Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yupp, difference between Conor and Jon Jones is that whenever Jon fights, everyone knows he will win and that's that but Conor has been doubted in every fight so far and it's already a guarantee that even if he demolishes RDA, he will still be doubted against the 12 week camp wrestler Frankie. That doubt sells more tickets

Saying that, I can't wait for Bones to get his belt back (never thought I'd ever be a Bones fan :pac:)

100% about McGregor. I've always liked Jones but I think even his haters would be swayed towards him when hes fighting DC. I can not understand how anyone likes that guy, especially now he holds the belt he's become even more dislikable IMO. The only thing I ever liked was his cake song :D

Can't wait for Bones to smash him up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Nah, got be the one where you drink everytime Joe Rogan says "Oh!"

"He's hurt"

"He rocked 'em"

Drinking games with Rogan are a lesson in alcohol poisoning

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Devastator wrote: »
    100% about McGregor. I've always liked Jones but I think even his haters would be swayed towards him when hes fighting DC. I can not understand how anyone likes that guy, especially now he holds the belt he's become even more dislikable IMO. The only thing I ever liked was his cake song :D

Can't wait for Bones to smash him up
    I prefer the Jon Jones version

allaboutthatcoke.gif

aaaaaahahahahahahahaha I've never seen that before :D It seems so obvious now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I can not understand how anyone likes that guy, especially now he holds the belt he's become even more dislikable IMO.

I've always said this when talking about the two of them with my friends.

I don't like Jones at all. Fantastic fighter, wanker of a person.

But as much as I absolutely dislike the man, I hate DC even more. There's no possible way I could ever like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I prefer the Jon Jones version

allaboutthatcoke.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Nah, got be the one where you drink everytime Joe Rogan says "Oh!"
    Nah, you'd be pissed by the end of the promo before the show even starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Practically everyone that Conor fights is "a beast" and has the most blah dee blah in UFC history and is going to take him to the ground and do all sorts of nasty things to him.

Everyone???
    That pretty much only applies to Mendes and Aldo.
    Prior to that he was climbing up the ranks and most new opponents were a level of fighter he had never faced, but by no means out of his league, or an unbeatable "beast".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Nah, it's just Dana selling/hyping the fight. Conor is the cash cow for the UFC, especially if he keeps winning. Good business for all involved.

Practically everyone that Conor fights is "a beast" and has the most blah dee blah in UFC history and is going to take him to the ground and do all sorts of nasty things to him.
    Mellor wrote: »
    Everyone???
    That pretty much only applies to Mendes and Aldo.
    Prior to that he was climbing up the ranks and most new opponents were a level of fighter he had never faced, but by no means out of his league, or an unbeatable "beast".

Whoa, easy there fella. :rolleyes:

I said practically everyone. And don't misunderstand, I'm not saying everyone Conor has faced was a "beast".

My post was referring to how fights in general are hyped in the UFC. Wouldn't make much sense for them to say "this guy hasn't a hope, don't even bother watching" I guess.

1 month!

CaaheauVAAI1Ycw.jpg

• Advertisement

this is an honest question really and I'm a long time UFC fan, I haven't missed one since UFC 76 but had watched kinda on and off from the 40's lets say.
    so we can all agree over the years there's been cheats and **** we all hate, Sean sherk!! Cheat.. TITO Ortiz, great at the time for the UFC, helped bring it forward into the mainstream so to speak (not by himself though as he claims) Wanker!

It seems straight forward enough on first glance at jones, but I don't see the warranted hate of Daniel Cormier. What's the story was he fighting in WEC or belator and molested some lads wife??

how could he be hated more that john jones?? have you seen that Viral Vid with Microphones still on?? he's a piece of ****!!! fleeing the scene of an auto wreck, at which point he did not even know if the pregnant lady in the car was badly hurt!! even if she was speaking, blood clots and pregnant woment don't mix.. he just thinks of himself, major ego on em. cocky coke fiend and waste of pure talent!! How can DC's stupid post fight interviews and whatever rants be worse??

I'm not seeing it to be honest, neither of them are particularly palatable I admit, but really??? Cormier less so than Jones?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

rusty cole wrote: »
    this is an honest question really and I'm a long time UFC fan, I haven't missed one since UFC 76 but had watched kinda on and off from the 40's lets say.
    so we can all agree over the years there's been cheats and **** we all hate, Sean sherk!! Cheat.. TITO Ortiz, great at the time for the UFC, helped bring it forward into the mainstream so to speak (not by himself though as he claims) Wanker!

It seems straight forward enough on first glance at jones, but I don't see the warranted hate of Daniel Cormier. What's the story was he fighting in WEC or belator and molested some lads wife??

how could he be hated more that john jones?? have you seen that Viral Vid with Microphones still on?? he's a piece of ****!!! fleeing the scene of an auto wreck, at which point he did not even know if the pregnant lady in the car was badly hurt!! even if she was speaking, blood clots and pregnant woment don't mix.. he just thinks of himself, major ego on em. cocky coke fiend and waste of pure talent!! How can DC's stupid post fight interviews and whatever rants be worse??

I'm not seeing it to be honest, neither of them are particularly palatable I admit, but really??? Cormier less so than Jones?:confused:

Not to disagree with any of your points but why do you say Jones is a waste of pure talent? hes possibly the greatest fighter ever on the planet undefeated (hamill fight doesnt count) dominant champion,not sure its wasted tbh.

I mean wasted in terms of his time out of the octagon has cost him money, affected his legacy as maybe the greatest fighter ever and also deprived us fans of maybe some great fights. That game is all about timing. Even a year out for a great fighter can mean he never get to face off against a long time rival who's maybe retured, injured, beaten finally etc.

No I Just mean his antics have wasted him. I agree, I hate him but by jasus I love watching him fight. Same as conor Mcgregor, especially lately.

stll though he's less likeable then DC,,,,NO?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

It is the little things with Cormier. Going over to Werdum saying "Oh boy you only gone and done it now angering Cain" when Werdum called him a fake mexican. The guy is an insufferable twat.
    rusty cole wrote: »
    I mean wasted in terms of his time out of the octagon has cost him money, affected his legacy as maybe the greatest fighter ever and also deprived us fans of maybe some great fights. That game is all about timing. Even a year out for a great fighter can mean he never get to face off against a long time rival who's maybe retured, injured, beaten finally etc.

No I Just mean his antics have wasted him. I agree, I hate him but by jasus I love watching him fight. Same as conor Mcgregor, especially lately.

stll though he's less likeable then DC,,,,NO?

How did it effect his legacy as greatest fighter ever? It cemented it for me. The guy partied like an animal, barely trained and still smoked the best on offer (pardon the pun). I think his problems make him a much more interesting personality too, to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Davei141 wrote: »
    How did it effect his legacy as greatest fighter ever? It cemented it for me. The guy partied like an animal, barely trained and still smoked the best on offer (pardon the pun). I think his antics make him a much more interesting personality too, to me anyway.

His "antics"? Think you're letting him away with an awful lot there.

Problems is probably more appropriate.

I honestly give very little f's what fighters do outside of the cage with their private life,nobodys an angel Jones especially but unless hes a murderer/child abuser or anything like that I couldnt care,I dont mind DC except the fact hes parading a fake belt around but everyone in the division would do the same it makes business sense.

Gamebred wrote: »
    I honestly give very little f's what fighters do outside of the cage with their private life,nobodys an angel Jones especially but unless hes a murderer/child abuser or anything like that I couldnt care,I dont mind DC except the fact hes parading a fake belt around but everyone in the division would do the same it makes business sense.

Talk of fake belts on a Conor McGregor thread. Risky...

Talk of fake belts on a Conor McGregor thread. Risky...

I know can of worms asking to be opened,Conor hadnt lost to the champion though in his previous fight personally think theres a huge difference in an interim and a fake one dc has.

Gamebred wrote: »
    I know can of worms asking to be opened,Conor hadnt lost to the champion though in his previous fight personally think theres a huge difference in an interim and a fake one dc has.

A lot of that coming from hindsight though. At the time of the accident, it looked more than possible that JBJ could be doing a good few hard years. If that had happened, would it still be a fake belt?

• Advertisement

A lot of that coming from hindsight though. At the time of the accident, it looked more than possible that JBJ could be doing a good few hard years. If that had happened, would it still be a fake belt?

Thats true considering Rumble is clear #1 contender and dc stopped him for it.

The guy is an insufferable twat.

lol sums up my feelings perfectly :D There was never any particular reason I didn't like him although I was never a fan of his fighting style. As soon as he won his paper belt he just became exactly as you described from his cringeworthy sitting on fox doing his pundit role with a belt in front to him to saying Jones would have to wait and he would decide when he would fight Jones if/when he came back.

I've always been a believer that you must beat the champ to be called the champ but DC put himself even above that.

lol sums up my feelings perfectly :D There was never any particular reason I didn't like him although I was never a fan of his fighting style. As soon as he won his paper belt he just became exactly as you described from his cringeworthy sitting on fox doing his pundit role with a belt in front to him to saying Jones would have to saying he would decide when he would fight Jones if/when he came back.

I've always been a believer that you must beat the champ to be called the champ but DC put himself even above that.

Yeah that's another thing that winds me up greatly, having him in his pundit role as a mouth piece for AKA. Doing his whole "ohhh i think rockhold can beat you man" to Weidman when he was sitting on the panel. Just shut the hell up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The guy is an insufferable twat.
    About as accurate a description as you could get really :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Why does everyone hate DC? Comes across well on Fox, hypes himself up like all fighters should, and shown before the JJ fight that he can handle himself in the face of some top trash talk by JJ as well as give it himself

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Why does everyone hate DC?

:confused: groundhog day was on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

:confused: groundhog day was on Tuesday

Must've missed it all:P

It is the little things with Cormier. Going over to Werdum saying "Oh boy you only gone and done it now angering Cain" when Werdum called him a fake mexican. The guy is an insufferable twat.

How did it effect his legacy as greatest fighter ever? It cemented it for me. The guy partied like an animal, barely trained and still smoked the best on offer (pardon the pun). I think his problems make him a much more interesting personality too, to me anyway.

I dunno, at the end of the day I preferred to see mike Tyson the boxer rather than mike tyson the tv car crash show.. when I say wasted talent, I mean, think of all he could have been without that ****e.. it's mad really, one day he's saving women on the street from a mugger(remember that greg jackson story, suffering twat, now there's one), the next he's high as a kite banging into them in a car... that's what happens when a man comes too far too fast and cannot take it... poignant I think.. I dont find anything about his ANTICS interesting at all, no more than Chris lebens, juni browning or any other spacer pissing away a golden opportunity.

in saying that, anyone who divides opinion tends to cause interest anyway, so I'd say you're half right and I agree to disagree with youz on it. I just wanted to ask the question.

sorry for the off topic.

cheers

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

jpvs42.jpg

:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement