Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

I was looking at him in the conference recently and on twitter yesterday looking quite muscular. Then I considered him saying he likes the sound of the 170 belt.
    gotta love the enthusiasm but a huge stretch not having fought at 155 yet (though I believe he can actually beat RDA if he stays on the feet and keeps his hips out of arms reach).

on the 170 thing, it gave pause for thought. he'd actually look heavier and hit harder than carlos condit I think, who though tall looks quite lean at welter.
    so point being, in an ideal world, if he beats RDA, 170 may actually be something he could really consider. though his natural weight is 175ish id say, and them lads walk round up to 200 in some cases.

one day at a time I think but by jasus if he beats RDA what a fookin amazing feat in itself! I'd say yes, limitied edition or not, stick is head on maybe 1000 collector coins for the crack!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

He weighs around 81kg walking around. For lightweight its still an 11kg drop to make lightweight , and a 4kg drop to welterweight.

He would be a small Welterweight in the UFC but he could always pack on more muscle and cut down, he is 81kg not trying to bulk.

I am feeling more and more the jump between light weight and welterweight is too much and would almost like a weight division in between at 73 or 74kg.

Although at the same time i dont want the sport diluted with loads more divisions and champions. Its a tough one, but would open the doors for more superfights between champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Not in a million years is Conor making any significant impact on the WW division.

Not in a million years is Conor making any significant impact on the WW division.

Can I ask why you are so definitely sure?

Can I ask why you are so definitely sure?

Size difference mainly, even if he put on weight those guys are far bigger and stronger. Jonny Hendricks for example is the same height as him, look at how big he is. He gets picked up and tossed on his head. I hope it's just **** talk because it wouldn't end well.

• Advertisement

Size difference mainly, even if he put on weight those guys are far bigger and stronger. Jonny Hendricks for example is the same height as him, look at how big he is. He gets picked up and tossed on his head. I hope it's just **** talk because it wouldn't end well.

Hendricks can barely make WW and I don't think will remain in that division.

GSP was not a big WW and was the long reigning champion. Size is not everything, and someone with superior skill can beat a bigger opponent. Size is a leveller but really depends on how good the bigger person is to begin with.

According to the below the average height of a WW is 5ft 9.5inches , Conor is 5ft 9. Reach is 73.5 and Conor has around 72 inch reach. So its not like he would be completely dwarfed in the height and reach department on average. But yes he would be on the smaller side.

http://fightnomics.com/category/blog/average-ufc-fighter-size-and-reach/

GSP absolutely was a big WW - 5'10, much more muscular and powerful than Conor and walked around at about 190-200 apparently. He regularly overpowered his opponents.

It's a silly suggestion, Conor isn't BJ Penn who had elite takedown defence and BJJ to counteract the big wrestlers. And even if that BJ stepped into the current WW division he'd do nothing. I doubt any LWs could move up and make the top 10 at WW, definitely not the top 5.

GSP absolutely was a big WW - 5'10, much more muscular and powerful than Conor and walked around at about 190-200 apparently. He regularly overpowered his opponents.

GSP did get bigger during his tenure as champion he was worried about other top welterweights like Thiago Alves and Hendricks cutting from over 200+ .

But this level of cutting took a lot away from above two fighters.

GSP used fantastic technique to control his opponents and smother them. I dont think it was a brute use of size and power that got him to where he did.

I do think Conor going for the WW belt is a stretch, but to say its completely not possible is a bit extreme. If Matt Serra can win the WW belt Conor is certainly in with more than a decent shot.

you say that and I knee jerk and think **** yes, Hendrix is a whopper and there's a few really good takedown guys in that division.
    but with skill that can be offset, look at the likes of Rory McDonnell and condit. I have them as excellent fighters and they're not the meatiest of guys to be honest. both have fought lads who walk round heavy and hit hard, so time would tell.

my honest opinion is stick to 155 if he wins, he could actually hold that belt I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Any talk of fighting for a WW title now is ridiculous on his part. Get past RDA first. It's also highly disrespectful to Frankie Edgar who he really should have to defend against before getting a title shot at WW.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

maximoose wrote: »
    apart from spelling McGregor wrong :pac:

How do you put so much effort into creating that but manage to spell his name wrong?

GSP did get bigger during his tenure as champion he was worried about other top welterweights like Thiago Alves and Hendricks cutting from over 200+ .

But this level of cutting took a lot away from above two fighters.

GSP used fantastic technique to control his opponents and smother them. I dont think it was a brute use of size and power that got him to where he did.

I do think Conor going for the WW belt is a stretch, but to say its completely not possible is a bit extreme. If Matt Serra can win the WW belt Conor is certainly in with more than a decent shot.

Matt Serra is an anomoly, a 1/10000000 type thing, we can't use that as an example for future trends. GSP had great technique but he was a powerhouse, technique alone won't make you the best MMA wrestler the UFC has ever seen. Can't believe we're comparing the two.

My point really is that you were saying its basically impossible "not in a million years" for Conor to make any impact on the WW division.

I am just saying hypothetically it is not. If you look at it rationally.

rusty cole wrote: »
    you say that and I knee jerk and think **** yes, Hendrix is a whopper and there's a few really good takedown guys in that division.
    but with skill that can be offset, look at the likes of Rory McDonnell and condit. I have them as excellent fighters and they're not the meatiest of guys to be honest. both have fought lads who walk round heavy and hit hard, so time would tell.

my honest opinion is stick to 155 if he wins, he could actually hold that belt I feel.

Rory and Condit are still much bigger than Conor, 6' and 6'2 respectively, Rory is much more muscular. Rory has said he walks around at about 200 lbs out of camp on JRE, I'd imagine most top WWs do tbh and they probably enter the cage at about 190. I'd put good money on Conor getting his ass kicked at WW, but I don't think he'll actually go up. Sounds harsh but I think most LWs would have little to no impact with the elite WWs.

My point really is that you were saying its basically impossible "not in a million years" for Conor to make any impact on the WW division.

I am just saying hypothetically it is not. If you look at it rationally.

Well, hypothetically I could fill in and fight Stipe Miocic at UFC 196. "Not in a million years" is a made up term people use to say that something is extremely unlikely.

Well, hypothetically I could fill in and fight Stipe Miocic at UFC 196. "Not in a million years" is a made up term people use to say that something is extremely unlikely.

That is not really like for like now is it?

I don't know your record but I am guessing you are a little while away from being signed by the UFC.

If/when Conor bets RDA there is a decent chance a WW title fight could be on the cards. That actually has a decent chance of happening.

I don't know your record but I am guessing you are a little while away from being signed by the UFC.

If/when Conor bets RDA there is a decent chance a WW title fight could be on the cards. That actually has a decent chance of happening.

Never said he wouldn't fight for the WW title, I said he hasn't a hope of making an impact on the elite of the WW division. BTW, I also don't think he'll fight for the WW title, but that's more likely than him actually beating Lawler. Albeit very slightly more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

no, there is not

no, there is not

If Conor gets the LW title you don't think Dana would let him fight for the WW title?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

If Conor gets the LW title you don't think Dana would let him fight for the WW title?

I don't think JK would let him fight world elite athletes at a weight he has never been

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

I don't think JK would let him fight world elite athletes at a weight he has never been

JK wrote an article lately stating that he can see Conor going for the WW title

I am pretty sure he would. Conor would spar guys bigger than him in the gym all the time.

Granted not the worlds elite but enough to get a good sense of what he is capable of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

I am pretty sure he would. Conor would spar guys bigger than him in the gym all the time.

Granted not the worlds elite but enough to get a good sense of what he is capable of.

Didn't Fields compete at LH & Pendred at MW during TUF? They're (were? for Pendred) long time training partners to McGregor

*I'm sorry for attempting to bring some factual information into this crazy thread* :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Every time Conor sets a new goal or a new opponent, the same dopes come on saying he hasn't a hope.. When will ye learn.. He will be a three weight world champion. Conor said it, kavanagh said it and they tend to know more than anyone and are always proved right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If Conor said it then it has to be 100% true. He is also a drug lord and a God.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Even I find this funny :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I think they should have given Conor the shot against Werdum when Velasquez pulled out..... :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Every time Conor sets a new goal or a new opponent, the same dopes come on saying he hasn't a hope.. When will ye learn.. He will be a three weight world champion. Conor said it, kavanagh said it and they tend to know more than anyone and are always proved right
    Does it bother you that McGregor trains with russian immigrant Lobov actually? Wouldn't a UKIP style party want him out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I watched the presser when he said something along the lines of "You know, I'm starting to like the look of that 170 title too"... But has he actually outright claimed he will be a 3 weight champ?
    I think if he wins the 155 (and I think he will) he will vacate the featherweight title a few weeks later and not defend it.
    I really can't see him allowed to hold 2 titles while being allowed to go for a third... But now as I'm saying it, I realise he could still mean going for a 3rd weight title while not necessarily holding them concurrently.
    I still think WW is a bit of a stretch but I'd like to be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Kavanagh ain't always proved right! FS sure he told us all the fight announcement would be during some American football ****e the other week and it wasn't. Apparently there was a huge surge into A&E that night with self harming injuries :D
    I watched the presser when he said something along the lines of "You know, I'm starting to like the look of that 170 title too"... But has he actually outright claimed he will be a 3 weight champ?
    I think if he wins the 155 (and I think he will) he will vacate the featherweight title a few weeks later and not defend it.
    I really can't see him allowed to hold 2 titles while being allowed to go for a third... But now as I'm saying it, I realise he could still mean going for a 3rd weight title while not necessarily holding them concurrently.
    I still think WW is a bit of a stretch but I'd like to be wrong.

I don't think anyone has said he would go up to WW straight away or even mentioned any time scale. The way I've read & interpreted anything I've heard is they're going to move up sometime. IMO he's got at least 1 more fight at FW(Frankie or Aldo rematch,maybe both) and if he wins LW at least 3/4/5 potential fights there too. I don't think WW is realistically in their thinking for at least 18 months - 2 years

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement