Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Has the possibility of a Duffy rematch been mentioned? Might be of interest to Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

sonofenoch wrote: »
    What's RDA's history like of pulling out injured? it's slightly curious....possibly strategic, gets a chance to have a look at an unknown potentially very dangerous opponent in the weight class before UFC 200.....if he'd have lost it would have been extremely embarrassing for him....McGregor loses against whoever that fights out the window, he wins at the very least he's had a proper look

Absolute nonsense tbh.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

sonofenoch wrote: »
    It's just a hypothesis .....

"According to multiple sources, dos Anjos suffered a broken left foot last Friday, forcing him to pull out of the lightweight title fight against McGregor. The Brazilian was hoping the injury would get better over the weekend but when it didn't his team had to make the call to cancel the fight on Monday."

how does a fking broken foot heal over the course of a weekend?

They may not have known it was broken on Friday, there may have been too much swelling and gave it the weekend to go down, when a proper scan and examination could be done and the bad news that it is a break be properly revealed.

Course, that being the simplest, most logical, most straightforward answer obviously means it will not enter the heads of some people.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

newbbieb wrote: »
    Not saying Conor wouldn't win but to say its a walkover is strong and is underestimating just how good Cowboy is.

He has a history of choking big fights like the RDA one and letting Diaz get in his head but still his stand up is some of the best in mma and underestimate him at your peril.

I completely agree, Cerrone most certainly is no walkover. Very convincing sub victory on Sunday, which is an element of his game that does not get talked about enough.
    shrewdness wrote:
    Yeah that would be a joke and I can't see it happening. The two likely opponents seem to be Cowboy who got destroyed in a title fight in December, and Nate who has won one fight in over 2 years.

I honestly can see this happening. I can completely see the reasons why it shouldn't though. I think the UFC will want to hype up the new fight as much as possible and will consider the interim belt as being necessary to do so. Then add in the fact that they will want to keep Conor top of the card and not disrespect the women's 135lb title fight. Let's see what they come out with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Goose81 wrote: »
    Do you know what begrudgery means? How is him complaining about the length of fight time begrudgery

Yes, it is the envy and resentment of someone else's successes or possessions, resulting in little to no credit being given as a result. Trying to downplay McGregor's achievements and the sport in general (on an MMA forum of all places) because he wins his fights too quickly/convincingly pretty much fits the description like a glove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

I wouldn't be surprised if they create another interim belt for him, they did it before they will take that option over having him pull out of the event regardless of how absolutely ridiculous it will be. They can brush it off in multiple ways, "unfair to the fans cause the pull out was so close, they were promised a title match and we will not let them down" being just one.

There is literally no fight that makes sense right now and the only thing that does is him missing the even too, he will not want that to happen himself. Now you can fool yourself into thinking its cause he doesnt want to let the fans who travelled over down, and you can be sure he will play up to that, but for the most part it is because he loves money, and he will be well compensated for staying on the card, and he will be able to use it when they are negotiating %'s for the next fight too.

Cowboy seems the most likely right now, good for his warrior image also taking 2 fights so close together and he saves face a little when he (most likely) gets beat but he would make the interim belt even more ridiculous as he got spanked going for the belt a couple of months ago!

The weak ass card is going to bite them in the ass here, and I'm delighted for them. No outcome is a particularly good one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

ceecee14 wrote: »
    Fair play to him anyway, willing to fight in 2 different divisions in 13 days, says alot about the pussys turning it down

Fair play to Cerrone? The only reason hes looking for the fight is the pay day, as Raze said Cerrone isnt shy about saying he needs money. He goes through it like there is no tomorrow spending it on a wild lifestyle.

A Cerrone fight makes no sense, its not a fight they can really hype that much in such a short time. Cerrone wouldn't be able to bring the hype or smack talk to rescue the event. It's not a fight I personally would be that excited to see, Conor beats him easy enough with body shots and gets the KO unless Cowboy tries to take it to the ground but I doubt it stays there and Conor still wins.

Nate Diaz is a much better fight for the UFC, Diaz and McGregor would hype it up no end and the smack talk between them would have people excited to see the fight even though chances are it also ends in the first round.

In terms of the fight themselves it makes very little difference as the outcome for both is most likely Conor wins so it comes down to which they can get fans more excited about and that's Diaz.

As for an interim title, it would be an absolute joke to go down that route. If they want to hype the fight the answer is Nate Diaz and just create the hype around that. Not to create a needless interim title fight to try keep Conor top of the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

dave1982 wrote: »
    I think if a card is advertising as a title fight a title fight has to go ahead or you're entitled to refunds. Anyone know if the main event must be a title fight or does it matter where in the card it's on ?

The change to main event at all would entitle people to a refund no LW champ in Dos Anjos means people are entitled to refunds. It's the PPV hit is their main concern.

An interim belt in this instance here would baffling, Conor isn't even ranked in the division, Khabib Ferguson etc would have to be fighting him not who's likely Cerrone,Diaz. Also think if it's not title it should be co main or not risk a fight which would obviously gutting for travelling fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Faber throws his name in the hat.
    Urijah Faber ‏@UrijahFaber 18m18 minutes ago California, USA
    I have a real hard time turning down a good time. Opportunity knocks...my door is open ���� @ufc…;

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCJFKZ1s4mJ/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Has the possibility of a Duffy rematch been mentioned? Might be of interest to Conor.

No chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Could UFC not have the Jones/Cormier fight as the main card for UFC 196 and reschedule Conor v RDA for UFC 197?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

Gamb!t wrote:
    Could UFC not have the Jones/Cormier fight as the main card for UFC 196 and reschedule Conor v RDA for UFC 197?

RDA won't be back in a month, an Conor won't fight so close to 200 surley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yeah 28-0 kickboxing record with a 29-7 mma record with over 20 UFC fights against the elite of the elite,but nice kicks poor boxing,Conor runs over him in the first round,would you listen to yourself.

I am a big Conor fan but wise up man,Cowboy would be the best striker without question he has faced in his career and would also be bigger and probably stronger than him,not saying he can't win but it is a challenge to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

TheTownie wrote: »
    Faber throws his name in the hat.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCJFKZ1s4mJ/

Aw man that never even entered my mind, that would be my choice, hands down. Finish what TUF started. Conor would obviously have the size advantage but it would be a fun fight, easy, but fun none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

ceecee14 wrote: »
    RDA won't be back in a month, an Conor won't fight so close to 200 surley

Is his leg broken or just a bad sprain ?

They could always push 200 out to later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Gamb!t wrote: »

That's one thing that simply can not happen. UFC 200 is the cornerstone of Fight Week 2016, they've already started lining events up for that weekend, it would be pretty much impossible to move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Jose Garcia posted Diaz got the fight, going to be an annoying couple of hours until something is confirmed.

Khabib :pac:
    khabib nurmagomedov ‏@TeamKhabib 54m54 minutes ago
    UFC does not want me to fight Connor because they said the time I fought was 2 thousand years ago and I fought Bears!!!��

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

Gamb!t wrote:

Gamb!t wrote:

It's a break, not sure which bone but doctor told him he can't put any pressure on it for 3 weeks minimum.

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    Jose Garcia posted Diaz got the fight, going to be an annoying couple of hours until something is confirmed.

He jumped the gun apparently...
    Michael Mardones ‏@LayzieTheSavage 28m28 minutes ago
    No. Fight isn't on yet. I think Jose just got excited.

Michael Mardones ‏@LayzieTheSavage 21m21 minutes ago
    There's a possibility of a catch weight at 165lbs.

Tweet from Jeremy Botter suggests its Diaz.

Jeremy Botter ‏@jeremybotter 5 mins5 minutes ago
    Don't have 100% confirmation, but looks like Nate Diaz is going to be the guy that fights McGregor at UFC 196. Which is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

newbbieb wrote:
    Jeremy Botter â€@jeremybotter 2m2 minutes ago Don't have 100% confirmation, but looks like Nate Diaz is going to be the guy that fights McGregor at UFC 196. Which is awesome.

Please please please please

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Diaz would be the perfect matchup for McGregor IMO. He'll stand and trade but McGregor will be able to pick him apart. Technique wise, Conor is on another planet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Have to laugh at people saying Diaz is an easier fight than cowboy,you do realise Nate absolutely lit up Cowboy up like a christmas tree,what ever about either of their chances they would be the best fighters conor has ever fought outside of 13 secs with Aldo,

And both are very decent grapplers even tho their known as strikers Id be happy to see either fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Conor must be LOVING the way everyones throwing themselves on the line to fight him.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Layzie the savage now saying the offer is too low for Nate to get down to 155 in 12 days and ufc won't have conor fighting at 165 catch weight.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Have to laugh at people saying Diaz is an easier fight than cowboy,you do realise Nate absolutely lit up Cowboy up like a christmas tree,what ever about either of their chances they would be the best fighters conor has ever fought outside of 13 secs with Aldo,

And both are very decent grapplers even tho their known as strikers Id be happy to see either fight.

Agree completely both are dangerous fights and i don't see this being easier than Cowboy at all.

It goes over my head how everyone writes both them off as easy fights,Diaz is a monster 155er he really is,and struggles to get down to 155 so they will likely make a catchweight because i doubt he can get down to 55 in a week and half.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Gamebred wrote: »

Imitation McGregor has the fight game on its knees. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement