Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dana released interesting statement, pretty much saying if aldo retains he is logical no.1
    Essentially that's the issue the UFC has. The window of opportunity for booking McGregor v Aldo is small.

Right now, he is the highest ranked unmatched fighter.
    If Aldo retains he is still the highest ranked available fighter for 4 weeks. Until Edgar v Cub (Lamas could be higher ranked and available sooner but it's too soon. Ditto Mendes if he loses)
    If they book him against Sanchez. Even if he destroys him. The window closes to just a few days.

The only potential cases to be made is that, he regardless of the winner, Cub and Edgar both have lost to Aldo.

Apparently he asked Dana for the fight before he put it on Twitter. Dana said no, and he did it anyway. Some balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Should he not be getting his hand back in full shape aafter the torn ligaments?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

peteeeed wrote: »

Conor said he would be champ by the end of the year! UFC 182 would be perfect though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

All well and good but if Aldo wins end of this month, I don't see him jumping to get back in to a fight before the end of the year so Conor can fulfill his prophecy. I'd say UFC would dump a load of cash on him to do it though. Don't mind all the skipping the queue stuff either, Cub, Frankie, etc will have plenty of time to challenge him for the belt!

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    All well and good but if Aldo wins end of this month, I don't see him jumping to get back in to a fight before the end of the year so Conor can fulfill his prophecy. I'd say UFC would dump a load of cash on him to do it though. Don't mind all the skipping the queue stuff either, Cub, Frankie, etc will have plenty of time to challenge him for the belt!

plus the PPV cards for the end of year have their headliners and co main events. with rousey expected to be on the jones-cormier card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

plus the PPV cards for the end of year have their headliners and co main events. with rousey expected to be on the jones-cormier card

UFC182 doesn't have any fights booked though does it?

adamski8 wrote: »
    UFC182 doesn't have any fights booked though does it?

thats jones v cormier , if conor fights aldo it will be a headline slot
    183 is silva v diaz
    so that would leave 184 in feb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

sheehy83 wrote: »

I think Cub and Bermudez are more deserving of a shot tbh, especially Cub. But I understand that it might benefit the UFC more financially to give it to Conor.

I think Cub and Bermudez are more deserving of a shot tbh, especially Cub. But I understand that it might benefit the UFC more financially to give it to Conor.

if you go on what dana said yesterday that the trouble is they have all fought aldo already, only conor and bermudez haven't

• Advertisement

if you go on what dana said yesterday that the trouble is they have all fought aldo already, only conor and bermudez haven't

That was a long time ago though, and it was a freak flying knee ko. If Edgar wins fair enough, he fought Aldo recently so I understand Conor getting it. But if Cub wins I think he deserves it. As you say though, Dana will do what he likes. And Sanchez v Conor would be a great fight, I'd like to see it happen. No need to rush Conor into a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

The feeling I'm getting at this point after Dana and Lorenzo's comments is that they're giving Conor a title shot next IF and ONLY IF Aldo wins... the Sanchez fight isn't going to happen. Hope Aldo wins I want Conor to KO Aldo for that belt... it's worth so much more if it's Aldo IMO. Conor can and will beat Jose Aldo for the title, that's the dream that's whats gona happen. I can't imagine it'll be 2014.... but... IF they offered Aldo loads of cash to do it (a million?) AND IF he was uninjured after beating Mendes he'd do it surely. If that dream situation happens Conor becomes a millionaire and is set up for life if/WHEN he wins that fight.

But Aldo may in fact be afraid of Conor, really, so he probably would prefer all the other permuations to happen, anything but face Conor now. He can win one or two more fights and greatly strengthen his legasy before losing his belt to Conor so anything less than mental lunatic money might not motivate him..but everybody has a price in the end. Dana wants Conor Aldo next, Lorenzo wants it, Conor wants it, most fans want it - just takes Aldo to win uninjured !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Cub deserves the shot more but I'm starting to think he'll never get one because I can see Frankie beating him. He had a shot before but it was over 5 years ago so that argument doesn't hold much weight. Feel bad for Cub as he's a good guy but it's looking exciting for Conor. Bermudez is also more deserving if he can beat Lamas but that's a big if.

If they want to make the McGregor/Aldo fight happen soon enough then it should happen. The champs aren't fighting near enough in the UFC and FW has piles of people waiting in line. If they want the fight around Feb I don't see why it shouldn't happen, over 3 months after Aldo/Mendes. This is all assuming Aldo wins and Conor gets the shot.

Cub deserves the shot more but I'm starting to think he'll never get one because I can see Frankie beating him. He had a shot before but it was over 5 years ago so that argument doesn't hold much weight. Feel bad for Cub as he's a good guy but it's looking exciting for Conor. Bermudez is also more deserving if he can beat Lamas but that's a big if.

If they want to make the McGregor/Aldo fight happen soon enough then it should happen. The champs aren't fighting near enough in the UFC and FW has piles of people waiting in line. If they want the fight around Feb I don't see why it shouldn't happen, over 3 months after Aldo/Mendes. This is all assuming Aldo wins and Conor gets the shot.

cub definetly deserves his shot but we only have to look at sonnen and diaz, if you shout from the rooftops who you want or you have a record of good PPV buys the UFC will give you the shot, after his last win Cub refused to call anyone out when he was asked a direct question, that was a big mistake

This is not the same as Chael etc Conor is, as of now, widely considered to be good enough to fight for the title, he just hasn't actually fought enough top 5 guys to be technically in line, if that's how you feel it should be done... and not everyone agrees that's how it should be done every time.
    I think if a guy rips through 2,3,4 guys and shows real class and a finishing ability like Conor and runs through a top 5 guy for fun and shows something different something special even if they haven't fought the other top 4 or whatever then I say they deserve a shot especially when Aldo has fought so many of the other lads.
    If you asked the top 10 most respected MMA pundits/Journalists I reckon they would see McGregor as a genuine threat to Aldo if they fought soon.. that'a all it takes for me. He's got something different than anyone else in the queue and everybody knows it and it makes him, Aldo and the UFC buckets of cash. It's not fair from one perspective, totally is from another.
    I don't feel challengers are and should be chosen academically every time. In my mind Conor destroys Cub and Mendes with no more difficulty than Poirier. Edgar is a fascinating match up with his bouncing leprechaun movement but Conor hits way harder than Frankie and is much bigger and I'd say way stronger and finishes Frankie unless Frankie runs away for the whole fight. I even think Conor has his way with Aldo, as in makes Aldo look like 'the rest' ...major blasphemy I know but that's how I see it. They parry he takes a few he tags Aldo a couple times and then finds one shot and finishes him belt please Dream Step 2 completed.

Yep you're dead right, Cub's more deserving on performance but for excitement and ticket sales McGregor is more logical.

@Nutella

Calm down there, Aldo afraid? He's basically whiped out the division and he's undeniably P4P top 3. The guy is incredible, cool as a cucumber as well. I love the optimism but talking about Conor KOing him like it's a formality...well, I just don't know. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

If they want a trilogy now is the time to get cracking with the 1st.

Yep you're dead right, Cub's more deserving on performance but for excitement and ticket sales McGregor is more logical.

@Nutella

Calm down there, Aldo afraid? He's basically whiped out the division and he's undeniably P4P top 3. The guy is incredible, cool as a cucumber as well. I love the optimism but talking about Conor KOing him like it's a formality...well, I just don't know. :confused:

haha ok

but I still mean it... different is different... conor is not an incrementally better fighter than these guys he's a killer finisher with the ability to find a strike that just ends you and Aldo has not ever faced anything like Conor he just hasn't so Aldo's brilliance, resiliance, strategic excellence, all round awesomeness is relative to his peers, up to now and in my opinion that has just changed. He is no longer a cut above, McGregor's in the house and he's got the ability to finish Aldo more than the other lads I genuinely think that.

This is not the same as Chael etc Conor is, as of now, widely considered to be good enough to fight for the title, he just hasn't actually fought enough top 5 guys to be technically in line, if that's how you feel it should be done... and not everyone agrees that's how it should be done every time.
    I think if a guy rips through 2,3,4 guys and shows real class and a finishing ability like Conor and runs through a top 5 guy for fun and shows something different something special even if they haven't fought the other top 4 or whatever then I say they deserve a shot especially when Aldo has fought so many of the other lads.
    If you asked the top 10 most respected MMA pundits/Journalists I reckon they would see McGregor as a genuine threat to Aldo if they fought soon.. that'a all it takes for me. He's got something different than anyone else in the queue and everybody knows it and it makes him, Aldo and the UFC buckets of cash. It's not fair from one perspective, totally is from another.
    I don't feel challengers are and should be chosen academically every time. In my mind Conor destroys Cub and Mendes with no more difficulty than Poirier. Edgar is a fascinating match up with his bouncing leprechaun movement but Conor hits way harder than Frankie and is much bigger and I'd say way stronger and finishes Frankie unless Frankie runs away for the whole fight. I even think Conor has his way with Aldo, as in makes Aldo look like 'the rest' ...major blasphemy I know but that's how I see it. They parry he takes a few he tags Aldo a couple times and then finds one shot and finishes him belt please Dream Step 2 completed.

You are way too overconfident man, I'm surprised you haven't said Conor will tko Jon Jones in the first round yet. I want Conor to win the belt too, but Aldo, Mendes, Swanson and Edgar would be huge tests for him. You seem to think he will walk through anybody.

That's an interesting point.... should Aldo get a rematch not matter how he loses to Conor (calm down just being hypothetical for a moment)

like lets say Aldo beats Mendes uninjured and Conor fights him whenever and Aldo gets KTFO by Conor in round 1 as the MMA worlds jaw collectively hangs open, then does Aldo always get an immediate rematch? I would say yes coz he's ruled for so long and is so good and deserves the respect of the UFC to give him a second crack at it especially after a short fight if that's how it went but is it guaranteed in that scenario? Obviously if Conor schooled Jose Aldo for a few rounds without trouble tagging him at will and not taking much damage and then either finishing him or getting a lopsided decision than the argument is weaker for an immediate rematch.

• Advertisement

You are way too overconfident man, I'm surprised you haven't said Conor will tko Jon Jones in the first round yet. I want Conor to win the belt too, but Aldo, Mendes, Swanson and Edgar would be huge tests for him. You seem to think he will walk through anybody.

well I sort of do... at least... I wouldn't be too surprised if he did basically walk through Jose Aldo. I'm not trolling I actually see McGregor striking and footwork and balance as capable of destroying any one of them, including Aldo. I wouldn't have said that when this train started but I'm fully on board now to the point of sounding probably like an overzealous superfan mental eejit... but I'm cool with that :-)

He's different for sure. Taller, rangier and uses a variety of kicks that Aldo won't have seen before. But Aldo historically has destroyed guys who've come out to strike with him, look what he did with Chan Sung Jung not so long ago and he was seen as one of the best strikers in the div (maybe not as good as Conor, but up there). The guy is insane.

Admittedly we don't really know just how good Conor is yet, we know he's up there for sure but a fight with Aldo won't be a 1 round mauling like his others have been.

Riight forget my nonsense if that's what ya think it is for the moment and just consiider this..

McGregor has improved about 3000% in every facet in the last 3 years, it's true if you look at his fights he just has, so IF he continues to improve with his striking (and no doubt BJJ with animals like Kavanagh, Gunni and Tom King to roll with in training) what with all his money and the ability to literally do the best training available to find en edge in every facet of the game, nutrition, conditioning, power, technique specific improvement i.e. TKD sessions etc he can afford to improve using any and every resource Kavanagh and his team can think of (and they're smart people!) then he is likely to improve over and over again then I don't see why he can't continue to win and eventually become one of the best MMA fighters on the planet, possibly ever. It's all there, there's no specific reason why he can't go on and on. The problem is, and it's weird and happened to Silva (calm down I know I'm incl Silva's name in this post) is that if he keeps flooring lads early then he doesn't learn those MMA lessons which only come from real fights.... the comebacks, the escapes, the sweeps, the scrambles, the greco on the fence with real elbows, the finishing of chokes, the stuff that only comes form going through the fire and that can be a problem obviously when eventually you have to do it... after you KO a load of guys. I'd still prefer quick wins and no injuries and big bonus cheques every time but that's the dichotomy of being a striker above the rest in your division. (put fingers in ears for likely torrent of laughs). Don't care I stand by it. McGregor 'could' blast through Aldo and I wouldn't be surprised if he did!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But Aldo historically has destroyed guys who've come out to strike with him, look what he did with Chan Sung Jung not so long ago and he was seen as one of the best strikers in the div (maybe not as good as Conor, but up there). The guy is insane.

CSJ isn't the best striker in the division, not even close to it tbh. His nickname comes from the fact that he wades forward absorbing shots, that's not a trait of a skillful striker, examaple Leben v Silva

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

I have to admit that Conor's stance worries me with regard to leg kicks. He didn't seem to concerned with checking any of Poirer's efforts, and I don't think that would fly against Aldo.

Mellor wrote: »
    CSJ isn't the best striker in the division, not even close to it tbh. His nickname comes from the fact that he wades forward absorbing shots, that's not a trait of a skillful striker, examaple Leben v Silva

Yeah you're right, not the best example. Point is that nobodies come close to him in the standup yet.

I have to admit that Conor's stance worries me with regard to leg kicks. He didn't seem to concerned with checking any of Poirer's efforts, and I don't think that would fly against Aldo.

Aye but Aldo hasn't thrown a kick since 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

People overrate his leg kicks I feel. Sure they are nasty but there are more indirect ways to counter them apart checking such as good movement and footwork and countering.

If you stand still you're gonna have a hard time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Aye but Aldo hasn't thrown a kick since 2006
    is that sarcasm?

Jose_Aldo_vs._Mark_Hominick_5.gif
    2mziqv6.jpg
    ufc15605_zps7cd5580d.jpg

• Advertisement

His leg kicks are lethal. I just watched Edgar-Aldo there and he had him messed up with the leg kicks early on, the only reason he eased up was the fear of being taken down. Something that wouldn't be there if he fought Conor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement