Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Conor also has Conan tomorrow on top of media call. Surely will have to be sorted before them.
    Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 3m3 minutes ago
    Important to note: McGregor is scheduled to have a media day in LA tomorrow + do an intv w/ Conan. Ideal 4 all to have his opponent by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Expecting Conor McGregor to show up on the 5th of March with no opponent set, he's standing in the octagon waiting to see who it is, and CM Punk jumps over the cage and nails him with a chair to become the new, undisputed king of the UFC.

Or he'll fight Cerrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I recall mystic predicting this waaay back

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

martyos121 wrote: »
    Expecting Conor McGregor to show up on the 5th of March with no opponent set, he's standing in the octagon waiting to see who it is, and CM Punk jumps over the cage and nails him with a chair to become the new, undisputed king of the UFC.

Or he'll fight Cerrone.

Mystery opponent does seem the way to go.

Announce its Brock Saturday morning and watch the Internet explode.
    Weight classes me arse, that fight would do ppv numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Really he should be fighting Edgar for the FW title now, but with Conor preparing for 155 it's not a possibility.

• Advertisement

Don't think it was posted but Conor became the third UFC fighter to be on the cover of Sports Illustrated this week.

SI article here with a few Q&As with Conor which are excerpts of a video interview SI are releasing tomorrow.

Cb6cpsBWAAAhJ9z.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

What time is it in UFC HQ now? I'm losing hope of any announcement tonight anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

ceecee14 wrote: »
    What time is it in UFC HQ now? I'm losing hope of any announcement tonight anyway?

3.45pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

I'm starting to sway towards it being put off till 200,its the sensible decision at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Really he should be fighting Edgar for the FW title now, but with Conor preparing for 155 it's not a possibility.

Edgar is hurt too. Cerrone might be the only realistic option. He's been in camp & this fight is on 2 weeks notice.
    Are any welterweights looking for the fight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Edgar is injured.

newbbieb wrote: »
    I'm starting to sway towards it being put off till 200,its the sensible decision at this point.

Too much at stake for both the UFC and McGregor. It looks like they are trying hard to make the Diaz fight happen. If Diaz fails to agree they'll give it to Cerrone and he'll happily take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Conor must be absolutely seething.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Wiki

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Cowboy currently weighs 174 according to his camp.
    Should be no issue getting to 155 from there if true.
    sonofenoch wrote: »
    What's RDA's history like of pulling out injured? it's slightly curious....possibly strategic, gets a chance to have a look at an unknown potentially very dangerous opponent in the weight class before UFC 200....
    You realize that Conor has has 21 fights, 7 in the UFC.
    How in god's name is he an unknown opponent for RDA
    Am I the only person here that's concerned about dos anjos pulling out because of doping issues and just blames a "broken foot".

Not the first time the ufc would cover up a doping violation
    The UFC don't so the testing anymore, in fact they never did in Nevada.
    If there's a violation, USADA will come out and say it. And pulling out doesn't prevent USADA turning up and testing him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Wiki

Means nothing, anyone can log it and edit it.
    In fact it's been changed already;

wX3cNaD.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Tazzimus wrote: »
    That I wouldn't agree with. The Diaz brothers have cardio for days, they're ridiculously fit, more so I'd imagine than anyone in the UFC.

I don't know many other fighters that do triathlons for the craic.

One look at the Diaz brothers' physiques across their career tells me all I need to know about their commitment to training or their so-called other-worldly cardio. I love the way people spout this shîte about triathlons and marathons being for super fit elite athletes, when the reality is any one with a basic level of fitness can get around a marathon, and anyone with a basic level of fitness who can also ride a bike and swim, can do triathlons. Tell me Nate can run a sub 34min 10k and I'd be a lot more impressed. Joe Rogan's hyperbole has a lot to do with how this myth came about IMO.

The fact is both brothers love smoking the good stuff, which is not conducive to promoting cardiovascular excellence. Also, they have both shown up for fights looking flabby, which for tall, rangy fighters is a sure sign that they don't stay in shape year-round.

Conor, on the other hand, is always in good shape and takes his profession seriously. He's also been training for this fight date. He will have a huge advantage if it goes past 2 rounds. Which it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

TheTownie wrote: »
    Too much at stake for both the UFC and McGregor. It looks like they are trying hard to make the Diaz fight happen. If Diaz fails to agree they'll give it to Cerrone and he'll happily take it.

Why not just f*cking give it to Cerrone then!! He's willing to fight and can make weight! If McGregor can destroy him like RDA did, that would show Conor belongs in LW and brings the hype of Conor vs. RDA to a new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

darced wrote: »
    You think Cerrone is a better striker than Aldo? I honestly cant remember Cerrone ever hurting anyone decent with a punch. He has fought 4 top strikers, Barboza should have finished him and RDA, Pettis and Diaz all dismantled him. I dont like Conor at all by the way but he would make cowboy look foolish in the stand up.

You're confusing power with good striking.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

One look at the Diaz brothers' physiques across their career tells me all I need to know about their commitment to training or their so-called other-worldly cardio. I love the way people spout this shîte about triathlons and marathons being for super fit elite athletes, when the reality is any one with a basic level of fitness can get around a marathon, and anyone with a basic level of fitness who can also ride a bike and swim, can do triathlons. Tell me Nate can run a sub 34min 10k and I'd be a lot more impressed. Joe Rogan's hyperbole has a lot to do with how this myth came about IMO.

The fact is both brothers love smoking the good stuff, which is not conducive to promoting cardiovascular excellence. Also, they have both shown up for fights looking flabby, which for tall, rangy fighters is a sure sign that they don't stay in shape year-round.

Conor, on the other hand, is always in good shape and takes his profession seriously. He's also been training for this fight date. He will have a huge advantage if it goes past 2 rounds. Which it won't.

Some absolute garbage spouted here for mma fighters they are serious cardio athletes Nick Diaz has swam Alcatraz 5 times he does triathlons for fun,pair of them on their day can hang with any fighter on the planet I think its you smoking that good stuff.

Kicking is striking man,striking is both hands and feet,and Cowboy is easily a more refined striker than Aldo i don't think much people would dispute that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

You're confusing power with good striking.

darced wrote:

Yer both confusing me.

A good striker is someone that's accurate and powerful, surly?

Aldo is twice the striker Cowboy is IMO,his boxing in the pocket is a thing of beauty,Goat fight aside obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Gamebred wrote: »
    Some absolute garbage spouted here for mma fighters they are serious cardio athletes Nick Diaz has swam Alcatraz 5 times he does triathlons for fun,pair of them on their day can hang with any fighter on the planet I think its you smoking that good stuff.

Did you even read my post?

Doing a triathlon does not make you an elite athlete. Doing multiple triathlons 'for fun' certainly does not make you an elite athlete. Thousands of people do triathlons for fun every weekend; elites get paid to do them.

Swimming to Alcatraz is certainly more of a challenge, but it's still just a: 'move for xyz distance in an undetermined amount of time' type of challenge. It would be like if I walked for 26.2 miles and then called myself a decent marathoner.

Gamebred wrote: »

I think he has a fair point,because if what your saying is so true what happened Nate in his Dos Anjos fight he missed weight and was well out of shape there no doubt about that.

Did you even read my post?

Doing a triathlon does not make you an elite athlete. Doing multiple triathlons 'for fun' certainly does not make you an elite athlete. Thousands of people do triathlons for fun every weekend; elites get paid to do them.

Swimming to Alcatraz is certainly more of a challenge, but it's still just a: 'move for xyz distance in an undetermined amount of time' type of challenge. It would be like if I walked for 26.2 miles and then called myself a decent marathoner.

Not saying doing a triathlon makes some olympic athelete but were talking mma here,its very unusual for people fighting in mma to have the cardio they have,go back and watch any his fights Nick especially doesnt take a step back pressure upon pressure no one has an easy fight with him its clearly not hyperbole when people credit his cardio.

• Advertisement

I think you have to take into consideration the level of competition,the smaller weight divisions were only introduced into the UFC in more recent times and they mostly have been pretty thin on talent with not massive interest in them divisions.

The competition Cowboy went through is on a completely different level than Aldo faced,yeah he faced guys like Kenny Florian,Frankie,Mendes and a few more real elite fighters but Cerrone has just been through everyone imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement