Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Conor posted pic of him sitting on couch with 2 belts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

No surprise this was posted in the comments section on bj penn click bait central fb page but this made me laugh

'' So lets recap... Connor beats the #10 ranked fw and gets a title shot. Gets beat up for most of what i think was a fixed fight against mendes. Lands imo a lucky punch on aldo. Now doesnt even have to defend the title once to either aldo or frankie who are both more than deserving. And now he gets a crack at the lw title. UFC is trying to cash in on this McGregor train before it gets derailed in the very near future''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Gamebred wrote: »
    No surprise this was posted in the comments section on bj penn click bait central fb page but this made me laugh

'' So lets recap... Connor beats the #10 ranked fw and gets a title shot. Gets beat up for most of what i think was a fixed fight against mendes. Lands imo a lucky punch on aldo. Now doesnt even have to defend the title once to either aldo or frankie who are both more than deserving. And now he gets a crack at the lw title. UFC is trying to cash in on this McGregor train before it gets derailed in the very near future''

I can only assume you're taking the p*ss!

I can only assume you're taking the p*ss!

Nope somebody out here,probably more people too are of this opinion :pac: the mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

CYLTUDSUkAAD5dY.png

I thought rousey was getting an immediate rematch??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I thought rousey was getting an immediate rematch??

Didn't she break her jaw?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Saipanne wrote: »
    Didn't she break her jaw?

Don't know. Why was everyone giving out and saying meisha got screwed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Rousey was on for the immediate rematch.... But talk is that Holm, who likes to stay active was pushing hard to not have to wait 6 months for her first defence.
    Makes sense for the UFC really. Either way, Rousey is the name draw and having her on the 200 card against the winner of Holm/Tate is still an immediate rematch/shot at title for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Expect the official announcement to come on Sunday, unless plans change.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Don't know. Why was everyone giving out and saying meisha got screwed?
    Ronda is making two movies, Holm didn't want to wait.

They were saying Meisha Tate got screwed because she did, she was promised the next shot at Rousey, and then the UFC just changed their mind and announced the Holm fight without even telling Meisha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Its killing me that i wont be able to go to this one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Safest bet for the UFC, if Conor fought Frankie first and lost he couldn't fight RDA, now if he loses to RDA they can still sell a big fight with Frankie. Can't wait for this! RDA is a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

''

So you go online looking for stupid comments to repost?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

JJayoo wrote: »
    So you go online looking for stupid comments to repost?

The funny thing is that ridiculous post is exactly like gamebreds posts just on the opposite side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Davei141 wrote: »
    The funny thing is that ridiculous post is exactly like gamebreds posts just on the opposite side.

Hahaha, too true!

The betting is tight but RDA is favourite here and in the U.S,some nice handy money to be made on Conor as underdog,RDA needs an act of good to stop the McGregor War Machine.

The betting is tight but RDA is favourite here and in the U.S,some nice handy money to be made on Conor as underdog,RDA needs an act of good to stop the McGregor War Machine.

Or a takedown

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Or a takedown

Genuine Lol at that. Well played.

McGregor needs to just work on TDD for the next 2 months or what happened to Pettis will happen to him. RDA is a beast and if McGregor isn't on top of his ground game, he is gonna get ragdolled.

Or a takedown

Yep worked for Mendes a 100 times better wrestler than RDA didnt it (lets hear 2 week camp mendes excuses at the ready)

Dos anjos will try stand,get lit up get hurt and shoot a poor take down attempt and get ko'd,his chin has been cracked before it doesnt recover.

Yep worked for Mendes a 100 times better wrestler than RDA didnt it (lets hear 2 week camp mendes excuses at the ready)

Dos anjos will try stand,get lit up get hurt and shoot a poor take down attempt and get ko'd,his chin has been cracked before it doesnt recover.

Conor was on his back for over 5minutes, showed zero off his back and only got back to his feet because Mendes, for some bizarre reason, decided to go for a submission instead of ending the round on top. So ya it did work for Mendes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Mellor wrote: »
    You sure about that? Every, Single, One?
    What about Siver?

Is always been a common opinion that Edgar was a tougher match up stylistically than Aldo. Since he debuted in the UFC Conor talked **** about the whole division. It always appeared to me that he gave Edgar a lot more credit than the rest.

I heard a tonne of it for Siver too (moved to Toronto a little before the fight, so more general coverage here - though that also means more dumbed down coverage for a wider audience, admittedly). You might be right on him giving Frankie more credit, personally I can't remember it as well - but I always figured Chad was his worst matchup, personally. Would love to see a rematch of those two with a proper 3 months prep each.

Conor was on his back for over 5minutes

He was also on one knee practically for the entire camp,yet still won,RDA is a good gi grappler same way aldo was,looked what happened him,Conor wont curl up in a ball like pettis and cowboy did,neither can box or keep distance like the GOAT.

Chad was absolutely all over McGregor until he gassed - he had a valid excuse, as his prep time for a fight was short.

McGregor won through endurance, but was mauled until that kicked in - he had a valid excuse as his prep time for Chad's style was short.

Rematch between the two would be awesome, no cardio prep excuses for Chad and no TDD prep excuses for McGregor.

He was also on one knee practically for the entire camp,yet still won,RDA is a good gi grappler same way aldo was,looked what happened him,Conor wont curl up in a ball like pettis and cowboy did,neither can box or keep distance like the GOAT.

This knee injury seems to be getting worse, are you sure his leg didn't fall off? And he only got it back before the fight? Best wrestler in 145 vs a fighter with no background in wrestling do you honestly think a 8week camp compares to a lifetime of wrestling.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Chad was absolutely all over McGregor until he gassed - he had a valid excuse, as his prep time for a fight was short.

McGregor won through endurance, but was mauled until that kicked in - he had a valid excuse as his prep time for Chad's style was short.

Rematch between the two would be awesome, no cardio prep excuses for Chad and no TDD prep excuses for McGregor.

''Mauled'' ''full camp mendes'' ''Chad gassed''

Full house of excuses at the ready have a good day my friend im not even discussing that garbage

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCbp5yd0tBMF5PUp-BcYUReTUIrJwV-Jfpm0jt0zJ0qKLnUJenTg

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Will this be the first time McGregor is facing a Southpaw in the UFC? This could be a huge factor since McGregor will find it harder to land his big left hand, according to Jack Slack anyway. This is what he had to say in an older analysis of McGregor's style.
    For a start, McGregor is a southpaw—a left hander—and so stands with his right foot forward, the reverse of the norm. A southpaw versus orthodox engagement is a completely different dynamic to an orthodox versus orthodox or southpaw versus southpaw engagement. The most important point is that both men will find it easier to sneak their rear hand straights in than they would their jab.

This is because of the hand fight. The lead hands of the fighters get in the way of each other and create what some term “crossed swords”. Consequently, what we call the hand fight is more important. The man who has the outside hand position usually has control—allowing him to slap his opponent's lead hand down, across or sometimes upwards. You will see McGregor supressing his opponent's hands a great deal.

The important point is that it doesn't just cut off the lead hand, it is very difficult to step in and throw a good rear hand strike while the opponent is controlling your lead hand and looking to step outside your lead leg. Certainly, few people feel truly comfortable lunging in and punching with their back hand while their lead hand is still out in front of them, under the opponent's control.

This is a basic southpaw strategy that we looked at in good detail when studying Lyoto Machida, and Manny Pacquiao. Hand control kills the options of the opponent.

When McGregor's hand isn't on his opponent's, it's usually because he wants them to step in and commit to a punch.

f you are constantly suppressing an opponent's lead hand, then release it for a moment, they will often step in and throw without realizing that there's probably a reason you're letting them.

I'm very worried, but excited for this fight!

Full house of excuses at the ready have a good day my friend im not even discussing that garbage

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCbp5yd0tBMF5PUp-BcYUReTUIrJwV-Jfpm0jt0zJ0qKLnUJenTg

Must be hard for you to discuss anything, I mean Conor hasn't given an interview in sometime so you can't parrot off any of his new material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Conor was on his back for over 5minutes, showed zero off his back and only got back to his feet because Mendes, for some bizarre reason, decided to go for a submission instead of ending the round on top. So ya it did work for Mendes

Why is lying on top of somebody, throwing the odd elbow considered admirable work in MMA?

It's the one part of the sport that I don't like.

BJJ? Awesome.

Effective ground and pound? Awesome.

Lying on top of someone, throwing maybe three clean elbows per round? Errr, no thanks.

Saipanne wrote: »
    Why is lying on top of somebody, throwing the odd elbow considered admirable work in MMA?

It's the one part of the sport that I don't like.

BJJ? Awesome.

Effective ground and pound? Awesome.

Lying on top of someone, throwing maybe three clean elbows per round? Errr, no thanks.

Because you are in control of the fight, you are safe from your opponents attacks and you are doing damage, not really sure what not to get, and Mendes did go for a submission, even though he shouldn't have.

• Advertisement

You... seem to have completely ignored the point of my post? I'm a huge McGregor fan and was 100% cheering for him in that fight, and all his other fights, so your "full house of excuses at the ready" bit literally makes no sense.

McGregor got mauled in the early going from takedowns. Fact.
    McGregor had little time to prepare his takedown defense. Fact.
    Mendes gassed & got KO'd. Fact.
    Mendes had little time to prepare his cardio. Fact.

Which of these do you dispute?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement