Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Considering he was tweeting about the even around 40 minutes ago I doubt he blew his knee, just people trying to troll.

Have only really watched McGregor and the odd UFC fight when a friend played them in the house. Ill watch tomorrow though. For a newcomer what are the chances of McGregor to lose tomorrow? Bookies seem to have him overwhelming favourite but some people I know who follow the sport said they wouldn't be shocked to see him lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Considering he was tweeting about the even around 40 minutes ago I doubt he blew his knee, just people trying to troll.

Have only really watched McGregor and the odd UFC fight when a friend played them in the house. Ill watch tomorrow though. For a newcomer what are the chances of McGregor to lose tomorrow? Bookies seem to have him overwhelming favourite but some people I know who follow the sport said they wouldn't be shocked to see him lose?

He's as much chance of winning as losing to be honest. I think the bookies have jumped onto the hype train

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Purely because of the hype it'd be a big upset and would derail everything Conor has worked for so far.
    On a skill level, Brandao is not to be taken lightly and losing to him is nothing to be ashamed of.
    Brandao is very dangerous but I think Conor is better than him and will win confidently tomorrow.

Also guys where can ya watch the fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Also guys where can ya watch the fight?

BT sports on sky or 3e

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    BT sports on sky or 3e

Thanks! I'd say the atmosphere will be immense. Great for McGregor to get a chance to fight in the UFC in Dublin, I'd say he will be crazily pumped up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    He's as much chance of winning as losing to be honest. I think the bookies have jumped onto the hype train

That's the thing, bookies don't jump on any hype train. They balance their books based on the betting market demands. It's the gormless punter that has the odds so skewed.

Expect every bit of home town reffing and judging possible. It comes down to cold, hard cash when a promotion can make repeat money on a fighter in a particular city. Bernard Dunne hardly ever fought outside Ireland for that reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Phoenix wrote: »
    Anyone based in Canada know what station will have ?

I'm in the US, luckily a bar near me is showing it. The only other option is to pay $9.99 for streaming: http://www.ufc.com/event/ufn-dublin-ireland#howToWatchModule

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I thought FOX was showing this because Conor was the card he said, he said it loads of times that FOX wanted his fight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

dave1982 wrote: »
    I thought FOX was showing this because Conor was the card he said, he said it loads of times that FOX wanted his fight?

and you believe everything Conor says :rolleyes::rolleyes:

scudzilla wrote: »
    and you believe everything Conor says :rolleyes::rolleyes:

He see's the future so yes:D

He has said that aswell

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

dave1982 wrote: »

Dana said fox wanted this fight but that its a ufc fight pass fight. Im sure that translates to we want loads of people to sign up to fight pass to see it because of the hype around the fight and thats worth more to us than giving fox the rights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I was surprised to see he was only ranked 12th in the weight class. I think on his day Conor could beat any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I was surprised to see he was only ranked 12th in the weight class. I think on his day Conor could beat any of them

12th was a fair ranking coming into the fight.
    He's never fought anyone as good as the guys in the top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Id love to see him against some who is durable and can fight back, Guida i know is fighting soon. But something along the lines of him or miller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Posted this in the fight thread, but probably more on-topic here: I hope Conor gets Poirier next. Look like Dustin hopes so too judging by the tweets he sent out last night. It will be a step up in class for sure for Conor but I think he has the ability to beat Poirier. Certainly he will have the physical advantage, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭runman

I really want to watch this again, can anybody send me a link to the fight. I can't use tv3 player because I'm in another region

The crowd sounded utterly obnoxious with their chants.

McGregor was dominant out there, still wanted to see a longer fight though. Fair play to him, wonder who he'll fight next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

McGregor was dominant out there, still wanted to see a longer fight though. Fair play to him, wonder who he'll fight next.
    Dustin Poirier would be an interesting bout.

Congrats to McGregor, a fantastic win, great fight & what an atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

Thomas D wrote: »

You're very much in the minority so. Pretty much universal approval for the Dublin crowd. Most considering the best crowd ever to be fair

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

osl wrote: »
    You're very much in the minority so. Pretty much universal approval for the Dublin crowd. Most considering the best crowd ever to be fair
    Image it was an American crowd, booing non Americans, crowd filles with American flags, dropping "aren't we Americans great" and singing star spangled banner constantly! Would you find that obnoxious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

gallag wrote: »
    Image it was an American crowd, booing non Americans, crowd filles with American flags, dropping "aren't we Americans great" and singing star spangled banner constantly! Would you find that obnoxious?

If it was a card full of American fighters v foreign fighters then yes I would expect them to be cheering on the home team

There was not only boos for all the non irish as you put it.

There was pretty loud cheers for one of them in fact

The crowd was electric tbh, will do well to help grow the coverage of the sport here and bring more events here.

You were upset by the ole ole ole? Wouldnt think you would be fond of the USA USA USA either then :)

I dont like the ole ole but thats a different story, just found the crowd to be a home crowd, which they were, the Irish fighters won too and the big hype of the night got the business done, the crowd were going to be boisterous all things considered, this was the first time too!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

It was only a few who booed. Certainly nowhere to extent of the booing that goes on at events in the states. I have no problem with flags, not sure why anyone would. The "aren't we (whatever nationality we are) great" merchants are always annoying. Singing and chanting is always to be encouraged at sporting events. Makes it feel like an event. There is a distinct difference between the whole crowd singing their own national anthem and them singing the fields of athenry.

What I loved was the noise and atmosphere from the very first prelim. I've never heard an mma crowd like it, and by all accounts no one has. There are always going to be gob****es in every crowd, but overall the people there added a huge amount to the event, even for those watching on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Thomas D wrote: »

Ah lighten up ya dour git.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Brandao got a bit of booing and a TINY bit for Pickett. So where was the booing for Sampo? Cummings? King? Kotani? Harris? McCall? Krylov? Donovan? Latifi? Dempsey? Seeing as the non Irish fighters got booed...

Atmosphere was electric, some people would find anything to complain about.

I was starting to lose a bit of interest in MMA too many cards watered down so UFC could get more air time on FOX and put on their own PPV's.There was a time if they lost the main event it would not affect the card because there was so many other great fights on the card.

I have to admit Conor is a breath of fresh air in MMA.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Ah lighten up ya dour git.

Whomp there it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I thought the booing was crap, every guy up against an Irish fighter/Gunni and Brad Pickett got booed. Some people can stand it but the constant booing wrecks my head. The atmosphere seemed immense though, I'd say it would have been incredible to be at.

Poirier next seems the obvious shout then I guess? I don't know a whole lot about him but he got rocked early on against Akira and Brandao, although he finished them off himself not long after. If Brandao and Akira Corassani (!!!) can give him some trouble standing up I reckon Conor would have a very good chance on the feet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement