Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Did anyone watch Conlons wins? hes a lovely flowy boxer :pac:

He shades decisions any time I see him I dont t hink hes very dominant in his field,Conor doesnt just win in his field he wins in spectacular fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Gaygooner wrote: »
    Fight many amateur boxing fights? They wear 10oz gloves

so what ? in mma they wear less. if someone is saying Conlan's achievements this year are greater than McGregor's well then fu ck me pink

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

AMATEUR boxing is Ireland most successful Olympic sport

Cheers for that, it had absolutely nothing to do with what I said but cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

eh, no it is not, what mcgregor has done is much more than Conlan - Conlan does well in an amateur fencing game where they wear pillows. McGregor has taken over MMA, made a mint and is a PRO world champion - big difference

Way more boxers than mma fighters in the world. Your first sentence is just ridiculous. Are you saying that the more punishment you take the better sportsman you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Gamebred wrote: »

He shades decisions any time I see him I dont t hink hes very dominant in his field,Conor doesnt just win in his field he wins in spectacular fashion.

Really?

Euro champ, World Champ, overall best boxer in the euro's where I think he only lost something like 2 rounds. Sounds pretty dominant to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

so what ? in mma they wear less. if someone is saying Conlan's achievements this year are greater than McGregor's well then fu ck me pink

Your place or mine???

He shades decisions any time I see him

is that not amateur pillow fighting all summed up ?

That's why he wins so many boxer of the tournaments

is that not amateur pillow fighting all summed up ?

Ever do it??? Or just being unnecessarily patronising???

Its obviously a bigger achievement. Barely anybody in the world does MMA/UFC relative to boxing. Being a better promoter doesn't mean you're a better sportsman

• Advertisement

Ever do it??? Or just being unnecessarily patronising???

i have thrown and been hit by 4 and 6 oz gloves, so the pillows hold no fears for me

John_D80 wrote: »
    Really?

Euro champ, World Champ, overall best boxer in the euro's where I think he only lost something like 2 rounds. Sounds pretty dominant to me.

Yeah he wins but you wont ever see him demolish people a typical 29-28 kind of winner,Conor doesnt just win he demolishes his opponents which is worth more weight imo.

i have thrown and been hit by 4 and 6 oz gloves, so the pillows hold no fears for me

That's a no so

Yeah he wins but you wont ever see him demolish people a typical 29-28 kind of winner,Conor doesnt just win he demolishes his opponents which is worth more weight imo.

Unless the quality is so low it makes him look better

Its obviously a bigger achievement. Barely anybody in the world does MMA/UFC relative to boxing. Being a better promoter doesn't mean you're a better sportsman[/QU

it is given away in it's name, amateur === most ain't worth a wan k in the PRO game. The winner should not be the one who plays the game with the most players, if it was then McIllroy would win cause there are more world wide golfers than mma / boxers

Sorry mate but you argument is so flawed its almost unbelievable. Just because Mcgregor gets hit harder by lighter gloves isnt any reason that he would be more deserving.

In 99% of sports, nobody gets hit at all!! So does Mcgregor automatically deserve the award more than them?

John_D80 wrote: »
    Sorry mate but you argument is so flawed its almost unbelievable. Just because Mcgregor gets hit harder by lighter gloves isnt any reason that he would be more deserving.

In 99% of sports, nobody gets hit at all!! So does Mcgregor automatically deserve the award more than them?[/QUOT

off to fencing with you.

Never said McGregor deserved it, just can;t see how Conlan does

Eh I think the fact that he only lost 2 or 3 rounds in the entire Euro's proves the point that he is NOT a typical 29-28 winner. Duh!!! :rolleyes:

Its obviously a bigger achievement. Barely anybody in the world does MMA/UFC relative to boxing. Being a better promoter doesn't mean you're a better sportsman[/QU

it is given away in it's name, amateur === most ain't worth a wan k in the PRO game. The winner should not be the one who plays the game with the most players, if it was then McIllroy would win cause there are more world wide golfers than mma / boxers

Had McIlroy won a major this year I'd say yes - but he didn't

McIlroy hasn't had a good year this year, he didn't win anything great. Actually loads of Olympic amateur boxers go pro and quickly become major forces in the pro game

• Advertisement

Unless the quality is so low it makes him look better

Ah im out not even gonna debate opponent quality differential between mma and amatuer boxing,I respect both disciplines and genuinely dont care about made up awards with no real meaning.

That's a no so

if i took you down you would be very sore

Ah im out not even gonna debate opponent quality differential between mma and amatuer boxing,I respect both disciplines and genuinely dont care about made up awards with no real meaning.

well aren't you a great saint

Irrelevant

off to fencing with you.

Never said McGregor deserved it, just can;t see how Conlan does

In 2015 alone, he secured qualification for the olympics, won the european championships, where he was named best boxer of the tourney, won the world championships, and was named as top ranked Bantamweight in the world.

Thats how he won it.

Not if I lubed up first :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

McGregor is at the very top of his sport. Also had the eyes of the world on him. Practically changed the way fighters approach mma. You don't have Vin Diesel asking Conlon to star in a film. Conlon is behind all the pros. Olympics gold would make it close as Sean Sheehan mentioned on Twitter.

stephenl15 wrote: »
    McGregor is at the very top of his sport. Also had the eyes of the world on him. Practically changed the way fighters approach mma. You don't have Vin Diesel asking Conlon to star in a film. Conlon is behind all the pros. Olympics gold would make it close as Sean Sheehan mentioned on Twitter.

He isn't Bejing all the pros at all, I'd say he's better boxer that 90% of them already before taking off his vest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

rte show didn't give the prize to a fighter from tv3
    quelle surprise

• Advertisement

McGregor is at the very top of his sport.

So is Conlan
    Also had the eyes of the world on him.

Irrelevant
    Practically changed the way fighters approach mma.

He has made a lot of people think admittedly but its reaching a bit to say he has changed they way fighter approach the game.
    You don't have Vin Diesel asking Conlon to star in a film.

TOTALLY irrelevant
    Conlon is behind all the pros.

Why should amateur status affect someone eligibilty. By that logic, no GAA player or any Olympic athlete could win it.
    Olympics gold would make it close as Sean Sheehan mentioned on Twitter.

So olypic qualification, a european championship gold and a world championship gold in the same year isnt enough?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement