Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Nate at 170 is at least interesting, not sure it will make much difference to the outcome, and still shouldn't be a main event over a title fight but interesting or sure!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

diaz has a 76 inch reach , 2 inches more than conor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I don't follow the game that closely but jumping two weights seems a bit mad to me???!

Is this a regular thing?

Analyst were saying going up to Rafael's weight might be tough - then surely going up 2 weights is crazy yet no one seems to be discussing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Nowhere near as good as the RDA match up, but it'll be a fun couple of days in the lead up I guess with the thrash talk but as a fight it's a no brainer...literally.

Diaz can be entertaining sure , but he often lacks a game plan and just wants to stand and trade all day , strong chin yes but Conor will KO him no doubt , maybe even very early in the fight. Diaz will let is go to his head and go out swinging , looking for the big giant killing win and get clocked.

No way Diaz wins this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I don't follow the game that closely but jumping two weights seems a bit mad to me???!

Is this a regular thing?

Analyst were saying going up to Rafael's weight might be tough - then surely going up 2 weights is crazy yet no one seems to be discussing it.

Diaz isn't built for 170. He is built for 155. He is however carrying flab as he is between fights out of shape and in a short camp he doesn't have time to lose it.

Its not like fighting a real 170 fighter.

Or maybe Diaz has built himself for 170 and is planning on surprising everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Is this a regular thing?

for all intents and purposes, this is still a lightweight fight. As Nate isn't in camp he's a little heavier than he would be at this stage so asked for a catch weight of 160 or 165. Conor just said let's just do it at 170 so basically no weight cut for anyone.

He's not fighting a welterweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Nick Diaz and John Kavanagh to start a brawl at the end of the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

for all intents and purposes, this is still a lightweight fight. As Nate isn't in camp he's a little heavier than he would be at this stage so asked for a catch weight of 160 or 165. Conor just said let's just do it at 170 so basically no weight cut for anyone.

That explains that so!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

pudzey101 wrote: »
    is the Diaz fight 100% confirmed ? This isint going to be an easy fight by any means ( im not saying conor wont win) but Diaz did go the length with dos anjos and only lost on decision :)
    Appears to be 100% confirmed

As for the bolded part. He lost by the decision, but there's no other way to lose if you go the distance.
    It's wasn't a close decision, he lost every round iirc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Nate asked for 165..it was the UFC who asked for 160, after asking for 155. Nate wouldnt budge and said he could only do 165. Conor then said lets just do 170.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Is this a regular thing?

Going up to Rafaels weight wouldnt be tough, dont know what analysts were saying that - he isnt technically moving up in the physical sense as he walks around heavier. Its a move up in weight class from what he was fighting at previously in the UFC but really its about weight cuts. Conor was making big weight cuts to get down to FW from his normal walk around weight. To get down to LW is a much easier weight cut for him and much more natural. Its an easier job for him not a tougher one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Nowhere near as good as the RDA match up, but it'll be a fun couple of days in the lead up I guess with the thrash talk but as a fight it's a no brainer...literally.

Diaz can be entertaining sure , but he often lacks a game plan and just wants to stand and trade all day , strong chin yes but Conor will KO him no doubt , maybe even very early in the fight. Diaz will let is go to his head and go out swinging , looking for the big giant killing win and get clocked.

No way Diaz wins this one.

The optimism around here is infectious,but how you manage to be in no doubt that Conor will KO someone who has only been stopped only once before and who has fights at ww against monsters like Rory who couldn't stop him,but Conor ko's him without doubt in your mind,i hope your right man,i really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Anybody know why Aldo turned it down? The weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Ufc should really have someone training when a.big fight.is coming up so.they.can stand in.

Diaz.is at a massive.disadvantage with short notice. Like mendes was.

Ruins the fight if ya.know one.fighter has full camp.and the other is getting two week.notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Ufc should really have someone training when a.big fight.is coming up so.they.can stand in.

Diaz.is at a massive.disadvantage with short notice. Like mendes was.

Ruins the fight if ya.know one.fighter has full camp.and the other is getting two week.notice.

Surely most of these guys are training away in the hope of being asked to stand in?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Axwell wrote: »
    Going up to Rafaels weight wouldnt be tough, dont know what analysts were saying that - he isnt technically moving up in the physical sense as he walks around heavier. Its a move up in weight class from what he was fighting at previously in the UFC but really its about weight cuts. Conor was making big weight cuts to get down to FW from his normal walk around weight. To get down to LW is a much easier weight cut for him and much more natural. Its an easier job for him not a tougher one.
    I don't think he meant that physically moving to 155 would have been tough. But rather facing the 155 champion was taking on a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

newbbieb wrote: »
    The optimism around here is infectious,but how you manage to be in no doubt that Conor will KO someone who has only been stopped only once before and who has fights at ww against monsters like Rory who couldn't stop him,but Conor ko's him without doubt in your mind,i hope your right man,i really do.

Aldo.

Conor will KO him, less than two week camp and I just don't think he's a great fight , good...not great.

You can't expect guys to be training to be ready for a fight all year round, it just isn't reasonable. Looking for back ups etc would be the right way to go though, making two matches with similar quality fighters in the same weight classes for the same card would be a good way to do it so if someone drops out in the more important fight you have someone ready to come in with a full camp, albeit still not perfect since he would be preparing for one type of opponent and possibly facing another style altogether. No scenario is going to be perfect obviously.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Aldo.

Conor will KO him, less than two week camp and I just don't think he's a great fight , good...not great.

I actually agree, I don't think Nate should pose many problems at all, he is a handy keep fit get rich fight for Conor. An easy target to hit, likes to stand and trade and doesn't use very good movement.

It will look like a good fight though you would hope as long as his chin holds up, but I see him being stopped at some point in the fight and don't expect Conor to be in any actual danger at any point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭finglashoop

py2006 wrote: »
    Surely most of these guys are training away in the hope of being asked to stand in?

Nope. Ufc should officially have an alternate and pay him. Especially for main / co main. The amount of pullouts is ridiculous. Then a scramble for replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

py2006 wrote: »
    Anybody know why Aldo turned it down? The weight?

His coach said he's not in fight shape and not enough time to get ready either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

So yesterday, Diaz was a super fit guy, always in shape, now the fight is confirmed he's suddenly out of shape, carrying a bit of fat.. No camp excuses out already

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

No sure people really listen to or watch Diaz, they more get caught up in the Rogan love in of the brothers. Nate can bearly string a few sentences together in a presser and they are both slow, and generally best when countering not great at changing game plan, they will start abusing people and lowering hands to bait them in.

Rather if they moved RDA to the night of Khabib fight surely RDA be grand then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

ceecee14 wrote: »
    So yesterday, Diaz was a super fit guy, always in shape, now the fight is confirmed he's suddenly out of shape, carrying a bit of fat.. No camp excuses out already

If somebody doesn't think that 11 days is a factor they are a ****ing moron. Regardless of how in shape the fighters usually are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Aldo.

Hope your right,but Diaz is the biggest and longest guy Conor ever faced he will pose challenges Conor never faced yet.

Also if he has kept himself in anyway close to the shape he was in december,he was super motivated and in shape for that fight against Johnson and look what happened there,he also has a history of upsetting elite strikers with his style and reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Davei141 wrote: »
    If somebody doesn't think that 11 days isn't a factor they are a ****ing moron.

Of course it's a factor, but Diaz knew the score when he signed up for the fight, he can't take the fight, lose then blame a short camp

ceecee14 wrote: »

Absolute bull****.

Nate has fantastic cardio, you need more then cardio to be ready for a fight. He won't be able to make LW weight, with 10 or 11 days notice that is pretty understandable isn't it?

McGregor has done great things for Irish interest in MMA, well UFC anyway, but my God some of his fans are unbelievably insufferable.

Davei141 wrote:
    If somebody doesn't think that 11 days isn't a factor they are a ****ing moron.

Of course its a factor.. Just pointing out what I've been reading over the thread. Yesterday, he's super fit an always ready,great boxer ect.. today he's fat and slow..

McGregor has done great things for Irish interest in MMA, well UFC anyway, but my God some of his fans are unbelievably insufferable.

MMA fan long before McGregor put on a glove buddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

scudzilla wrote: »
    Of course it's a factor, but Diaz knew the score when he signed up for the fight, he can't take the fight, lose then blame a short camp

Of course he knows the score. But people pretending it is not a factor are tools.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement