Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Bigger deal is that it's at 170lbs... Opens door for going for any of the 3 titles at 200

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

Cant imagine him holding featherweight and WW titles at the same time? Just seems super weird, dont see him fighting for WW title without holding the LW title and relinquishing the FW one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

This fight is going to be insane. I cannot wait.

Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz will mark the first time since UFC 51 in February 2005 that a non-title fight headlines over a title fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Well after RDA pulling out it was a really sh*t day but the Nate Diaz news is great! Its the fight I wanted to see. With Diaz in the main event hopefully shouldn't be any problems getting rid of as ticket now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

It shouldn't be at WW, catchweight if anything. It'll be good to see them both fresh though.

UFC 196 Media event and open workouts tomorrow and both of them will be at it, let the smack talk begin!! Event is on at 10.30am PT

Cb86_61XEAASESj.jpg

It shouldn't be at WW, catchweight if anything. It'll be good to see them both fresh though.

Diaz wanted it at 165 because 160 or 155 was too much of a cut. It was Conor that said go with 170.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

A reigning champ is fighting 2 weight classes above his title weight on short notice.

He has some set of balls.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Axwell wrote: »
    Diaz wanted it at 165 because 160 or 155 was too much of a cut. It was Conor that said go with 170.

Sounds like there's going to be no cut, or a very little weight cut involved for both fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Brilliant. Can't wait for this.

Though I have to admit, for sure I thought when Diaz was calling out Conor a while back, he had no hope getting the fight... And when he called him out in the ring and had to be cut off by Rogan for his swearing on live tv I thought he'd blown even the tiny chance he had.
    I'd say right now he feels like he's won the lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

newbbieb wrote: »
    Your absolutely mixed up if you think 145 was ever close to the pool of talent in 155 almost always one of the heaviest pools of talent in the UFC.

Jesus to call me retarded for stating something obvious,that almost everyone knows except you,goes to show your retardedness more than mine .
    I never said anything about the entire 155 division. How is the entire division relevant. We are talking about those that Cowboy has beaten.
    You said Cowboy has 20 fights against the elite of the elite, the majority of his fights were not against the division elite. And he hasn't been through everyone or else he's be champion. He's beaten some top guys no doubt, but he also fought a lot of mid-tier guys. Adraino Martins, KJ Noons, etc. But obviously I'm not forgetting guys likes Bendo, Alvarez, Barboza either.

He's fought in 5 titles fight between the UFC and WEC, and lost 5 times.
    Aldo fought in and won 10 consecutive title fights. I know the comparison was was their striking striking specifically and not fighting overall, but I don't think Aldo has had better success due to his better groundwork. He heavily favoured striking in his entire career;
    Cowboy has had 37 fights. Winning 5 by KO/TKO
    Aldo had 27, winning 14 by KO/TKO
    Cerrone's highlight reel doesn't come close to Aldo's tbh.

I just think it's weird you said nobody would dispute that Cowboy is a better striker than Aldo. The fact that 4 or 5 people disputed it straight away kinda proves my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Bigger deal is that it's at 170lbs... Opens door for going for any of the 3 titles at 200
    Not really imo.
    He is fighting a LW at WW, which is hugely different to fighting a WW.
    A reigning champ is fighting 2 weight classes above his title weight on short notice.

Fighting Nate at 170 is virtually no different to fighting him at 155. Nate's not a welterweight, he's probably just carrying too much to get to 155 in 10 days. Conor will be far better shape of the two and maybe even the bigger fighter. I'd assume he'll need to cut a little to make 170.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Yeah, it's just a lightweight fight without a weight cut. Can't wait though.

Diaz has good hands and a serious chin on him, but he hasn't fought a striker like Conor. If it goes to a decision it could be close, but Conor should crack him at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

The Dub is fighting Nate Diaz!

Come on Diaz!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

is the Diaz fight 100% confirmed ? This isint going to be an easy fight by any means ( im not saying conor wont win) but Diaz did go the length with dos anjos and only lost on decision :)

Fighting someone with a serious height advantage on him too. Not too different in the reach department but Diaz still has a longer reach.

I watched the Dos Anjos vs Diaz fight and Diaz let Dos Anjos move around so much. All in all it was an easy fight relatively speaking for Dos Anjos. Diaz doesn't really move all that much and while he has a very good chin, his boxing really didn't pose much of a threat to Dos Anjos who caught a good few and still looked fresh throughout the fight. I would expect McGregor to cruise through this comfortably enough.

If McGregor KO's him early, it really will show just how hard he hits, Diaz really does have a serious chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

pudzey101 wrote: »
    is the Diaz fight 100% confirmed ? This isint going to be an easy fight by any means ( im not saying conor wont win) but Diaz did go the length with dos anjos and only lost on decision :)
    Yep confirmed. I think it is certainly one of the better matchups for Mcgregor.

Say what you like about him but stepping up from 145 to 170 is ballsy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

If he looses this which is possible going by the law of average what's next?

Still title shot at 155?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 JoeK20

newbbieb wrote: »
    In fairness Conor might KO him early anything is possible,but that statement is ridiculous.Cerrone is 6 1 to Conors 5 9 has a reach as long or longer than Conor which nullifies one of Conors greatest strengths and to say Cowboy an absolutely elite world class kickboxer with way way more experience than Conor will get walked on is beyond naive.

Is he an elite world class kickboxer??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Dana White ‏@danawhite 3h3 hours ago
    . @thenotoriousmma vs Nate Diaz Saturday March 5th on PPV!!!

I don't know, I see you're all excited and it's a fight I suppose but I don't see how fighting a top 5'er at best is a good match up and I love how DANA tells everyone it's the fight we all want to see?? eh, NO the one we paid for is the one we want to see, this is fantasy football!

I thought rory McDonald threw diaz around like a ragdoll, rory would have been a fight I'd like to see at welter, Vs McGregor!! pure strategy.

could be a very short night and conor could adapt to the weight in the same way Anderson silva did and it never hindered him at all. I never fancied diaz as a good boxer, only as a guy with good range and half decent boxing.

in terms of striking, I believe he should be outclassed but I do now think conor was a huge man at 145, a fighter in the land of jockeys!!

he's fighting taller meatier guys now and they're not holding back in a spar either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Still think it's a farce Nate Diaz fighting after a title fight but at least the lads heading over still have Conor there. It's just a coincidence it happens to be the women's 135 title too the sad story is I reckon with the exception of Jones DC they'd probably undermine every title and have Conor headline over every title fight there is at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Conor with no weight cut is a scary scary prospect to be facing I can imagine the power he is going to generate wit that 'celtic cross'.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Conor with no weight cut is a scary scary prospect to be facing I can imagine the power he is going to generate wit that 'celtic cross'.

yeah I do agree, I wouldn't be saying it's a definite victory but I think looking at how drained he was fighting mendes, then his head was wrecked with all the media and change up of opponent, he did brilliant to come through that.
    he seems in abetter place and all full of steak etc, it's not like he's to go through the same again. in saying that, look at what happened the rousey, not taking any fighter seriously can be hazardous to your health.

now with no weight cut, yeah he should be a beast unleashed and as Diaz favours the stand up, zero strategy, it should be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Fight will be over very early i reckon .

It will still be entertaining for the people going

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Finally! Someone who will be able to give Conor a proper response to the slagging, this is gonna be epic! I know neither are fighting WW's but if Conor can win definitively, which I think he will, he will have the mindset to take the WW belt no problem and will open new doors for him. All in all, genius move by the UFC.

Also, in regards to them main eventing over a title fight, i'm totally okay with it as that is who the people will be paying to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

kinda of crazy that since December he will be fighting 30 pounds heavier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I like this match up for a few reasons

entertainment value
    I don't believe cowboy would have made it past a couple of minutes so am
    glad that match up didnt happen
    diaz has a better chin and could imo last a round which we will all enjoy

wouldnt it be some craic if diaz somehow beat the ufc cashcow
    I would have loved it if it were nick though, damn near impossible to finish

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement