Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Lukker- wrote: »
    AFAIK he trained boxing/kickboxing from his early teens and shifted his focus to boxing shortly after.

I think he started training MMA around 17/18 and he made his pro debut at 19.

Wow a late starter in comparison to most fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Wow a late starter in comparison to most fighters.

Not particularly.

Most fighters in the UFC would be the same, the difference being they might have done wrestling in highschool or trained BJJ from a young age giving them excellent foundation in grappling.

Conor's foundation is his striking, which he's been training from a young age. Different skillsets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Not particularly.

Most fighters in the UFC would be the same, the difference being they might have done wrestling in highschool or trained BJJ from a young age giving them excellent foundation in grappling.

Conor's foundation is his striking, which he's been training from a young age. Different skillsets.
    Cheers for the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

I decided to do something a little different for a promo for UFC 194. Have a look if you have a minute to spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Chase3 wrote: »
    I decided to do something a little different for a promo for UFC 194. Have a look if you have a minute to spare.

I laughed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

that's very good

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Chase3 wrote: »

Should have put in the part when McGregor tells Aldo he loves him at that press conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Standman wrote: »
    Should have put in the part when McGregor tells Aldo he loves him at that press conference.
    I did, it was one of the first things I thought of. However it didn't work, his tone of voice and the pacing wasn't right. I removed it and decided to be a little less obvious with that bit. I felt the bit I used worked better for it overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Ah ok. It's a good vid anyway.

• Advertisement

Just listening to a bit of teh conference call and McGregor said "when I KO Aldo I will then go on to fight the winner of the lightweight championship fight"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Just listening to a bit of teh conference call and McGregor said "when I KO Aldo I will then go on to fight the winner of the lightweight championship fight"
    he's a genius

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Conor mentioned in the scrum he was talking about himself Gunnar and Artem and said all three of them would be ready on Dec. 11 and Dec. 12. Was that a slip of the tongue, don't think Artem has been confirmed for TUF Finale obviously since it hasn't been aired yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Conor mentioned in the scrum he was talking about himself Gunnar and Artem and said all three of them would be ready on Dec. 11 and Dec. 12. Was that a slip of the tongue, don't think Artem has been confirmed for TUF Finale obviously since it hasn't been aired yet?

Haha! Don't think it has been confirmed, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It's always a given that the best from the TUF house always compete on the finale card, regardless of the results. All it means is he's on the card, could be in the finale itself or it could be just a prelim.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It was always a given that he'll was fighting on the finale, doesn't mean it's the actual TUF final.
    There are 5 fights still to be added to the finale. I'd hazard a guess that its the 9 round one winners plus Thanh Le as the most impressive loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

Can someone please clear this up for me. Arguing with my mate about this;

He's insistent that Conor tapped out in his fight against Duffy.

I'm insisting that he didn't physically tap out as ref saw he was unconscious (or unable to defend himself) so stepped in and stopped the fight.

The announcement at end of the fight was that Duffy won by tap out but did Conor actually tap out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I think he did - I watched it a while ago and im 99% sure he tapped - youtube it!

ardinn wrote: »
    I think he did - I watched it a while ago and im 99% sure he tapped - youtube it!

Watched it over and over again and it's unclear to me. Thought I read or heard that he was unconscious so ref stopped it. And commentator says that Conor didn't know much about the stoppage inferring that he was unconscious.

Looks like there's a bit of taping motion there to me anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Clearly Tapped his knee!!

Still not convinced!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

PIMPHO wrote: »
    Watched it over and over again and it's unclear to me. Thought I read or heard that he was unconscious so ref stopped it. And commentator says that Conor didn't know much about the stoppage inferring that he was unconscious.

I think the commentator was inferring that Conor didn't know as much about ground fighting (although the commentator sounded oblivious tbh). The commentator also said "he tapped him"

He clearly tapped on Duffy's left knee at the 2.33 mark. He was up within seconds, be wasn't unconscious.

WPx0T2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

PIMPHO wrote: »
    Still not convinced!

He tapped sorry mate just put it behind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He tapped, I remember in an interview before he said tapping was his biggest regret in his career and if it ever happened again he'd prefer to break an arm or get knocked unconscious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

He tapped, I remember in an interview before he said tapping was his biggest regret in his career and if it ever happened again he'd prefer to break an arm or get knocked unconscious.

Pure stupid breaking a limb just so your not tapping tbh. Its actually ridiculous, if he has you he has you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Pure stupid breaking a limb just so your not tapping tbh. Its actually ridiculous, if he has you he has you.

I agree with limbs, but if it meant winning a considerable amount of money you might hang in there a little longer.

Same for chokes, going out is really not that bad at all. Just looks worse than what it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭kettlehead

vvUIGp8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

kettlehead wrote: »
    vvUIGp8.jpg

Just like John Lennon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement