Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

DeVore wrote: »
    (slightly off topic Mod, apologies but perhaps an interesting topic about betting odds and how to understand them!)

Re: the coin flip analogy. *WARNING, SOME MATHS AHEAD! CONCENTRATE! :) *

The term for this is "results based reasoning".
    It happens a lot in Poker, which is another of my interests :).
    People make some terrible bet and then when their required Ace miraculously turns up on the last card and they say "see, told you I was right to make the bet".
    (A common saying in poker is: Its an easy game to play backwards).

You cant use past results to justify past actions in that way. You can, of course, use past results to justify future belief. This is where the coin analogy breaks down. See, we already KNOW the coin should be 50/50. Physics and common sense tells us that.
    Suppose instead I had a computer generate a random number and 15 times in a row the computer spits out "4". With no further information, if asked to bet on the next number, I'm betting on 4!

Suppose I'm told that the computer is picking between two numbers (say 4 and 5) but with unequal (non-zero) probability? Now I'm not so sure of my bet, but I'm still going with 4. However I cant say for certain it will be 4, and if it comes up 4 I cant claim to always have been 100% right to go with 4.

Probabilities are weird things. More than people know.
    Here's a famous game for you to play:

An evil villain offers you 3 boxes. You are told 2 are rigged to electrocute you if you open them. The third has 1 meeeeeeellion (sp?) quid in it.
    You select a box and before its opened the villain takes one of the two remaining boxes and shows you that it really was rigged to kill. He discards that box and leaves you with your selected box and the last remaining box you didn't select.
    He offers you the chance to change your mind:

Should you:
    1. Change your mind and go with the other box. Cos now its 50/50
    2. Stick with the first box you chose. Cos its still 1 in 3 that you chose the money in the first place.

I'll only accept answers with explanations of *why* its right :):p

I change the box as it increases my options, It's statistics that changes it on probability, goes from like a 33.3% chance to a 66% chance if you switch iirc.

I probably explained it poorly, but it's known as the monty hall problem if people want to see it explained right

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Gamebred wrote: »
    Coin flipping analogy is irrelevant in this discussion absolute pie in the sky,we cant have 10000 fights (flips) needed for your averages so its garbage talk,again its you covering your arse if no matter the result,discrediting my prediction on the fight incase it comes to fruition,

Sorry but mathematically this is a common misconception. The average applies even if you only flipped the coin once. It still applies, the odds are still 50/50.

What you are confusing is the idea of *variance*. Take a regular 6 sided die. Each number has 1 in 6 to come up. Roll 600,000 times and the numbers are going come up very very close to 100,000 times each. Roll it once and the numbers are STILL 1 in 6 to come up (the surface areas of the dice haven't changed after all!) ... but the possibility for variance is much larger. Its why people instinctively say "best out of 3".

I'm not getting into the fight prediction bit of this but just wanted to point out that odds are NOT affected by how many times you run an event, only the variance from the expected outcome is (they align closer to each other the more you run it).

Sorry but mathematically this is a common misconception. The average applies even if you only flipped the coin once. It still applies, the odds are still 50/50.

What you are confusing is the idea of *variance*. Take a regular 6 sided die. Each number has 1 in 6 to come up. Roll 600,000 times and the numbers are going come up very very close to 100,000 times each. Roll it once and the numbers are STILL 1 in 6 to come up (the surface areas of the dice haven't changed after all!) ... but the possibility for variance is much larger. Its why people instinctively say "best out of 3".

I'm not getting into the fight prediction bit of this but just wanted to point out that odds are NOT affected by how many times you run an event, only the variance from the expected outcome is (they align closer to each other the more you run it).
    a coin flip is slightly less than 50/50....also to see something ridiculous check out the coin flip in the packer/cardinals overtime last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

(slightly off topic Mod, apologies but perhaps an interesting topic about betting odds and how to understand them!)

People make some terrible bet and then when their required Ace miraculously turns up on the last card and they say "see, told you I was right to make the bet".

You cant use past results to justify past actions in that way. You can, of course, use past results to justify future belief. This is where the coin analogy breaks down. See, we already KNOW the coin should be 50/50. Physics and common sense tells us that.
    Suppose instead I had a computer generate a random number and 15 times in a row the computer spits out "4". With no further information, if asked to bet on the next number, I'm betting on 4!

Suppose I'm told that the computer is picking between two numbers (say 4 and 5) but with unequal (non-zero) probability? Now I'm not so sure of my bet, but I'm still going with 4. However I cant say for certain it will be 4, and if it comes up 4 I cant claim to always have been 100% right to go with 4.

An evil villain offers you 3 boxes. You are told 2 are rigged to electrocute you if you open them. The third has 1 meeeeeeellion (sp?) quid in it.
    You select a box and before its opened the villain takes one of the two remaining boxes and shows you that it really was rigged to kill. He discards that box and leaves you with your selected box and the last remaining box you didn't select.

Should you:
    2. Stick with the first box you chose. Cos its still 1 in 3 that you chose the money in the first place.

Edit your post :P
    You literally almost answered the Monty Hall Problem in your post, but there's actually a 66.6666*% chance it's behind the other box and a 33.333333*% chance it's behind the first.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I change the box as it increases my options, It's statistics that changes it on probability, goes from like a 33.3% chance to a 66% chance if you switch iirc.

I probably explained it poorly, but it's known as the monty hall problem if people want to see it explained right
    Yaa boooo, you're no fun :p

Yes its counter intuitive but you should switch your choice. And its not 50/50 either, its counter-intuitively, 66%. (so actually I was being mean and misleading everyone with the two options :p... I know, I'm a rotter :) )

Like I said, odds are funny things that people instinctively don't understand.

• Advertisement

Yaa boooo, you're no fun :p

Yes its counter intuitive but you should switch your choice. And its not 50/50 either, its counter-intuitively, 66%.

Like I said, odds are funny things that people instinctively don't understand.

you've a 66% chance of goat, when he removes one goat it completely changes the problem, as probability says you''ve picked a goat first. When he gets one out of the way you change as statistically you've chosen a goat, so the car is the one you've not picked, prob explain it a bit better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

For anyone struggling with the logic of the three boxes question, this will help.

a coin flip is slightly less than 50/50....also to see something ridiculous check out the coin flip in the packer/cardinals overtime last night
    I have personally flipped a coin (across a room no less!) and had it land on its edge. (It freaked everyone the fnck out too!).
    I've played games of poker where I've seen two people be dealt straight flushes. And several other bizarre oddities... There are 7 billion people on the planet, the chances are that 7,000 of them experience 1 in a million events every day :)

I have personally flipped a coin (across a room no less!) and had it land on its edge. (It freaked everyone the fnck out too!).
    I've played games of poker where I've seen two people be dealt straight flushes. And several other bizarre oddities... There are 7 billion people on the planet, the chances are that 7,000 of them experience 1 in a million events every day :)

I got knocked out two weeks in a row by a guy with quad 3's starting with the same hole cards both times :( that stung

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

DrPhilG wrote: »

Should you:

I've not looked at the other answers
    1 - I would take the other box now in exchange. Why? Well because Kevin Spacey told me too in that blackjack film 21 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

It's like waiting on an ace to win a big hand. Only an ace will do. The odds are stacked against you but you push on. You go all in. An ace comes up. I predict these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

This thread has gotten so stupid, the guys over on Sherdog want to buy it.

I'm mostly going by posts that include quotes of people I have blocked but it seems to me that one guy on his own has rattled the MMA forum to its foundations.

Bizarre.

EDIT: Actually (and ironically) now that I think about it, Gamebred, you have done to to this forum what Conor has done to the MMA world. Never thought I'd say it but hats off to you sir. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

John_D80 wrote: »
    This thread has gotten so stupid, the guys over on Sherdog want to buy it.

I'm mostly going by posts that include quotes of people I have blocked but it seems to me that one guy on his own has rattled the MMA forum to its foundations.

Bizarre.

Noboby trolls like he trolls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i like that we have the boss here subconsciously bringing up GOATS. I'm not saying Conor will be greatest of all time but it certainly was a derogititive term that sherdog were using for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Not sure why Gamebred annoys people. He's nowhere near as bad as the types who only come here to put down Conor or the sport in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Saipanne wrote: »
    Not sure why Gamebred annoys people. He's nowhere near as bad as the types who only come here to put down Conor or the sport in general.

i like him
    he's enthusiastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

If we all came on here and agreed with each other all the time this place would be pretty boring. He's not a troll like some people think. Just has extreme opinions! The Conor McGregor of Boards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

dave1982 wrote: »
    Noboby trolls like he trolls
    God I hope it's trolling, then at least after a while everyone can have a laugh at how they were played , the alternative..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gamebred wrote: »
    Coin flipping analogy is irrelevant in this discussion absolute pie in the sky,we cant have 10000 fights (flips) needed for your averages

What do averages have to do with anything.

If you flip a coin once its 50/50. Even if it comes up heads 5 times in a row. The next is still 50/50.

How this applies to fighting, is that each fight has a certain unknown chance of winning. Trying to figure out those chances is basically the key to profit from betting.
    so its garbage talk,again its you covering your arse if no matter the result,discrediting my prediction on the fight incase it comes to fruition,
    I'm not discrediting your prediction. I've made the same prediction (Conor by KO*), How can you still not get that. :confused:
    I'm saying that pretending that it 100% guaranteed isn't ridiculous hyperbole, belongs on other forums, and has no place in inteligent discussion. And also that I know you don't actually believe it.

*I haven't evaluated the round yet, I'll wait to hear which one gets me into the after party for free (hasn't lost yet)

Should you:
    2. Stick with the first box you chose. Cos its still 1 in 3 that you chose the money in the first place.[/I]

It's 50% whether you switch or not. (There's also a case to be made that it's 0% if you switch, 100% if you stay)
    Reason being that the above problem is missing one detail, which means its not a Monty Hall.
    I won't say what it is just yet, and give the guys who said it was 66% a chance to spot what I'm talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Should you:

If you pick a box, that's 33.3... % chance. If you switch it's 66.6... % chance. Because if you pick the correct box originally, then switching it will result in a loss. But if you pick either of the other boxes originally, then switching it will result in a win. So if you always switch, you have a 1 in 3 chance of losing, and a 2 in 3 chance of winning, or 66.6...% So ALWAYS SWITCH!

It's also important to remember that the villain always opens one of the death boxes, and never the one with the money.

I actually saw this done with toy cars on a Horizon about probability years ago.

Chase3 wrote: »
    If you pick a box, that's 33.3... % chance. If you switch it's 66.6... % chance. Because if you pick the correct box originally, then switching it will result in a loss. But if you pick either of the other boxes originally, then switching it will result in a win. So if you always switch, you have a 1 in 3 chance of losing, and a 2 in 3 chance of winning, or 66.6...% So ALWAYS SWITCH!
    Normally I'd agree that this is the best way to explain it.
    But in this case, its not right, as the problem Dev posted has a tiny, but crucial, difference. And was possibly unintentional.
    It's also important to remember that the villain always opens one of the death boxes, and never the one with the money
    ...getting warmer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

@ DeVore & Mellor:

You have a lot to answer for lads. Look at what you've started with yere coin flipping and electric boxes!!!! :-)

Just when you think this thread couldn't get any crazier.

Evil villains? Death Boxes? Monty Hall? FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭waalaa

Evil villain knows what is in the boxes and would rather you die than give you any money, villain wants you to switch, you should keep the box.

Out of curiosity, does Mcgregor bring in sparring/training partners for his camps?

waalaa wrote: »
    Evil villain knows what is in the boxes and would rather you die than give you any money, villain wants you to switch, you should keep the box.

Out of curiosity, does Mcgregor bring in sparring/training partners for his camps?

Yeah, he brought in Ryan Hall (no relation to Monty) during his last camp.

Mellor wrote: »
    Normally I'd agree that this is the best way to explain it.
    But in this case, its not right, as the problem Dev posted has a tiny, but crucial, difference. And was possibly unintentional.

...getting warmer ;)
    I'm out of ideas, I understand that for this to work, the villain needs to know what's inside each box, and have no ill intentions! He always takes away a death box, therefore adding new information to the puzzle. I'm starting to think you have noticed something in the wording that was a typo or oversight or something? Either way, PM me if you don't want to post here, it's wrecking my head, and my boss is sick of me talking about it.

Yeah, he brought in Ryan Hall (no relation to Monty) during his last camp.
    wp
    I'm out of ideas, I understand that for this to work, the villain needs to know what's inside each box, and have no ill intentions! He always takes away a death box, therefore adding new information to the puzzle. I'm starting to think you have noticed something in the wording that was a typo or oversight or something? Either way, PM me if you don't want to post here, it's wrecking my head, and my boss is sick of me talking about it.
    I've bolded the key word. The didn't say anywhere that he was always going to take away a death box. Unlike the game show, where Monty Hall always offers the switch. That key difference changes everything, and enables the villain to influence you away from the car if you chose it originally.

Also, he's an evil villain, he absolutely has ill intentions. ;)

wp?

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    wp

I've bolded the key word. The didn't say anywhere that he was always going to take away a death box. Unlike the game show, where Monty Hall always offers the switch. That key difference changes everything, and enables the villain to influence you away from the car if you chose it originally.

Also, he's an evil villain, he absolutely has ill intentions. ;)
    I believe that was just a mistake in how he worded it, but he did say he would reveal a box showing that it was rigged to blow! So I think it was the OP's attempt to make that point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement