Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

newbbieb wrote: »
    I think you have to take into consideration the level of competition,the smaller weight divisions were only introduced into the UFC in more recent times and they mostly have been pretty thin on talent with not massive interest in them divisions.

The competition Cowboy went through is on a completely different level than Aldo faced,yeah he faced guys Kenny Florian,Frankie,Mendes and a few more real elite fighters but Cerrone has just been through everyone imo.

Cowboy has lost to the best of them though where as Aldo has never really looked like losing a fight bar mendes 2 and conor,its down to personal interpertation but I'd rank Aldo as a much more precise striker his muay thai is some of the best ever in mma,cowboy headkicks people beautifully but he struggles badly with southpaws he was made look amatuer by many Diaz Pettis and RDA included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gamebred wrote: »
    Some absolute garbage spouted here for mma fighters they are serious cardio athletes Nick Diaz has swam Alcatraz 5 times he does triathlons for fun,pair of them on their day can hang with any fighter on the planet I think its you smoking that good stuff.

The Alcatraz swim isn't particularly difficult. When I was living the San Fran, I seen the "Athletes" who were doing it, most were older ocean swim types.

Doing triathlons for "fun" for exactly the point. The majority of the fields at these events (that I've seen) are just doing them for fun and aren't pushing out amazing times.

There's a huge difference between completing competing in run/swim/tri events regularly, and being competitive in those events.

For the record, I've no idea how competitive the Diaz brothers are, maybe they are elite and if so deserve credit. But I agree that they don't get credit just for turning up.
    I love the way people spout this shîte about triathlons and marathons being for super fit elite athletes, when the reality is any one with a basic level of fitness can get around a marathon, and anyone with a basic level of fitness who can also ride a bike and swim, can do triathlons. Tell me Nate can run a sub 34min 10k and I'd be a lot more impressed.
    Their times should be available online. I've no idea what counts as a good time, and what's a "weekend warrior" time.

Found these with a quick google. No idea how they stack up.

Swim Bike Run Total
    XTERRA Tahoe City 0:24:09 1:59:47 0:56:13 3:20:09
    (off road triathalon) 1500m 35.4km 10km

XTERRA Real Mountain Bike 00:17:25 1:24:56 0:35:07 2:17:28
    800m 25.75km 6.4km

source:http://totalbodyfitness.com/site/results/xterra-real-triathlon-2015/
    http://www.adventuresportsweektahoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/xtc-overall12.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Cowboy has lost to the best of them though where as Aldo has never really looked like losing a fight bar mendes 2 and conor,its down to personal interpertation but I'd rank Aldo as a much more precise striker his muay thai is some of the best ever in mma,cowboy headkicks people beautifully but he struggles badly with southpaws he was made look amatuer by many Diaz Pettis and RDA included.

Agree to disagree,but like you say its can be all down to what one personally likes etc and an argument like that could go on all night.

On another note what you guys think of Bisping labelling Conor lucky and putting his winning record down to luck of drawing fighters on short camps.

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/02/after-latest-opponent-injury-bisping-labels-mcgregor-one-of-the-luckiest-men-in-mma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Aldos list of scalps is in a different league to Cerrones.

Benson Henderson is the only real top notcher he's beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think you have to take into consideration the level of competition,the smaller weight divisions were only introduced into the UFC in more recent times and they mostly have been pretty thin on talent with not massive interest in them divisions.
    Lack of interest does not mean lack of talent. Those divisions have been around in some form for over 10 years at this point, the UFC picking them up only made the division tougher as fighters dropped.
    Suggesting there's a lower level of competition at 145 is utterly retarded. Are people's memories really that short? 10 years undefeated counts for nothing I guess

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »

He didnt even beat Benson,it was a bad decision,Bendo choked him out before too I think,his best win of late is probably Barboza taking nothing away from him hes a top fighter just not elite elite.

Mellor wrote: »
    Lack of interest does not mean lack of talent. Those divisions have been around in some form for over 10 years at this point, the UFC picking them up only made the division tougher as fighters dropped.
    Suggesting there's a lower level of competition at 145 is utterly retarded. Are people's memories really that short? 10 years undefeated counts for nothing I guess

Your absolutely mixed up if you think 145 was ever close to the pool of talent in 155 almost always one of the heaviest pools of talent in the UFC.

Jesus to call me retarded for stating something obvious,that almost everyone knows except you,goes to show your retardedness more than mine .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Ariel saying he expects it to be announced tonight and signs pointing to it being Diaz.
    Tougher fight for Conor than RDA if he is in shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

Apparently his opponent will be announced on sportcenter at 4am Irish time. Helwani reckons its diaz too #209

Yeah its Diaz Helwani nose,hope its not for a belt.

• Advertisement

Yeah its Diaz Helwani nose,hope its not for a belt.

I don't think they will,i think most people can accept it has to be main event without making an interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

bur wrote: »
    Ariel saying he expects it to be announced tonight and signs pointing to it being Diaz.

In no way shape or form on any planet is Diaz a harder fight for Conor than RDA.

Diaz is a dream styles matchup for Conor. A volume boxer who doesn't hit with much power.

RDA was the worst styles match up possible for Conor.

mdwexford wrote: »

Again i wasn't really saying he was better than Aldo,obviously all around Aldo has beaten a whos who but most of who he beat were other well rounded fighters like Mendes,Faber,Frankie etc by being better than them in every department.

But for just pure striking i don't believe he is has faced a lot of very elite strikers was mostly my point.

Cerrone has far more experience both through mma and kickboxing of facing elite strikers,i get his all around game isn't at Aldo's level,never was but his striking is superior,matter of opinion off course.

Again i wasn't really saying he was better than Aldo,obviously all around Aldo has beaten a whos who but most of who he beat were other well rounded fighters like Mendes,Faber,Frankie etc by being better than them in every department.

But for just pure striking i don't believe he is has faced a lot of very elite strikers was mostly my point.

Cerrone has far more experience both through mma and kickboxing of facing elite strikers,i get his all around game isn't at Aldo's level,never was but his striking is superior,matter of opinion off course.

I will concede one thing to you,the first elite strike he really fought he lasted 13 seconds,again its down to personal opinion on there things,

The Diaz fight is not for a title thank god,hopefully Nate is in good shape as Diaz Bro fan boy im glad hes getting a nice pay packet,weigh in will be fireworks.

I will concede one thing to you,the first elite strike he really fought he lasted 13 seconds,again its down to personal opinion on there things,

The Diaz fight is not for a title thank god,hopefully Nate is in good shape as Diaz Bro fan boy im glad hes getting a nice pay packet,weigh in will be fireworks.

Is it confirmed somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Yeah, it's looking like Conor vs Nate now. An out and out FUN Fight! definitely helps with the pain of Dos Anjos pulling out. D12 vs 209 B1tches!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Go Tobban

Tougher fight? Not even close

It is a completely different stylistic match up but tougher? No way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

newbbieb wrote:
    Is it confirmed somewhere?

As good as confirmed going by twitter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Fight with Diaz confirmed (as expected) according to bjpenn.com but weight class not yet confirmed. Not for an interim title. So all in all the right fight considering the circumstances and trying to keep the hype around the event. Looking forward to the smack talk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Axwell wrote: »
    Fight with Diaz confirmed (as expected) according to bjpenn.com but weight class not yet confirmed. Not for an interim title. So all in all the right fight considering the circumstances and trying to keep the hype around the event. Looking forward to the smack talk!

Confirmed by BJPenn.com. I can't help but doubt that a small bit. Very unlike a click bait website to break an unconfirmed story for ad revenue?

Pretty sure the author is a close friend of the Diaz clan or something along those lines

ps3man wrote: »
    Confirmed by BJPenn.com. I can't help but doubt that a small bit. Very unlike a click bait website to break an unconfirmed story for ad revenue?

Yeah i kinda agree with you that site is pure trash,but on the other side of it i seen recently Diaz out with Bj in Hawaii and they seem fairly tight,so he would have some access to some of the Diaz people.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

ps3man wrote: »

Doubt it or not the fact is it was pretty much always logically going to be Diaz imo so its not really a surprise if and when other sources confirm it. It makes the most sense at this late stage for the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Go Tobban wrote: »

Nate is a thousand times easier, in terms of style and ability. Not even close.

It's a standup fight with Nate, which obviously suits Conor. He's got slick BJJ but his wrestling has never been good. Conor cracks him at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

There is no chance in hell that Conor will pull for the following reasons:

1) The idea of this being risky does not seem to enter his head, it's just not in his mind set - to him, he can beat anyone at any time. It is this mentality that separates him from the pack to be fair.

2) Look at how many Irish people (including myself) are heading over for the fight - there is no way he will let down the fans by pulling out.

3) He stands to earn a lot of money for this fight, even if the PPV buys are down, what he will earn for this fight is substantially more than most people will earn in our entire lifetime of working (if reports on what he has earned previously are to be believed)!!!

4) If he pulls, the UFC stand to lose a bus load of money - the card is far from being the best card UFC have ever put together and McGregor is the big draw. Without him, the card is nothing.

Agree RE the above. Also I think, pyschologically, he will still want to complete the step up to 155 by beating someone at the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Axwell wrote: »
    Doubt it or not the fact is it was pretty much always logically going to be Diaz imo so its not really a surprise if and when other sources confirm it. It makes the most sense at this late stage for the UFC.

I just have an issue with websites that run with rumours like they are facts. Truth is nobody other than CMG, Diaz and the UFC brass no exactly whats happening. Anyone who knows that site knows what they are like, to those who don't they see that report as pure factual, especially when people share it around. For someone who did ethics in journalism in college it bothers me a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Go Tobban wrote: »

Thanks for breaking it down for me. Really enlightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Go Tobban

Thanks for breaking it down for me. Really enlightening.

Well maybe I should have just asked how, in any way, is it a tougher match up after you said: ''Tougher fight for Conor than RDA if he is in shape''

• Advertisement

Its official. Diaz v McGregor.. at welterweight

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement