Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Davei141 wrote: »
    Brandao got a bit of booing

Brandao was always going to get booed. A main event fight in Dublin against Conor. The writing was on the wall the moment the contract was signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Every single event has people booing the away fighter, all crowds have fools, in fact the commentator even complimented the Irish fans saying their was very little booing. The crowd was immense one of the greatest crowds i've ever heard watching MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I refused to boo one fighter, even Brandao, gave em all a clap. Bizarre Pickett getting boo'd. Now if the Queen Mudder was in the Octagon then yes, then I would have boo'd.

Conor haandled thee fight very well. Great interview with Helwani after it as well where he described a few mistakes he made. Also, great respect between him and Diego in the post presser. Can't wait for his next fight to be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Also, great respect between him and Diego in the post presser.

Yeah, I gained a lot of respect for him in the press conference. He was very humble and very pleasant about his loss.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Most of the booing was of the pantomime kind... there wasn't any serious hostility I felt.

Also,remember there were a lot of first timers who were there because Oirland! They might not know the culture in the sport (which is unfortunately slipping away as it is).

What sets MMA fighters/supporter apart from "human pitbull fights" is the respect and the understanding of the skill involved. I applauded Brandao last night... we should always respect the fight and by extension the fighters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭omeatheopian

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Yeah, I gained a lot of respect for him in the press conference. He was very humble and very pleasant about his loss.

I bumped into Diego on the quays this afternoon and he was saying how amazing the irish crowd were, and how he was delighted to be staying here for an extra couple of days to enjoy the country some more. Stood and chatted with me for 5 minutes and was no more arsed about the few boos and hoped to fight here again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I would wish people would stop repeating the fallacy that every non Irish fighter got booed because it is bull****. I don't like the booing full stop but no need to exaggerate it or flat out lie about it. Diego said on Wednesday joking when he got a bit of pantomime boos (And a crap load of cheers) that "In Brazil they boo much better". Every fighter got a good cheer/clap too. The only people who has anything negative to say about the crowd from an event that was watched all over the world by god knows how many people are on an Irish forum, it was bound to happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

How much did he get for winning the fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How much did he get for winning the fight?
    No salaries released yet afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Mellor wrote: »
    No salaries released yet afaik

He's on a 24/24 contract I believe, but I'm sure he gets a lot more than that in sponsorship etc. He also probably got a 50k bonus.

I'm not a big believer in the "undisclosed bonuses", I think people use them as a get out clause when people criticise the UFC for low pay checks (there's an interview with Jim Miller who says he almost never got one), but in Conor's case, I think it's fair to assume he was rewarded handsomely under the table.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Gumbi wrote: »
    He's on a 24/24 contract I believe, but I'm sure he gets a lot more than that in sponsorship etc. He also probably got a 50k bonus.

I'm not a big believer in the "undisclosed bonuses", I think people use them as a get out clause when people criticise the UFC for low pay checks (there's an interview with Jim Miller who says he almost never got one), but in Conor's case, I think it's fair to assume he was rewarded handsomely under the table.
    After 2 fights he was driving around in an M6 BMW, brand new. Plus not to mention the entire wardrobe hand tailored by Louis Copeland. It's fair to say he didn't afford that with his disclosed pay.

Also, according to Wiki, his win over Holloway was $12k/$12k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

After 2 fights he was driving around in an M6 BMW, brand new. Plus not to mention the entire wardrobe hand tailored by Louis Copeland. It's fair to say he didn't afford that with his disclosed pay.

Leasing the car. Still lives with parents. UFC pay for flights/accom in USA etc.

Saving a lot a wedge I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The car and clothes would all be free as it's excellent advertising for both brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

It was defiantly second hand, unless he had a fake plate for the documentary. Also, Louis 'takes care' of people like Conor for obvious reasons.

As for the booing, the opponent expects the booing it's all part of the home / away fighter. Booing a guy entreating the ring is normal practice. As mentioned above its all part of the pantomime.

When the camera was on Cub it sounded like the entire arena booed him. He smiled (played along) into the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

T-K-O wrote: »
    It was defiantly second hand, unless he had a fake plate for the documentary. Also, Louis 'takes care' of people like Conor for obvious reasons.

As for the booing, the opponent expects the booing it's all part of the home / away fighter. Booing a guy entreating the ring is normal practice. As mentioned above its all part of the pantomime.

When the camera was on Cub it sounded like the entire arena booed him. He smiled (played along) into the camera.

Cubs behaviour with the fans in Dublin has actually made me a bit of a fan of his now. I think he's even said the words said between conor and his may have been a bit premature as he is just starting to get conor's personality and finds his talk entertaining now.

Comes across sort of forest griffin-esque and doesnt take everything in the media as serious as I first thought.

Cubs behaviour with the fans in Dublin has actually made me a bit of a fan of his now. I think he's even said the words said between conor and his may have been a bit premature as he is just starting to get conor's personality and finds his talk entertaining now.

Comes across sort of forest griffin-esque and doesnt take everything in the media as serious as I first thought.

Yeah I tend to agree. I've heard more from Cub in the last two weeks than I did in the last two years. Also, I enjoy watching him fight, there's not a lot to dislike about the man.

Conor is trolling the UFC roster for his own personal gains & doing so with great success. Just like boxing, it's all part of the business / game.

Any clued in UFC fighter knows this & wouldn't (shouldn't) take it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I think so too. Cub is well aware at this stage what Conor is doing. He already said he respected Conor for saying the same stuff in person too as he said online.

Conor is very cognisant of what he's doing too in all aspects of his game (fighting and media) - his post fight interview with Helwanni is very telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I was talking to Cub for a good while in Temple Bar on Thursday. Really mellow cool guy. Had nothing bad to say about anyone but genuinely felt that he was next in line for a title shot and Conor was a few fights behind him.

Handled himself well when some yobs came over to give him a little stick over fighter McGregor, he just sat there chatted with everyone having his pint of Guinness and won them over.

I was talking to Cub for a good while in Temple Bar on Thursday. Really mellow cool guy. Had nothing bad to say about anyone but genuinely felt that he was next in line for a title shot and Conor was a few fights behind him.

Handled himself well when some yobs came over to give him a little stick over fighter McGregor, he just sat there chatted with everyone having his pint of Guinness and won them over.

and he would be right.

If I was Conor I would prefer Cub to challenge for the title first. Conor & Cub are of a similar level. The top 3 guys operate on the next level, IMO. Let Cub test the waters first.

Of course, Conor won't think like that but his time will come.

Yeah I shared his opinion . Great ambassador for the sport and deserved #1 title contender.

I think right now the top three exciting fighters @ 145

1. Aldo
    2. Cub
    3. Conor

These are the guys I am really looking forward to mixing it up most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Yeah I shared his opinion . Great ambassador for the sport and deserved #1 title contender.

I think right now the top three exciting fighters @ 145

1. Aldo
    2. Cub
    3. Conor

These are the guys I am really looking forward to mixing it up most.

I think he needs a few more fights to his name before a title shot.

I think putting him up against Aldo too soon would be a detriment to his career.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭Edsonbarboza

If and I think he will,get past Porier then maybe cub or someone else and another huge if gets a title shot,we all know aldo is a beast but was anybody impressed with him against Lamas last time? maybe it was an off night but I thought it was an awful performance and lamas isnt much better came out and struggled 3 rounds with another brazilian from aldos gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

If and I think he will,get past Porier then maybe cub or someone else and another huge if gets a title shot,we all know aldo is a beast but was anybody impressed with him against Lamas last time? maybe it was an off night but I thought it was an awful performance and lamas isnt much better came out and struggled 3 rounds with another brazilian from aldos gym.

I dont rate Aldo as this invincible beast that other people seem to think, I think mendes would have took the belt next month if it had of gone ahead, i dont think he gets enough credit he deserves. Only loss is to Aldo which imo was a freak knee after he got out wrestled for the round. Beat cub already (in WEC), first man to finish Guida, beat lentz in his last fight with a bad chest infection etc.

Being fully honest i think Conor would have a better chance v Aldo than Medes because stylistically it would be a better match up for him! Obviously im not saying he would or wouldnt beat aldo but if he were to face either of them right now id be fairly confident mendes would be a way tougher fight for him!

I think he needs a few more fights to his name before a title shot.

I think putting him up against Aldo too soon would be a detriment to his career.

I agree, was just saying I think he is one the most exciting fighters in the division. A genuine finisher.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭Edsonbarboza

Also think he has a very good chin hes been hit a few times in them 3 fights and before the ufc and just doesnt budge and marchs straight back forward thats a huge plus to have going into these bigger fights that he can take a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Ideally it'll be a big performance win vs a top 10 (Poirier), then a fight against a contender and finally a title shot. That's his quickest way of getting a title shot and righly so, it would be dumb for him to get one by the end of the year and probably bad for his career long term.

Hopefully Dana caves to the pressure and puts him against Poirier, I've watched a few of his fights and from what I've seen he leaves his chin out there to be hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

Korean Zombie or Frankie after Poirier if he beats him of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Ideally it'll be a big performance win vs a top 10 (Poirier), then a fight against a contender and finally a title shot. That's his quickest way of getting a title shot and righly so, it would be dumb for him to get one by the end of the year and probably bad for his career long term.

Hopefully Dana caves to the pressure and puts him against Poirier, I've watched a few of his fights and from what I've seen he leaves his chin out there to be hit.

Quickest way is for him to stay in shape and close to weight, which i'm sure he does, any injuries and he'll be in like a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Conor now #12 in the rankings. www.ufc.com/rankings

Not entirely sure how they work so not sure if any further movements can happen until after fight night.

I'd personally like to see him fight Stephens. Think that could be an excellent fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

That_Guy wrote: »
    Conor now #12 in the rankings. www.ufc.com/rankings

Not entirely sure how they work so not sure if any further movements can happen until after fight night.

I'd personally like to see him fight Stephens. Think that could be an excellent fight.
    Are those updated?

He was already #12 before the weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement