Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Is it just me or did RDA look a bit vulnerable for free head kicks while he was swinging for Petis ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Do away with weight classes and set the divisions by height :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

JJayoo wrote: »
    Do away with weight classes and set the divisions by height :)

Going by discussion here lately every other weight class should vacate and give their belts to Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

sonofenoch wrote: »
    McGregor has 2/3" or more height advantage than featherweights.....being 5'9 he'd fight 6 footers+ at WW, that's the equivalent......I won't mention the fact he has a light heavyweights reach

Forgot to mention that Hendricks, Lawler etc. will be significantly heavier than him, while Conor would have been around the same weight as Mendes and definitely Aldo.

At the end of the day they pair fighters by weight for a good reason, not height or reach. It's because weight is the most significant indicator of performance. A guy who's top 30 at middleweight would beat a lightweight contender even if the lighter man is far more skillfull. I'll stop trying to tell that to the fanboys though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I actually dont think he'd beat damian maia never mind any of the elite 170 fighters,if he could take gunnar down and maul him i'd expect him to do the same to Conor,im saying this as a McGoat fanboy of the highest degree.

Aldo is very vocal tonight on social media demanding a rematch with Conor tagging him dana and lorenzo,stupid time to be doing this when Conor has a fight lined up very soon wont be getting a rematch for a while if ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »

Ah I wouldnt rate him in the top 4 or 5 tbh I have him somewhere between 5-10 likes of lawler condit macdonald woodley all ahead of him surely do you not think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

ahahaha I think James DeGale has been sniffing out of the same gluebag as some of the people on here :D According to DeGale, Gennady Golovkin is only destroying every opponent put in front of him because he's fighting in a light weight class as soon as he moves up he will be found out :eek::D Ok James, 1 cert is that it will definitely not be you to find him out!

The video is funny in parts with a drunk Cheech Martin soundalike slabbering at DeGale and he says at the end he should fight RR and she would kick his ass lol

On his day Maia could beat anyone I think. He has intergrated BJJ and wrestling like no other fighter in the UFC currently. He also has the best GNP out of any of the the elite BJJ guys. He has to be close to a title fight at this stage, he has been overlooked a good bit by top brass.

Lukker- wrote: »
    On his day Maia could beat anyone I think. He has intergrated BJJ and wrestling like no other fighter in the UFC currently. He also has the best GNP out of any of the the elite BJJ guys. He has to be close to a title fight at this stage, he has been overlooked a good bit by top brass.

The Rory fight was the blue print on how to beat him,sprawl sprawl and sprawl again,he mounted him in the first then didnt land one single takedown for 3 rds think MacDonald stuffed about 18 shots,Hes going to strangle Matt Brown soon to be fair to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

A guy with striking and punching power like Conor will have a chance against anyone, mostly if they stand with him, he could win every almost belt with the right match making (plenty of glass jaws at HW :P )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

A guy with striking and punching power like Conor will have a chance against anyone, mostly if they stand with him, he could win every almost belt with the right match making (plenty of glass jaws at HW :P )

He'd be sat on and nuggied to death in about 90 seconds flat by anyone in the top 15 in lhw or hw. Don't be ridiculous.

He'd have a chance against some middle weights if he bulked up, but the top ten would probably eat him up.
    He'd break the top ten at welterweight but struggle against the Maias, Woodleys, Big Rigs and other top tier fighters at WW.

Lightweight is his perfect weight class, hes not small, but he's not huge so his cut is minimal, his power and speed give him an edge.

That diminishs significantly against the big boys in the other four divisions.
    An overhand right from Lawlor or Hendrix would end his world if it landed.

Gamebred wrote: »
    The Rory fight was the blue print on how to beat him,sprawl sprawl and sprawl again,he mounted him in the first then didnt land one single takedown for 3 rds think MacDonald stuffed about 18 shots,Hes going to strangle Matt Brown soon to be fair to him.

Rory McDonald has amazing TDD though, probably one of the best in the UFC. Most likely a future WW champ too, in my eyes one of the most complete fighters in the UFC.

Game plan worked for Rory but not many could execute that plan so well IMO.

That said I think Maia probably missed the boat, he should have moved down to WW much sooner.

He'd be sat on and nuggied to death in about 90 seconds flat by anyone in the top 15 in lhw or hw. Don't be ridiculous.

He'd have a chance against some middle weights if he bulked up, but the top ten would probably eat him up.
    He'd break the top ten at welterweight but struggle against the Maias, Woodleys, Big Rigs and other top tier fighters at WW.

Lightweight is his perfect weight class, hes not small, but he's not huge so his cut is minimal, his power and speed give him an edge.

That diminishs significantly against the big boys in the other four divisions.
    An overhand right from Lawlor or Hendrix would end his world if it landed.
    The matchmaking would be everything of course. I don't think he could have a run at anything other than LW, but could he knock out the right people, sure. I'm far from a fan of the guy and think he's only going up so quickly to duck Edgar but I like his striking and power and I think he'll always have a puncher's chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

The matchmaking would be everything of course. I don't think he could have a run at anything other than LW, but could he knock out the right people, sure. I'm far from a fan of the guy and think he's only going up so quickly to duck Edgar but I like his striking and power and I think he'll always have a puncher's chance

I can't take what you say seriously if you honestly believe Conor's move up to Lightweight is a result of avoiding Frankie... cop the fook on!

He's going up so quickly so he can make history.

There are far scarier people at LW then Frankie Edgar. Much worse match ups too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Conor McGregor scared of Frankie Edgar, and punchers chance? Are you for real

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Conor McGregor scared of Frankie Edgar, and punchers chance? Are you for real
    Listen to his most recent quotes about a 'begging' Frankie Edgar, he knows he wont be fighting him so he's feeling big enough to run his mouth now whereas before he wouldn't risk saying anything, he'd talk trash about everyone else but always had very little to say about Edgar
    Frankie has a little bit of desperation about him or something,” McGregor said at a recent UFC 196 media event. “He went 0-2 at lightweight, got the chance to fight for the featherweight title and got the head slapped off him. Now he’s running around begging. It has a stink of desperation off of it, so I’m just going to let him sit for a while.”

Lukker- wrote: »
    He's going up so quickly so he can make history.

There are far scarier people at LW then Frankie Edgar. Much worse match ups too.
    A loss in a LW title fight while he's still technically a FW wont do much damage, a loss to Edgar would dispel a lot of the hype and money, it makes financial sense, but it's still ducking

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He weighs around 81kg walking around. For lightweight its still an 11kg drop to make lightweight , and a 4kg drop to welterweight.

He would be a small Welterweight in the UFC but he could always pack on more muscle and cut down, he is 81kg not trying to bulk.

Gunni must be similar sized at WW.
    I know of at least one othe WW fighter who cuts from low 80's to make the weight. Or rather, he did at the start of his UFC career.
    I was trying to back up my point with reasoning, and pry out responses from "it wont happen" responses. Not always easy to start a discussion on this forum.

There's no chance he goes straight into a WW shot. But if he beats RDA, goes back and beats Frankie. Then perma-moves to 155. Defends a few times, and puts on a bit of mass over a long period. Then I could see an mid-80's Conor appearing at WW. But not for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

This thread is entering silly season again. Conor is not afraid of Frankie jesus......

Dont know why anybody is biting to that bait.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I know it's great to have a burst of posters in here over the last 2 years but fúck me some of the shíte being posted is unreal. Almost prefer to when Conor wasn't in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I know it's great to have a burst of posters in here over the last 2 years but fúck me some of the shíte being posted is unreal. Almost prefer to when Conor wasn't in the UFC.

Were you born with UFC knowledge or were you also new to the sport at one time.......you should be thankful to McGregor for bringing the interest to the masses and no longer a niche market akin to gypsy bare knuckle boxing....Conor McGregor changed all our bum lives :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Mellor wrote: »
    Gunni must be similar sized at WW.

Gunni seems to look a good bit bigger than Conor.
    I've walked past both/sat near ish to them and there is a noticeable difference size wise from what I could see

Ferguson vs Khabib is a 5 round title eliminator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Gunnar looks a little bigger than Conor, and he's clearly too small for the WW division (the top 15 anyway).

That people are actually discussing Conor fighting guys Middleweight and upwards... Lord :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement