Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭Edsonbarboza

Long way to Las Vegas but no doubt he will have a serious support there if thats the next stop for him,nearly consider it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Are those updated?

He was already #12 before the weekend.

It gives the date in the upper right hand corner as 18th July so I presume they're from before the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Are those updated?

He was already #12 before the weekend.

Thought he was ranked #13. As pointed out by another poster the date reads July 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Where was Diego ranked?

Does beating a lower ranked fighter than you move you up the ranking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

dave1982 wrote: »
    Where was Diego ranked?

Does beating a lower ranked fighter than you move you up the ranking?

It does if you spank them

• Advertisement

You gotta laugh at Dustin Porier on the mma hour right now Conor has him wound up already the fight is lost already imo,brandao had him rocked think he would be taken out in the first round.

Ariel giving a soliloquy about Conor and the Dublin show at the moment. Very dramatic and romantic speech, but have to say I agree with him and his reading of why the night was so amazing.

Edit: actually he's now writing the movie script of the night running through Paddy Houlihan's great start through Pendred, Seery's backstory and Gunni too. Guess he had a good weekend!

Edit Edit: wow, it's a like hearing a love letter to all of them :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

srumball wrote: »
    Leasing the car. Still lives with parents. UFC pay for flights/accom in USA etc.

Saving a lot a wedge I imagine

He's probably spending every cent to project an image. His finances are public
    knowledge and I very much doubt he is saving much with the meagre money he's on. What has he earned over the past 2 years? Take your taxes and training expenses and it's very tight. The UFC pay their guys a pittance especially when you consider the fact he sold out the O2. A boxer would pocket most of that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Thomas D wrote: »
    knowledge and I very much doubt he is saving much with the meagre money he's on. What has he earned over the past 2 years? Take your taxes and training expenses and it's very tight. The UFC pay their guys a pittance especially when you consider the fact he sold out the O2. A boxer would pocket more of that money.

Fixed that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

3 UFC wins, if he started on $8k/8k, and even if only going up in small increments, he'll have made about $60k in purse plus wins, and another $100k in disclosed bonuses. So $160k plus whatever his sponsors have paid out, and I wouldn't be surprised if he got some extra bonuses, especially after the hype he brought to the Boston card.

Out of curiosity, (not being smart, I genuinely don't know), what would a boxer on the edge of the top 10 make?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Like he said in the "Day with" he'll make as much money on that fight as he would in a career of plumbing.

What he wins in prizes is not what he gets paid. He gets paid otherwise by bonuses and sponsors. Since the fight was such a huge success I'd bet he's pocketing 7 figures anyway out of last weekend.

Then he'll do a few interviews and appearances and that jazz and pocket a few more digits.

He'll be alright anyway, rarely stuck for change.

Like he said in the "Day with" he'll make as much money on that fight as he would in a career of plumbing.

What he wins in prizes is not what he gets paid. He gets paid otherwise by bonuses and sponsors. Since the fight was such a huge success I'd bet he's pocketing 7 figures anyway out of last weekend.

Then he'll do a few interviews and appearances and that jazz and pocket a few more digits.

He'll be alright anyway, rarely stuck for change.

7 figures? Come on man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Conor has gone up two to #10 in the rankings now http://www.ufc.com/rankings

It makes no odds really what hes earning but id hazard a guess and say he probably got paid by the ufc 50k for that fight and the 50k bonus,easily another 50 grand in sponsership from deathrone and joe.ie alone for the short i'd say he will come away with 200k from that event could be miles out but thats my view on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

It makes no odds really what hes earning but id hazard a guess and say he probably got paid by the ufc 50k for that fight and the 50k bonus,easily another 50 grand in sponsership from deathrone and joe.ie alone for the short i'd say he will come away with 200k from that event could be miles out but thats my view on it.
    Not a chance he's getting paid 50k per fight from the UFC. Fighters are generally signed up in the region of 8k-14k for their first contract fights. Sure Uncle Creepy was fighting for 14k until recently. after 3/4 fights. Although he came out with about 80k after bonuses in his headline fights with Mighty Mouse he was contracted to get about 8k.
    When the purses for UFC on FX 3: "Johnson vs. McCall" were released, many fans were upset that headliner Ian McCall made only $9,000 for his losing effort versus Demetrious Johnson.

However, McCall came on The Underground and reported that things are not always as reported when it comes to UFC fighter pay.

UFC PAY??

www.UncleCreepyMMA.com, UGCTT President

Dana says he doesn't like to give out real numbers, which is def. the truth cause i came on here and saw people saying things like i shoulda got paid more even though i lost but i headlined the card..

i did, dana sent me an extra 25k right after the fight plus i got main event sponsor money haha

the UFC pays you to do your job, if you do it then you get paid good.. in my UFC debut i made over 80,000... thats a lot of money for a division half the MMA community didn't know existed!!

i love all of you guys, most of you know my life story, i just wanted you to know that i get taken care of by the UFC real well, ESPECIALLY when it comes to $!

All i gotta do now is beat the crap out of someone and move forward and start making anderson moneyyy !!!!!!! :)

UGCTT 4 LIFE! gotta head out but the shirts should be coming tomorrow so ill be signing them all for ya!

Not a chance he's getting paid 50k per fight from the UFC. Fighters are generally signed up in the region of 8k-14k for their first contract fights. Sure Uncle Creepy was fighting for 14k until recently. after 3/4 fights. Although he came out with about 80k after bonuses in his headline fights with Mighty Mouse he was contracted to get about 8k.

Not going to debate the chaps wages but i'd be shocked of he didnt come out with 100k + from the weekend inc sponserships and bonus's ect.

I say he got a few quid because of 1st time tv in Ireland and according to Dana a huge jump in fightpass

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

That's fair enough. the bonuses mentioned above all seem around the ballpark of what you'd expect but his base fighter pay is nowhere near 50k.

That's fair enough. the bonuses mentioned above all seem around the ballpark of what you'd expect but his base fighter pay is nowhere near 50k.

Yeah his base pay I think is his lowest income from the ufc nearly

What contract is he on lads? when he signed was it a 3 or 4 fight contract or what? hes 3 fights in now maybe one or two more left and then its time to negotiate a new one with bigger pay I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

knowledge
    and I very much doubt he is saving much with the meagre money he's on.

No they aren't.
    You or I have no idea what he has made.

Fight purses are disclosed, as are *otN bonuses. But after that we have undisclosed promo money - Boston, Dublin were pretty we hyped events. Then there's endorsements - Detrone, King, Heinekin. Fight sponsors will be paying a premium considering he gets so much coverage, especially being main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Due to the amount of European interest in Big Gus/Jones rematch at the end of September and the fact its the next event in Vegas(UFC178),It seems to make sense that that could be the next time Conor's next time in the octagon.Card seems stacked enough so far though with Dominic Cruz and Cat Zingano making their returns (v Mizugaki/Nunez) and Tim Kennedy V Romero.

Your average Joe coming into the UFC will have a bottom rate of $8/8 and increases incrementally.

Conor came in as a 2 weight champion in a respected organisation. He would have been in a better negotiating position than that average Joe.

I would hazard a guess that he made minimum $15/15k base plus win and that's IF there was no new contract after Boston.

Someo reckoned he'll get €50k in sponsorship, I doubt that. Nowhere near it.

But remembering the Underground post from Sean McCorkell about undisclosed bonuses, I don't believe for a second that McGregor didn't get an extra bonus for both Boston and Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Due to the amount of European interest in Big Gus/Jones rematch at the end of September and the fact its the next event in Vegas(UFC178),It seems to make sense that that could be the next time Conor's next time in the octagon.Card seems stacked enough so far though with Dominic Cruz and Cat Zingano making their returns (v Mizugaki/Nunez) and Tim Kennedy V Romero.

it could be a problem as it's 5 rounds

I have to laugh at guys thinking he is getting a million plus for sponsorship and media appearance fees. The fact that Joe.ie was one of his main sponsors says a lot. Media fees are also minuscule.

I have to laugh at guys thinking he is getting a million plus for sponsorship and media appearance fees. The fact that Joe.ie was one of his main sponsors says a lot. Media fees are also minuscule.

Did anyone speculate over a million?

That would be ludicrous. The famous post on the Underground by Sean McCorkle said that his sponsorship value was generally about 75% of his base pay.

If we're working on the assumption that McGregor had a base of about $15k, then he'd be looking at roughly $12k (on one hand the fighter sponsorship market has died down a bit, on the other hand McGregor is much more marketable than McCorkle and was also headlining). Maybe his base+win was a little higher, maybe his sponsorship money was a little higher. But not that much.

Best case scenario...

Base - $20k
    Win bonus - $20k
    Sponsors - $20k
    FOTN - $50k

Total - $110k

If the UFC gave him an undisclosed bonus that might bring him up to around $150k absolute max in my opinion. But as others have said, if he's coming near the end of his contract he'll be in a great spot. People always bemoaned the fact that Michael Bisping was making about €200k basic pay per fight, even before he got himself into the top 5. The simple reason was that he put bums in seats and led the UFC's movement in the UK. Conor is in a similar position in many ways for the European market.

If he was negotiating a new deal today I would say he'd be pushing for minimum $60k/60k. There are a lot of higher ranked fighters who don't earn half of that, but don't underestimate the power of marketability.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

I don't know how you can think he was making a similar amount in sponsorship to a guy like Sean McCorkle.

osl wrote: »
    I don't know how you can think he was making a similar amount in sponsorship to a guy like Sean McCorkle.

I don't. Maybe try reading the post again...
    (on one hand the fighter sponsorship market has died down a bit, on the other hand McGregor is much more marketable than McCorkle and was also headlining). Maybe his base+win was a little higher, maybe his sponsorship money was a little higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

I don't. Maybe try reading the post again...

"maybe his sponsorship money was a little higher. But not that much."

Sounds similar to me

• Advertisement

osl wrote: »
    "maybe his sponsorship money was a little higher. But not that much."

Sounds similar to me

In 2011, McCorkle was making an extra 75% on top of his base pay in sponsorship.

In 2014, in a market where fighter sponsorship is in major decline as highlighted by many fighters recently, I speculate that McGregor may well have done similar or a little higher.

If you think that means I'm saying McGregor makes the same amount in sponsorship as McCorkle then good for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement