Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Myrddin wrote: »
    I don't see what's in it for Conor:

less money to be made (not a title fight)
    risk of defeat, which means no subsequent title shot
    risk of injury, delayed shot at the title

Win, lose or draw McGregor gets a title fight at UFC 200. The only aspect that this is going to change is against who.

If he beat RDA, he could defend his FW, LW or even the possibility of fighting against Robbie Lawler (unlikely) for WW title at UFC 200.

Lose to RDA, he defends his FW title.

Beats whoever steps in for RDA at UFC 196 and fights against RDA for title at UFC 200.

His next 2 fights are always for the title.

Gamebred wrote: »
    He mind is bulletproof theres no way hes would even entertain them thoughts in his mind,still guaranteed a fortune for fighting on the card reguardless of who its against.

one thing to have a bullet proof mind but the body??? his mind was bullet proof at the holloway fight!!! look what happened that night!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

TheTownie wrote: »
    Shít you're right. 180 day suspension. Unless there is some way around that I don't know about, thats a no go.

Maybe there is since Pettis' management are contacting UFC.

I wouldn't be surprised if some people are throwing their names into the hat with zero possibility of fighting.
    GiftofGab wrote: »
    Win, lose or draw McGregor gets a title fight at UFC 200. The only aspect that this is going to change is against who.

If he beat RDA, he could defend his FW, LW or even the possibility of fighting against Robbie Lawler (unlikely) for WW title at UFC 200.

Lose to RDA, he defends his FW title.

Beats whoever steps in for RDA at UFC 196 and fights against RDA for title at UFC 200.

His next 2 fights are always for the title.

Unless he gets injured in the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

rusty cole wrote: »
    one thing to have a bullet proof mind but the body??? his mind was bullet proof at the holloway fight!!! look what happened that night!

He won?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

rusty cole wrote: »

I'm sure he's well aware of the risks that come with fighting.

I genuinely believe him when he says he loves to fight and make money and he won't pass up an opportunity to do that , or let the travelling fans down , or have anyone say he backed down when an opponent would step in.

He'll fight Cerrone or Diaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Conor should be taken off the card, so he can start shredding the weight gained to fight Frankie at UFC 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ariel gave update from Cordeiro
    According to dos Anjos' coach Rafael Cordeiro, RDA won't need surgery on his injured foot at this time, however, he can't put any pressure on it for at least three weeks.
    "I am devastated," he said, "because we were preparing well for this fight and we were ready."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

DrumSteve wrote: »
    He won?

Damaged ligaments in his knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

what if RDA broke his foot filming footage for EA UFC 2

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

He hurt it on Friday yet its only released now,requires no surgery just cant put pressure on it for 3 weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mel123

Gamebred wrote: »
    He hurt it on Friday yet its only released now,requires no surgery just cant put pressure on it for 3 weeks...

McGregor then would have known all about this, and he still flew to Vegas.
    He'll defo be fighting, not a chance it will be called off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Rda been called a pussy now for pulling out, God Facebook is full of fools!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

WTF? What did I miss? Just back from a couple days away!! :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Conor should pull too. After he beat Mendes people were rubbishing his win saying Chad just rolled of the couch and fought so its not a legit win. It will be even worse this time with 11 days left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Letree wrote: »
    Conor should pull too. After he beat Mendes people were rubbishing his win saying Chad just rolled of the couch and fought so its not a legit win. It will be even worse this time with 11 days left.

Totally agree man,i been looking forward to this fight like no other and would love to watch Conor fight next week.

But for him personally he would be better just pulling out,no matter who he fights they will use the short notice excuse and nearly every one of the people mentioned is super dangerous there just isn't enough upside for me to make any of the fights with any of the names being bandied about.

But like someone mentioned it looks like he is going ahead and fighting,Pettis and Cowboy seem to be the frontrunners at the minute both very dangerous fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Ah he will prob fight and spout his usual, "I turned up".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Aldo was offered the fought and officially turned it down. His coach said he is not in shape.....even for 155??

So much for that shyte he was spouting last week about staying in shape in case he had to step in.

Cowboy currently weighs 174 according to his camp.

Storming Norman wants to get pulled from this weekend to fight Conor next week.

"The game is on it's knees, I want them to line up and beg me"

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

newbbieb wrote: »
    Totally agree man,i been looking forward to this fight like no other and would love to watch Conor fight next week.

But for him personally he would be better just pulling out,no matter who he fights they will use the short notice excuse and nearly every one of the people mentioned is super dangerous there just isn't enough upside for me to make any of the fights with any of the names being bandied about.

But like someone mentioned it looks like he is going ahead and fighting,Pettis and Cowboy seem to be the frontrunners at the minute both very dangerous fights.

There is no chance in hell that Conor will pull for the following reasons:

1) The idea of this being risky does not seem to enter his head, it's just not in his mind set - to him, he can beat anyone at any time. It is this mentality that separates him from the pack to be fair.

2) Look at how many Irish people (including myself) are heading over for the fight - there is no way he will let down the fans by pulling out.

3) He stands to earn a lot of money for this fight, even if the PPV buys are down, what he will earn for this fight is substantially more than most people will earn in our entire lifetime of working (if reports on what he has earned previously are to be believed)!!!

4) If he pulls, the UFC stand to lose a bus load of money - the card is far from being the best card UFC have ever put together and McGregor is the big draw. Without him, the card is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭istabrac77

UFC is motivated by Revenue.
    Being such a poor card this will be downgraded to another Fight Night if McGregor pulls out. Little or no Revenue for UFC

McGregor is motivated by Money.
    If he fights (Diaz/Pettis/Cerrone/Ferguson) it will keep UFC 196 at a PPV and he will collect a sizeable cheque. McGregor in return for saving UFC196 will also be promised a larger cut of UFC 200 no matter who he fights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So will the Holm fight be the main event now?

This is actually a bargaining chip for him against the ufc to demand even more cash to take a replacement,Im sure that is of some consolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭xtal191

As mentioned earlier by Gamebred, Aldo should not be fighting so soon after being ko'd, UFC shouldn't even be asking him.

Supposedly they refused Khabib, I'm guessing theres gonna be a load of bull**** rumours for the next 24hrs.

https://twitter.com/KevinI/status/702178837698744320

To be honest I'd prefer if Conor pulled out of the card and waited for 200

Khabib would probably do his knee in before next Saturday,hes the best in the division but he might not be the same after 2 years,cruz proved you can do it but not sure everyone can his body is falling apart he will never reign over a division,I dont think the ufc would risk him humping Conor plus the fact he has zero fans to buy the ppvs unlike cowboy or diaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

1) The idea of this being risky does not seem to enter his head, it's just not in his mind set - to him, he can beat anyone at any time. It is this mentality that separates him from the pack to be fair.

2) Look at how many Irish people (including myself) are heading over for the fight - there is no way he will let down the fans by pulling out.

3) He stands to earn a lot of money for this fight, even if the PPV buys are down, what he will earn for this fight is substantially more than most people will earn in our entire lifetime of working (if reports on what he has earned previously are to be believed)!!!

4) If he pulls, the UFC stand to lose a bus load of money - the card is far from being the best card UFC have ever put together and McGregor is the big draw. Without him, the card is nothing.

That right there is why I'm such a huge fan. He's always alluding to this. He's not like most other sports stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Seems like you picked what you wanted to from my post just so you could rant.I never said he was pulling,obviously i get he isn't pulling from the fight so there was no need for your 4 points on the subject

I said for him personally he would be better off careerwise not fighting.Yeah fans miss out.But a risky short notice fight hasn't much upside for Conor personally other than the single payday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Cowboy working off those extra pounds! :D

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCIys4zOfbM/

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Myrddin wrote: »
    So will the Holm fight be the main event now?

No, it will not! McGregor is the main draw and will be the main event fight (i.e. positioned as last fight on the card) regardless of who he is fighting.
    newbbieb wrote:
    Seems like you picked what you wanted to from my post just so you could rant.I never said he was pulling,obviously i get he isn't pulling from the fight so there was no need for your 4 points on the subject

I said for him personally he would be better off careerwise not fighting.Yeah fans miss out.But a risky short notice fight hasn't much upside for Conor personally other than the single payday.

I don't think I picked what I wanted from your post. I get your point that you think it would be a better career move for him to pull. My response was that whether or not it would be a good career move is a moot point because there is no way he will pull and I gave the reasons why. That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

What about Poirier or even Duffy? I know Duffy just lost but theyve both been calling for that rematch, and with Poiriers run at 155 i'd love to see that match up too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement