Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

BOHtox wrote: »
    Agreed he will be on the 200 card.

Kavanagh said today that McGregor wants to fight in early-mid spring. Now I don't doubt Conor does want to fight mid spring the only concern I have is the UFC not wanting to potential risk or lose their big star before 200.

From their point of view:
    Imagine if he gets injured
    Imagine if he loses to Edgar
    Imagine if he goes up to LW and loses.

Any of this before UFC 200 would be terrible for UFC and McGregor.
    Now I don't think he'd lose and I'm sure he wants to fight I just can't see UFC letting him

I think he'll fight at least once more before UFC 200 at least.

The UFC don't particularly care about protecting there stars, just using them as money spinners while they can. Look at Ronda, that's not someone who was managed well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

shrewdness wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Conor's up to no. 3 in the P4P list.

http://www.ufc.com/rankings?id=

Thats one ridiculous list, mighty mouse no1? lol

1( Jones
    2( Mcgregor
    3( Mighty Mouse

In terms of pure domination, the women need to have there own list imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

evo2000 wrote: »

1( Jones
    2( Mcgregor
    3( Mighty Mouse

Yeah crazy to have a guy who's had 7 title defences, is on a 9 fight win streak and has never been beaten at the weight class number 1. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Thats one ridiculous list, mighty mouse no1?
    It's not a list of the most popular champs. DJ is deservedly no1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Delighted for Mighty Mouse, doesn't always get the recognition he deserves and he's earning a pittance compared to other champions but never complains about it. He's the deserved P4P champ too, maybe Jones takes it back when he returns and beats Cormier but Mighty Mouse has more title defenses then all the other current champs combined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

1( Jones
    2( Mcgregor
    3( Mighty Mouse

You've the same guys in the top three, just in a different order, hardly miles away from each other.

P4P is a fairly bizarre ridiculous concept anyway. There's absolutely no way to objectively compare people indifferent weight classes. It's not like weightlifting where a defined number can be compared. So it's all for pointless really.
    If Deleterious Johnson was scaled up to 205 lbs, he probably be 6'3". :eek:

Agree about the women too, how can we possibly rank the two comparatively.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Yeah crazy to have a guy who's had 7 title defences, is on a 9 fight win streak and has never been beaten at the weight class number 1. :rolleyes:

Yeah the fella that couldnt finish his dinner is above the likes of jones and mcgregor who laid waste to there divisions... not grind out decisions, P4P Might mouse would be put to sleep by either of them.

Great fighter MM p4p no.1 simply no not when theres dominant fighters like mcgregor and jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

Yeah the fella that couldnt finish his dinner is above the likes of jones and mcgregor who laid waste to there divisions... not grind out decisions, P4P Might mouse would be put to sleep by either of them.

Great fighter MM p4p no.1 simply no not when theres dominant fighters like mcgregor and jones.

Jon Jones' last 3 fights were decisions, MM has 2 finishes in his last 3 fights so your argument about not being able to finish his dinner has no basis.

P4P listings are subjective, they don't really mean anything, this discussion could go around in circles forever, the 3 great fighters all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

not the best source:

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/ufc/conor-mcgregor-could-miss-six-7014647
    McGregor must get his left wrist X-rayed and cleared by a doctor or he will be sitting out until June 12, 2016

Probably just standard precautions with the media overhyping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Why would you have him at #3 then?

If Mighty Mouse was bigger and maintained his technicality & ability to mix up his standing & ground game, he'd be a scary, scary man to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

wtf???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

GSP_02.jpg

Well there goes your argument about pointing people

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If McGregor goes up to 155, he's not coming back to 145... that's my prediction.

So I think he fights Edgar and if he wins, that's the division cleared for the moment, he goes up to fight at 155 , possibly holds two belts and then relinquishes the 145 one. He'll get a straight shot at the champion too, its just too big a money fight to do some contender nonsense beforehand. :)

The reasoning being, that if he goes to 155, it cant just be water weight, he'll have/want to put on some muscle to contend with the monsters in that division. I just don't see him returning to 145 if he does that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i'd say he just wants to hold both belts and retire, he said he wanted to get in and get out with a shit ton of money and since he's in the next Vin Diesel movie he probably has his eye on being an actor. You do both, i assume that the acting is easier right?

hey the [nocensor][/nocensor] tags are broken

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Do you mean the spoiler tags?

no the [nocensor][/nocensor] tags

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=nocensor

edit ; i forgot how it worked :)

ollieo wrote: »
    Jon Jones' last 3 fights were decisions, MM has 2 finishes in his last 3 fights so your argument about not being able to finish his dinner has no basis.

P4P listings are subjective, they don't really mean anything, this discussion could go around in circles forever, the 3 great fighters all the same.

It has plenty of basis, look at the competition they ve faced even in there last 3 fights, look at who mighty mouse sub d... hardly world beaters but regardless i think jones and mcgregor are better, also putting him as number 1 because of how many title defense his had is daft aswell the flyweight division is very hollow

Dont get wrong tho i like mighty mouse and do think his good i just dont think his p4p no.1 good..

It has plenty of basis, look at the competition they ve faced even in there last 3 fights, look at who mighty mouse sub d... hardly world beaters but regardless i think jones and mcgregor are better, also putting him as number 1 because of how many title defense his had is daft aswell the flyweight division is very hollow

Dont get wrong tho i like mighty mouse and do think his good i just dont think his p4p no.1 good..

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/mma/one-brazilian-journalist-was-extremely-bitter-after-ufc-194-judging-by-his-p4p-voting/55166

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

Tigger wrote: »
    i'd say he just wants to hold both belts and retire, he said he wanted to get in and get out with a shit ton of money and since he's in the next Vin Diesel movie he probably has his eye on being an actor. You do both, i assume that the acting is easier right?

hey the [nocensor][/nocensor] tags are broken

He's signed up to a vin diesel movie? :eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Tigger wrote: »

I can't claim to be a fighter, I only train Muay Thai, at 45 years old I don't really want to start competing :)

I've done some serious acting, sure. Acting is certainly a lot easier than getting the sh*t knocked out of you yes :)

But just like fighting, anyone who just rocks up and decides they are going to do it, is going to get embarrassed. It takes a lot of training, the right mindset, long hours and dedication. I've been on set for 16 hours to get maybe 8 minutes of footage.
    Doing a play (which is what I usually do) is even tougher. Imagine recording a feature film where the entire cast has to be do the entire film from start to finish without a single mistake or stoppage, line perfect, every entrance and exit perfect and they have to do it night after night after night. That's what a play is. You get 8 weeks typically to go from zero to opening night.

To be honest with you, being the top of *any* field of human endeavour takes a near lunatic level of focus on it to the exclusion of just about everything else in your life.

DeVore wrote: »
    I can't claim to be a fighter, I only train Muay Thai, at 45 years old I don't really want to start competing :)

I've done some serious acting, sure. Acting is certainly a lot easier than getting the sh*t knocked out of you yes :)

But just like fighting, anyone who just rocks up and decides they are going to do it, is going to get embarrassed. It takes a lot of training, the right mindset, long hours and dedication. I've been on set for 16 hours to get maybe 8 minutes of footage.
    Doing a play (which is what I usually do) is even tougher. Imagine recording a feature film where the entire cast has to be do the entire film from start to finish without a single mistake or stoppage, line perfect, every entrance and exit perfect and they have to do it night after night after night. That's what a play is. You get 8 weeks typically to go from zero to opening night.

To be honest with you, being the top of *any* field of human endeavour takes a near lunatic level of focus on it to the exclusion of just about everything else in your life.
    i'd say he'll do action movies and the acting in them will be mainly stunt fighting and a few lines of dialog, if the Rock can do it ....
    doing a play would be much harder than doing that

yeah he's gonna be in the third XXX movie
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/two-hollywood-stars-show-interest-in-working-with-conor-mcgregor-711581.html

True, its not exactly On Golden Pond alright lol! :)

Still, I'd be happy to see him do other things, I like seeing people who work for something get their reward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Re. the acting role.. I've just finished Rousey's autobiography and on her first meeting with Stallone he predicted she'd just cursed her fighting career by stepping into acting.

Maybe CmG should have a chat with 'Mystic Sly' :P

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Tigger wrote:
    i'd say he'll do action movies and the acting in them will be mainly stunt fighting and a few lines of dialog, if the Rock can do it ....

But the rock has years of acting in WWE behind him...lol

But the rock has years of acting in WWE behind him...lol

i thought of that myself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

The 194 medical suspensions were released earlier, McGregor received 180 days for his left wrist or needs a doctors clearance, did he injure it before the fight or was it from the one punch he landed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Whosthis wrote: »
    The 194 medical suspensions were released earlier, McGregor received 180 days for his left wrist or needs a doctors clearance, did he injure it before the fight or was it from the one punch he landed?

From the hammer Fists after he dropped José as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

You referred to McGregor and Jones as dominant champions compared to DJ, you claimed DJ couldn't finish his dinner.

I just pointed out Jones' last 3 fights went to decision compared to DJ, the guy 'who can't finish his dinner' finishing 2 of his last 3. So there is no basis to the argument he can't finish fights.

His opponents may not be big names but they have been the best the division has to offer.

On a side note, the last true LHW Jones finished was Rampage. Belfort, Sonnen and Machida were/are now MWs, I'm not taking anything away from Jones but when you start to talk about DJ's opponents not being world beaters, some of Jones' best wins were against MWs essentially.

I'm not going to get stuck in a roundabout argument, we can agree to disagree, but DJ can finish fights (and his dinner).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Found this post from Conor back in 2011 and thought it was pretty amazing how he has always held this attitude.
    NOTORIOUS. wrote: »
    ...And of course i believe in myself,,,i believe in myself more than anything,,,to make it in this game you ave to believe in yourself,, over all else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement