Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

I watched the presser when he said something along the lines of "You know, I'm starting to like the look of that 170 title too"... But has he actually outright claimed he will be a 3 weight champ? I think if he wins the 155 (and I think he will) he will vacate the featherweight title a few weeks later and not defend it. I really can't see him allowed to hold 2 titles while being allowed to go for a third... But now as I'm saying it, I realise he could still mean going for a 3rd weight title while not necessarily holding them concurrently. I still think WW is a bit of a stretch but I'd like to be wrong.

I also saw an interview with Kanangah somewhere an he said he thinks Conor could win WW. I do believe he won't fight at FW again, he just wants to hold the two belts and then he will relinquish the FW, Aldo will fight Edgar for it.. I think he will win on March 5, maybe defend it once or twice then move up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

It's all fun and games until he meets chael for the MW belt

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Really wish people would hold their horses here and stop talking about WW. He hasn't even fought at LW in the UFC yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Yes its a bit pre-emptive but just interesting to hear peoples thoughts on the subject.

Yes its a bit pre-emptive but just interesting to hear peoples thoughts on the subject.

A lot of the thoughts though are "He will be because he said so. And Conor's always right".

This forum used to have, you know, actual discussion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SteM

ComfortKid wrote: »
    I also saw an interview with Kanangah somewhere an he said he thinks Conor could win WW. I do believe he won't fight at FW again, he just wants to hold the two belts and then he will relinquish the FW, Aldo will fight Edgar for it.. I think he will win on March 5, maybe defend it once or twice then move up again.

My feeling is that he'll defend against Edgar before leaving the division. He can claim to have cleared out the division if he beats Frankie and that might appeal to his ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I think he's too big for FW tbh. Even at the face off with RDA he looked big so I think WW is a option. A win at LW I can see him drop FW belt and focus on WW. I think Lawler be good fight for him cause Lawler will stand in front of him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

MrStuffins wrote: »
    A lot of the thoughts though are "He will be because he said so. And Conor's always right".

So talking about words that actually came from the man's mouth is now not allowed? Should everyone resort to discussing idle gossip and rumours?

Personally I think he will return to FW to fight Frankie and win or lose he will move to LW. He needs to spend at least 18 months ( as another poster said ) and have 4 or 5 fights at LW before even thinking of moving to WW.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    So talking about words that actually came from the man's mouth is now not allowed? Should everyone resort to discussing idle gossip and rumours?

Personally I think he will return to FW to fight Frankie and win or lose he will move to LW. He needs to spend at least 18 months ( as another poster said ) and have 4 or 5 fights at LW before even thinking of moving to WW.

No. That's not what I said. What i'm saying is this:

If you say Conor will be WW champion and you are asked why you think this, saying "Because Conor said so" is not, in my opinion, a reasoned response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

If you say Conor will be WW champion and you are asked why you think this, saying "Because Conor said so" is not, in my opinion, a reasoned response.

I know what you mean, people just throwing out an opinion without giving at least the slightest bit of insight into why they're saying that. Same for posters of the opposite opinion too of course, ie.(I don't remember who said this but its not meant to offend lol) "He wont win WW title because he never fought at WW before" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Im not going back through the posts, but I'm not sure if anyone actually said they believe he will win the WW title based on the fact that McGregor said he would do it. If someone said that we'll then they are clearly wrong. He only said he liked the look of that WW belt too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I was trying to back up my point with reasoning, and pry out responses from "it wont happen" responses. Not always easy to start a discussion on this forum.

on the other hand "cause Conor said so" is equally a poor response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

It is kind of annoying. You have so many people just parodying Conor - he's stuck by his word so far, too much power, mindgames, that left hand! He's unbeatable.

I wish people could watch him fight and form their own opinions.

I wish people could watch him fight and form their own opinions.

Maybe our own opinions are the same as Conors? No one can handle the mind games, the left hand ect.

Spot the difference competition :D Prizes TBC
    Devastator wrote: »
    He's got the whole game in his hands lol This is actually a good looking poster

CZsmLwPWwAAgQ0q.jpg:large

CZvbX2tWkAAEwWR.jpg:large

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Someone needs to put a reebok logo on the botched poster!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Lads what am I missing in them posters?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

ASOT wrote: »
    See post 7771

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

McGregors name is spelled incorrectly in the first...

ASOT wrote: »

Its not what you are missing, its what 1 of the posters is missing ;)

Had to post this, I've been laughing for 5 minutes at how disgracefully pitiful this twitter post is :D This fella is a journalist and is advising RDA on how to retaliate and get into McGregor's head :eek::D Conor you bad boy, living in sin, shame on you!

https://twitter.com/humbertoguida/status/692436606670675968

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

'He's too small for 170' ... the same people saying that would have been the same people bigging up Aldo/Mendes to be beat him, they're the equivalent size difference between him and welterweight....and he wouldn't have a hope they say

sonofenoch wrote: »
    'He's too small for 170' ... the same people saying that would have been the same people bigging up Aldo/Mendes to be beat him, they're the equivalent size difference between him and welterweight....and he wouldn't have a hope they say

No, no they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

sonofenoch wrote: »

..and the other camp think he'd KO werdum. The internet, it's great.

No, no they're not.

Conor would be an inch or two shorter in height and reach than the average WW fighter.

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Conor would be an inch or two shorter in height and reach than the average WW fighter.

If we're going by height and reach then Paddy Holohan would do a bomb at lightweight. The WWs are much bigger, stronger and more powerful than Conor.

What's with the obsession over height and reach, is it because Conor was going on about that too? They're given weight classes for a reason, otherwise Mark Hunt would be fighting Paddy Holohan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

No, no they're not.

McGregor has 2/3" or more height advantage than featherweights.....being 5'9 he'd fight 6 footers+ at WW, that's the equivalent......I won't mention the fact he has a light heavyweights reach

If we're going by height and reach then Paddy Holohan would do a bomb at lightweight. The WWs are much bigger, stronger and more powerful than Conor.

Weight can be put on or dropped, height and reach can't.. Power ain't everything! Chad Mendes was much more powerful than Conor, that went well for him.

Wow this thread seemed to get somewhere back towards, dare I say it, sensible there for a few posts......

And-Its-Gone..jpg

• Advertisement

grrrrrrr double posts are annoying me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement