Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

DJ is a beast but lets be real hes beating the likes of horuguchi and chris cariaso,His K.O of Benavidez was beautiful but hes done nothing on the level of Jon Jones,I actually have dc ahead of DJ in the p4p rankings,

Conor is different to them in hes cleared out the division on the way up sometimes when someones a champ they clear it out but hes wiped them all out before getting the title only edgar is left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

ollieo wrote: »
    You referred to McGregor and Jones as dominant champions compared to DJ, you claimed DJ couldn't finish his dinner.

I just pointed out Jones' last 3 fights went to decision compared to DJ, the guy 'who can't finish his dinner' finishing 2 of his last 3. So there is no basis to the argument he can't finish fights.

His opponents may not be big names but they have been the best the division has to offer.

On a side note, the last true LHW Jones finished was Rampage. Belfort, Sonnen and Machida were/are now MWs, I'm not taking anything away from Jones but when you start to talk about DJ's opponents not being world beaters, some of Jones' best wins were against MWs essentially.

I'm not going to get stuck in a roundabout argument, we can agree to disagree, but DJ can finish fights (and his dinner).

Machida was a lhw he was the lhw champion at one point... not bad for a mw... Steroid belfort was most certainly a LHW.. chael sonnen was a mw, All of the above are miles better than anything DJ has faced,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I notice you over looked my gsp pointing people, not suit you to argue GSP wasn really any good since he only really pointed people?

I notice you over looked my gsp pointing people, not suit you to argue GSP wasn really any good since he only really pointed people?

GSP retired he has no relevance to the current P4P list

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

evo2000 wrote: »
    Machida was a lhw he was the lhw champion at one point... not bad for a mw... Steroid belfort was most certainly a LHW.. chael sonnen was a mw, All of the above are miles better than anything DJ has faced,

Ya and BJ Penn once fought Machida at LHW so I think thats irrelevant.

Mighty Mouse should be number one he has been a dominant champion nobody is saying he'll be fighting Jon Jones or Conor next. The whole P4P is skewed otherwise I think people would agree they are mad;Joanna should be higher too she has the same amount of defenses as Dillashaw (who one which of was Joe Soto a replacement).Rockhold wasn't in the rankings but jumps Dos Anjos.

• Advertisement

Ya and BJ Penn once fought Machida at LHW so I think thats irrelevant.

Mighty Mouse should be number one he has been a dominant champion nobody is saying he'll be fighting Jon Jones or Conor next. The whole P4P is skewed otherwise I think people would agree they are mad;Joanna should be higher too she has the same amount of defenses as Dillashaw (who one which of was Joe Soto a replacement).Rockhold wasn't in the rankings but jumps Dos Anjos.

So the P4p should be done based on how many title defenses you have? seems to be the general consensus, mighty mouse should not be number one for the simple fact there are p4p better fighters than him out there.

Mcgregor, jones would both hand him his ass p4p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

So the P4p should be done based on how many title defenses you have? seems to be the general consensus, mighty mouse should not be number one for the simple fact there are p4p better fighters than him out there.

Mcgregor, jones would both hand him his ass p4p

What a stupid thing to say.

Even more stupid than the list in the first place.

mdwexford wrote: »
    What a stupid thing to say.

Even more stupid than the list in the first place.

Please enlighten me as to why it is stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Def agree with Mighty Mouse being the p4p.

Please enlighten me as to why it is stupid?

Because it's impossible to say who would win made up p4p fights.

You can't compare fighters who have a weight difference of 80 pounds.

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    Because it's impossible to say who would win made up p4p fights.

You can't compare fighters who have a weight difference of 80 pounds.

Well thats whats being discussed... who is the better fighter p4p i think mcgregor and jones are better than dj p4p, nothing stupid about it, its an opinion..

If you disagree with it give a reason why, otherwise just stay quiet dont just sit there saying "oh that so stupid"

Well thats whats being discussed... who is the better fighter p4p i think mcgregor and jones are better than dj p4p, nothing stupid about it, its an opinion..

If you disagree with it give a reason why, otherwise just stay quiet dont just sit there saying "oh that so stupid"

I think the whole p4p thing is nonsense so it's hard to discuss reasonably.

The only way you can compare fighters across weight classes is by how solid their technique is really.

Speed and power don't come into it because lighter fighters have more speed and heavier fighters have more power and the gap will narrow if they are the same weight.

Even sounds like I'm spouting rubbish myself so I'll bow out of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

If you’re doing a p4p list I think difficulty of opponent has to come into it and the 125 division is quite threadbare in that department.

I just don’t put the same value on long reigns when compared to relatively shorter periods on top against tougher opponents (especially if those victories were emphatic).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

I dont think flyweight is as bad as people make out.

The thing is Might Mouse is so good he makes the other fighters look poor Dodson, Horiguchi, Bagautinov, Benavidez etc etc are all great fighters and all his wins since the McCall draw have been excellent.

Then he has potential match ups against Cejudo and Smolka. Johnson is definitively deserving of p4p no1 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Civic reception in Dublin, sometime in late January according to RTE news.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Before the fight i was totally confident we'd get the Croke Park fight (First Defense), now i'm 95% sure it won't happen this year.
    Conor would have mentioned it in the post fight interviews but he didn't, and if he did fight in Croker he'd lose around $4mill in his PPV cut, not a chance it happens i think

scudzilla wrote: »
    Before the fight i was totally confident we'd get the Croke Park fight (First Defense), now i'm 95% sure it won't happen this year.
    Conor would have mentioned it in the post fight interviews but he didn't, and if he did fight in Croker he'd lose around $4mill in his PPV cut, not a chance it happens i think

I reckon he ll need the right opponent to make croker happen, (Pacquiao v Mayweather) type fight, so the interest will cancel out the chance of those losses..i def cant see em doing croker for any ole opponent

Then you ve the weather, residents who will bitch and moan about it ect..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I personally think he has to lose and maybe more than once to ever fight on a non ppv card or even to fight here in Ireland in the 3 arena again,he said he wont be sticking around for long either in the game once the moneys made.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭kettlehead

scudzilla wrote: »

Would the residents association allow an MMA event take place there? I don't think they would.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

They might not have a choice. Its music events that have a veto over (after 6 in any calendar year) as I understand it. Sports is a different thing (cue the arguments its not a sport!).

I don't think we see Croker anyway... just too many obstacles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

kettlehead wrote: »
    Would the residents association allow an MMA event take place there? I don't think they would.

'Non-GAA sporting events do not require a special events license' (Page 16: http://bit.ly/1YiC6jW)

Hardly definitive but it would negate the need to worry about residents association.

As Mellor mentioned on the other thred, financial viability is a much larger issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Some fella representing the residents already said they would oppose a UFC fight due to its violent nature and somehow I don't see the GAA endorsing this either. But money does talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

rob316 wrote: »
    Some fella representing the residents already said they would oppose a UFC fight due to its violent nature and somehow I don't see the GAA endorsing this either. But money does talk.

Screw the gaa, they got most of the money to build croker from the tax payer anyway!

Is should be us deciding:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

rob316 wrote: »

The same crowd of dubs who were cheering away when Diarmuid Connolly was let away with punching one of our players twice. Hypocrites. :rolleyes:

Don't ever expect the event to happen, but it would be one of the biggest in Irish sporting history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The cut off for any event in croke Park is 11pm. Thats the obstacle that kills it. Anything beyond that is immaterial. It's not happening, let it go.

It would be a ****ing shiiiite venue for MMA anyway, I'd hate to pay €150 to sit at the top of the Hogan stand watching two ants move around a fifty pence piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

The cut off for any event in croke Park is 11pm. Thats the obstacle that kills it. Anything beyond that is immaterial. It's not happening, let it go.

It would be a ****ing shiiiite venue for MMA anyway, I'd hate to pay €150 to sit at the top of the Hogan stand watching two ants move around a fifty pence piece.

Ahh you'd still go though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The the obstacle I mentioned in the other thread. It's the main problem but its not unchangeable. But changing it opens up submissions for the residents committee.

Aviva would be better imo. And based on prices for 193, it would be way less than €150 for top tier. I'd have to be or else it wouldn't sell out.

MGM still does the same gate as an irish stadium show though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,025 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Screw the gaa, they got most of the money to build croker from the tax payer anyway!

Is should be us deciding:)
    just to clarify the GAA have been fine so far....one dickhead from the residents association(ie not the GAA) said he "hopes" the GAA won't endorse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,025 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

croke park is sentiment only...would be the worst venue ever for UFC.....if you follow GAA it can be hard to notice but that field is F**ing huge!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

croke park is sentiment only...would be the worst venue ever for UFC.....if you follow GAA it can be hard to notice but that field is F**ing huge!!!

Totally. Croke Park is way too big.

Maybe the Aviva.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement