Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gaygooner wrote: »
    12/2015

Still a maths fail. 93 was 22 years ago, not 21.

Besides, if we're going to consider UFC 1 as MMA. Then we should be including shooto in the 80s. Or the Vale Tudo, Luta Livre, matches from Brazil since the 60s.
    Or Jeet Kune Do.

Prior to that no holds barred matched existed in 1800/1900s. Right back to pankration in Ancient Greece. Basically style vrs style fighting is around ever since styles existed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

John_D80 wrote:
    And the rest. But MMA as we know it really only came into being in the early to mid 90's.

Mid 90s is 20 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Mellor wrote: »
    Still a maths fail. 93 was 22 years ago, not 21.

Besides, if we're going to consider UFC 1 as MMA. Then we should be including shooto in the 80s. Or the Vale Tudo, Luta Livre, matches from Brazil since the 60s.
    Or Jeet Kune Do.

Prior to that no holds barred matched existed in 1800/1900s. Right back to pankration in Ancient Greece. Basically style vrs style fighting is around ever since styles existed.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Except unlike amateur boxing in the pro game you don't have to beat the very best to become world champion, Conlon's achievements rank way above say Andy Lee or Frampton for example.

But they're not the very best because he didn't have to beat the best bantamweight professionals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

stephenl15 wrote: »
    But they're not the very best because he didn't have to beat the best bantamweight professionals

Amateur boxing and professional boxing are two different sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Amateur boxing and professional boxing are two different sports.

Oh my God no they aren't. They are both BOXING. Both require the same skillset which means amateurs and pros can be directly compared.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Take it to the boxing forum lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Mid 90s is 20 years ago

Thanks Captain Obvious. I was letting the other poster know that MMA in some shape or form has been around a lot longer than 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I find most boxing matches especially amateur boxing boring as hell and rugby for that matter so it's hard to be objective. However I still find it bananas someone who beat the best MMA fighter in the world who was untouchable for 10 years and has basically taken over the MMA world didn't win Irish sportsperson of the year.

I'd imagine he would have in any other country in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

mdwexford wrote: »
    I still find it bananas someone who beat the best MMA fighter in the world who was untouchable for 10 years and has basically taken over the MMA world didn't win Irish sportsperson of the year.

You can hardly be surprised though considering the ignorance and lack of respect most Irish media has for mma in general. You just know if Conor bothers to show up on the late late show he'll be asked to defend his sport as usual. Id imagine he'll just tell them to f off though haha

• Advertisement

I find most boxing matches especially amateur boxing boring as hell and rugby for that matter so it's hard to be objective. However I still find it bananas someone who beat the best MMA fighter in the world who was untouchable for 10 years and has basically taken over the MMA world didn't win Irish sportsperson of the year.

To be fair, the fact that he wasn't picked is not a slight on MMA. Its just that the people voting obviously felt that Conlon has achieved more in the last 12 months than Conor has. And if you're talking about beating the best, then in fairness we have to acknowledge that Conlon did that too, on numerous occasions over the last year. Different people, different sports.

Conor has already catapulted the sport into the mainstream in Ireland and his proverbial day in the sun will come. (Not that he cares either way though IMO)

And if anything, I'm sure Conor himself would be delighted for Michael Conlon.

redlead wrote: »
    You can hardly be surprised though considering the ignorance and lack of respect most Irish media has for mma in general. You just know if Conor bothers to show up on the late late show he'll be asked to defend his sport as usual. Id imagine he'll just tell them to f off though haha

In fairness, the 2 times he was on the late late show he got a very good reception and Tubridy showed his obvious admiration for Conor and what he does.

Dont think he had to defend the sport at all really apart from disspelling a few common myths for the benefit of the uninitiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

A particularly petty piece by Tommy Conlon in the Sunday Independent today. You'd have to wonder if McGregor was from Foxrock and not Crumlin would the Sindo have asked him to take a different approach:

http://m.independent.ie/sport/mma/conor-mcgregor-the-top-rooster-in-a-backstreet-chicken-hut-the-overblown-king-of-a-pretty-small-hill-34301429.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Not a hope Conor was going to win it, first of all he wasn't going to show up and second half his highlight reel is him giving people abuse lol.Compare it to GSP who won the Canadian sports person of the year multiple times.

MMA is also such a new sport in the country, a huge proportion of the country have no idea what MMA is. This however is changing and thanks to Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Sunday indo hopping on the McGregor clickbait bandwagon

http://m.independent.ie/sport/mma/conor-mcgregor-the-top-rooster-in-a-backstreet-chicken-hut-the-overblown-king-of-a-pretty-small-hill-34301429.html

Sample quote "McGregor took up mixed martial arts (MMA) in 2006. Prior to that he'd spent a few undistinguished years in amateur boxing. He made his MMA debut in February 2007, after which he turned professional. He competed in 14 bouts over the next five years, mostly in Ireland, mainly against Irish opponents. His longest fight lasted over nine minutes, his shortest five seconds. His total time spent in the Octagon (a cage) was some 45 minutes. In February 2013, Dana White offered him a UFC contract. In April, he made his UFC debut.

A single full-length fight in professional boxing will last 36 minutes. McGregor, in other words, had fought the equivalent of 15 rounds of pro boxing when UFC offered him his big break. This would tend to confirm that UFC did indeed have "competitive problems". It simply lacked the competitive depth to be found in most established international sports. The sport was, and still is, in its infancy. In signing for UFC, McGregor wasn't throwing himself in at the deep end. He was swimming in a shallow pool."

EDIT I see I was beaten to it by 4 minutes

A particularly petty piece by Tommy Conlon in the Sunday Independent today. You'd have to wonder if McGregor was from Foxrock and not Crumlin would the Sindo have asked him to take a different approach:

Awful piece of sensationalist boll0cks.

The Independent is literally the print media equivalent of a street hooker. Will do anything for a few bucks.

Last week they were holding the reins of the McGregor bandwagon. This week they hate him. Will be full circle again by this time next week.

redlead wrote: »

I am definitely not surprised.
    I didnt see the odds but id imagine Conor wasnt favourite.
    John_D80 wrote: »
    To be fair, the fact that he wasn't picked is not a slight on MMA. Its just that the people voting obviously felt that Conlon has achieved more in the last 12 months than Conor has. And if you're talking about beating the best, then in fairness we have to acknowledge that Conlon did that too, on numerous occasions over the last year. Different people, different sports.

Conor has already catapulted the sport into the mainstream in Ireland and his proverbial day in the sun will come. (Not that he cares either way though IMO)

And if anything, I'm sure Conor himself would be delighted for Michael Conlon.

Personally I think comparing amateurs achievements to a professionals isnt like for like but each to their own.

If Conlon turns pro and becomes a world champion then I think they will be more comparable.

Either way ive never seen him fight but good luck to him and I hope he continues to be successful.

What a fcuking idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

That is one of the most ill-informed pieces of ****e I've ever read. Bad even by sindo standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Would you Conor have much chance if he moves up folks?

I looked at Donald and Rafa last night and they just look much bigger overall. Is Conor not too small/skinny??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Would you Conor have much chance if he moves up folks?

I looked at Donald and Rafa last night and they just look much bigger overall. Is Conor not too small/skinny??

Well frankie Edgar would look small beside Conor and he was the lightweight champ not too long ago

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

''It is basically bareknuckle boxing and chip shop brawling.

McGregor is the top rooster in a backstreet chicken hut, the overblown king of a pretty small hill.''

GOLD

CIoucVh.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

did what he intended with the article I imagine, before this, like most people I expect, I didn't know who the cunt was! absolute gutter journalism

Do me a favour, if anyone here is on Twitter, look him up and tell how good the article is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Do me a favour, if anyone here is on Twitter, look him up and tell how good the article is

Couldn't find him it was the first thing I done, joke of an article.

ASOT wrote: »
    Couldn't find him it was the first thing I done, joke of an article.

https://twitter.com/tconlonthecouch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Dont bother lads he is fishing for a reaction with that type of ****e wouldnt give him the benefit of a bite.

Dtp1979 wrote: »

I couldn't resist.

https://twitter.com/tconlonthecouch/status/678655556836544514

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

You could have at least cled it an MMA article!!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Not much point arguing with lads like that never gonna change their mind.
    Best leave them to their fantasy world where Muhammed Ali is a saint who ended slavery and didn't beat his wife
    Leave them hop on the bandwagon every 4 years when some lad wins a medal in Pillowfighting at the olympics and let them off pretending boxing isn't a complete farce of a sport as it currently stands.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

If you are going to tweet anyone tweet the indo themselves for letting such thrash get released, dont waste time on the journalist - hes looking for a reaction and tweeting him only gives him one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement