Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

great night all round, Conor is a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jimb433

go conor your the man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

He's the real deal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

That left hand is lethal. Will we see a rematch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

That left hand is lethal. Will we see a rematch?

I think it has to be Frankie Edgar next for my money.... But then, how do you deny an outgoing champion that hadn't been beaten in 10 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

He beat an old aldo...sure, but he's never faced a Frankie Edgar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

He beat an old aldo...sure, but he's never faced a Frankie Edgar

He is not an old Aldo, he is 29!
    He caught him with a perfect left.
    I bet a rematch would not end nearly as quickly.
    Not sure MMA fans want to see a rematch though.
    It has already been a long 12 months.
    Would be great to see him face Edgar in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I watched the 13 seconds clip. Crikey it's a bit violent. Those 2 punches after the left-hand were a bit unnecessary surely.

I watched the 13 seconds clip. Crikey it's a bit violent. Those 2 punches after the left-hand were a bit unnecessary surely.

You gotta fight on until the ref stops it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

joker_notsureifserious.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Here is my post fight article for UFC 194, including how Conor did it and what comes next. Now I'm off to get a drink, it's only 2 am in Vegas!

http://talkingbrawlsmma.com/one-night-in-vegas-conor-mcgregor-and-ufc-194/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

How many videos of McGregor must Aldo have watched and still within 13 seconds he walks straight on to McGregor's much balllyhooed left hand. Fair play to Conor though, he backed up all the talk. A lot of people dont like him cos of the trash talk but he's one hell of a brave guy.

Can wait for Joe Duffy during the week with his "And what other sport are you rewarded for kicking a man in the head". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Cant believe all the people on my Facebook saying it was a fix.

What does he have to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

killwill wrote: »
    He is not an old Aldo, he is 29!
    He caught him with a perfect left.
    I bet a rematch would not end nearly as quickly.
    Not sure MMA fans want to see a rematch though.
    It has already been a long 12 months.
    Would be great to see him face Edgar in Ireland

I was doing the whole 'he's not faced a wrestler' gig...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

killwill wrote: »
    You gotta fight on until the ref stops it.

At that point the ref came over to stop it and the 2 punches came after no?

I was doing the whole 'he's not faced a wrestler' gig...

Oh right.
    I took it up as Aldo is a spent force.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

No the ref needs to literally get between you, I think, not sure of the exact rules on dis-engaging but if there is a shadow of a doubt that the ref is stopping it, keep punching!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Well that sure did end quick didnt it.

I really thought Conor would do him in 1 round, but i didnt think he'd do him with the first punch he threw. But the timing on that was beautiful, a very similar shot to one Manny Pacquio caught David Diaz with a few years ago. Not a huge punch, but perfectly timed.

McGregor seems to have that prime time Chuck Liddell power at the minute, once he tags you, there's only one outcome, sleepy time!!!

Delighted for the fella, and delighted for the country.

Parade on O'Connell street perhaps? :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

I think it's a lot harder for MMA referees. In a split second he has to jump in and protect the fighter, and at that stage the fight is finished. There is no standing eight count, or any opportunity for the referee to further assess whether the man is capable of fighting on or not.

I thought first of all that he jumped in a little too quick, as Aldo didnt seem too bad when he got back to his feet. But McGregor was delivering punches straight to his head at the time the ref jumped in so I think it's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It was the greatest pleasure on earth to see that performance in person. Worth every single penny to see one of Ireland's greatest all-time athletes (that cannot be denied at this stage) and possibly an MMA legend in the making. The thing that caught me by surprise the most since I arrived over here, was that when anyone found out I was Irish, they wouldn't shut up about him, even the ones who had little to no interest in the sport. He's the talk of the town and rightly so, and his star is only rising.

Anyways it's nearly 3am and I'm shattered, just felt like I had to post that. As soon as I get home on Tuesday, I'm booking the flights and hotel for 200 whether I get a ticket or not, because the atmosphere alone over here is worth it when Mystic Mac is in town.

Well done Conor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

JustTheOne wrote: »

What does he have to do?

What YOU have to do, is ignore this clueless idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 86,505 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was that the biggest fight in UFC history as in attendance and ticket sales?

Well done to Conor, always backs up his words

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just watched the Megan event cap interview with Dana and Dana was saying that John Kavanagh told him that he doesn't want Conor making 145lbs anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Just watched the Megan event cap interview with Dana and Dana was saying that John Kavanagh told him that he doesn't want Conor making 145lbs anymore

Yeah it was said in the presser Conor seemed to just brush it off and says it's a tough cut but he has no trouble making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thegrowreport

Axwell wrote: »
    1. About 20 pounds
    2. Gradually over the last 5 days.

Taking in very little carbs - 50 grams maybe a day. Eating small meals made up of mostly protein and fat and then limiting his water intake over the 5 days right down to nothing. Then hot baths and saunas to sweat out excess water.

Seems for this fight McGregor put back on 29 pounds! Came in at 174lbs on Saturday night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

ASOT wrote: »
    Yeah it was said in the presser Conor seemed to just brush it off and says it's a tough cut but he has no trouble making it.

I reckon Conor's in a better position if he doesn't rule out staying in the division.

Its a tough cut and moving up would be much easier but if he says he will never make the cut again well shortest title reign in history. Conor's always been a great draw but he is bigger as a champion than as a challenger. Once he gives up the belt he knocks 20-25% off his value.

No matter what Conor's decision is he won't announce a permanent move up divisions until he is certain. Conor would love to be able to keep the belt for a while and not defend it moving up a division and then making the decision as to whether he wants to defend it when there is someone that is just demanding a championship opportunity. Unfortunately for him Edgar and Aldo both have strong claims to a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

JustTheOne wrote: »

What does he have to do?

Few people have said that to me today, hope it's not the case as it would be a disaster for the sport, don't really follow the sport but I read on Facebook that the rousey fight Was fixed, has that been proven?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

just found this, skip about a minute in, funny enough to watch,hard to think thats not even 3 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Few people have said that to me today, hope it's not the case as it would be a disaster for the sport, don't really follow the sport but I read on Facebook that the rousey fight Was fixed, has that been proven?
    Are you actually serious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Yeah it was confirmed to be a fix alright, if you look closely Rousey clearly took a dive

ronda-rousey-knock-out-ko.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement