Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He may have taken a break for some of that time but I think a considerable part of that gap was down to a lot of opponents pulling out. His first fight back was Connor Dillon (who broke his foot in a check) and I remember reading in an interview recently that Dillon was also a replacement after a string of drop outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

He was also on the brink of giving up on mma at one stage, which I'm going to guess was around then.

He was also on the brink of giving up on mma at one stage, which I'm going to guess was around then.

Nah, that was much later. After the Buchinger fight (based on comments I've hard him say)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Mellor wrote: »
    Nah, that was much later. After the Buchinger fight (based on comments I've hard him say)

The Buchinger fight ? Was he not signed to the ufc weeks after that fight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

The Buchinger fight ? Was he not signed to the ufc weeks after that fight

He was. He had stopped training after that fight and was considering retiring after one of his team mates had retired with a serious injury. Kavanagh called Conor sometime after the fight and Conor said he wasn't interested going back training and that's when he was told that the UFC had made an offer.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    He was. He had stopped training after that fight and was considering retiring after one of his team mates had retired with a serious injury. Kavanagh called Conor sometime after the fight and Conor said he wasn't interested going back training and that's when he was told that the UFC had made an offer.

Jaysus it's a wonder that isn't so well known

That story will suit well when they make a film of him

He told that story on fighter and the kid earlier in the year.
    Should be a video of it on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/681971024037056512

Interesting tweets from Ariel suggesting 197 could be moved to ireland with McGregor fighting

He's stirring.

There's no outdoor event happening in Ireland in March and there's no numbered event happening in Ireland if it has to end at 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

He's stirring.

There's no outdoor event happening in Ireland in March and there's no numbered event happening in Ireland if it has to end at 11pm.

I would agree with both of those. At the same time I have not seen him just make stuff up before? Does he have a history of it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I would agree with both of those. At the same time I have not seen him just make stuff up before? Does he have a history of it?

He'll make throwaway comments on twitter a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

He's clearly joking, imo. Nothing to read here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Mcgregor fighting RDA in Dallas in March.....apparently.

No official source yet.

http://entimports.com/2015/12/source-mcgregor-vs-rda-in-the-works-for-ufc-dallas/

I wonder if Aldo did miss weight back at 194, what would have happened with regards the title ?

Like if he weighed in at 150+ or something like that meaning he couldn't make title weight, what would they have done

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I wonder if Aldo did miss weight back at 194, what would have happened with regards the title ?

Like if he weighed in at 150+ or something like that meaning he couldn't make title weight, what would they have done

They'd have fought, If Conor had won he'd take Aldo's belt, if Aldo won then Conro would have kept his interim belt

scudzilla wrote: »
    They'd have fought, If Conor had won he'd take Aldo's belt, if Aldo won then Conro would have kept his interim belt

Would have been some mess if he did, just a random thought going through my head

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Would have been some mess if he did, just a random thought going through my head

It does get messy when someone misses weight for a title shot, i think the last time it happened was Travis Lutter vs Silva, Lutter had won TUF for a shot then failed to make weight (same season that gave Serra a shot against vaseline boy).

Fight still went ahead but no title on line

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Deadst4r wrote: »

No doubt thats his manager that fraud ali abziz fella who was caught running frankies twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Gamebred wrote: »
    No doubt thats his manager that fraud ali abziz fella who was caught running frankies twitter.

Ah, didn't realise he had that idiot manager as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Gotta love this "this is RDA, not just aldo, McGregor has no chance" talk. Which only a few weeks ago was "this is the lb for lb best fighter out there, best of the last decade after Anderson, not just mendes" talk.

Which a few months before was "this is mendes, not just some bum, McGregor's worst nightmare" talk.

Which just a few months was "this is siver, way too tough for McGregor, not a poirier walkover" talk.

And so on and so on all the way back to Holloway. Who McGregor beat on a torn up knee. Who's now getting some #1 contender hype. If McGregor sticks around and that rematch happens, can't wait for the "oh but this is different, not just some bum like Holloway... This is Holloway!!" talk.

The sheer hatred he inspires in some is glorious, to the point they don't even notice how irrationally stupid they look in doing so. :pac:

Billy86 wrote: »
    Gotta love this "this is RDA, not just aldo, McGregor has no chance" talk. Which only a few weeks ago was "this is the lb for lb best fighter out there, best of the last decade after Anderson, not just mendes" talk.

Which a few months before was "this is mendes, not just some bum, McGregor's worst nightmare" talk.

Which just a few months was "this is siver, way too tough for McGregor, not a poirier walkover" talk.

And so on and so on all the way back to Holloway. Who McGregor beat on a torn up knee. Who's now getting some #1 contender hype. If McGregor sticks around and that rematch happens, can't wait for the "oh but this is different, not just some bum like Holloway... This is Holloway!!" talk.

The sheer hatred he inspires in some is glorious, to the point they don't even notice how irrationally stupid they look in doing so. :pac:

No Idea why you quoted me with that point considering im the biggest McGregor fanboy I know of :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

No Idea why you quoted me with that point considering im the biggest McGregor fanboy I know of :pac:

Sorry, was related to some of the comments below in your link, not you!

It's just has, we'll be seeing the same people who spent the last year hyping up aldo to completely destroy Connor now saying "he was an over the hill, past it bum anyway. Oh and McGregor got lucky with a fluke punch." the lack of self awareness from those driven to rage by McGregor is just so much fun to witness. Always good for a laugh to jump on Sheldon for it when on the bus etc. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Billy86 wrote: »

In fairness I think RDA is probably the worst match up for Conor other then Khabib if he ever returns from injury.

Conor won't tower over 95% the division like he does in FW, but he probably still has the best reach by an inch or two which is crazy.

I'm curious to see if he has the same power when he's fighting opponents who are of similar weight to him on fight night. I'm guessing he does.

Aldo was noticeably in decline in his last few fights whereas I think RDA is probably just entering his. It's a fantastic matchup though.

RDA will be KO'd stiff by Conor like the rest of them,hes like a bigger slower southpaw version of Aldo,he swings wild hooks and his chin has been cracked before Jeremy Stephens Ko'd him,Conor will find it with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Possibly to be taken with a pinch of salt but I ran into Conor's dad in the local shops and was chatting away to him, he said Conor would be fighting in March, I was asking would it be Frankie and he said he didn't think so, but didnt know who it would be, so maby some truth in the rumours in the RDA matchup?

RDA will be KO'd stiff by Conor like the rest of them,hes like a bigger slower southpaw version of Aldo,he swings wild hooks and his chin has been cracked before Jeremy Stephens Ko'd him,Conor will find it with ease.

I think its a bit naive to be so sure. RDA is an animal and on fire at the moment, but in saying that I do think Conor can beat him but its by no means a sure thing. What you have to admire about Conor is that he ducks no one and wants to be active all the time, to many of these champions dont want to fight enough. In saying that if Guida can beat RDA (I know RDA has improved a lot since then) then Conor can also beat him, but it will be tough.

War Conor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GFT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I don't think it'd be over too quickly but I'd agree, he'll eventually find that chin and put him down.

Khabib worries me though, if he gets back fit he's a big issue for Conor. Big if though seeing how injury prone he seems to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

He's a waaaaaaay different fighter to when he was KO'd by Stephens. He won't swing like he did v Cerrone against Conor, straight for the takedown like vs Pettis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement