Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

parc wrote: »
    Just for the record I think he's an absolute legend

I just think that it's a bit crazy to say the Irish are oppressed. The Irish are very much part of the 'white privilege' culture in the US (I am not a SWJ btw, but it's true). Maybe not when they first entered the America back in 'Gangs of NY' times, but we slotted nicely in soon afterwards.

Historically we were oppressed and also i think there is a kinda of lingering stench of oppression in the English speaking world towards Irish most people don't mind some people do.

You only gotta listen to some of the stuff spouted by Aussie politians even the prime minister himself there has said some crazy stuff about the Irish and it seems to be acceptable in the English speaking world to deride the Irish whereas you say it about any other Minority you are hung drawn and quartered.

If you go on any of the standard mma sites when Conor first broke through and he was brash and loud just read the comments where it was perfectly acceptable to use but if it was used against any other minority it would be racist and they would banned etc. I think Conor feels that stuff,Chael has said some insulting Irish stuff about potatoes etc on twitter at Conor but his job on Fox never in doubt but if it was about any minority he would be out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

newbbieb wrote: »
    Chael has said some insulting Irish stuff about potatoes etc on twitter at Conor but his job on Fox never in doubt but if it was about any minority he would be out the door.

That was just Chael trying to generate some interest in himself, in the same way Conor called Siver a Nazi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Tazzimus wrote: »
    That was just Chael trying to generate some interest in himself, in the same way Conor called Siver a Nazi

I'm not really gonna defend anything Conor said its not really my point i mean no matter what Conor said or how he behaves it doesn't make it then perfectly acceptable for someone to then insult everyone Irish.I mean he is just one Irish guy you can't then insult everyone Irish because of the actions of one guy thats really my point.But when it comes to Irish people that seems to be acceptable in the English speaking world.I do believe he deleted that Nazi tweet super fast anyway because of the heat he was getting i doubt Chael had to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Ya potatoe reference is on par with calling a German a Nazi.....

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

If anyone can afford to go, just do it. UFC 194 was incredible and I'd go again in a second if I could afford it. Unfortunately I'll have to cover this one from Dublin. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Chase3 wrote: »
    If anyone can afford to go, just do it. UFC 194 was incredible and I'd go again in a second if I could afford it. Unfortunately I'll have to cover this one from Dublin. :(

Went to 194, tempted to again.

Flights and hotel aren't bad, it's actually the ticket that kills me.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Deadst4r wrote: »
    Went to 194, tempted to again.

Flights and hotel aren't bad, it's actually the ticket that kills me.
    At least every seat in the MGM is decent, but I know what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Chase3 wrote: »
    At least every seat in the MGM is decent, but I know what you mean.

I do agree the tiered seating in there is awesome, but I would hate to have to look past P4.

I want to watch with my eyes and not the screen. (unless it goes to ground)

<edit> although I'd also be using my eyes for the screen as well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Can't afford another trip. I'll be watching from the comfort of bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

I know its early but would anywhere in Dublin be showing this fight live? Have to get a flight from Dublin early that Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

That is embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    I know its early but would anywhere in Dublin be showing this fight live? Have to get a flight from Dublin early that Sunday morning.

Just buy the ppv for €18 on the ufc app and watch it on ur phone/ tablet at the airport with the wifi?

JJayoo wrote: »
    Ya potatoe reference is on par with calling a German a Nazi.....

One references millions of deaths inflicted on a people, while the other references millions of deaths inflicted by a people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Has dillashaw ever fought at fw? Id love to see McGregor kick him around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

hefferboi wrote: »
    Has dillashaw ever fought at fw? Id love to see McGregor kick him around the place.

He might move up after Cruz gives him a whoopin' this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Hoki wrote: »
    Just buy the ppv for €18 on the ufc app and watch it on ur phone/ tablet at the airport with the wifi?

Thanks wouldn't have even thought of that. Would rather watch it somewhere on a big screen but would definitely do the above as a last resort.

Thanks wouldn't have even thought of that. Would rather watch it somewhere on a big screen but would definitely do the above as a last resort.

See if there are any smart TV's in the airport lounge/pubs and use the share option through the app, you'll be able to stream straight to the TV :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Hoki wrote: »

Its likely the airport wifi would throttle enough not to be able to stream video over wifi. You might ask them to confirm approximate wifi speeds before buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

califano wrote: »
    Its likely the airport wifi would throttle enough not to be able to stream video over wifi. You might ask them to confirm approximate wifi speeds before buying it.

He could possibly use his phone as a WiFi hotspot. I can stream away, using this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

dave1982 wrote: »

Sure he's already on the Turkish notes.

1796455_10153973115273083_1335032468397813189_n.jpg?oh=099b0e9e81c89b33010fd162bb278c61&oe=570923C8&__gda__=1460110557_f40da2e7cccd0764205637b007271ada

*Stolen from his FB comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Would be a bit dumb, but if he has a monster 2016 then a limited number of them being printed (like England's Euro 96 2 pound coin) wouldn't really be the worst thing in the world. I wouldn't necessarily be in major support of it or anything, but wouldn't be against it either... stressing of course, a limited number!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Even if he won the belt at every weight class it wouldn't happen. It's funny though that it's gotten as far as it has.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

shrewdness wrote: »
    Sure he's already on the Turkish notes.

1796455_10153973115273083_1335032468397813189_n.jpg?oh=099b0e9e81c89b33010fd162bb278c61&oe=570923C8&__gda__=1460110557_f40da2e7cccd0764205637b007271ada

*Stolen from his FB comments.

I think that's actually Captain Picard :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

lertsnim wrote: »
    Even if he won the belt at every weight class it wouldn't happen. It's funny though that it's gotten as far as it has.

Once there's a certain amount if signatures on a petition, Id say they are obligated to discuss it. It'll be a quick dismissal I imagine.
    Any limited edition coins this year will be dedicated to the 1916 centenary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Conor would probably be insulted by the €1 coin talk, he wants to be on them €500 Notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I really really hope Conor goes through camp without getting any big injuries and he's close to 100% come fight time.

• Advertisement

was bored last night at a loose end and decided to watch RDA in action in the last few fights. I have to say, and I'll be blasted for this, not too impressed, I remembered him lashing petis out of it, but not really the case, yes he beat em up but he was just stronger I thought. he's another one of these lads that walks around after you, quite flat footed, throwing power shots, powerful mid section kicks, powerful punches, (not nearly in mcgregors league) from planted feet too. in terms of accuracy or speed, not one bit. In fact I'm disappointed in petis for having been beaten by him on the night really. Petis hit him a few nice punches and they had no purchase really, where as McGregor would have made him feel it.

This has an effect on a fighter, because the aggressor gains confidence and the defender get's anxious. it causes hesitation and can you imagine if say Mcgregor hesitated against aldo?? he didn't, he didn't panic and he reverted to all too frequent type, good knockout.

Mcgregor is 1" taller than RDA and has a 4 inch reach advantage, also if RDA is bigger (and he is very much so) this weight cut with no IV recovery, may be hard on him.

I watched mcgregors fight against Ivan Buchinger at 155 and he did not look physically different really but by jasus was he fast and powerful. That fight made all his UFC fights actually look slow, he was fierce impressive, no wonder white signed him. Id say the Brazilians will do and take anything not to lose this, I'd say if you test RDA the day of the fight, he'd be off the charts. Think of it, another Brazilian fighting icon, stripped by the Irishman!! consecutively???

if conor can stay away from them heavy legs he'll beat em I feel, they guy's simply not fast enough. If he's getting picked apart early on, he'll dive for cover and try use that BJJ black belt grade of his. you have to imagine also, he's slower and also half as dynamic as ALDO so avoiding his kicks should be easy enough, its not like conor mcgregor hasn't been practicing really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement