Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Same argument can already be made for this fight.

Taking Pettis aside, you had Khabib, Alvarez, Ferguson at the very least making viable cases for title fights.
    Khabib wanted a non-title fight on his return I believe.
    Alvarez was booked to fight Pettis at the time (obviously he's top non-booked contender now)
    Ferguson isn't quite at title shot level yet imo.
    Pettis is out of the picture for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Mellor wrote: »
    Khabib wanted a non-title fight on his return I believe.
    Alvarez was booked to fight Pettis at the time (obviously he's top non-booked contender now)
    Ferguson isn't quite at title shot level yet imo.
    Pettis is out of the picture for now.

i agree with all this.

i Kinda feel for Dustin porier though, id say he hates Mcgregors guts with whats happening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Same argument can already be made for this fight.

Taking Pettis aside, you had Khabib, Alvarez, Ferguson at the very least making viable cases for title fights.

It's different. Khabib is injured and hasn't fought in 2 years, Alvarez isn't that good imo, Ferguson is being hard done by but seems happy to take side steps. Conor has fought multiple times at lightweight and it's probably his natural weight, he has never fought at Welterweight, nor does his size suit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Cowboy only got his shot after an 8 fight win streak and he's far more of a draw then Ferguson so I don't think he has anything to feel hard done by.

Khabib wants a tune up fight before a title shot and him vs Ferguson makes sense as a title eliminator.

Conor earned his shot, he's the best at promoting himself, he created tension with RDA at the go big event and knocked the #1 p4p fighter out in 13 seconds. He gave the UFC no choice but to make the fight and if he beats RDA the UFC will find it hard to turn him down for a WW fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Lukker- wrote: »
    Cowboy only got his shot after an 8 fight win streak and he's far more of a draw then Ferguson so I don't think he has anything to feel hard done by.

Khabib wants a tune up fight before a title shot and him vs Ferguson makes sense as a title eliminator.

Conor earned his shot, he's the best at promoting himself, he created tension with RDA at the go big event and knocked the #1 p4p fighter out in 13 seconds. He gave the UFC no choice but to make the fight and if he beats RDA the UFC will find it hard to turn him down for a WW fight.

At this point they don't have a choice. Until he losses or his star power goes down McGregor picks his fights now, the UFC can't afford for him not to fight. If he beats RDA and wants a shot at the WW title he'll absolutely get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

official extended preview video

Devastator wrote: »
    official extended preview video

I think RDA looks smaller sitting on that couch in the interviews. maybe it's just me. I feel he's aiming to diffuse McGregor same as petis. get em down and keep em down. if mendes came closest and some think he failed as he was much smaller, then maybe RDA feels being larger he'll pick up where mendes left off.
    I don't feel he has it on his feet to beat mgregor.
    I'd just say conor needs to keep the hands up, a lot of people want to see him lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

rusty cole wrote: »
    I'd just say conor needs to keep the hands up

Thats my biggest fear for Conor here. He always keeps his hands too low, and gets caught a lot. His movement tends to save him a lot as he isn't getting hit cleanly but it's a different story getting clipped by even heavy hitting FWs, and getting a slap from a beast of a LW like Dos Anjos.

He could end up going out like Aldo did if he's not careful.

Don't think this video was posted, its about 2 weeks old. Interesting how rigid RDA's upper torso,neck & head are while he's striking. No doubting he's a strong sob but think he's definitely there to get a smack in the jaw. I think he'll try to get it to the ground, I don't think he's going to enjoy standing with McGregor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I think he needs to stay out of boxing range, he's a strong kicker and the better grappler. Problem is if he wants to grapple he'll have to step into the pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Don't think this video was posted, its about 2 weeks old. Interesting how rigid RDA's upper torso,neck & head are while he's striking. No doubting he's a strong sob but think he's definitely there to get a smack in the jaw. I think he'll try to get it to the ground, I don't think he's going to enjoy standing with McGregor

He can take a punch,I think he got clipped a few times against Petis but it didnt seem to affect him that much.

Gamb!t wrote: »
    He can take a punch,I think he got clipped a few times against Petis but it didnt seem to affect him that much.

So your saying because Pettis' punches didn't KO him nobody will(especially someone with proven punching power)? :confused: I can't remember the last time I seen Pettis KO anyone with punches....if I've seen it.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Thats my biggest fear for Conor here. He always keeps his hands too low, and gets caught a lot. His movement tends to save him a lot as he isn't getting hit cleanly but it's a different story getting clipped by even heavy hitting FWs, and getting a slap from a beast of a LW like Dos Anjos.

He could end up going out like Aldo did if he's not careful.

Low hands have there advantages when fighting someone who is gonna try and take you down.

Conors movement is gonna be the deciding factor, the main thing is he needs to keep his back away from the cage.

RDA can walk through punches to get close to you, not sure he can do that with Conor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Pettis fight tactics wont be working in this for as much as RDA will try,Pettis fought orthdox and got the body kicked off him,wont be working here against a southpaw,ran right into rdas shots back against the cage like a novice with no footwork that a boxer like conor has,

This is going to look like Rousey v Holm in terms of striking,an absolute embarassment basic winding up of hayemakers from rda before getting put stiff inside the first round by the greatest shot in combat sports at the moment.

Conor has been working on switching stances if his training video's are to be believed.

I know RDA's boxing isn't really fancied but his 1 2's aren't that bad considering there primary use isn't to cause damage but to allow him to move inside. He's excellent at transitioning from striking to takedowns.

Whatever about his boxing, his kicking is elite and I certainly think he's gonna go for Conor's leg, probably with outside leg kicks which is where Conor seems most vulnerable. Limiting Conor's movement is his best chance at winning the fight.

Distance is going to be the deciding factor imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

i dunno in the cage anything is possible. I will say watch mcgregor fight at 155 and he actually looks like he slows himself down in the UFC. ON paper id give it to mcgregor and id love to see him do it and send both Brazilians home inside 1 round total time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Lukker- wrote: »
    Conor has been working on switching stances if his training video's are to be believed.

I know RDA's boxing isn't really fancied but his 1 2's aren't that bad considering there primary use isn't to cause damage but to allow him to move inside. He's excellent at transitioning from striking to takedowns.

Whatever about his boxing, his kicking is elite and I certainly think he's gonna go for Conor's leg, probably with outside leg kicks which is where Conor seems most vulnerable. Limiting Conor's movement is his best chance at winning the fight.

Distance is going to be the deciding factor imo

Good post.

RDA is going to try and chew up that outside leg without a doubt, I think if McGregor makes RDA feel his power early RDA will be more hesitant in shooting for a takedown.

I do think RDA has the tools to take Conor down repeatedly over 5 rounds but I think he'll be arrogant enough to fancy his chances standing and get KO'd. One place I'm really worried for Conor is RDA's top game. I'm fearful for Conor that he can get subbed if it goes to the ground.

Excellent Firas Zahabi preview here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Gamebred wrote: »
    Pettis fight tactics wont be working in this for as much as RDA will try,Pettis fought orthdox and got the body kicked off him,wont be working here against a southpaw,ran right into rdas shots back against the cage like a novice with no footwork that a boxer like conor has,

This is going to look like Rousey v Holm in terms of striking,an absolute embarassment basic winding up of hayemakers from rda before getting put stiff inside the first round by the greatest shot in combat sports at the moment.

I think I'm actually gonna miss these posts (thought his is a little more toned down then usual admittedly)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I can't remember the last time I seen Pettis KO anyone with punches....if I've seen it.

I don't believe he has in the WEC or UFC

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I think I'm actually gonna miss these posts (thought his is a little more toned down then usual admittedly)

Where you going?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Comes across really well imo. Dispells the whole McGregor promotions stuff and outlines his loyalty to Dana Lorenzo and the UFC. I love how he says he hasn't outgrown Dublin and wants to fight here or East coast at the very least after 200 as Vegas is tough for Irish fans regards distance. Makes him very relatable imo, not caught in the bubble of stardom.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Very happy to see he's quashed the rumours of dissension between himself and the UFC brass, that wouldn't have ended well for either party if anything became of "McGregor Promotions".

Another absolutely brilliant interview from Andrew, gets better every time I see him, "Irish Ariel" he is indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

Great interview, keep up the good work!

yeah it was a good interview, I like watching the fella Andrew doing them.

"I folded the mountain" :D was the mountain not the name of the big 10 foot tall monster that was chasing him round the gym in a video about 6 months ago? lol :D Interesting to hear he's got WWs in for this training camp. I suppose the bigger and stronger he prepares for now makes what RDA will bring to the mix less relevant.

Sounds like anyone wanting to see CMCG in Vegas may get their arse in gear(Ive still a spare for the upcoming fight btw :P), he's committed to 200 but sounds like he doesn't want to go back to Vegas again after that. I suppose it depends how much is on the table. I doubt he'll be back fighting here this year though and still have lot of doubts he'll fight here while he holds a belt(s). I know croke is out of the question but are there any other possible venues in Dublin for a v.late night card to better suit American tv times? I know he said he would fight in front of 9000 people but the demand for tickets anywhere on this island would far far outweigh that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

As soon as I saw the photo of McGregor vs Mendes I instantly loved it and only recently realised why. It reminded me of the game "Punch-Out" I used to play as a kid (and still play regularly) so I got it in my head to create a version of "Lil Mac Vs Mystic Mac". Getting Lil Mac behind the cage was the hardest part. Used a webpage to 8 bit iffy it...

VARV42C.png

stephenl15 wrote: »

Comes across really well imo. Dispells the whole McGregor promotions stuff and outlines his loyalty to Dana Lorenzo and the UFC. I love how he says he hasn't outgrown Dublin and wants to fight here or East coast at the very least after 200 as Vegas is tough for Irish fans regards distance. Makes him very relatable imo, not caught in the bubble of stardom.

he looks very big there for a few weeks out I must say. when fighting at 155 in cage warriors he didn't have as much muscle on him but then he's matured as a fighter and just looks like a beast.

rusty cole wrote: »
    he looks very big there for a few weeks out I must say. when fighting at 155 in cage warriors he didn't have as much muscle on him but then he's matured as a fighter and just looks like a beast.

Yeah in CW he looked like a FW who didn't need to cut for LW.
    Now he looks like a big LW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah in CW he looked like a FW who didn't need to cut for LW.
    Now he looks like a big LW.

definitely looks like a lot more muscle mass. Possibility that he doesn't move back down?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

definitely looks like a lot more muscle mass. Possibility that he doesn't move back down?

The only way he's cutting down to FW again is if he loses. It's a calculated risk. Lose at LW he's still a champion. Win and he can vacate the FW belt and still be champion. It's a win win for for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement