Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

stephenl15 wrote: »
    I know the rules are different but it's still the same sport
    i give up you are on your own
    you fight the fight well but they can't be turned so why bother ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Conlon deserved to win i don't see how anyone could question that, European and World gold Medal, Boxer of the games at the Euro's, Olympic Qualifiation, Number 1 in the world at Bantemweight, Stop being biased toward McGregor fair enough had he won i wouldn't have minded but Conlon has achieved at least as much as McGregor in the last year, The amount of people who watched him win is irrelevant, Also the Amateur Game is in fact more difficult then the pro's in many ways, firstly in the pro's you can be 1 of 4 world champions in the amateur's you have to be the absolute best to achieve that. Conlon a worth winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Tigger wrote: »
    i give up you are on your own
    you fight the fight well but they can't be turned so why bother ?

Haha :P Debates are good :) doesn't have to be taken so seriously, if we all had the same opinion life would be pretty boring :P

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sportstar583

I can't wait for McGregor's next fight. I know a lot of people wanted a longer fight than 13 seconds but i love quick knockouts as opposed to 5 rounds where no one gets knocked out.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Jesus you are trying to mathematically quantify popularity now?

Are you right in the head?

yes i'm fine
    mathematically (ie numerate) popularity (ie number of people that like you)
    shocking

i'm disinterested cos you are being rude and can't see you are making factual misrepresentations when they are pointed out to you

• Advertisement

Conlon isn't at all. Boxing is the same sport across amateur and pro. Amateur status should affect it because there's also a pro status and is why Conlon isn't at the top of his sport.

Outstanding achievement but CM made the whole world stand up and take notice of him. Becoming a worldwide name. Mma covered in Ireland PURELY because of him. He beat a guy who hadn't been beaten in 10 yrs. not only that, he destroyed him. Every man and his dog were trying to bring him down but he just proved himself over and over again.

Pro and Amateur boxing are not the same stop being so stupid, In many ways amateur boxing is harder because you can't avoid people to win titles unlike pro boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Conlon deserved to win i don't see how anyone could question that, European and World gold Medal, Boxer of the games at the Euro's, Olympic Qualifiation, Number 1 in the world at Bantemweight, Stop being biased toward McGregor fair enough had he won i wouldn't have minded but Conlon has achieved at least as much as McGregor in the last year, The amount of people who watched him win is irrelevant, Also the Amateur Game is in fact more difficult then the pro's in many ways, firstly in the pro's you can be 1 of 4 world champions in the amateur's you have to be the absolute best to achieve that. Conlon a worth winner.

As an MMA fan for over 20 years I couldn't agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

As an MMA fan for over 20 years I couldn't agree more.

MMA has been going for 20 years???

Pro and Amateur boxing are not the same stop being so stupid, In many ways amateur boxing is harder because you can't avoid people to win titles unlike pro boxing.

How am I being stupid. The skills are the same. It's the same sport with a different scoring system. And there is no way amateur is harder than pro. the simple fact being the boxers are better.

yes i'm fine
    mathematically (ie numerate) popularity (ie number of people that like you)
    shocking

i'm disinterested cos you are being rude and can't see you are making factual misrepresentations when they are pointed out to you

Sorry if you think I'm being rude. Didn't intend to be.

Just think its crazy that you think McGregors relative popularity is any reason to give him that award over Conlon.

Even crazier that you think that two sportspeoples popularity can be compared by doing a sum? Thats insane.

When you said that I thought Iwas in the twilight zone.

• Advertisement

How am I being stupid. The skills are the same. It's the same sport with a different scoring system. And there is no way amateur is harder than pro. the simple fact being the boxers are better.

I could name plenty of pro fighters that wouldn't stand a chance with Conlan under IABA rules

Gaygooner wrote: »

And the rest. But MMA as we know it really only came into being in the early to mid 90's.

Sorry if you think I'm being rude. Didn't intend to be.

Just think its crazy that you think McGregors relative popularity is any reason to give him that award over Conlon.

Even crazier that you think that two sportspeoples popularity can be compared by doing a sum? Thats insane.

When you said that I thought Iwas in the twilight zone.

Achievements lead to popularity and a raising of profile so not exactly crazy.

yes
    ufc 1 was '93
    22 years and a bit ago
    some choking bastard changed our perceptions of what fighting was
    also watching shoot fighters weighing 155 getting turned to meat by 220 strikers but still winning changed everything

google "choke" if you are interested in how the no holds barred sport started

And the rest. But MMA as we know it really only came into being in the early to mid 90's.

I thought it was developed in the mid nighties - cage fighting - but later renamed as mma

yes
    ufc 1 was '93
    22 years and a bit ago
    some choking bastard changed our perceptions of what fighting was
    also watching shoot fighters weighing 155 getting turned to meat by 220 strikers but still winning changed everything

google "choke" if you are interested in how the no holds barred sport started

So just over 21 years wow!

Except that's not a fact at all, Conlon right now would beat 90% of pro's, The pro game can be manipulated, Carl Frampton is a world champion in pro boxing and Andy Lee was before tonight, Unlike Conlon however they are not the very best in the world, Lee was probably 4th or 5th in the world and Frampton either 2nd or 3rd, Conlon however is the absolute best, The definition of a world champion, Your dismissal of amateur boxing is laughable don't let the word amateur fool you Conlon and others are every bit the athlete McGregor is.

I could name plenty of pro fighters that wouldn't stand a chance with Conlan under IABA rules

Yes I'm not disputing that but we don't know if he'd win a pro world title by beating the best of the best.

I thought it was developed in the mid nighties - cage fighting - but later renamed as mma

Before that you had the likes of Pankration and Vale Tudo tournaments.

Yes I'm not disputing that but we don't know if he'd win a pro world title by beating the best of the best.

Except unlike amateur boxing in the pro game you don't have to beat the very best to become world champion, Conlon's achievements rank way above say Andy Lee or Frampton for example.

• Advertisement

Before that you had the likes of Pankration and Vale Tudo tournaments.

But they had tighter rules no? They weren't fought in a cage either AFAIK

So just over 21 years wow!

is it not 12/2016 :)
    lol
    watch the vid its on youtube its crazy

Andy Lee had a world Title- he wasn't the best in his weight class

Except that's not a fact at all, Conlon right now would beat 90% of pro's, The pro game can be manipulated, Carl Frampton is a world champion in pro boxing and Andy Lee was before tonight, Unlike Conlon however they are not the very best in the world, Lee was probably 4th or 5th in the world and Frampton either 2nd or 3rd, Conlon however is the absolute best, The definition of a world champion, Your dismissal of amateur boxing is laughable don't let the word amateur fool you Conlon and others are every bit the athlete McGregor is.

But we won't know if Conlon is the best of the best until he goes pro?

I wouldn't like to be debating this over on the boxing forum :pac:

But we won't know if Conlon is the best of the best until he goes pro?

Then we'll only know how good a promoter he has tbf

Achievements lead to popularity and a raising of profile so not exactly crazy.

Well it is crazy if he thinks that popularity should be a criteria for the award. Plenty of people who were not 'popular' from sports that weren't 'popular' have taken that particular award.

is it not 12/2016 :)
    lol
    watch the vid its on youtube its crazy

12/2015

But they had tighter rules no? They weren't fought in a cage either AFAIK

Most definitely not. Most of the early tournaments had literally no rules at all. Rules really only came into the sport when it tried to become more mainstream.

And believe it or not the 'cage' is there for fighter safety rather than for effect.

• Advertisement

12/2015

i know :(
    math fail
    watch the vids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjvzJO-6ESc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NWkobhkC7E

huge guys getting bet by small guys
    gracie showing how bjj works

This discussion has been closed.