Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Gamebred wrote: »
    I was spouting rubbish before the fight in December according to some people and look how that ended,he couldnt possible beat a black belt like aldo who held wins over ''Cobrinha'' who nobody even knew of till dec,you dont want to recgonize greatness when its before your eyes your great grand children will be telling their grand kids about the combat legend that is Conor McGregor,believe that

Conor Bless.

Are you Conor?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I was spouting rubbish before the fight in December according to some people and look how that ended,he couldnt possible beat a black belt like aldo who held wins over ''Cobrinha'' who nobody even knew of till dec,you dont want to recgonize greatness when its before your eyes your great grand children will be telling their grand kids about the combat legend that is Conor McGregor,believe that

Conor Bless.

Look, we know you love McGregor to bits, but the quotes and the narrow-mindedness of disagreeing with everyone that speaks against him isn't doing you too many favours here. You obviously know plenty about the sport but jumping to Conor's defence on every little issue makes it hard to take you seriously at times. Carry on with it if you want, but I just thought I'd tell you how it is without having a go at you (not that anyone here is).

None of us doubt that McGregor is a world class athlete and mixed martial artist, one of the greatest Irish sportsmen in history and at only 27 is saying an awful lot, but that doesn't mean we can't give credit to his opponents where it's due and it certainly doesn't mean we can't criticise Conor, because to be honest there's a lot about him that is far from perfect. If you can't see anything wrong with him, you're setting yourself up for a huge disappointment when he tastes defeat, whenever that may come, but it will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

hefferboi wrote: »
    I'm Conor's biggest fan, but jesus this thread has gone to sh!t lately because every second post is the same lad regurgitating McGregor's quotes. It really is fcuking painful.

In all honesty this thread typically isn't the place to come to for reasonable discussion especially around fight time. Best to steer clear!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

martyos121 wrote: »
    Look, we know you love McGregor to bits, but the quotes and the narrow-mindedness of disagreeing with everyone that speaks against him isn't doing you too many favours here. You obviously know plenty about the sport but jumping to Conor's defence on every little issue makes it hard to take you seriously at times. Carry on with it if you want, but I just thought I'd tell you how it is without having a go at you (not that anyone here is).

None of us doubt that McGregor is a world class athlete and mixed martial artist, one of the greatest Irish sportsmen in history and at only 27 is saying an awful lot, but that doesn't mean we can't give credit to his opponents where it's due and it certainly doesn't mean we can't criticise Conor, because to be honest there's a lot about him that is far from perfect. If you can't see anything wrong with him, you're setting yourself up for a huge disappointment when he tastes defeat, whenever that may come, but it will come.

Look I do say most things tongue in cheek,people that take word for word what I say as gospel need to cop on,Of Course RDA is a beast hes the 2nd best 155er in the world behind Khabib on one of the best win streaks in mma but I genuinely think he has nothing for Conor,just think hes too far ahead of the game from training to striking,maybe not a better grappler but its not enough of an edge for RDA to beat him IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    No matter how good somebody is, there is always someone better

This makes absolutely zero sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Right that's it sunshine, you're barred. That common sense style posting and reasonable non-confrontational tone has no place in this thread.

I'm surprised at you Marty, you've been around here long enough to know better.

Look I do say most things tongue in cheek,people that take word for word what I say as gospel need to cop on,Of Course RDA is a beast hes the 2nd best 155er in the world behind Khabib on one of the best win streaks in mma but I genuinely think he has nothing for Conor,just think hes too far ahead of the game from training to striking,maybe not a better grappler but its not enough of an edge for RDA to beat him IMO.

The problem is that the last part about RDA having nothing for Conor clearly isn't tongue-in-cheek, and that's the issue here. We get when you're making a joke, but you clearly don't joke when you pure hyping up Conor. You dismiss any argument against him like it doesn't matter and don't give his opponent any chance of winning. You're setting yourself up for an embarrassing fall when he does lose.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Right that's it sunshine, you're barred. That common sense style posting and reasonable non-confrontational tone has no place in this thread.

I'm surprised at you Marty, you've been around here long enough to know better.

You're right, I don't know what came over me.

Oh and you can take that post and shove it up your hole! :cool:

JustTheOne wrote: »

How so? Everybody is beatable, everyone thinks their on top until they're dethroned by someone better.

The problem is that the last part about RDA having nothing for Conor clearly isn't tongue-in-cheek, and that's the issue here. We get when you're making a joke, but you clearly don't joke when you pure hyping up Conor. You dismiss any argument against him like it doesn't matter and don't give his opponent any chance of winning. You're setting yourself up for an embarrassing fall when he does lose.

Wrong,If he fights Khabib I'd be worried about him laying on him for 5rds,RDA will trade at some stage on the feet and pay the price,im sorry but I cant change my opinion to suit other people on RDA.

• Advertisement

You're right, I don't know what came over me.

Oh and you can take that post and shove it up your hole! :cool:

That is more in keeping with the general theme of this thread. All is forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

For some bizarre reason you think Dos Anjos is a human wrecking machine,hes not

For some bizarre reason you think Conor is unbeatable, he isn't - to someone that trains that should be obvious. Taking an extremist opinion of anything (at either end) is almost always wrong. Conor winning doesn't actually validate that extremist view.
    There's an obvious reason why Conor approaches the fight with 100% belief. But an educated fan copying it is just silly. You do understand why, right?

I mentioned Cobrinha before the Aldo fight, but it was an example of his BJJ background level, I never said it made him unbeatable. I don't think anyone did, but maybe (I knew who Cobrinha was before December).
    For the record, I picked him to win by KO verses Aldo. And I'm picking the same verses RDA. I don't disagree with your pick, just the way you present it.

Mellor wrote: »
    For some bizarre reason you think Conor is unbeatable, he isn't - to someone that trains that should be obvious. Taking an extremist opinion of anything (at either end) is almost always wrong. Conor winning doesn't actually validate that extremist view.
    There's an obvious reason why Conor approaches the fight with 100% belief. But an educated fan copying it is just silly. You do understand why, right?

I mentioned Cobrinha before the Aldo fight, but it was an example of his BJJ background level, I never said it made him unbeatable. I don't think anyone did, but maybe (I knew who Cobrinha was before December).
    For the record, I picked him to win by KO verses Aldo. And I'm picking the same verses RDA. I don't disagree with your pick, just the way you present it.

Come now im not going back checking but the amount of times I read BJJ World champ beat Cobrinha blah blah blah before the fight was a joke,that wasnt a grappling match so it had no baring on it and I was proved right,same way the rda fight is not a grappling match,he didnt just out grapple Pettis he light him up too,that wont be happening here,as much of a cardio machine rda is he wont have it in him after eating some left hands down the pipe to try and turn it into a grappling match,

Its my opinion some people seem to scoff at it,fair enough time will tell march 5th we find out whose right,a lot of people seem to be sitting on the fence afraid to call the fight covering their arse,its only a bit of fun discussing the fight few on here take it so personal if you dont agree with them and post the ''ive added _____'' to my ignore list,school yard stuff.

Come now im not going back checking but the amount of times I read BJJ World champ beat Cobrinha blah blah blah before the fight was a joke,that wasnt a grappling match so it had no baring on it
    Grappling matches/ability has no bearing on MMA, wut? What do you compete in exactly?
    Any I can only comment on when I mention it, not the whole forum. It was a factor for me, although not an definitive one as I pick Conor to win.
    Its my opinion some people seem to scoff at it,fair enough time will tell march 5th we find out whose right,
    Nobody is scoffing at you picking Conor. It's the fact you are pretending it's a 100% guarantee. No fight is 100%. But I don't think you actually believe that it's a guarantee, nor that the Aldo win was. Or less you'd have put the mortgage on.

If Conor wins, that doesn't prove you are right in that it was guaranteed.

Eg
    Bill and Ben are arguing on a coin-flip. Bill says it will always land on heads. Ben says it will always land on tails.
    They flip the coin and it comes up...heads.
    "See, I was right" says Bill.

But in reality, they were both wrong. It's called confirmation bias. Don't get me wrong, I have Conor as a favourite over RDA, but it's a small margin. Not 100%.

Grappling matches/ability has no bearing on MMA, wut? What do you compete in exactly?
    Any I can only comment on when I mention it, not the whole forum. It was a factor for me, although not an definitive one as I pick Conor to win.

Nobody is scoffing at you picking Conor. It's the fact you are pretending it's a 100% guarantee. No fight is 100%. But I don't think you actually believe that it's a guarantee, nor that the Aldo win was. Or less you'd have put the mortgage on.

If Conor wins, that doesn't prove you are right that it was guaranteed.

Eg
    "Bill and Ben are arguing on a coin-flip. Bill says it will always land on heads. Ben says it will

The Problem is that coin flip has went my way 15 times in a row,as I said about Aldo its nice to see a good guy get a nice payday for the beating they're about to take RDA is a good fighter but unfortunetly hes fighting a great fighter in his prime,I genuinely dont see him making it past the 2nd round,Im also not the only one with this view so anyone calling me ignorant can level the same label at John Kavanagh.

How so? Everybody is beatable, everyone thinks their on top until they're dethroned by someone better.

But at a given moment you can be the best.

The best team wins the league. Maybe not the following season but at the time of winning they are the best. Same with golf tennis whatever.

Yes someone may come along and beat you but when youre on top you are the best at the present time.

But at a given moment you can be the best.

The best team wins the league. Maybe not the following season but at the time of winning they are the best. Same with golf tennis whatever.

Yes someone may come along and beat you but when youre on top you are the best at the present time.

Jesus, it was a figure of speech. You know, I know, everybody knows what he was getting at.

People on this thread need to chill out and stop being so literal, all the time. It gets tiresome the 14,000th time.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Jesus, it was a figure of speech. You know, I know, everybody knows what he was getting at.

People on this thread need to chill out and stop being so literal, all the time. It gets tiresome the 14,000th time.

I think you need to chill mate its all good:)

Leave him alone.
    Maybe he woke up, went to his tv to watch cruz v dillishaw and realised its not on till tomorrow :)

I'm the absolute definition of chill. Zen is my middle name. I'm just hoping it will rub off on others and they'll stop being so painfully pedantic all the time!! :)

• Advertisement

Leave him alone.
    Maybe he woke up, went to his tv to watch cruz v dillishaw and realised its not on till tomorrow :)

I actually just done this!!

Leave him alone.

Not at all!! I've spent the last week preparing my body and mind for the prospect of going into work on Monday morning with almost no sleep at all after being up all night tonight!! Early night for the last few, taking my day off training tomorrow instead of today, no wine this weekend etc etc

When you get this old you need to insulate yourself from the rigours of being an mma fan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

It does though. Because no matter how good someone is in MMA, there's always going to be someone with an answer for their skillset.

Styles make fights. Nobody is perfect in any discipline and as a result there will always be someone who has an edge over you in one discipline or another.

Oh you're a great striker, well I'm going to d'arce choke you to sleep.
    Oh you're a jiu-jitsu black belt, I'm going to wrestle **** you until you're exhausted and then feed you elbows until the ref stops it.
    Oh you're a wrestler, I'm going to use sambo and judo throws until I dislocate your brain from you skull and then rip your knee off with a leg lock.

etc.

Everyone has a weakness, and it just takes the right fighter to find the weakness. There's always be someone who's better at some aspect than you and if they figure out how to exploit that weakness, you lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

The Problem is that coin flip has went my way 15 times in a row,
    If that happened with the coin, it still wouldnt mean it will always be heads.

My point is, when Conor wins it doesn't prove right the idea that he was guaranteed. But as I said, you don't believe that either, or else you have your net worth on the outcome.
    so anyone calling me ignorant can level the same label at John Kavanagh.
    I highly doubt John Is writing off RDA like you are tbh. I imagine he knows Conor can win, but I'm sure he recognises he's a step up from Porrier, Mendes, Aldo etc.

On the flip side, RDA also has more tape on Conor than any of his previous opponents. His team are much, much, better at gameplanning than Dede Pederneiras. Or Maybe the Brazilian will bull rush him like a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

My point is, when Conor wins it doesn't prove right the idea that he was guaranteed. But as I said, you don't believe that either, or else you have your net worth on the outcome.

I highly doubt John Is writing off RDA like you are tbh. I imagine he knows Conor can win, but I'm sure he recognises he's a step up from Porrier, Mendes, Aldo etc.

On the flip side, RDA also has more tape on Conor than any of his previous opponents. His team are much, much, better at gameplanning than Dede Pederneiras. Or Maybe the Brazilian will bull rush him like a fool.

Excellent point - RDAs team much more savvy. Dede in between the rounds in Baraos rematch with TJ was just baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

ASOT wrote: »

I'm not saying what he said was true, but Botter seems to have a decent link to McGregor's camp based on stories he has broken before.

Interesting to see how things develop.

Coin flipping analogy is irrelevant in this discussion absolute pie in the sky,we cant have 10000 fights (flips) needed for your averages so its garbage talk,again its you covering your arse if no matter the result,discrediting my prediction on the fight incase it comes to fruition,

Of Course he recgonises the step up in competition as do I,RDA is better than all them bar Aldo imo,still levels below McGregors skill and fight IQ,if you like I can link you to JK's prediction of this fight and hes of the same opinion as me,early KO (as usual).

CY5xVynWYAA-JO-.jpg

He is looking huge at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

(slightly off topic Mod, apologies but perhaps an interesting topic about betting odds and how to understand them!)

Re: the coin flip analogy. *WARNING, SOME MATHS AHEAD! CONCENTRATE! :) *

The term for this is "results based reasoning".
    It happens a lot in Poker, which is another of my interests :).
    People make some terrible bet and then when their required Ace miraculously turns up on the last card and they say "see, told you I was right to make the bet".
    (A common saying in poker is: Its an easy game to play backwards).

You cant use past results to justify past actions in that way. You can, of course, use past results to justify future belief. This is where the coin analogy breaks down. See, we already KNOW the coin should be 50/50. Physics and common sense tells us that.
    Suppose instead I had a computer generate a random number and 15 times in a row the computer spits out "4". With no further information, if asked to bet on the next number, I'm betting on 4!

Suppose I'm told that the computer is picking between two numbers (say 4 and 5) but with unequal (non-zero) probability? Now I'm not so sure of my bet, but I'm still going with 4. However I cant say for certain it will be 4, and if it comes up 4 I cant claim to always have been 100% right to go with 4.

Probabilities are weird things. More than people know.
    Here's a famous game for you to play:

An evil villain offers you 3 boxes. You are told 2 are rigged to electrocute you if you open them. The third has 1 meeeeeeellion (sp?) quid in it.
    You select a box and before its opened the villain takes one of the two remaining boxes and shows you that it really was rigged to kill. He discards that box and leaves you with your selected box and the last remaining box you didn't select.
    He offers you the chance to change your mind:

Should you:
    1. Change your mind and go with the other box. Cos now its 50/50
    2. Stick with the first box you chose. Cos its still 1 in 3 that you chose the money in the first place.

I'll only accept answers with explanations of *why* its right :):p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement