Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

scudzilla wrote: »
    Of course it's a factor, but Diaz knew the score when he signed up for the fight, he can't take the fight, lose then blame a short camp

Yes he can , he is taking the fight for the money! he cant even make the 155 or next door to it so when he is KOd it wont look as bad as he had less than 2 weeks to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

At least Diaz will finally get that big ass pay cheque

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

One look at the Diaz brothers' physiques across their career tells me all I need to know about their commitment to training or their so-called other-worldly cardio. I love the way people spout this shîte about triathlons and marathons being for super fit elite athletes, when the reality is any one with a basic level of fitness can get around a marathon, and anyone with a basic level of fitness who can also ride a bike and swim, can do triathlons. Tell me Nate can run a sub 34min 10k and I'd be a lot more impressed. Joe Rogan's hyperbole has a lot to do with how this myth came about IMO.

The fact is both brothers love smoking the good stuff, which is not conducive to promoting cardiovascular excellence. Also, they have both shown up for fights looking flabby, which for tall, rangy fighters is a sure sign that they don't stay in shape year-round.

Conor, on the other hand, is always in good shape and takes his profession seriously. He's also been training for this fight date. He will have a huge advantage if it goes past 2 rounds. Which it won't.
    So if they're not ripped they're out of shape and aren't elite level cardio wise cos they enjoy some Mary? G'way outta that.

Very few other fighters could put up with their pace, Nick probably more than Nate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

ceecee14 wrote: »
    Of course its a factor.. Just pointing out what I've been reading over the thread. Yesterday, he's super fit an always ready,great boxer ect.. today he's fat and slow..

Just being a human version of The Sun newspaper more like.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

MMA fan long before McGregor put on a glove buddy

I find that hard to believe all things considered.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Rather if they moved RDA to the night of Khabib fight surely RDA be grand then.

That was never gonna happen, the Khabib fight is on fox its not a ppv card. Secondly they arent gonna pull McGregor off a ppv card thats just around the corner. His draw is too much and Diaz is the perfect replacement. The smack talk between the two of them in the short run up will save the event and peak people interest for that alone to keep the PPV figures decent. Thats all that matters to the UFC at this point so close to the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Of course its a factor.. Just pointing out what I've been reading over the thread. Yesterday, he's super fit an always ready,great boxer ect.. today he's fat and slow..

You can't take different people's differing opinions and combine them all together as a shift in general concensus. The people who said he was fit yesterday are the same people saying it today and the people who said he's not fighting fit on short notice yesterday are the same people today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

I find that hard to believe all things considered.

You will find guys who trot out the "McGregor fans" line around here are new to the sport themselves and pick it up on American sites.

Grow up you tool if he said he was he probably was,this idea of i was watching it before you i am better than you is idiotic,how old are you man.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nope. Ufc should officially have an alternate and pay him. Especially for main / co main. The amount of pullouts is ridiculous. Then a scramble for replacement.
    If every main/co-main had an alternate, assuming they get a few months notice also. Plus downtime post fight. It'd slow down a lot of divisions at the top. They have dozens of fighters they can't match

newbbieb wrote: »
    You will find guys who trot out the "McGregor fans" line around here are new to the sport themselves and pick it up on American sites.

Grow up you tool if he said he was he probably was,this idea of i was watching it before you i am better than you is idiotic,how old are you man.

Right yeah, not what I was saying at all but don't let it stop you.

He is a she by the way.

Can you show me a few people around here, who are new to the sport and have picked up stuff from American sites before coming to post here? Seems a very specific claim, do you do it yourself maybe?

Well defended though, you da real MVP

• Advertisement

Right yeah, not what I was saying at all but don't let it stop you.

He is a she by the way.

Can you show me a few people around here, who are new to the sport and have picked up stuff from American sites before coming to post here? Seems a very specific claim, do you do it yourself maybe?

Well defended though, you da real MVP

Well i assumed it was all guys around here but if its a woman i will take your word for it.

Probably just you who is new to it around here,your the only one trotting out the "insufferable McGregor fans line".My bet your a Luke Thomas fanboy you know it.

UFC used to air Sunday nights the night after it went live, on Bravo here years ago,it was during the good years in Ireland and nearly everyone had satellite dishes so its not hard to assume there was tens of thousands of young Irish guys or girl in this case watching it and are still interested in it to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

The press conference should be interesting.

Cb7xVkYUMAA2z9l.png

Well i assumed it was all guys around here but if its a woman i will take your word for it.

Probably just you who is new to it around here,your the only one trotting out the "insufferable McGregor fans line".My bet your a Luke Thomas fanboy you know it.

UFC used to air Sunday nights the night after it went live, on Bravo here years ago,it was during the good years in Ireland and nearly everyone had satellite dishes so its not hard to assume there was tens of thousands of young Irish guys or girl in this case watching it and are still interested in it to this day.

That's great, so when you said "you will find guys around here....blah blah blah" it was all just more bull****.

Have you never noticed anybody comment on how frustrating SOME McGregor fans can be? You must really just skim through, while putting your fingers in your ears at live events of course.

Thanks for the history lesson on how you used to watch UFC on bravo, great to know man. Would it blow your mind to find out there is more to MMA then UFC?

I don't care how long you have been a fan, I don't care how long CeeCee has been a fan. I have said already the man has done some great things for the sport in this part of the world, sadly he has attracted a huge amount of bellends to the sport also. It isn't his fault, it is a natural phenomenon when you are so good on camera and so successful at what you do.

I can still remember my facebook flooded with people cracking up over the last fight with Aldo, talking about how **** the sport is, such a joke etc, never staying up for that again, hours of waiting for 13 second and all the rest of it. Completely ignoring the other fights on the night or understanding that in combat sport one punch can end the fight!

Those people, they are dickheads and extremely insufferable.

People who make out that because a fighter gets injured he is ducking or a coward, they are dickheads.

People who refuse to acknowledge the many factors that go into fights and try to make out everything is just an excuse and has no bearing, they are dickheads.

That's enough about dickheads for one morning.

Looking forward to an interesting fight.

Edit: Oh, and by the way why the **** you would just assume its all guys around here? Bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

The only way I can see Diaz winning is by submission. Across the board its the only advantage he has on McGregor IMO

Should be a fun fight, with a good build up to it.

McGregor may not be some peoples cup of tea but fair play to him for taking the fight with so much at stake. A lot of other fighters would of pulled out in that situation ***cough cough Werdum***

I look forward to the smack talk in the fight, but outside of it Diaz wouldn't exactly be the most coherent! He is gonna get embarrassed by McGregor in those stakes for sure, and then probably in the fight too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Diaz isn't built for 170. He is built for 155. He is however carrying flab as he is between fights out of shape and in a short camp he doesn't have time to lose it.

Its not like fighting a real 170 fighter.

Or maybe Diaz has built himself for 170 and is planning on surprising everyone

This fight is basically a 155 fight without weight cuts.

Diazs best hope is to clinch up look for a trip and start working some grappling him and Nick are elite at BJJ and sambo,Of late the only fight he lost to a non grappling style fighter is probably Josh Thomson he will love this match up glad hes getting the big pay day he comes to fight,

The scenes when he stockton slaps Conor im nearly as excited for this as RDA fight tbh.

That's great, so when you said "you will find guys around here....blah blah blah" it was all just more bull****.

Have you never noticed anybody comment on how frustrating SOME McGregor fans can be? You must really just skim through, while putting your fingers in your ears at live events of course.

Thanks for the history lesson on how you used to watch UFC on bravo, great to know man. Would it blow your mind to find out there is more to MMA then UFC?

I don't care how long you have been a fan, I don't care how long CeeCee has been a fan. I have said already the man has done some great things for the sport in this part of the world, sadly he has attracted a huge amount of bellends to the sport also. It isn't his fault, it is a natural phenomenon when you are so good on camera and so successful at what you do.

I can still remember my facebook flooded with people cracking up over the last fight with Aldo, talking about how **** the sport is, such a joke etc, never staying up for that again, hours of waiting for 13 second and all the rest of it. Completely ignoring the other fights on the night or understanding that in combat sport one punch can end the fight!

Those people, they are dickheads and extremely insufferable.

People who make out that because a fighter gets injured he is ducking or a coward, they are dickheads.

People who refuse to acknowledge the many factors that go into fights and try to make out everything is just an excuse and has no bearing, they are dickheads.

That's enough about dickheads for one morning.

Looking forward to an interesting fight.

Edit: Oh, and by the way why the **** you would just assume its all guys around here? Bizarre

Off course if you bring more people there will be more dickheads its the nature of bringing more people,you can't expect all new fans to know everything and you can't expect there not to be dickheads within a large group of people.

But if you want the sport to grow you need dickheads as well as nice folk,or you can just have your elite small group of knowledgeable fans and let the sport die a slow death.

Its just mma snobbery labelling"McGregor Fans" this or that and when people start it around here its doubly frustrating,i am a "McGregor fan" i been watching mma a long time i can tell you,and i can accept idiots,you have to listen to just as much idiotic dribble from people who hate McGregor so it evens out.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Great move by UFC. IF he loses to Diaz at 170 he can still take on Dos Anjos at UFC 200.

If he wins against Diaz he has the option of Lawler or Dos Anjos at UFC 200. If he fights Lawler and loses he still has Dos Anjos at the lesser weight class.

Yeah I think ufc 200 is McGregor v Lawler main event,it will sell crazy amount of ppv him and rda have the personality of a potatoe but the lawler one sells more for sure imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,761 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

really disappointed with this fight,
    Diaz is a totally different fighter with a full camp, with two weeks notice he will be terrible,
    How many times have people been disappointed with him after he's had a crap camp ,For his style of fighting he needs to be super fit because of the volume of punches he throws, He does not have the power to fight wel when his gas tank is a worry ,

Also with him constantly complaining about his poor pay ,Its not hard to see he taking this fight for just the money,

• Advertisement

really disappointed with this fight,
    Diaz is a totally different fighter with a full camp, with two weeks notice he will be terrible,
    How many times have people been disappointed with him after he's had a crap camp ,For his style of fighting he needs to be super fit because of the volume of punches he throws, He does not have the power to fight wel when his gas tank is a worry ,

Also with him constantly complaining about his poor pay ,Its not hard to see he taking this fight for just the money,

He gets paid way more than 40k to fight that was just the disclosed he would be on well over a 100k Dana only tweeted about it last week,

Conor gets no thanks for all the bum lifes he changes,he is very charitable and gets no thanks for it from the fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

If McGregor loses to Diaz no way he gets the RDA title fight at 200.

This is a very risky fight for Conor with little to gain.

mdwexford wrote: »

I agree i think this is a lot riskier than some would have you believe with nothing for Conor to gain,other than a lot of money off course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Of all the options available I think Diaz is the easiest fight for him but also the most marketable,

From the UFC's point of view it was a no brainer

mdwexford wrote: »

I dunno, I think Dana made enough of this being a WW bout and how big a step up it is etc for Conor in terms of weight class that it is the back up plan they have if he does somehow lose Diaz.

Gives them an out to still have the LW belt fight at 200 imo.

Off course if you bring more people there will be more dickheads its the nature of bringing more people,you can't expect all new fans to know everything and you can't expect there not to be dickheads within a large group of people.

But if you want the sport to grow you need dickheads as well as nice folk,or you can just have your elite small group of knowledgeable fans and let the sport die a slow death.

Its just mma snobbery labelling"McGregor Fans" this or that and when people start it around here its doubly frustrating,i am a "McGregor fan" i been watching mma a long time i can tell you,and i can accept idiots,you have to listen to just as much idiotic dribble from people who hate McGregor so it evens out.

Great. Again, not what I was saying at all but sure, look....

As you seem unable to actually discuss, or debate, or even stick to the points actually made rather then the ones you want to rinse and repeat yourself I may as well bow out of this.

Enjoy the fight bai

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

mdwexford wrote:

You can't say there's "no way" anything will happen.. You would have said last year that there's no way Conors first fight after beating Aldo is a non title fight at 170.. Anything that will sell, will happen.

Great. Again, not what I was saying at all but sure, look....

As you seem unable to actually discuss, or debate, or even stick to the points actually made rather then the ones you want to rinse and repeat yourself I may as well bow out of this.

Enjoy the fight bai

Its exactly what you were saying you clown.When you get annoyed by someone instead of countering them you say"insufferable McGregor fans" if they are so stupid and insufferable you should be able to counter them with your superior mma knowledge instead of resorting to insults.

Its cheap insults you resort to when you got no argument,you keep saying its not what you were saying when its exactly what you were saying,i must be talking with the dumbest guy on these boards,enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Obviously there is a chance, but if he loses to Nate and still gets a title shot against RDA at 200 that makes a complete mockery of the UFC and the rankings and everything in between. So I would say yes, it will never happen.

If he loses this fight, the only way I imagine him being on UFC 200 is against Edgar or Aldo.

• Advertisement

Obviously there is a chance, but if he loses to Nate and still gets a title shot against RDA at 200 that makes a complete mockery of the UFC and the rankings and everything in between. So I would say yes, it will never happen.

If he loses this fight, the only way I imagine him being on UFC 200 is against Edgar or Aldo.

UFC doesnt care about what fights to make on past achievements,they are in the entertainment business to make money,sooner people realise this the better,the most deserving fighters dont get what is deserved if he was ko'd in a minute it'd make no difference he'd probably still get RDA or Lawler for the simple fact people will buy it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement