Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Tigger wrote: »
    rte show didn't give the prize to a fighter from tv3
    quelle surprise

Journalists voted on it. Some people here seem to believe hype over actual achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

rte show didn't give the prize to a fighter from tv3
    quelle surprise

You do know nobody in RTE has any say over who wins it dont you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Conlon is a worthy winner of the prize. I wouldn't have begrudged McGregor it either but Conlon has been through some schedule the last year or so and rolled through all of it right at the top. It hasn't the 'media' or sparkle that MMA has but it doesn't make it any less of an acheivement. Using viewing figures or the eyes of the world as a reason to win anything doesn't hold water between different sports, what entertains people doesn't always denote the difficulty or make it automatically a higher achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

John_D80 wrote: »
    no
    who are the panel please?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT%C3%89_Sports_Person_of_the_Year

shane lowrey won on wiki

the rte website says this

The winner of the RTÉ Sport Sports Person of the Year will be selected by a panel of RTÉ Sport journalists and editorial staff.

• Advertisement

Journalists voted on it. Some people here seem to believe hype over actual achievement

The winner of the RTÉ Sport Sports Person of the Year will be selected by a panel of RTÉ Sport journalists and editorial staff.

http://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-office/press-releases/2015/1214/753415-nominees-announced-for-the-rte-sport-awards-2015/

Yeah but its not like its the RTE execs are making the call in fairness, thats what I meant.

no
    who are the panel please?
    Yeah but its not like its the RTE execs are making the call in fairness, thats what I meant.

no thats not what you said

nobody in rte lol

no thats not what you said

OOOOoooh take me out and shoot me!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

lol i'm was just saying my opinion and you made stuff up to shoot me down
    rte editorial staff have votes in this
    look at the google analytics for mcgregor or conlon

Top Trending Sportspeople

Conor McGregor
    Jonah Lomu
    Ronda Rousey
    Tyson Fury
    Stephanie Roche
    Jurgen Klopp
    Manny Pacquiao
    Pedro
    Ian Madigan
    Shane Long

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

stephenl15 wrote: »
    You don't have Vin Diesel asking Conlon to star in a film..

Ah sure there you have it right there, complete madness they gave it to Conlon based on this.. :rolleyes:

lol i'm was just saying my opinion and you made stuff up to shoot me down
    rte editorial staff have votes in this
    look at the google analytics for mcgregor or conlon

Top Trending Sportspeople

Conor McGregor
    Jonah Lomu
    Ronda Rousey
    Tyson Fury
    Stephanie Roche
    Jurgen Klopp
    Manny Pacquiao
    Pedro
    Ian Madigan
    Shane Long

What does google analytics have to do with it? Its an award for Irish sports people. Totally irrelevant.

I'm sure Henry Sheflin didn't feature very highly on google analytics in the year he won it either.

What does google analytics have to do with it? Its an award for Irish sports people. Totally irrelevant.

I'm sure Henry Sheflin didn't feature very highly on google analytics in the year he won it either.

its the names used in Ireland of sports people this year
    how does it not feature
    its what regular non rte employees "googled"
    i don't get how you don't get its significance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Axwell wrote: »
    Ah sure there you have it right there, complete madness they gave it to Conlon based on this.. :rolleyes:

Haha cmon you know I'm not basing my argument on that :P just using it to show what an impact McGregor made

how does it not feature

So because he was googled more than Conlan he deserves to be named Sportsperson of the year ahead of him?

Seriously, have a good think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

how does it not feature

So he's a better sportsman because he's more well known. Fair play to ya.....

So because he was googled more than Conlan he deserves to be named Sportsperson of the year ahead of him?

Seriously, have a good think about that.
    CONLON WASN'T IN THE TOP 10

THINK ABOUT THAT
    boxing is a bit crap these days
    rte love it but its a bit crap, i stayed up to watch manny paq do nothing i staayed up to watch tyson do nothing
    i stayed up to watch conor get his eye mauled get up and thump the fool who mauled his eye
    i stayed up to watch conor go to (a very short) war with a 10 year title holding crazy ass bmf and he ended his legend in seconds

So he's a better sportsman because he's more well known. Fair play to ya.....

no ; he's more well known because he's a better sportsman

CONLON WASN'T IN THE TOP 10

THINK ABOUT THAT
    boxing is a bit crap these days
    rte love it but its a bit crap, i stayed up to watch manny paq do nothing i staayed up to watch tyson do nothing
    i stayed up to watch conor get his eye mauled get up and thump the fool who mauled his eye
    i stayed up to watch conor go to (a very short) war with a 10 year title holding crazy ass bmf and he ended his legend in seconds

Yeah there again lies a serious flaw in your argument. Your trying to say that the popularity of a sport or a sportsperson is even relevant.

If viewing figures and popularity counted for anything, then a soccer player would win every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Yeah but can Conlan pass guard?

Yeah there again lies a serious flaw in your argument. Your trying to say that the popularity of a sport or a sportsperson is even relevant.

If viewing figures and popularity counted for anything, then a soccer player would win every year.
    not if you divided it by 11

no ; he's more well known because he's a better sportsman

He's more well known because he is a promotional genius with the support of a multi billion dollar sports franchise behind him.

not if you divided it by 11

Ok mate. Thats enough drink for you.

BOHtox wrote: »
    Yeah but can Conlan pass guard?
    on a cold rainy night in march ?

So is Conlan

Irrelevant

He has made a lot of people think admittedly but its reaching a bit to say he has changed they way fighter approach the game.

TOTALLY irrelevant

Why should amateur status affect someone eligibilty. By that logic, no GAA player or any Olympic athlete could win it.

So olypic qualification, a european championship gold and a world championship gold in the same year isnt enough?

Conlon isn't at all. Boxing is the same sport across amateur and pro. Amateur status should affect it because there's also a pro status and is why Conlon isn't at the top of his sport.

Outstanding achievement but CM made the whole world stand up and take notice of him. Becoming a worldwide name. Mma covered in Ireland PURELY because of him. He beat a guy who hadn't been beaten in 10 yrs. not only that, he destroyed him. Every man and his dog were trying to bring him down but he just proved himself over and over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Conlon isn't at all. Boxing is the same sport across amateur and pro. Amateur status should affect it because there's also a pro status and is why Conlon isn't at the top of his sport.

Outstanding achievement but CM made the whole world stand up and take notice of him. Becoming a worldwide name. Mma covered in Ireland PURELY because of him. He beat a guy who hadn't been beaten in 10 yrs. not only that, he destroyed him. Every man and his dog were trying to bring him down but he just proved himself over and over again.

It isn't- the rules are different, the scoring is different, the durations are different

Ok mate. Thats enough drink for you.

what does that even mean?
    there are 22 players on a soccer pitch there are 2 in the cage
    so divide by 11 for popularity

also in ireland which soccer player was on the list

Gaygooner wrote: »
    It isn't- the rules are different, the scoring is different, the durations are different

I know the rules are different but it's still the same sport

• Advertisement

what does that even mean?
    there are 22 players on a soccer pitch there are 2 in the cage
    so divide by 11 for popularity

also in ireland which soccer player was on the list

Jesus you are trying to mathematically quantify popularity now?

Are you right in the head?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement