Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Yeah I have no idea how it'll go if he moves to 155, but I feel like he'd have a tough time with any top 5 guys. However I could see him winning against good fighters, just not with the dominance he's had in FW. I stand by my opinion that anyone with good wrestling will have him without much difficulty in 155. Khabib would have been an absolute nightmare for him but I don't think he'll ever be fit for fighting again unfortunately, too injury prone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

CatFromHue wrote:
    According to wikipedia McGregor is 5'9" and has a 74" reach

CatFromHue wrote:
    Cerrone is 6'1" with a 73" reach and has mentioned before that if he didn't get a title shot he wants to move up a weight class Dos Anjos is 5'9" with a 70" reach Pettis is 5' 10" with a 73" reach Henderson is 5'9" with a 70" reach Joe Duffy is 5'10" with a 73" reach

CatFromHue wrote:
    Considinering he's fought and won at Lightweight and looking at those numbers above imply he should be ok at the higher weight.

Surprised with those stats now tbh. So Conor will be just about par with those guys. The fact that he won't have to cut as much weight should make him much better. I'm not predicting outcomes but I think it'll be very intersting.

I think Conor will move up regardless of the outcome tomorrow, but if he beats Aldo, they will be worried

If he wins, is it possible he could get a title shot straight away, or will he have to work he's way up the LW rankings anyway?

If he went up to LW I think he'd have to walk into a title shot. That would be an unbelievable draw and they couldn't risk losing that draw if Conor was beaten by someone in a non title fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Surprised with those stats now tbh. So Conor will be just about par with those guys. The fact that he won't have to cut as much weight should make him much better. I'm not predicting outcomes but I think it'll be very intersting.

I think Conor will move up regardless of the outcome tomorrow, but if he beats Aldo, they will be worried

If he wins, is it possible he could get a title shot straight away, or will he have to work he's way up the LW rankings anyway?

Not knowing a whole lot about ufc from a pure business point of view I would make conor have about 6 fights before even going near dos anjos - Put him in at the shallow end - his "next big test" against the worst 155er, it builds him if he wins, then another few poor 155ers and then a few decent ones - its about money not ability. The will drain him for every penny they can!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

CatFromHue wrote: »
    According to wikipedia McGregor is 5'9" and has a 74" reach

Cerrone is 6'1" with a 73" reach and has mentioned before that if he didn't get a title shot he wants to move up a weight class
    Dos Anjos is 5'9" with a 70" reach
    Pettis is 5' 10" with a 73" reach
    Henderson is 5'9" with a 70" reach
    Joe Duffy is 5'10" with a 73" reach

Considinering he's fought and won at Lightweight and looking at those numbers above imply he should be ok at the higher weight.

Ye but what weight will those guys be on fight night compared to Conor?

• Advertisement

If he went up to LW I think he'd have to walk into a title shot. That would be an unbelievable draw and they couldn't risk losing that draw if Conor was beaten by someone in a non title fight.

Your missing the fact he'd be losing ufc - possibly billions if he did!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's wikipedia so you have to take it with a pinch of salt but roughly speaking they're usually ok.

ardinn wrote: »
    Your missing the fact he'd be losing ufc - possibly billions if he did!

I think he's too big to fight a bunch of cans though. And that division is stacked so finding guys that are easy wins would be tough without making it look extremely obvious. Although I suppose the casual fans won't know anyone but McGregor and the champion so maybe with a good hype job you're right, a slow build might work. I don't think they would though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I think he's too big to fight a bunch of cans though. And that division is stacked so finding guys that are easy wins would be tough without making it look extremely obvious. Although I suppose the casual fans won't know anyone but McGregor and the champion so maybe with a good hype job you're right, a slow build might work. I don't think they would though.

If Conor moves the lightweight there's zero chance he gets a slow build up. Straight in against a top 5 guy at least.

If Conor moves the lightweight there's zero chance he gets a slow build up. Straight in against a top 5 guy at least.

That's what I was thinking. Which is why I believe he'd get a title shot. Otherwise you risk losing the biggest draw.

• Advertisement

I get what your saying but all Dana has to say is "conor is no different from anyone else, he has to work his way through the division."

What happens if he wins? You have to promote another fighter to get him to the top of 155 and the only other fight is the rematch.

If he loses it'd be a disaster and he could well be finished - the worst thing about a smack talker is that once they are shut up the wither away and die.

You get 5 fights out of the division by building it. and then holding the title - Conor is too young to throw away. Keep him building building building. Along with the profits!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Hard to know as Nick Diaz lost to Condit, then lost to GSP at Welterweight and then moved up to fight Anderson Silva at Middleweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

ardinn wrote: »
    I get what your saying but all Dana has to say is "conor is no different from anyone else, he has to work his way through the division."

What happens if he wins? You have to promote another fighter to get him to the top of 155 and the only other fight is the rematch.

If he loses it'd be a disaster and he could well be finished - the worst thing about a smack talker is that once they are shut up the wither away and die.

You get 5 fights out of the division by building it. and then holding the title - Conor is too young to throw away. Keep him building building building. Along with the profits!

All that sounds very reasonable and sensible but it won't happen unless. The only way Conor will not be given a top 3 guy at lightweight is if he moves up after a loss.

As for your question what happens if he wins? You have a number of instantly promotable fights for him - Pettis, Cerrone, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

He's only moving up if he loses imo, and there's no way he gets an immediate shot if that happens. If he wins, despite what he says or wants, he's going to have to defend the belt a couple times.

bur wrote: »
    He's only moving up if he loses imo, and there's no way he gets an immediate shot if that happens. If he wins, despite what he says or wants, he's going to have to defend the belt a couple times.

Well after last night, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If Conor loses and Faber wins they will build upon there TUF chemistry and that will be the next fight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

JJayoo wrote: »
    If Conor loses and Faber wins they will build upon there TUF chemistry and that will be the next fight

could well happen but id say if faber wins hes going straight for tj....seems to be the money fight where they are concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

What channel is this fight on?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    What channel is this fight on?

Bt2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Jaysus lads, Conor looked deathly at the weigh in.... I remember he looked shocking last time out too, but he looked even worse last night... His face was so gaunt...

2 questions for lads in the know...
    1. How many pounds would he be expected to put on in the 24 hrs?
    2. When exactly would he have started the MAJOR weight loss to make weight?.. (I'm aware he'll have been coming down gradually over previous weeks... But he looked normal and big at the pressers early in the week... So when did he start to cut his water weight or whatever gets him down to the scale?)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

2 questions for lads in the know...
    1. How many pounds would he be expected to put on in the 24 hrs?
    2. When exactly would he have started the MAJOR weight loss to make weight?..

1. About 20 pounds
    2. Gradually over the last 5 days.

Taking in very little carbs - 50 grams maybe a day. Eating small meals made up of mostly protein and fat and then limiting his water intake over the 5 days right down to nothing. Then hot baths and saunas to sweat out excess water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Well after last night, yes.

Not really, if Mendes won he would of had to rematch him. After the Aldo rematch.

bur wrote: »
    Not really, if Mendes won he would of had to rematch him. After the Aldo rematch.

He's already beaten Mendes, can be played off as a been there done that situation. I was talking more about Edgar's calling Dana out after he won and then Dana confirming the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

He's already beaten Mendes, can be played off as a been there done that situation. I was talking more about Edgar's calling Dana out after he won and then Dana confirming the fight.

I missed this, what did Dana say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Mr.S wrote: »
    Why do they do weigh-ins a day before the fight, if they just put the weight back on?

Doing them on the same day will lead to fighers fighting extremely dehydrated, and dying. As used to happen pretty commonly in boxing many years ago. Not safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Mr.S wrote: »
    Why do they do weigh-ins a day before the fight, if they just put the weight back on?

So they have an even scale to work by.

You reach 145 weight just like the next fighter. If you cant you don't fight at that weight class.

moneyman wrote: »
    I missed this, what did Dana say?

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/12/12/9951990/dana-white-nobody-can-deny-frankie-edgar-anymore

Said nobody can deny Frankie a title shot anymore. Now while that's not a confirmation per se, it's as good as you'll get a few minutes after the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I certainly think he would have enough to have him fighting to the top 5 at least, although as the above states, losing his reach advantage in addition to losing it to a talker opponent, and an apponent who is used to fighting at this weight would make it difficult for him. Throw into the mic a ground fighter and that would makes things even. Tougher for him.

He would however still make an impact and a lot of money

The tallest featherweight champion there has ever been is 5 ft 10. The average height is 172 cm, or 5 ft 8. McGregor's reach is superior to all of them at 74 inches.

I think he can be world champ at that weight. If the next weight wasn't 170 and there was something in between, even 165, he could probably fight at that too. The sparse weight divisions make it tough for him.

Personally I'd like to see him defend his title against Edgar and then move up to lightweight. So he only has two more fights at FW. Aldo and Edgar then he'll have "obliterated the division". Then straight in to a top 15 guy in LW or maybe a chance of him becoming title holder at both weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭12thofthe12th

fecking come on!!

• Advertisement

I've been extremely critical of Conor recently. I thought Jose would win this easily. I was so so wrong. And I'm so glad I was. Conor you ****ing beauty! Great day for Ireland and unbelievably proud. Hope this gets kids in Ireland into the sport!

Delighted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement