Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I'd rather they put the Holm fight on its own card and gave us 2 top 5-10 male fights instead of the one female womens fight to prop the card up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

11 fights is a light card alright. Unless they give a skip to fightpass prelims. The card tonight is 14 and Bisping vs Silva is 13. Would like 1 or 2 more but we couldn't have asked for a better Main/Co-Main combo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Not a great card superfight aside.

martyos121 wrote: »
    He's only after saying he's contracted to do UFC 200 and then he wants to have a few fights on the east coast, then Dublin hopefully. I know he's said in the past he wants to make his money and get out, but I think he sees a few more years ahead of him in this business. I can only see him retiring once he loses two in a row.

I agree, by his own admission, the chin can only take so much and the body also clocks up the oul mileage. I think he should beat RDA (HOPE,HOPE) then defend that belt and if successful, maybe then walk away. WW is not an option for him, he'd be smashed by bigger lads walking out at 190.. his skill wouldn't count for as much as in the lower weight classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

196 has a lot of tickets dropped in price now.

Where I sat for 194 is £182 cheaper this time.

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p7nn5w_qS50&feature=youtu.be

Some interesting chat about Conor here.. I know Joe tends to talk some poop but still interesting, he reckons if Conor beats RDA he fights Lawlor at 200. Also says he worked on promo video for Wonderboy v Rory Mc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

ceecee14 wrote: »

Some interesting chat about Conor here.. I know Joe tends to talk some poop but still interesting, he reckons if Conor beats RDA he fights Lawlor at 200. Also says he worked on promo video for Wonderboy v Rory Mc.

Wonderboy Rory :eek:

Have to admit, these guys talking gets me hyped.

Man I hope he does it and goes for Robbie at 200.

Insaneeeeeeee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

rusty cole wrote: »
    I agree, by his own admission, the chin can only take so much and the body also clocks up the oul mileage. I think he should beat RDA (HOPE,HOPE) then defend that belt and if successful, maybe then walk away. WW is not an option for him, he'd be smashed by bigger lads walking out at 190.. his skill wouldn't count for as much as in the lower weight classes.

I dunno, I think he runs through Lawler with his movement and strikes from the outside. He could easily pack on enough weight to walk on fight night at 180-185 which would be plenty for WW. Look at what 'Wonderboy' Stephen Thompson did to Hendricks; I think Conor would do similar to Robbie. I couldn't see him beating Rory MacDonald or Damien Maia though (assuming he can stay at the level he showed against Gunnar Nelson).

Dos Anjos is the more difficult fight by a stretch, I give him a 60% chance of success. If he can avoid getting taken down in the first 3 minutes I think he'll land enough to slow Dos Anjos down and finish him early in the 2nd. If he gets taken down inside a minute he will be in big trouble. Funnily enough, Dos Anjos' has said how he will plan to take Conor deep into the championship rounds, if that means he intends to start conservatively, then that will work in Conor's favour as he'll have more space to land from range.
    I can't wait to see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Deadst4r wrote: »

i like Robin black and i like to rock...and just today i discover he's a rockstar!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

So is that Dan Hardy out of a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

The Celtic cross finisher

The angry border collie haha

I think we all need to relax with this welter weight talk now. Conor has never fought at this weight, yes he's sparred at about 175 maybe but championship competition against other athletes competing in that division is different.

I'd say NO WAY to WW for conor McGregor and sure if he got smashed on the 5th we'd all be saying it was maybe too much too soon. even if he were to walk through dos antos, WW carries more muscle which may slow him down, although I will admit one thing watching him spar and move on videos at around WW, he does have nice movement and speed. Robbie Lawler looks like a robot and would be the easier match where this to happen! I think there's more dynamic fighters at WW who are all wrong for McGregor.

anyway, focus the now, let talk more about RDA yo!!!

Gotta laugh at the Lawler being an easy fight comments ive been reading so much,absolute garbage talk the man is a machine who is in war after war against the best around and breaks people the best 5th round fighter in mma too you'd swear he was some chinny waster,robbie lawler would absolutely maul RDA for fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Gamebred wrote: »
    Gotta laugh at the Lawler being an easy fight comments ive been reading so much,absolute garbage talk the man is a machine who is in war after war against the best around and breaks people the best 5th round fighter in mma too you'd swear he was some chinny waster,robbie lawler would absolutely maul RDA for fwiw.

And maul Conor too!!

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    And maul Conor too!!

Haha

Gamebred wrote: »

Tbf Robbie is best chance conor has at WW. Robbie would stand with conor, where he'd be outstruck and I think conor has better chance of beating Robbie than RDA. Anyway I see RDA winning on the 5th if he don't he'll do enough damage conor won't be fit to fight at 200

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

i love Robin Black..FLIM FLAM!!

• Advertisement

Robbie's a great brawler, super gas tank but he's only got 1 approach. He will keep walking an getting picked off by Conor. I believe he is the only WW Conor could realistically fight.. Conor will obliterate RDA in 60seconds next week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Lawler might stand and bang, but if he was getting picked off he could just decide to take Conor down at will. So could the rest of the WW division of they chose to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

All the talk of Lawler is a bit mad. It's strange to say about the champ, but he is the best match up for Conor at the top of WW as he's a brawler and will stand and trade. But that hardly means it's an easy fight. He's looked like the terminator lately, and took Rory's and Condit's best shots for a combined 9 rounds and didn't go down, how will Conor put him away?

I'd love to believe it but it just seems like crazy talk. We need to at least wait and see how Conor gets on against RDA. If he smokes him in 1 round the hype will start to build, but that in itself is a big ask of course.

Lukker- wrote:
    Lawler might stand and bang, but if he was getting picked off he could just decide to take Conor down at will. So could the rest of the WW division of they chose to.

Lawlor didn't take Rory down or even attempt to when he was being beat on his feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Lawlor didn't take Rory down or even attempt to when he was being beat on his feet.

Rory is 20 pounds heavier than Conor, and has IMO the best take down defence in the division.

Maia shot for take downs all day against Rory and didn't land any and he has the best double in the division.

Lawler was also doing serious damage when he landed, he knew that one clean punch could end the fight with the state of Rorys face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The delusion grows daily amongst the fanboys.

Lads, weightclasses exist for a reason. There isn't a man in the top 10 of the WW division that wouldn't decapitate Conor. The size difference alone makes it a total mismatch.

You saw that Maia did to Conor's bigger, stronger, better grappler of a team mate.

Can you imagine what Woodley or Hendricks would do to Conor? They'd take him down and will and sit in his guard feeding him elbows until his face exploded.

Jesus, imagine Conor and Nick Diaz?

Robbie would eat him up.

Just seen rumours on twitter RDA is out injured....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Ana Hissa claims its true now shes reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

@SubZeroMMA:
    2016-02-23 12:28:12 UTC
    Breaking: Rafael dos Anjos is injured and out of UFC 196.

@WillHam27:
    2016-02-23 12:33:48 UTC
    @SubZeroMMA Not seeing this anywhere else. You sure?

@SubZeroMMA:
    2016-02-23 12:35:58 UTC
    @WillHam27 Yep. RDA broke his foot. twitter.com

Hope its not true...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement