Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

This really is a no lose fight for McGregor which is probably why he insisted on having it at 170. IF(very slim IMO) Conor does get beat he has a number of excuses, short notice, huge weight jump,preparing for different style,etc etc so it still leaves the 155 title fight open at UFC 200.

I don't see in any way McGregor loosing this fight though and I expect it to be a good stand up war. Even though I'm disappointed that there is no title on the line I am excited for the Diaz matchup.

I've glanced over most of the posts from last 24 hours, because there's some amount of BS, anyone would think its about a week away from a McGregor fight! :eek::eek::pac: So dont know if this was posted before

12743931_10153644894226645_8535206470032455795_n.jpg?oh=f8d8ab6a03eb82c05834c0b771d44697&oe=5767866B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Gamebred wrote: »
    UFC doesnt care about what fights to make on past achievements,they are in the entertainment business to make money,sooner people realise this the better,the most deserving fighters dont get what is deserved if he was ko'd in a minute it'd make no difference he'd probably still get RDA or Lawler for the simple fact people will buy it.

It might be sellable as Conor was too heavy and 55 he is more natural weight,it would also depend on how he loses possibly,if Diaz decimated him it would be a hard sell on a Dos Anjos fight when he ran through Nate not that long ago.

Either way its disappointing i was looking forward to Conor either ending the wrestler question or just confirming it to be true with the RDA fight,but until he beats someone like Dos Anjos he will always have the doubters which is understandable to some degree,according to Bisping Conors winning streak is down to the luck of getting so many short camp fighters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

newbbieb wrote: »
    It might be sellable as Conor was too heavy and 55 he is more natural weight,it would also depend on how he loses possibly,if Diaz decimated him it would be a hard sell on a Dos Anjos fight when he ran through Nate not that long ago.

Either way its disappointing i was looking forward to Conor either ending the wrestler question or just confirming it to be true with the RDA fight,but until he beats someone like Dos Anjos he will always have the doubters which is understandable to some degree,according to Bisping Conors winning streak is down to the luck of getting so many short camp fighters.

Its a game of opinions Conor will never get the credit no matter what he does,if he ko'd Lawler they would start saying hes ducking Rockhold,its no fault of his own these people keep dropping out not easy for him not knowing who hes fighting,

His wins over Poirier and Holloway alone are legit as any ko'd one and dominated the other with one knee,both are both about 11-0 since I dont think he has anything to prove,others do.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

After the Diaz fight, he will surely have to defend the FW belt against Edgar/Aldo or whoever is the #1 guy at that point.

If he was to challenge for another belt at a different weight then he should vacate his belt.

A champion should be defending his belt at least 2-3 times a year. If he were to arrange a fight against Dos Anjos or Lawler later on in the year it a big FU to the FW division

Its a game of opinions Conor will never get the credit no matter what he does,if he ko'd Lawler they would start saying hes ducking Rockhold,its no fault of his own these people keep dropping out not easy for him not knowing who hes fighting,

His wins over Poirier and Holloway alone are legit as any ko'd one and dominated the other with one knee,both are both about 11-0 since I dont think he has anything to prove,others do.

Totally agree man,its very unfortunate for Conor and he has always stepped up when most fighters turn down these late changes like Poirer recently did.

Hollaway was short notice i think though wasn't he,and its disappointing to hear Bisping put forward this kind of narrative about Conor and this fight will just feed more into that even if he wins.

• Advertisement

Totally agree man,its very unfortunate for Conor and he has always stepped up when most fighters turn down these late changes like Poirer recently did.

Hollaway was short notice i think though wasn't he,and its disappointing to hear Bisping put forward this kind of narrative about Conor and this fight will just feed more into that even if he wins.

Ah I'd say its bisping trying to nick a headline to hype his own fight,looking forward to Anderson Head kicking him unconscious with a bit of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Its exactly what you were saying you clown.When you get annoyed by someone instead of countering them you say"insufferable McGregor fans" if they are so stupid and insufferable you should be able to counter them with your superior mma knowledge instead of resorting to insults.

Its cheap insults you resort to when you got no argument,you keep saying its not what you were saying when its exactly what you were saying,i must be talking with the dumbest guy on these boards,enough.

img

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

img

Give it a rest lads. Yer cluttering up this thread with yer nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I think those Bisping comments came before it was announced McGregor would be going up a weight class. He's hardly 'lucky' to find out he has a week to bulk up.

While Nate hasn't a great record to date - he's taller,heavier and has a reach advantage. All of which McGregor had over most of his previous opponents.

img

I can let bygones be bygones man just leave out the"McGregor fans" stuff its childish,i probably shouldnt a resorted to insults too so i take them back.

• Advertisement

tumblr_n8ol9hvVZM1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

If Nate is smart he will try clinch up like this and look for a trip or throw to make it a grappling match playing into his strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Caliden wrote: »
    I think those Bisping comments came before it was announced McGregor would be going up a weight class. He's hardly 'lucky' to find out he has a week to bulk up.

While Nate hasn't a great record to date - he's taller,heavier and has a reach advantage. All of which McGregor had over most of his previous opponents.

Not sure about heavier? I'd imagine McG isn't far off 175 and full camp fit. I doubt Diaz is more than that. Plus McG looks strong so again I doubt diaz has a weight or strength advantage. In terms of reach, Conor uses a lot of kicks which would nullify a reach advantage. Add to that Nates lack of movement and I see this going only one way. Unless Nate can get it to the ground somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Doubt we will see him at 145 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Caliden wrote: »

It's not "up a weight class". Diaz last fought at WW 5 years ago I think. I would be surprised if Conor is bigger. Diaz was never one to cut a lot of weight.
    It's two lightweights fighting at 170, removing the need to cut more than a few lbs.
    JustTheOne wrote: »
    Doubt we will see him at 145 again.
    Maybe not. But that has nothing moving the fight to WW. He's not putting on size in a week.
    I was expecting a big Conor at vets RDA, he'll look massive on the scales compared to previous fights now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,655 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Article in the Journal.ie from John Kavanagh...

"IT’S BEEN AN interesting 24 hours and we’ve been here before.
    Conor McGregor flew out to Los Angeles on Monday morning for his UFC lightweight title bout against Rafael dos Anjos at UFC 196 in Las Vegas on Saturday, 5 March.

However, on Monday evening I began to pick up on some rumours that claimed dos Anjos had picked up an injury. Later that night, Conor’s management team contacted me and confirmed that dos Anjos had broken his foot. He wouldn’t be able to fight.

Apparently he sustained the injury in training last Friday. I assume he gave himself the weekend to see if he could put weight on it, but obviously it didn’t heal. On Tuesday morning, a few other names were put forward as potential replacements. The response from Conor was as you’d expect: “It doesn’t matter, they’re all the same.”

I did find it somewhat interesting, however, that Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar both turned it down. I seem to recall them insisting quite recently that they were willing to fight Conor “any time and any place”. Obviously they forgot to mention that 5 March in Las Vegas was an exception.

Back in September, Conor said something significant at the UFC’s ‘Go Big’ press conference. He told every contender from 145lbs to 170lbs to stay ready because it’s not uncommon for his opponents to pull out. There’s a pattern emerging that one fighter pulls out, another fighter steps in and then it’s passed off as being a short-notice fight. It’s not.

Six of Conor’s last 12 opponents have pulled out. Even if a certain fighter is not announced as Conor’s original opponent, every guy who’s in some way in the mix to face him in the future should be staying prepared, because there’s a 50% chance there’ll be an opening.

If you want to fight Conor McGregor, get ready — even when someone else has got the gig. There’s only a handful of names who could have received the call, so they should have been ready. There’s a lesson to be learned here for any guy who genuinely wants the opportunity.

In a time when so many fighters are unwilling to compete due to a wide variety of little issues — not enough notice, minor injuries etc. — Conor’s mindset is unique. He could have walked away from this without consequences but that never came into consideration.

In order to widen the search for an opponent, he committed to fight as high as 170lbs and that was it. That’s two weight classes up from his last fight, which only happened a couple of months ago. It’s a mindset that hasn’t been seen before and I doubt we’ll see it again.

I’m sure people have heard me saying this before, but we’ve never focused too heavily on opponents at Straight Blast Gym and this situation is yet another justification of that philosophy. When this happened previously, we went from fighting a kickboxer to a wrestler. Now, the switch is from a stocky grappler with some hard kicks to a tall boxer. You must be ready for every type of opponent.

As for Nate, if you look at his last fight — when he beat Michael Johnson by decision — Michael comes from a great team but he is quite new to striking, yet he still managed to land a lot of shots. Josh Thomson badly lit Nate up when they fought in 2013.

The Diaz brothers are known for walking through shots but Nate doesn’t quite have Nick’s ability to absorb punishment. It’s a different ball-game when you face somebody who has been striking for their entire life, as opposed to a wrestler who’s still trying to develop their striking. I think it will be an early night for Nate.

We don’t know just yet what will come after next week’s fight but I personally think the fight against Rafael dos Anjos still makes sense for the summer. Having said that, things can change very quickly between now and then — as we’ve seen since the Aldo fight — so who knows what will happen in the meantime?

It’s a crazy game and it’s becoming more and more difficult to predict. But I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t a lot of fun
    ."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

One thing is for sure, he doesn't quite absorb punishment in the same way Nick can, but he still has a hell of a chin and it is a compliment to McGregor that I expect him to stop him within 2.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I keep laughing every time I try and put into perspective this fight. Its amazing.

You can't deny that McGregor has some set on him. Who else does this? Fighting at 170 as the 145 champion, the psychopath.

Diaz-RDA.0.jpg

Diaz aint small,know he got merked in this fight just thought it'd give people an idea how big he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Aye, first time McGregor will be coming up against a guy with a longer reach too.

Also a Southpaw boxer. It'll be very interesting to see how he controls the distance etc.

Conor will use the same gameplan he used against mendes,butcher the body and empty his gas tank I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Diaz-RDA.0.jpg

Diaz aint small,know he got merked in this fight just thought it'd give people an idea how big he is.

RDA is the one that is small the man is 5'7 and alot of people then ranting about the size difference at LW lol mcgregor would have mauled RDA

Conor will use the same gameplan he used against mendes,butcher the body and empty his gas tank I reckon.

I reckon mcgregor will get inside one of diaz s lazy jabs or slip and straight and it ll be lights out for diaz !

Hard to take diaz seriously...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCKx_STwnsY/

Mcgregor via ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

evo2000 wrote: »
    RDA is the one that is small the man is 5'7 and alot of people then ranting about the size difference at LW lol mcgregor would have mauled RDA

Ye RDA didn't stand a chance with the giant McGregoat towering over him with a '1 height advantage.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Ye RDA didn't stand a chance with the giant McGregoat towering over him with a '1 height advantage.

Who said mcgregor was towering over him? lol ur reading things that arent there, but mcgregors 4 inch reach advantage woulda caused problems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

I do agree that this fight deserved a couple of months build up. But then again, I would have been very surprised if Diaz hadn't hit Conor or spat at him before they got in the octagon.

This fight will generate as much excitement as possible in such a short time. Should be fun.

What's happening today then? There was supposed to be an open workout I believe and Conor on Conan.

Guessing he is just recording Conan tonight, is the media call today or has everything been pushed back now?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

From Sholler
    Update: today's event at UFC GYM Torrance changed to formal 196 press conference at 1pm PT. Open to public. Live at http://UFC.com

So 9pm our time. Everyone get your popcorn.gif's ready

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Conor is on Conan tonight? Have to watch that, I barely get around to watching him but Conan's one of the best interviewers out there; really adaptable to whoever his guest is and highly entertaining - it should be a great watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Billy86 wrote: »
    Conor is on Conan tonight? Have to watch that, I barely get around to watching him but Conan's one of the best interviewers out there; really adaptable to whoever his guest is and highly entertaining - it should be a great watch.

I think he's only recording it tonight, think it airs on the 3rd or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

People are underestimating Nate a bit i think. Boxing is the Diaz brothers bread and butter, why i love this fight so much, two of the best pure boxers in MMA. Nate doesn't have to worry about the takedown either which has always been the Diaz brothers achilles.
    Way more intriguing than Cerrone would have been.

• Advertisement

is it weird that aldo submitted an Xray (albeit bogus) to show his bruised rib, such was the seriousness of pulling out so late and yet no sign of a photo even on twitter of this broken foot??

I'm just saying, I twisted my ankle and had it Xray'd, but it wasn't broke. However the next day I could not even try limp on it, I was bed bound and it was black almost up past my shin!! plus it literally below up in front of me in minutes!!!I'm just saying, broken and yet he expected that it would be "OK" Monday????

does'nt add up!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement