Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Gunni seems to look a good bit bigger than Conor.
    I've walked past both/sat near ish to them and there is a noticeable difference size wise from what I could see

I have rolled with both of them. Gunnar is bigger, but not by big amount. Also Conor would be trying to keep his weight down most of the time while Gunnar does not really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I have rolled with both of them. Gunnar is bigger, but not by big amount. Also Conor would be trying to keep his weight down most of the time while Gunnar does not really.

I think he should cut down to 155 personally.

Devastator wrote: »
    Didn't Fields compete at LH & Pendred at MW during TUF? They're (were? for Pendred) long time training partners to McGregor

*I'm sorry for attempting to bring some factual information into this crazy thread* :D

speaking of which I see pendred in the paper today "talking" to Hollywood about movie rolls. "I feel that action is the best way to break in". Is that to say, you'd like to cut your teeth breaking bones cathal and then break hearts in the "best Performance for an actor in a motion picture".. Laughable this lad is. I have an interview from last year in Fighters magazine where he states he's world class and wont settle until he's champ and beats Weidman, yes that's the goal".
    couldn't take being battered once, left his heart in the ring!!

McGregor is just a freak in every respect, skill, timing, heart, the whole package .I believe lightning wont strike twice for a long time...

anyone see the open letter from Aldo to the UFC???? serious stuff now, DANA white has a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Ah yeh I realise Conor would be keeping the weight down, that was my point, Gunnar is a bit bigger than him.
    I think it looks more because Conor is so lean, Gunnar just looks... Well denser for lack of a better word ha.

I remember someone saying he didn't really cut much weight to make WW.
    He could easily make LW I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

... Double post

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Were you born with UFC knowledge or were you also new to the sport at one time.......you should be thankful to McGregor for bringing the interest to the masses and no longer a niche market akin to gypsy bare knuckle boxing....Conor McGregor changed all our bum lives :D

I'm all on board for new members but as said above, at least have a discussion instead of parroting some shít from Joe.ie about him winning every belt because John Kavanagh said so

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

rusty cole wrote: »
    anyone see the open letter from Aldo to the UFC???? serious stuff now, DANA white has a problem.

Aldo is far from a problem for Dana/UFC.

Aldo was a borderline nightmare for the UFC to deal with as champ (minimal draw, put negligible effort to improve his marketability, rarely fought, dropped out of fights over and over again).

He is pretty much the opposite of McGregor and this is why his demands will mean little to nothing and he will only get his way if it suits the company, and rightfully so.

An unhappy Conor is a problem for Dana, an unhappy Aldo is barely a blip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

rusty cole wrote: »
    speaking of which I see pendred in the paper today "talking" to Hollywood about movie rolls. "I feel that action is the best way to break in". Is that to say, you'd like to cut your teeth breaking bones cathal and then break hearts in the "best Performance for an actor in a motion picture".. Laughable this lad is. I have an interview from last year in Fighters magazine where he states he's world class and wont settle until he's champ and beats Weidman, yes that's the goal".
    couldn't take being battered once, left his heart in the ring!!

I'm not sure what relevance him wanting to act has to do with this thread or why you've quoted me :confused: I brought up Pendred & Fields in response to the discussion regarding McGregor training(or not) with higher weight classes.

I didn't enjoy watching his fights but fair play to him for having the balls to actually get into the octagon and fight, I wouldn't do it so I've respect for him. Good luck to him. I always thought he seemed like a decent lad when hearing him interviewed,etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I'm not sure what relevance him wanting to act has to do with this thread or why you've quoted me :confused: I brought up Pendred & Fields in response to the discussion regarding McGregor training(or not) with higher weight classes.

I didn't enjoy watching his fights but fair play to him for having the balls to actually get into the octagon and fight, I wouldn't do it so I've respect for him. Good luck to him. I always thought he seemed like a decent lad when hearing him interviewed,etc

We are all best off ignoring pathetic posts like the one from Rusty Cole. Personally I've no idea what the purpose for it was, but I understand that unfortunately some people get their kicks out of putting others down. Jealousy would be my guess.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    We are all best off ignoring pathetic posts like the one from Rusty Cole. Personally I've no idea what the purpose for it was, but I understand that unfortunately some people get their kicks out of putting others down. Jealousy would be my guess.

I only replied because I was quoted. This thread is absolute nonsense. I only found out about the "add to ignore list" for users but I wish I could add this whole thread to an ignore list so I wouldn't be dragged into having a read any of it.

Anyway back on topic.....
    12573706_1273380209342224_3188976094603055202_n.jpg?oh=47cb7a16be5a6eeabec8e7d1fa0373bf&oe=5724F949

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I only replied because I was quoted. This thread is absolute nonsense. I only found out about the "add to ignore list" for users but I wish I could add this whole thread to an ignore list so I wouldn't be dragged into having a read any of it.

Anyway back on topic.....
    12573706_1273380209342224_3188976094603055202_n.jpg?oh=47cb7a16be5a6eeabec8e7d1fa0373bf&oe=5724F949

You're like myself. Complain about the state of this thread but yet we keep coming back...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Best just not to take it too seriously and get a bit of a laugh out of it, it's a brave new world here, and there's no going back anymore.

The Brock and Sonnen threads were just as bad/good anyway, only much shorter

yeah but there's having balls to get in and then declaring the current champ is not in your pedigree!! I'll bring the article in tomorrow if you want.
    delusions of grandeur full stop!

have a nice evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Aldo got knocked the **** out he needs to stop whining like a little girl.

Simple as.

Nunes v Shevchenko added to the card. Shevchenko looked good on short notice last time out.

Have 2 spare 197 tix for sec 220 at cost price if anyones interested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Its not 197 anymore, its actually 196 since 196 is not PPV anymore they changed it to Fight Night..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Nunes v Shevchenko added to the card. Shevchenko looked good on short notice last time out.

Andrey?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

People need to stop worrying about strength and weight. Bj penn foughg lyoyo machida at open weight and lyoto only won by decision and not a dominating one. But being dont under estimate an athletes skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

empacher wrote: »
    People need to stop worrying about strength and weight. Bj penn foughg lyoyo machida at open weight and lyoto only won by decision and not a dominating one. But being dont under estimate an athletes skill.

Completely different era, other than the HW division, which is a bit of a joke, the UFC is full of elite athletes in prime condition. If Conor/RDA/Khabib took on Jones/Gus/Cormier it'd be a bloodbath. There's a reason weight classes exist.

With all that said, Mighty Mouse would still beat anyone on the Irish rugby team in an MMA fight. Or any fight for that matter. Skill will always be more important than size. It's when the gap between the skills becomes small that size plays a major part and thus why we have weight classes. Conor is a perfect size for LW in my opinion. Any higher and he's fighting fellas that are naturally much bigger than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I think Nunes wins handily enough tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Gunni seems to look a good bit bigger than Conor.
    I've walked past both/sat near ish to them and there is a noticeable difference size wise from what I could see

In the past yeah, but I was going off the post that said Conor was 81kg now. That's close to 180lbs, I don't think Gunni is cutting much more than that, if it is it's not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Completely different era, other than the HW division, which is a bit of a joke, the UFC is full of elite athletes in prime condition. If Conor/RDA/Khabib took on Jones/Gus/Cormier it'd be a bloodbath. There's a reason weight classes exist.

With all that said, Mighty Mouse would still beat anyone on the Irish rugby team in an MMA fight. Or any fight for that matter. Skill will always be more important than size. It's when the gap between the skills becomes small that size plays a major part and thus why we have weight classes. Conor is a perfect size for LW in my opinion. Any higher and he's fighting fellas that are naturally much bigger than him.

I'd give Conor a fighting chance against lawler or condit. But someone like Hendricks would maul him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

With all that said, Mighty Mouse would still beat anyone on the Irish rugby team in an MMA fight. Or any fight for that matter..

That just isn't true, Sean o brien would farmer fist mighty mouse to death. How would mighty mouse beat him? Tackle him to the ground?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

sxt wrote: »
    That just isn't true, Sean o brien would farmer fist mighty mouse to death. How would mighty mouse beat him? Tackle him to the ground?

no.gif

Here we go 6 pages of flyweight v 120kg untrained rugby player zzzzzz

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

sxt wrote: »
    scale accordingly :P

tumblr_inline_nqf15xYXRf1qa6wh9_500.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

scale accordingly :P

tumblr_inline_nqf15xYXRf1qa6wh9_500.png

And Sean O'Brien would carry him like that all the way back to the Aviva and drop him under the posts for a try. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Gamebred wrote: »
    no.gif

Here we go 6 pages of flyweight v 120kg untrained rugby player zzzzzz

Up there with McG v the Mountain again. Ah jesus I love this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Up there with McG v the Mountain again. Ah jesus I love this place.

He's not afraid of the mountain he's afraid of Frankie Edgar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

There have been 8 lightweight champions in UFC history. (I apologise in advance for the bogey tabs) Height and Reach:

Jens Pulver 5 ft 7 (170cm) & 67 in (170cm)
    Sean Sherk 5 ft 6 (168cm) & 67 in (170cm)
    BJ Penn 5 ft 9 (175cm) & 70 in (178cm)
    Frankie Edgar 5 ft 6 (168cm) & 68 in (168cm)
    Benson Henderson 5 ft 9 (175cm) & 70 in (178cm)
    Anthony Pettis 5 ft 10 (178cm) & 72 in(183cm)
    Rafael Dos Anjos 5 ft 8 (173cm) & 70 in (178cm)

The tallest lightweight champ there ever was is Pettis at 5 ft 10.
    The average fighter is 172 cm, or 5 ft 8.
    The average reach is 69 inches, or 175 cm.

McGregor is 3 cms above the average height and would be joint second tallest champion. His reach is superior to all of them at 74 inches, and massively so.

Personally I think this is his optimum weight. The cut won't be as much and he'll be faster and more powerful in the ring. If the next weight wasn't 170 and there was something in between, even 165, he could probably fight at that too. The sparse weight divisions make it tough for him to fight in 3 different ones. Using boxing weight classes, which I'm not advocating just pointing out, would see him fight at 4 weight classes and not even touch 170 (147, 154, 160 & 168)

He's done at FW too. One more fight maximum - Edgar. And I'd say he has his eyes set on bigger targets too. I believe that he believes that he can win the 170 belt.

• Advertisement

BOHtox wrote: »
    The sparse weight divisions make it tough for him to fight in 3 different ones. Using boxing weight classes, which I'm not advocating just pointing out, would see him fight at 4 weight classes and not even touch 170 (147, 154, 160 & 168)

Good post overall but I don't buy this part. I've read a few comments like this in this thread. IF McGregor did fight at WW(170) thats a 25lb jump from FW(145) but Rumble Johnson is doing alright after initially fighting at WW(170) and is now at LHW(205) which is a 35lb increase. I'm sure there have been others to have fought across 3 weight classes but Rumble's easy to remember when he's fighting this week :D

I think we have enough weight classes for men in UFC. IF they ever wanted more I hope they either go super heavy or straw weight but nothing inbetween whats already in place. Boxing has far too many weights IMO

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement