Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Gamebred wrote: »
    Reebok thing is a complete joke at this stage Id love if the whole roster went on strike it would be teriffic.

100% agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

Saipanne wrote: »
    I still see racism against the Irish in every non boards thread about McGregor.

Sure, comments like "paddy", "mick" and nasty references to the potato famine don't affect me so much, but they are undoubtedly racist.

Meh, you get that with every country online. Wouldn't class a few comments on a message board as oppression

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

12376369_1329045787120880_2191332913379673229_n.jpg?oh=6dc8ab82107bb649484c5011b94060f9&oe=571031DB

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭DK224

CYjG4ctU0AA6D_t.jpg

Officially Official!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

UFC just announced the Dos Anjos fight its officially on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Conor McGregor:

OFFICIAL FIGHT ANNOUNCEMENT:

Conor McGregor Vs Rafael Dos Anjos for the UFC Lightweight World Championship.
    March 5th.
    MGM Grand, Las Vegas.
    LIVE ON PPV.

This McGregor Inc. executive business decision is brought to you by the King himself in association with EA Sports. 'McGregor is the Game.'

Mr. McGregor would like to thank the fans and the media for their patience in this decision.
    Mr. McGregor was still busy counting the take from his last fight.

He has chosen to dedicate this demolition job to the loyal people of Brazil and all the fans around the globe who stay true to their roots and loyal to their land.

Mr. McGregor has said that Rafael is a traitor to his people and vows to "behead the 'American Gringo' Rafael Dos Anjos, in the name of La Brasilia!"

Viva la Brasil!

See you all in Las Vegas, March 5th!!!

The King returns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Is anyone else seen this thread moved from the mma forum to the mma forum when you click onto the mma forum??

Very confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Is anyone else seen this thread moved from the mma forum to the mma forum when you click onto the mma forum??

Very confused!

Yeah I'm ending up on 1st page. It usually opens on my last read post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Very confused!

Yes. This is a big pain in the hole. I get brought to page 1 every time now rather than to my last read post.

In other news, delighted the fight is now official. Do you think we will see many Irish making the journey this time. It's a big ask so soon after 194 and the football in France a few months later might hurt the travelling fans to Vegas too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

dave1982 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm ending up on 1st page. It usually opens on my last read post?

Thought it was just me cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Very confused!

Not just you. It happened when another thread was merged with this one. It's a pain in the hole. It should go back to normal soon.

Edit: I just fixed it there. Let me know if it's still acting up for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Not just you. It happened when another thread was merged with this one. It's a pain in the hole. It should go back to normal soon.

Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

El Guapo! wrote: »

Nice one El Guapo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Really looking forward to this fight and what Conor can do next weight up.
    Hope he has something lined up for RDA,roll on March 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Very interesting article from Kavanagh posted a half an hour ago I think.

THIS PAST WEEKEND marked the beginning of Conor McGregor’s eight-week training camp for his next challenge.

Less than three months after taking just 13 seconds to take the featherweight belt from Jose Aldo, Conor will face lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos at UFC 197 in Las Vegas on Saturday, 5 March.

There was another option on the table at lightweight but this is the fight we wanted because it will be the first time any fighter has held two UFC belts simultaneously. BJ Penn tried but was unable to manage it, but I suppose if there’s one thing Conor enjoys doing more than knocking people out, it’s breaking records.

Will a challenger ever beat a champion again in just 13 seconds? I sincerely doubt it. I also believe it’s very unlikely – as long as weight classes remain as they are — that any fighter will be able to replicate what Conor will achieve at UFC 197, by being in possession of two UFC belts at the same time.

The elephant in the room in this situation, of course, has been Frankie Edgar. If Conor’s next fight was announced as being against Frankie, there would be a lot of complaints about him cutting too much weight and being too big for the rest of the 145lbs guys. People would also claim that he was running from Rafael dos Anjos.

Instead, they’ll say he should be staying at featherweight and that he’s afraid of Frankie. But as I’ve said many times before, it’s great that questions are being asked because answering them is what sport is all about. The day there are no more questions being asked of you is the day you’re no longer relevant.

No matter who Conor’s next opponent was going to be, people would complain. There’s no getting away from that. There are boxes to be ticked and, by the time Conor retires, he’ll have addressed them all. But they can’t all be done at the drop of a hat. We can only take it one at a time. Rafael dos Anjos is next. After that, maybe Frankie Edgar will get his chance at UFC 200 on 9 July. We’ll see.

I know Frankie is eager to get his shot, and he will. It’s not unusual for a champion to wait until the summertime to defend their belt — there are plenty of recent examples — so perhaps that’s when Frankie’s time will come. Look at this as a warm-up fight, albeit a dangerous one against the lightweight champion. Conor could fight Frankie in the summer, but in the meantime he’s taking another fight.

On average, Jose Aldo defended the featherweight title once every seven months. It would be a seven-month gap between Conor’s fight with Frankie, but I don’t recall Jose having to deal with the same amount of accusations of holding the division up. This might not be the case for other fighters, but due to Conor’s level of activity, he can afford to hold two belts and defend them regularly.

Conor has been cutting down to 145lbs since he was 16. He’s now 27 so it will be nice to take a break from that weight-cut. We’ve done it plenty of times before and we’ll do it again. Funnily enough, the last weight-cut — for the Aldo fight — was probably the best one yet thanks to the help of George Lockhart, who’s on board again for this fight. He’s part of the team now. You’ve seen Conor on salads… now watch what he’s like on steak.

It just allows us to focus even more on training and less on cutting weight. I think people will be surprised too when they see him standing beside these guys and they realise that even at lightweight, Conor is a pretty big guy.

And maybe the pursuit of belts won’t stop there either. I’ve said from the beginning that welterweight may not be out of the question. One of Conor’s main sparring partners, Gunnar Nelson, is a welterweight, so Conor is very used to that feel. I would not be at all surprised if we’re preparing to go for a third belt a year from now.

Dos Anjos has looked more comfortable with his striking in his last few fights so I think he’ll have a level of comfort on his feet, which he’ll want to test against Conor. If so, he’ll end up leaning into shots and being hit hard and early.

I believe this will be another one that won’t see the end of the first round. If dos Anjos manages to survive the first exchange, he’ll become a panicked grappler. Should that happen, I’m looking forward to people getting an opportunity to see just how comfortable Conor is in that regard.

This is a huge fight because of the historical significance of what’s at stake and I expect Conor to add to his legacy of breaking records. What will happen on 5 March will never happen again. It’ll be something for the record books. To say I’m excited is to put it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

anyone know when tickets go on sale ?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

pudzey101 wrote: »
    anyone know when tickets go on sale ?

Jan 22nd.
    Hopefully Dana is sound and puts Conor headlining Fight Pass to accommodate us Irish fans like he did with Duffy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,688 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Wow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Fight Club Presale:
    Starts Wednesday, January 20 – 10 am PT

Ticket Prices (Does not include fees):
    P1 = $1450
    P2 = $950
    P3 = $650
    P4 = $450
    P5 = $300
    P6 = $200

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

That_Guy wrote: »
    I hope it's RDA... If only because I met him in Vegas during the summer and is one of the funniest/nicest guys you could ever meet.

We're practically friends ya know.... :pac:

Me mate fightin' in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

P4 100 lids more than 189

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I hope I'm very wrong, but surely there won't be the traditional McGregor type atmosphere in Vegas for this one? The fight is less than 2 months out and many that will want to go will have been over at least once already with UFC 189 and UFC 194 I'd assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Paully D wrote: »
    I hope I'm very wrong, but surely there won't be the traditional McGregor type atmosphere in Vegas for this one? The fight is less than 2 months out and many that will want to go will have been over at least once already with UFC 189 and UFC 194 I'd assume?

Yep, can't imagine half as many will be over at this one. Was at 194 and there isn't a hope in hell I can afford to go again in March, and the ticket prices for 200 will put me off that as well I'd say. It will do well to sell out IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Paully D wrote: »

There's people who have been to neither and there's people who'll take their summer holidays to this and maybe a weekend away in August. I think the Irish will travel in numbers as usual. There won't be 189 numbers but the MGM will be 95% green imo

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭ItsAnEasyGame

Flights 425.
    Hotel 265 Double sharing NYNY 5 nights.
    Ticket 300

<€1100

Soooo tempted. Having attended 194 it tempts me even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

My brother in law and a few mates are heading over. I asked nicely and was told that I am definitely NOT going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Is there anybody on here who has been to every one of Conors ufc fights on here? pretty impressive if you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

What's the traitor reference conors making about?

Everyone seems to forget chael has held both mw and lhw belts :p

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Never a truer statement with regards to conor.

People won't rest until he has a massive fall from Grace.

Just for the record I think he's an absolute legend

I just think that it's a bit crazy to say the Irish are oppressed. The Irish are very much part of the 'white privilege' culture in the US (I am not a SWJ btw, but it's true). Maybe not when they first entered the America back in 'Gangs of NY' times, but we slotted nicely in soon afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

dave1982 wrote: »
    What's the traitor reference conors making about?

Everyone seems to forget chael has held both mw and lhw belts :p

Dana has "held" all the belts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement