Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Most of the names being mentioned dont make sense.

McGregor is the biggest fighter in the UFC now bar none, Pettis has lost his last two, Cowboy got his shot and got smoked in a few minutes.
    No fight being mentioned is big enough.

Smart move is wait it out for Dos Anjos but I know he doesnt think like that and will more than likely take a fight where he has nothing to gain and a hell of a lot to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

ASOT wrote: »
    If Cerrone gets announced its a walk over for mcgregor imo, cowboy just starts to slow and mcgregor will tear into the body and end it early. Will set up a bigger fight with RDA though for ufc 200.

I know Frankie has turned down the fight (apparently) but I wonder where this leaves him. Assuming Conor wins against Cowboy or Diaz or whoever then it's a given it will be Conor v RDA at 200. That means the featherweight title will be inactive until September/October at best. Assuming Conor decides to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

I know Frankie has turned down the fight (apparently) but I wonder where this leaves him. Assuming Conor wins against Cowboy or Diaz or whoever then it's a given it will be Conor v RDA at 200. That means the featherweight title will be inactive until September/October at best. Assuming Conor decides to keep it.

I personally dont think he fights at 145 again, but thats just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

mdwexford wrote: »
    Most of the names being mentioned dont make sense.

McGregor is the biggest fighter in the UFC now bar none, Pettis has lost his last two, Cowboy got his shot and got smoked in a few minutes.
    No fight being mentioned is big enough.

Smart move is wait it out for Dos Anjos but I know he doesnt think like that and will more than likely take a fight where he has nothing to gain and a hell of a lot to lose.

He'll gain a few million dollars anyway!

• Advertisement

shrewdness wrote: »
    He'll gain a few million dollars anyway!

He has plenty by now.

Titles, superfights and legacy are what he should be after at this stage.
    The money being a nice addition obviously.

Off the ball live link ... http://www.newstalk.com/Home

I personally dont think he fights at 145 again, but thats just my opinion

I agree. But even if he doesn't he won't make that decision until after 200 which means featherweight basically stays stagnant for much longer now.

Also keeping Conor in the main event in a non title fight is kind of pissing on the womens division.

Has a title fight ever been before a non title fight in UFC history?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

Also keeping Conor in the main event in a non title fight is kind of pissing on the womens division.

I think it was once, think tito ortiz was in the main event with a middleweight and heavyweight title on before it?

• Advertisement

Don't be surprised if the women's title fight gets upgraded to main event.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

Cerrone with another post,

"anyone,anywhere, any time.. Just waiting on a call"

Fair play to him anyway, willing to fight in 2 different divisions in 13 days, says alot about the pussys turning it down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

That's why I think the interim belt is a strong possibility. I know people have talked about the very valid reasons as to why an interim belt should not happen but given the circumstances of it being main event fight in a show with a title fight as co-main event (just like Lawlor vs MacDonald was at UFC 189), it might actually happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

dickwod1 wrote: »

What time do ya know?

1 min

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

JR6 wrote: »
    What time do ya know?
    Should be on in a min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

ASOT wrote: »
    If Cerrone gets announced its a walk over for mcgregor imo, cowboy just starts to slow and mcgregor will tear into the body and end it early. Will set up a bigger fight with RDA though for ufc 200.

In fairness Conor might KO him early anything is possible,but that statement is ridiculous.Cerrone is 6 1 to Conors 5 9 has a reach as long or longer than Conor which nullifies one of Conors greatest strengths and to say Cowboy an absolutely elite world class kickboxer with way way more experience than Conor will get walked on is beyond naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

JR6 wrote: »
    What time do ya know?

just about to start now

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FollowMyWay

They can't put a non-title fight above a title fight. Dana saying Conor stays main event, then it has to be for an interim title. It's a massive lack of respect for a champion to defend their belt under a non-title fight.

Conor V Diaz for an interim, can't see it. Can only be Eddie Alvarez or Tony Ferguson for an interim. Really Conor to co-main if he stays on the card.

Don't be surprised if the women's title fight gets upgraded to main event.

Seen an article by Kevin Iole on Yahoo Sports earlier where there were some quotes by Dana. He said Conor would remain in the main event but he didn't know if it would be for an interim belt or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

newbbieb wrote: »
    In fairness Conor might KO him early anything is possible,but that statement is ridiculous.Cerrone is 6 1 to Conors 5 9 has a reach as long or longer than Conor which nullifies one of Conors greatest strengths and to say Cowboy an absolutely elite world class kickboxer with way way more experience than Conor will get walked on is beyond naive.

His reach done him the world of good against RDA didn't it? I love Cerrone but he just matches up bad against Conor, he will go to the body and finish it early, it's not naive at all to think that.

shrewdness wrote: »
    Seen an article by Kevin Iole on Yahoo Sports earlier where there were some quotes by Dana. He said Conor would remain in the main event but he didn't know if it would be for an interim belt or not.

Jesus, there's no way in hell there should be an interim title. Absolute joke if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Jesus, there's no way in hell there should be an interim title. Absolute joke if it happens.

Exactly it shouldn't in a million years be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

newbbieb wrote: »

Regarding reach, Conor's reach is 74 in, Cerrone's is 73 in. McGregor still has a reach advantage despite being shorter.

I couldn't dispute the rest of what you said, although I still would fancy Conor to connect with the powerful left hand and get the KO.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

Who will Conor fight now instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Regarding reach, Conor's reach is 74 in, Cerrone's is 73 in. McGregor still has a reach advantage despite being shorter.

I couldn't dispute the rest of what you said, although I still would fancy Conor to connect with the powerful left hand and get the KO.

Not saying Conor wouldn't win but to say its a walkover is strong and is underestimating just how good Cowboy is.

He has a history of choking big fights like the RDA one and letting Diaz get in his head but still his stand up is some of the best in mma and underestimate him at your peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

ceecee14 wrote: »
    Cerrone with another post,

"anyone,anywhere, any time.. Just waiting on a call"

Fair play to him anyway, willing to fight in 2 different divisions in 13 days, says alot about the pussys turning it down

****ing hell. Cowboy publicly states he needs as much money as possible. Every single fighter who has turned it down has fought in the octogon multiple times against work class opponents, yet you can call them "pussys". FFS this thread is ****ing brain dead at times

Yeah that would be a joke and I can't see it happening. The two likely opponents seem to be Cowboy who got destroyed in a title fight in December, and Nate who has won one fight in over 2 years.

What's most interesting is where Conor's fight will be on the card. He's clearly the big draw and if he is co-main there could be a weird atmosphere in the arena for the main event with some people leaving, but on the other hand it would be strange for a non-title fight to be headlining over a title fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I think if a card is advertising as a title fight a title fight has to go ahead or you're entitled to refunds. Anyone know if the main event must be a title fight or does it matter where in the card it's on ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

****ing hell. Cowboy publicly states he needs as much money as possible. Every single fighter who has turned it down has fought in the octogon multiple times against work class opponents, yet you can call them "pussys". FFS this thread is ****ing brain dead at times

Can't even make sense of that..

Aldo says he's staying ready an will fight anywhere anytime.. Time comes, he pussys out. Same for Edgar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement