Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

martyos121 wrote: »
    Anyway back on topic, Dillashaw was bitching last night that Conor has changed the way UFC promotes fights and he isn't too fond of the idea that he has to promote his own. I've him backed to win on Sunday, but what a load of shîte. Is he too stupid to realise that promoting your fight makes you more money?! He must be sparring with a brick and practising headbutts.

Maybe he should ask Ludwig how he promotes his peanut butter and take some tips from that :D
    Maybe now that he doesn't have the backing of Faber and no real public backing from the rest of his ex AM team mates he's feeling the pressure. I agree with you it is stupid on his part not to want to promote his own fights but I don't think this is a new and startling revelation. Fighters IMO have always had to take on some responsibilities on promotion whether its through doing interviews and media spots or using social media to keep fans interested in what you are doing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Seen an interview with TJ the other day and his face looked banged up,he is known for treating sparring like a fight the moron,he will never be a ppv star typical american jock great fighter but no personality at all,not to mention his slimey exit from TAM,which I'd have no problem with if he came out from the start and left instead of delaying it.

I agree, he's the personality of a wet Mop. he's no charisma, even when mc gregor put it up to him over the departure in TUF, with everyone around, he couldn't muster one half decent come back. he shifted round like an awkward teenager waiting for Faber to weigh in on the defence.

I'd love to see his face smashed and have him stopped in this fight, no decision even. and how would that make faber look?? great, Big I told ya so smile on him then, Fook you ludwig!

I found a new liking for faber after TUF, but make no mistake, I've always thought he was a savage fighter. one of my favourites of all time.

also what's with dillashaw having his top off every miinute of the day, when wearing jeans too it looks camp as a pet shop boys album cover!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/687968687375126528
    "John had his hair pulled. It felt like being back in school with a bunch of bullies,” Edward told the Irish Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

rusty cole wrote: »
    I agree, he's the personality of a wet Mop. he's no charisma, even when mc gregor put it up to him over the departure in TUF, with everyone around, he couldn't muster one half decent come back. he shifted round like an awkward teenager waiting for Faber to weigh in on the defence.

I'd love to see his face smashed and have him stopped in this fight, no decision even. and how would that make faber look?? great, Big I told ya so smile on him then, Fook you ludwig!

I found a new liking for faber after TUF, but make no mistake, I've always thought he was a savage fighter. one of my favourites of all time.

also what's with dillashaw having his top off every miinute of the day, when wearing jeans too it looks camp as a pet shop boys album cover!

I say you feel much better for that little rant LOL. I 100% agree with you though. TJ has the personality of a manhole and comes across as a little runt. Definitely changed my mind on Faber too, really like him on TUF and if he fights The Snake I'll be cheering on The California Kid.

• Advertisement

I always liked faber (not a fan of the camp topless group photos) you have to laugh though. He reminds me of that dwight goodman, guy from Dodgeball, "were better than you and we know it". even on the thread mill with his dodgy hair style and sweat band, priceless! How did Conor not pick up that.

anyone any thoughts on the petis fight?
    I'll go for the ex champ all the way, think he'll win in style too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

yeah I agree with you. the onus should be more on him to turn up having received the support early on. maybe he'll be on in the coming weeks
    Maybe he's waiting to come on with the 2 belts :cool:

you say that in jest and I gotta agree, the thought crossed my mind :D
    that would be something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

yeah I agree with you. the onus should be more on him to turn up having received the support early on. maybe he'll be on in the coming weeks

Early on? He'd already made a UFC debut the entire MMA world was talking about before he was ever contacted about the Late Late hadnt he?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

McGregor was training TKD last night at my mate's club and he says he looks absolutely massive. 155 is gonna unleash a whole other monster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

He is a big lad. Around 80kg walking around lean and much more muscle at that weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Early on? He'd already made a UFC debut the entire MMA world was talking about before he was ever contacted about the Late Late hadnt he?

ah yeah, I just mean in terms of public persona and general mainstream-ness :D. the late would be good for him that way. still he's tons to do so good for him.

He is a big lad. Around 80kg walking around lean and much more muscle at that weight.

I met him two years ago while he was having an MRI to get the all clear for rehab etc. and he was completely sound firstly, secondly he looked like an Olympic swimmer or rower in terms of how lean and broad he was. I'm about 85kg and 2" taller and he seemed bigger than me, that's the main thing that struck me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Even look at his fight with Buchinger at 155, he looks so much thicker and stronger. I really can't wait to see him at 155. He's not going to have the size advantage like he does at 145, but he's definitely not a small 155'er. He's actually still probably bigger than average.

Weirdly enough, I'm more confident against RDA than I was against either Mendes or Aldo. If it goes to the ground, obviously it's bad news for Conor given RDA's strength and BJJ, but I think he'll want to stand. And if it stays standing, a healthy, non-drained Conor is going to be even more dangerous.

Cannot wait. Thankfully the wait is shorter than usual. Bamma will be a lovely card to break up the wait.

RDA another overated grappler submits nobody like I said about Aldo stick them in the gi they would beat Conor,MMA grappling complete different ball game hes never submitted any legit top class fighter never mind a world champion,good luck holding Conor down for 5 rounds while hes at his prime weight and no injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Gamebred wrote: »
    RDA another overated grappler submits nobody like I said about Aldo stick them in the gi they would beat Conor,MMA grappling complete different ball game hes never submitted any legit top class fighter never mind a world champion,good luck holding Conor down for 5 rounds while hes at his prime weight and no injuries.

Yeah, sure he only outgrappled Pettis - a guy who has submitted elite fighters. RDA has quality TDs and top control, he doesn't need to submit him to win this fight.

moneyman wrote: »
    Even look at his fight with Buchinger at 155, he looks so much thicker and stronger. I really can't wait to see him at 155. He's not going to have the size advantage like he does at 145, but he's definitely not a small 155'er. He's actually still probably bigger than average.

Weirdly enough, I'm more confident against RDA than I was against either Mendes or Aldo. If it goes to the ground, obviously it's bad news for Conor given RDA's strength and BJJ, but I think he'll want to stand. And if it stays standing, a healthy, non-drained Conor is going to be even more dangerous.

Cannot wait. Thankfully the wait is shorter than usual. Bamma will be a lovely card to break up the wait.

RDA goes for takedowns early and often imo - why wouldn't he? He showed against Pettis he knows how to execute a gameplan perfectly.

Yeah, sure he only outgrappled Pettis - a guy who has submitted elite fighters. RDA has quality TDs and top control, he doesn't need to submit him to win this fight.

Pettis is a good grappler and can find a sub no doubt about it,but he has been wrestle ****ed before its a proven tatic on beating him clay guida done it who funnily enough beat RDA too on that run,RDA will shoot from miles out afraid to get clipped,Conor has much better footwork than Pettis and wont be backed up against a cage allowing RDA to use it to secure takedowns

There will be no ground advantage RDA will trade and will be finished,IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

He will definitely shoot early imo.

I understand he has been successful with striking recently and has confidence, but anyone who has watched that Aldo fight and thought 'I'll stand and trade' is ****ing insane.

• Advertisement

Deadst4r wrote: »
    He will definitely shoot early imo.

I understand he has been successful with striking recently and has confidence, but anyone who has watched that Aldo fight and thought 'I'll stand and trade' is ****ing insane.

Professional fighters have huge egos,Conor will get under his skin and make him trade,they all have RDA will be no different.

Professional fighters have huge egos,Conor will get under his skin and make him trade,they all have RDA will be no different.

I know what you mean, destroy him at his own game and all that.

I reckon when they exchange once, he will definitely shoot.

If he can't take him down after 2 attempts, he will stand and trade.

But he will take him down imo.

Bull. RDA goes for takedowns early, I'd put big money on it. Aldo would've too if he had the chance. Only way Conor doesn't get taken down is if he clips him coming into the pocket, which isn't unrealistic IMO. If RDA grabs hold I think Conor's going down.

Pettis is a good grappler and can find a sub no doubt about it,but he has been wrestle ****ed before its a proven tatic on beating him clay guida done it who funnily enough beat RDA too on that run,RDA will shoot from miles out afraid to get clipped,Conor has much better footwork than Pettis and wont be backed up against a cage allowing RDA to use it to secure takedowns

There will be no ground advantage RDA will trade and will be finished,IMO.

Conor has better boxing and footwork than Pettis but takedown defence, I don't think so. If Mendes could do what he did I'm sure RDA could. Conor needs to make the most of this fight when it's standing.

Im not saying he will have a sprawl like Rory Mac against Maia but using that one Mendes fight is very very dangerous pidgeon holing Conors Wrestling,he was on one knee for the camp weather you believe it or not thats your decision,the danger in shooting takedowns on him is leaving yourself open,there is no many like him who can land moving backwards like he did against Aldo,

He will teep kick to keep distance im sure,remember if we want to use the getting taken down by mendes whose the best wrestler at 145 as a reason why conor will lose thats fine and sure its recent enough,but lets talk about RDA getting knocked into Oblivion by Jeremy Stevens,hes also lost to people like guida and the juicer tibau,he is no monster this is another easy night for Conor who I believe is just levels above anyone atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

i think people are in for a surprise, McGregor is going to be very big and strong. Don't care what people say, versus Mendes but his knee was bolloxed (re-watch it and check out how he accepted some take-downs but stopped the ones that mattered).

Physically now at 27 he is close to his pinnacle. Dos Anjos won't make the same mistake as Aldo but I think McGregor may just put on a clinic

I hope you're right lads, but I think RDA has the tools to beat him. That's all I'll say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I hope you're right lads, but I think RDA has the tools to beat him. That's all I'll say.

Sure we heard the same said about Poirier, Mendes and Aldo. Look what happened to them, barely lasted 10minutes between all 3 of 'em ;)

He say it himself and I believe it,when you sign the contract its not like a normal routine fight where you train then lay it on the line the best gameplan wins and thats it,with him its the build up the media the trash talk the pressure of try being the one to dethrone,its a nice advantage.

• Advertisement

He say it himself and I believe it,when you sign the contract its not like a normal routine fight where you train then lay it on the line the best gameplan wins and thats it,with him its the build up the media the trash talk the pressure of try being the one to dethrone,its a nice advantage.

I see they are doing a press conference on the presale date (20th Jan) with RDA, Conor, Holm and Tate.

I think the will take every opportunity he gets to wind up RDA. He got bored of the Aldo thing / ran out of abuse.

He will be fairly fresh for RDA and I expect some burns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement