Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

It amazes people how people get paid to write tripe like that, I'm in the compleatly wrong career :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Tommy Conlon is a pathetic excuse for a journalist.

You should have seen some of the stuff he wrote about Kilkenny over the years, in 2013 after losing to Cork he pretty much danced on Cody's grave....that turned out well for him!

Anyway, I doubt McGregor gives two sh!ts what Conlon thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Tommy Conlon is a pathetic excuse for a journalist.

You should have seen some of the stuff he wrote about Kilkenny over the years, in 2013 after losing to Cork he pretty much danced on Cody's grave....that turned out well for him!

Anyway, I doubt McGregor gives two sh!ts what Conlon thinks.

I doubt even his own family give two shîts what he says. Someone should write a piece criticising his work and see how he likes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Axwell wrote: »
    If you are going to tweet anyone tweet the indo themselves for letting such thrash get released, dont waste time on the journalist - hes looking for a reaction and tweeting him only gives him one.

Great idea. Compare their work to a lesser version of the Irish sub in quality.
    I'm not on Twitter but lads, work away
    https://twitter.com/irishindo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Great idea. Compare their work to a lesser version of the Irish sub in quality.
    I'm not on Twitter but lads, work away
    https://twitter.com/irishindo

It would actually be https://twitter.com/IndoSport

• Advertisement

Axwell wrote: »
    It would actually be https://twitter.com/IndoSport

Maybe hit both

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Maybe hit both

Well the other one hasnt posted in 5 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭kettlehead

John_D80 wrote: »

And if anything, I'm sure Conor himself would be delighted for Michael Conlon.

Sure he tweeted his congratulations when he won the belt back in October.

https://www.twitter.com/thenotoriousmma/status/654683552815026177

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Do we think the outcome of the LW fight will have an impact on the decision regarding Conors next fight?

I think if Cerrone had come out on top it would have been more likely he moves straight up, maybe it won't have a deciding factor but I think the result was good for Frankie getting his shot sooner rather then later. The cowboy/mcgregor fight sold itself in terms of hype plus a pretty stationary target like Cerrone would maybe seem like a more beatable opponent. I am sure Conor has faith in himself regardless of who holds the belt, just looking at it rationally

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

People do understand it's a troll article looking for clicks and a reaction?

The paper, his editor, the owners don't care what he writes (within legal limits obviously) if he gets clicks and people engaging him.

Not clicking into it is how you stop him and his likes from having a platform. No views = no revenue and him not getting paid to write

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Regarding Conlon vrs McGregor for Sportsperson of the year. Conlon deserved it.
    He may be top of the pile in amateur boxing, but that's still a sport that flies very much under the radar with the general public (as is MMA). He moving towards the biggest event of his life next year, and as an amateur, he needs all the exposure he can get. Winning the PofY is can only benefit to him.
    It benefits McGregor very little imo. The idea that and PotY award legitimises MMA in Ireland is nonsense. It's the opinion of a small panel of people, it's proves nothing and changes nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

conlon deserved it, he's been round while, conor's day will come, not that he gives a f*ck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

RemarkableSillyHen.gif

1 round destruction if RDA is unlucky enough to fight Conor

easy money

9zCarGh.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Mellor wrote: »
    Regarding Conlon vrs McGregor for Sportsperson of the year. Conlon deserved it.
    He may be top of the pile in amateur boxing, but that's still a sport that flies very much under the radar with the general public (as is MMA). He moving towards the biggest event of his life next year, and as an amateur, he needs all the exposure he can get. Winning the PofY is can only benefit to him.
    It benefits McGregor very little imo. The idea that and PotY award legitimises MMA in Ireland is nonsense. It's the opinion of a small panel of people, it's proves nothing and changes nothing.

I know you say general public but I really don't think so. Ever since Lee in 2004, all you hear in Ireland is people go on about how great our amateur boxing team is every four years. True it benefits Conlan more but does that mean he should get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What i would like to see
    Conor vs Frankie
    Aldo vs Halloway, with winner getting title shot
    Mendes vs ?

This way Frankie gets his deserved title shot. Halloway's 8 fight streak gets him a high profile fight held in Brazil, and Aldo's 10 years as champ is respected by giving him an opportunity to get back into a title fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

stephenl15 wrote: »
    I know you say general public but I really don't think so. Ever since Lee in 2004, all you hear in Ireland is people go on about how great our amateur boxing team is every four years. True it benefits Conlan more but does that mean he should get it?

You said it yourself, every four years. The rest of the time Amateur (and even more so Pro) boxing very much 'flies under the Radar' of the public.

In fact if you look at it as it stands right now, Pound for pound, MMA has far more exposure on Irish TV than boxing does. And MMA is certainly in the public conciousness a lot more at the moment.

TV3 show most of the events a few days after they happen as well as showing UFC NOW and The Ultimate Fighter. RTE worked with McGregor on the 6 part docu-series as well doing the Reality Bites special recently.

Boxing gets f-all lately by comparison, considering the amount of fighters (Amateur and Pro) that are regularly competing at the highest level around the world. Sure there will be a peak in interest next summer for Rio but it will fizzle out again as quickly.

TG4 to their credit do some good boxing coverage though, it has to be said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

JJayoo wrote: »
    What i would like to see
    Conor vs Frankie
    Aldo vs Halloway, with winner getting title shot
    Mendes vs ?

This way Frankie gets his deserved title shot. Halloway's 8 fight streak gets him a high profile fight held in Brazil, and Aldo's 10 years as champ is respected by giving him an opportunity to get back into a title fight.

aldo vs halloway is a def a fight to make,
    mendes vs bermudez

If Frankie gets anything but a title shot it d be a disgrace, altho id rather see mcgregor go to lw and frankie to wait abit.

evo2000 wrote: »
    aldo vs halloway is a def a fight to make,
    mendes vs bermudez

If Frankie gets anything but a title shot it d be a disgrace, altho id rather see mcgregor go to lw and frankie to wait abit.

I don't think Bermudez will what that fight he's 0-2 at the moment and not a big enough name to avoid the cut which he would be borderline. Mendes should take an extended break in reality, but if he wanted to get him back in there it should be against Stephens, maybe Bermudez v Lamas or Olivera if he doesn't get tossed to 155 or even Lentz and have Olivera v Cub to avenge his loss again if he doesn't cop on and end up at 155.

stephenl15 wrote: »

The every four years part sort of proves my point. Every knows who the lads are when they reach the semi finals. And they cheer them home into podium positions. But they don't follow much outside of the the other 3 and a half years. Outside of sports fans, I doubt many could name the guys on the team to didn't win medals.

Can everyone here name the current team right now? Without searching obv.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote: »
    RemarkableSillyHen.gif

1 round destruction if RDA is unlucky enough to fight Conor

easy money

9zCarGh.gif

In that short vid, it looks like Conor's fist was about 3 inches from aldos jaw!

In that short vid, it looks like Conor's fist was about 3 inches from aldos jaw!

The clip cuts out before he hits him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

anyone spot this? well worth a watch if youve the time!

Depp wrote: »

anyone spot this? well worth a watch if youve the time!

Watched most of it last night and the rest on the way to work, it's unreal. Disproves any sort of notion that the games changed him. He's been the same character since day one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GFT

Hasn't changed a bit. He even admits to the trash talk being a game plan. People will use anything to attack hum unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

GFT wrote: »
    Hasn't changed a bit. He even admits to the trash talk being a game plan. People will use anything to attack hum unfortunately.

It's the same in any sport or anything really. You'll have lovers and haters. Seems to be part of life. Especially with such an outspoken personality he will divide opinion even more so.

Max is really whoring himself out to try get a shot at Conor, first saying that Conor got injured in the last ten seconds of there fight, far cry from when he acknowledged the injury back on the mma hour in April and was complaining about his own injury. Now he's saying he's in Conors head and that he didn't get beat easily....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

ASOT wrote: »
    Max is really whoring himself out to try get a shot at Conor, first saying that Conor got injured in the last ten seconds of there fight, far cry from when he acknowledged the injury back on the mma hour in April and was complaining about his own injury. Now he's saying he's in Conors head and that he didn't get beat easily....

He wants a red pantie night I told blame him,if if works he will be laughing to the bank,actually a very nice guy met him when he was over and he was very down to earth,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

ASOT wrote: »

Honestly, if I thought there was a chance I could fight Conor, I'd be calling him out too.

You hear that, big man? You couldn't bate snow off a rope! I'll take ya!

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote: »
    He wants a red pantie night I told blame him,if if works he will be laughing to the bank,actually a very nice guy met him when he was over and he was very down to earth,

Ah no I met him myself top top bloke but going back on stuff he's already said just seems sly or soemthing. I hope he gets the fight because I'd love to see it with both fighters fit but there's better ways to go about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement