Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

They'd want to be announcing it like tomorrow or something, it's less than 2 months away now. Unless it's been agreed already and they're ready to go into camp already.

Yeah, compared to all of Conor's other fights - this would be be on top of us in no time....great if it happened though so quickly, waiting for 6-7-8 months to see him in action each time is a pain, plus this (if it happened) would be an excellent fight

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

They'd want to be announcing it like tomorrow or something, it's less than 2 months away now. Unless it's been agreed already and they're ready to go into camp already.
    I believe they are, I'm guessing the contracts and money talks are delaying things, but they would certainly have everything planned and be training for it at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Chase3 wrote: »
    Looks like McGregor will be facing Dos Anjos for the Lightweight belt at UFC 197 on March 5th in Vegas..........
    I believe they are, I'm guessing..........

Can I just ask where you're getting this information from?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Can I just ask where you're getting this information from?
    'It looks like'
    'I believe'
    'All signs pointing to this'
    'Nothing official yet'

Just deduction, not claiming any of this as fact :)

EDIT: For example, UFC 197 is pulled from Brazil, no explanation, no new announcement. Frankie Edgar is pissed off, obviously no one is talking to him about the fight. March 5th is the date for a supposed UFC 197. March gives enough time for McGregor to be back for UFC 200. March is soon, they will know all about it already, hell they probably asked for it. etc...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Is Miesha and Holm not taking that ppv spot in march? I presume nobody will want to get on any of the ppv's now before 200 so 198 and 199 will be out of the question surely,I cant see Conor fighting until ufc 200 tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

It would have been smart to make the 199 card in New York. That way instead of nobody wanting to be on 199 or 198 card, people would jump at 199 as it would be up there as as significant as the UFC 200 card in some ways. That leaves only 198 as a card nobody wants. 197 is early enough to fight at both 197 and 200

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Gamebred wrote: »
    Is Miesha and Holm not taking that ppv spot in march? I presume nobody will want to get on any of the ppv's now before 200 so 198 and 199 will be out of the question surely,I cant see Conor fighting until ufc 200 tbh.

Dana mentioned conor fighting 4 times a year to have both belts. while he could be sitting till 200 he will have no chance of 4 fights if he does. If he fights in march he could go again at 200 and get it done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Dana mentioned conor fighting 4 times a year to have both belts. while he could be sitting till 200 he will have no chance of 4 fights if he does. If he fights in march he could go again at 200 and get it done

Do people actually believe he is going to fight 4 times a year? Shouldn't believe everything Dana says, he talks alot of sh1te.

4 times in a calender year will be tough considering he fought in December. Even though he may have escaped without a scratch, the weight cut and the camp are hard enough. Considering he fought in July 15, December 15, it's looking likely he'll fight in March 16 and UFC 200 it's very possible to fight 4 times in a year. The July-December gap was a very big gap by his standards. You'd expect slightly shorter and more consistent gaps in the future if he wants to be as active as says

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Why is McGregor ducking Edgar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Surely NYC would be perfect if it gets the green light? McGregor v Dos Anjos and Corimer v Jones. A nice way to introduce the UFC to NYC and give Conor three months before the UFC 200 date.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

you're joking yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Why do you think he is ducking him? Conor is very obviously looking for the fights that will make him the most money. A fight vs Frankie is about 4th or 5th on that list at the moment. Even a non-title fight at LW against the likes of Pettis or Cerrone would bring in more money for him than a fight vs Edgar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Yeah, McGregor is ducking Edgar because of Edgars unreal cardio, plus his ground n pound is vicious.

Good thing he's fighting RDA, then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's the same desperation thing I mentioned a few days back. Every single fighter since Poirier has been "ready to destroy" McGregor and "his worst nightmare". Every. Single One. With no exceptions.

Until after the fight, when it's all excuses and how 'the next guy' will be McGregor's "worst nightmare". For the last several fights I've heard over and over how Frankie is a good matchup for Conor, unlike Siver/Aldo/Mendes/Aldo, and now that he has beaten all of them Frankie is "a nightmare matchup."

Gas carry on altogether; the reek of desperate hatred is so obvious and so glorious! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's the same desperation thing I mentioned a few days back. Every single fighter since Poirier has been "ready to destroy" McGregor and "his worst nightmare". Every. Single One. With no exceptions.

Until after the fight, when it's all excuses and how 'the next guy' will be McGregor's "worst nightmare". For the last several fights I've heard over and over how Frankie is a good matchup for Conor, unlike Siver/Aldo/Mendes/Aldo, and now that he has beaten all of them Frankie is "a nightmare matchup."

Gas carry on altogether; the reek of desperate hatred is so obvious and so glorious! :pac:

Maybe it's down to the fact that the standard of opponent has increased as the fights have gone on? (with the exception of Siver, who very few predicted would beat McGregor)

I'm a big McGregor fan, but if I was to bet on his fights, as far as the odds go I would have backed against him every time (with the exception of Siver). That's more a mixture of me being a pessimist & probably underestimating McGregor, but definitely has nothing to do with desperate had.

And again, perhaps foolishly at this stage, I'd give RDA the edge over McGregor (although maybe didn't expect him to be odds on). Regardless, I'll still be shouting McGregor on as much as everyone else.

qwabercd wrote: »
    Maybe it's down to the fact that the standard of opponent has increased as the fights have gone on? (with the exception of Siver, who very few predicted would beat McGregor)

I'm a big McGregor fan, but if I was to bet on his fights, as far as the odds go I would have backed against him every time (with the exception of Siver). That's more a mixture of me being a pessimist & probably underestimating McGregor, but definitely has nothing to do with desperate had.

And again, perhaps foolishly at this stage, I'd give RDA the edge over McGregor (although maybe didn't expect him to be odds on). Regardless, I'll still be shouting McGregor on as much as everyone else.

If there are two fighters, how are both supposed to be odds against? Surely the favourite is always odds on? In close fights both fighters are usually odds on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

The size difference between Edgar and Dos Anjos is probably around 45 pounds itself. Edgar only cut 5 pounds for the Mendes fight and Dos Anjos walks around at around 195. The fact that McGregor himself should look bigger, stronger and even more powerful at 155 can't be ignored though. Dos Anjos has been knocked out before, and while made huge improvements in his striking is still a little wild. I expect Conor to show good takedown defence, Lets hope he comes in injury free again too.

When the Goat KO's Dos Anjos stiff the same clowns will be saying hes dodging Robbie Lawler if he cured cancer some people would still find a stick to beat him with its funny really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

TimRiggins wrote: »
    The size difference between Edgar and Dos Anjos is probably around 45 pounds itself. Edgar only cut 5 pounds for the Mendes fight and Dos Anjos walks around at around 195. The fact that McGregor himself should look bigger, stronger and even more powerful at 155 can't be ignored though. Dos Anjos has been knocked out before, and while made huge improvements in his striking is still a little wild. I expect Conor to show good takedown defence, Lets hope he comes in injury free again too.

If Conor has a defense at 145 coming up after the Dos Anjos fight it doesn't really give him the chance to put any muscle on. He'll be 5 pounds heavier at most, but I'm guessing he'll look fairly similar and will just have a far easier weight cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Lukker- wrote: »
    If Conor has a defense at 145 coming up after the Dos Anjos fight it doesn't really give him the chance to put any muscle on. He'll be 5 pounds heavier at most, but I'm guessing he'll look fairly similar and will just have a far easier weight cut.

It's still 10 less pounds to cut at the end of the day, we've seen the advantages of fighters not having to do a massive cut leading up to the fight. It should be the best Conor McGregor we've seen in the UFC because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭qwabercd

BOHtox wrote: »
    If there are two fighters, how are both supposed to be odds against? Surely the favourite is always odds on? In close fights both fighters are usually odds on

I expected RDA to be odds against, hes odds on. McGregor also odds on with some bookies.

Gamebred wrote: »
    When the Goat KO's Dos Anjos stiff the same clowns will be saying hes dodging Robbie Lawler if he cured cancer some people would still find a stick to beat him with its funny really.
    Jesus when did this level of sherdog nuthuggery become acceptable on this forum?

John_D80 wrote: »
    Why do you think he is ducking him? Conor is very obviously looking for the fights that will make him the most money. A fight vs Frankie is about 4th or 5th on that list at the moment. Even a non-title fight at LW against the likes of Pettis or Cerrone would bring in more money for him than a fight vs Edgar.
    I think it would had made a lot more sporting sense for McGregor to fight Edgar first and then's he honestly finished at 145 and can move up and prepare for the higher weight properly, the money fights will still be there in a few months.. unless of course he loses to Edgar first and I reckon they're afraid of that, it makes good business sense sure to get the money first, but it's still ducking. I think if the same situation happened to anyone else, where you have a clear challenger and the champ is instead trying to move up just after winning the belt, this forum would be all over it. If he goes up and wins, I doubt we'll see him at 145 again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

This was a bit silly

Although I can see the funny side to it :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

TimRiggins wrote: »
    It's still 10 less pounds to cut at the end of the day, we've seen the advantages of fighters not having to do a massive cut leading up to the fight. It should be the best Conor McGregor we've seen in the UFC because of this.

I agree we should see the freshest Conor. That said I still think cutting big amounts of weight is more advantageous then being super fresh after an easy cut on fight night.

My prediction is that it'll take 2 or 3 power shots from Conor to drop him compared to his usual 1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Conor McGregor vs. Rafael dos Anjos and Holly Holm vs. Miesha Tate set for UFC 197 on March 5

https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/685288570525859841

Looks like McGregor will be facing Dos Anjos for the Lightweight belt at UFC 197 on March 5th in Vegas. Nothing official yet but all the signs are pointing to this. The lack of an announcement so far could be due to contract negotiations. Dos Anjos will be wanting a big pay day.

Unless the UFC refuse him and do the Diaz fight, could be fun.
    Others are finally reporting this, yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Billy86 wrote: »
    You sure about that? Every, Single, One?
    What about Siver?

Is always been a common opinion that Edgar was a tougher match up stylistically than Aldo. Since he debuted in the UFC Conor talked **** about the whole division. It always appeared to me that he gave Edgar a lot more credit than the rest.

• Advertisement

CYLTUDSUkAAD5dY.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement