Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The tattoos down his forearms and onto his hands would certainly be an issue, as would the tiger.

Tattoos are an issue in hollywood? Do you even movie?

Characters in films have tattoos too, especially in action/hero/villain type roles.
    http://www.media4.hw-static.com/wp-content/uploads/57282301.jpg
    dave1982 wrote: »
    Where does he go when ufc say enough is enough gtfo. It happened to Tito.
    When he stops pulling in record PPV numbers he mgiht want to reconsider his position, but for now keep it rolling imo.
    Devastator wrote: »
    If we were to come up with a UFC streetfighter who can we have? Sage has to be Guile, Tim Silvia is Zangief, Anderson Silva has a bit of Dalsim with his front kicks
    Fair enough with Sage and guile. But Silvia is a fat american, Zangeif is Arlovski surely. Rumble Johnson is Balrog.

Blanka was Brazilian right, so guess he's be RDA, or Palhares is more an wild animal actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Mellor wrote: »

Fair enough with Sage and guile. But Silvia is a fat american, Zangeif is Arlovski surely. Rumble Johnson is Balrog.

Blanka was Brazilian right, so guess he's be RDA, or Palhares is more an wild animal actually.

I was basing it purely on looks and not nationality. I think Silvia's build is perfect for zangief. lol yeah Rumble is Balrog.

I think Blanka was Brazilian in the game but was he not a Marine with Guile in that real dodgy Van Damme film which would have made him American? :confused: Based on looks and wild hair I would say Clay Guide as Blanka :D
    Chun Lee - Michelle Waterson. Struve as Sagat maybe, not the right build but bald and massively tall :D

I didn't realise there were so many versions of the game after I stopped playing. I had Super Street Fighter II on mega drive, it was basically the arcade characters along with 4/5 extras(T Hawk, big American Indian. Some Jamaican dude,etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I didn't realise there were so many versions of the game after I stopped playing. I had Super Street Fighter II on mega drive, it was basically the arcade characters along with 4/5 extras(T Hawk, big American Indian. Some Jamaican dude,etc).

There's a new one out this year, seen a clip of it on a BJJ website (as they added a bjj fighter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Gamebred wrote: »

He just loves leaving those hands down, no wonder he gets tagged a bit, but looking sharp as ever.

yeah he does get tagged. Getting tagged in the featherweight Vs lightweight may not be as nice as he thinks, that guard needs to be up, got tagged by aldo's first blow. he needs to watch it. I love watching his fights but by god that last press conference was a train wreck, he came off terribly. there's getting in somebody's head and there's just shouting them down and interrupting, it was the worst one ever in terms of viewers responses.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Its fighting lads your gonna get hit even the greatest defensive boxer Mayweather was hit,he has never been wobbled stumbled dropped ko'd in his life I think he knows what hes up to,Dos Anjos on the other hand has history of being ko'd,

Im surprised the leg kick arguement hasnt came up yet,RDA wrecked Nate Diaz's legs but he stands there in his boxing stance and wont check them,his kicks are verocious can see him trying to spam them for the minutes that hes conscious in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Does anyone else have a nagging feeling that all is not right with this PPV? I get that after 194 there's an element of "too much of a good thing" and that the two of them got out of their last fights in 80 seconds combined, so there's no issue with the rush but this isn't just a super fight, it's a MEGA fight that is four and a half weeks away and everything just seems...quiet.

I don't necessarily mean on Boards but everywhere. The hype just seems so far behind where it was for 194, even 189. Even the announcement of the fight was somewhat anticlimactic. I can't shake this feeling that we might have an injury in the final couple of weeks.

I don't think it's anticlimactic but I was very surprised the UFC have let it happen so fast alright. sure the holly holm fight would have been enough in that event even. you are right though in one sense, very quiet all round but I think the McGregor machine may have reached saturation point, the aldo thing will be hard to top. now everyone's looking forward to him losing rather than next victory.

with his behaviour in the last conference, I'd be hard pushed to blame them.

IMO it would take the most casual of casual 'fan' to need hype to get excited about this fight! I don't need Conor slabbering or Dana White telling me its going to be the biggest fight of all time to get worked up about it. Fact is, UFC spent a fortune promoting CMCC & Aldo and it lasted 13 seconds, both are coming off 1st round KO defeats and it has Holly Holm, the woman who beat "the man". The event speaks for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

The recent press conference was odd alright. It felt like Conor was trying to play the villain role, a la Mayweather.

The difference is that unlike Mayweather, Conor actually has charisma and shouldn't need to resort to tactics like bringing RDA's children into it, which I felt was a bit below the belt.

Mayweather was a boring fighter to watch, so it needed the "Money" persona to sell fights. All he had going for him was his undefeated record.

Saying all of the above, I'm sure Conor knows what he's doing. The El Chapo stuff and the handshake pose at the end shows that he wasn't taking all of what he was saying or doing too seriously.

Regarding the promotion, it is going to be tough to replicate the same hype as the Aldo fight, given the short time frame. I wonder too will the UFC be willing to pump the same money into this promotion, after getting burned with Aldo's injury. Maybe they also feel Conor can sell the fight by himself, without the big tour.

• Advertisement

IMO it would take the most casual of casual 'fan' to need hype to get excited about this fight! I don't need Conor slabbering or Dana White telling me its going to be the biggest fight of all time to get worked up about it. Fact is, UFC spent a fortune promoting CMCC & Aldo and it lasted 13 seconds, both are coming off 1st round KO defeats and it has Holly Holm, the woman who beat "the man". The event speaks for itself.

You really have a hard on for yourself and your credentials as a long time fan don't you? (Really though, that should be "fanboy", shouldn't it?) Did I say I or anyone else "needed" hype? I merely pointed out that, in my opinion, something just feels different about things this time, which in effect, you've implicitly acknowledged, so I guess thanks for that.

As for the event speaking for itself, do you think the serious PPV money comes from hardcore fans? I'll let you in on a secret - it doesn't. Mayweather-Pacquiao is the biggest PPV of all time and if ever there was an event that didn't need promoting, that was it. Did they just leave it there, doing nothing, comfortable that the fight would sell itself? Of course not, they promoted the hell out of it. I'm aware the fight is still a month away and no doubt there will be a buildup, embedded etc but I just can't get over this feeling there'll be a major change to the card. Hope I'm wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain"

Its naturally gonna happen. As it always does with hype.

People are probably bored of his antics so the hardcore fans are the ones still genuinely interested in the fight.

The more of a prik he acts the more people are gonna tune in to see him ko'd.same with mayweather they dont care if your tuning in to see him win or lose once your tuning in,he knows his fans will be tuned in reguardless so now hes getting the people who dont like him same way floyd did to tune in to see him beaten,once they pay its all good for him.

I don't know if that's necessarily always true, although it's a fine line between being Muhammad Ali and Floyd Mayweather in terms of brashness and trash talk.

I just don't want to see Conor having to resort to playing the villain. He should have people tuning in to see him win, instead of tuning in hoping to see him lose.

I don't think his antics will turn anyone off watching this fight. I'd imagine, at the very least, almost everyone that watched his last fight will tune into this one.

For a lot of people, the Aldo fight was the first UFC event they ever watched (which would explain a lot of the "it was a fix!" and "why did he have to strike Aldo on the ground like that?" comments afterwards. They will want to see this next fight as well to see what happens I'm sure.

I think he's well on his way to transcending the sport, similar to how Pacquaio did in boxing and Ronda has done to a point. He just needs to keep winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Does anyone else have a nagging feeling that all is not right with this PPV? I get that after 194 there's an element of "too much of a good thing" and that the two of them got out of their last fights in 80 seconds combined, so there's no issue with the rush but this isn't just a super fight, it's a MEGA fight that is four and a half weeks away and everything just seems...quiet.

I don't necessarily mean on Boards but everywhere. The hype just seems so far behind where it was for 194, even 189. Even the announcement of the fight was somewhat anticlimactic. I can't shake this feeling that we might have an injury in the final couple of weeks.

I'm sure the promotion of the event will ramp up after this weekend, given that it was supposed to be another PPV before RDA - Conor comes around. Sure even 194 wasn't promoted all that much until Rousey - Holm was out of the way one month before it, and look how well 194 ended up doing(granted after being promoted effectively for almost a year).

You really have a hard on for yourself and your credentials as a long time fan don't you? (Really though, that should be "fanboy", shouldn't it?) Did I say I or anyone else "needed" hype? I merely pointed out that, in my opinion, something just feels different about things this time, which in effect, you've implicitly acknowledged, so I guess thanks for that.

As for the event speaking for itself, do you think the serious PPV money comes from hardcore fans? I'll let you in on a secret - it doesn't. Mayweather-Pacquiao is the biggest PPV of all time and if ever there was an event that didn't need promoting, that was it. Did they just leave it there, doing nothing, comfortable that the fight would sell itself? Of course not, they promoted the hell out of it. I'm aware the fight is still a month away and no doubt there will be a buildup, embedded etc but I just can't get over this feeling there'll be a major change to the card. Hope I'm wrong though.

well said mate, great post, couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

They'll ramp up promotion 2 weeks out. I think they learned their lesson after UFC 189, they spent millions on a world tour and advertising for that and Aldo pulled out.

Fights like this aren't usually made this quick so it has snuck up. RDA and Connor both had 1st round finishes and had very little wear and tear on their bodies so it allowed them to go back into a camp after a couple of weeks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

They'll ramp up promotion 2 weeks out. I think they learned their lesson after UFC 189, they spent millions on a world tour and advertising for that and Aldo pulled out.

Fights like this aren't usually made this quick so it has snuck up. RDA and Connor both had 1st round finishes and had very little wear and tear on their bodies so it allowed them to go back into a camp after a couple of weeks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Looks like Conor dropped by the poster design dept afterall, new poster with his belt & "champion vs champion"

Glad to see it changed as the posters had gotten very boring as of late

CaUOYblUkAA8y5V.jpg

• Advertisement

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Glad to see it changed as the posters had gotten very boring as of late

Yup, theres a couple of cracking fan made posters knocking about. Few people in the UFC offices should be worried.

UFC 196 promo - Come to Daddy :D Bit of Aphex Twin backing it up....again fan made and probably better than the actual!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Yup, theres a couple of cracking fan made posters knocking about. Few people in the UFC offices should be worried.

UFC 196 promo - Come to Daddy :D Bit of Aphex Twin backing it up....again fan made and probably better than the actual!

Conor and Richard D? That's like the best combination since the Cheeseburger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

It's very well done and all... but why?!

nocoverart wrote: »
    Conor and Richard D? That's like the best combination since the Cheeseburger.

I'd have agreed if you said bacon cheeseburger :D
    dave1982 wrote: »

I reckon its more likely gamebred has 1 on his d**k :P

I've never understood people getting sportsmen,musicians
    ,etc type tattoos. I don't really like potraits anyway but I get if someone wants 1 of a family member in like a memorial.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That's a great rendition of Conor in fairness

https://twitter.com/TheBuzzerOnFOX/status/695077016505192451

Think Dana is hoping RDA wins so Conor has less pull.

Nah, it's just Dana selling/hyping the fight. Conor is the cash cow for the UFC, especially if he keeps winning. Good business for all involved.

Practically everyone that Conor fights is "a beast" and has the most blah dee blah in UFC history (incidentally, if you want a good drinking game while watching a UFC event, do a shot every time time the phrase "in UFC history" is mentioned. You won't make it past the prelims) and is going to take him to the ground and do all sorts of nasty things to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yupp, difference between Conor and Jon Jones is that whenever Jon fights, everyone knows he will win and that's that but Conor has been doubted in every fight so far and it's already a guarantee that even if he demolishes RDA, he will still be doubted against the 12 week camp wrestler Frankie. That doubt sells more tickets

Saying that, I can't wait for Bones to get his belt back (never thought I'd ever be a Bones fan :pac:)

• Advertisement

Nah, it's just Dana selling/hyping the fight. Conor is the cash cow for the UFC, especially if he keeps winning. Good business for all involved.

Practically everyone that Conor fights is "a beast" and has the most blah dee blah in UFC history (incidentally, if you want a good drinking game while watching a UFC event, do a shot every time time the phrase "in UFC history" is mentioned. You won't make it past the prelims) and is going to take him to the ground and do all sorts of nasty things to him.

Nah, got be the one where you drink everytime Joe Rogan says "Oh!"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement