Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

is that sarcasm?

Yeah of course, I just feel like he's been holding back a lot last couple of years, probably true its because of the takedowns, but it starts to remind me of Cro Cop, the guy with the most lethal kicks in the world never throwing kicks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Praying he gets Aldo next.

Can't wait to see McGregor get battered for five rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Conor's going down. Suck it up lads!
    Keep going and you'll be quite the connoisseur of humble pie

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

darced wrote: »
    Remember McGregor is south paw stance so that takes away some of Aldo's favorite kicking combo's.
    Plus if he does throw it anyway, to the inside far leg and misses, he'll angle straight in front of Conor's left hand. The power hand.

That said, it'll be nice to get a few quid on Conor as an underdog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

C'mon now John!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

That's impossible seeing as Aldo is gassed by the fourth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Dana on Conor

Dana White makes his case on why Conor McGregor is likely the number 1 contender to the featherweight title.

Conor McGregor recently pulled a 'Chael Sonnen' by announcing a fight that hasn't been booked yet. The UFC quickly shot down the idea of facing Diego Sanchez at lightweight, but it looks like they may have something bigger planned for the Irishman. Dana White spoke to UFC.com and made his case on why McGregor is likely the Number 1 contender at featehrweight:

"Here’s the thing: If you go down the list, every one of those guys has fought Jose Aldo already. Conor hasn’t. So who do you line up next for the champ other than Conor? Everybody else has fought him."

McGregor is ranked #5 at featherweight after knocking out Poirier. The rest of the field includes Aldo's previous opponents in Chad Mendes, who is already booked for a rematch at UFC 179, Cub Swanson and Frankie Edgar, who are set to face off next month, and Ricardo Lamas.

The Swanson fight was actually 5 years ago, but the argument does hold up in general granted that Aldo keeps his belt. If Mendes wins the title though, the field is suddenly wide open and Swanson vs. Edgar arguably is the more deserving challenger from a sporting perspective.

That being said, this is also a business, and I do believe that striking while the iron is hot and having McGregor challenge for the title would be the best move for them from an entertainment stand point....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

srumball wrote: »
    C'mon now John!

Lol wat

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

Cyber you should get behind your country man Conor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Sanchez v Lauzon just announced.

An end to an odd couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

I think Conor should get his thumb fixed 1st as he needs to be at his best to win the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I think Conor should get his thumb fixed 1st as he needs to be at his best to win the title.

He'll have plenty of time, IF he gets the next title shot, which is looking increasingly likely, then that's not going to be until Feb/March

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I was really hoping he would get a fight (and win) around New Years, then March/April then a summer show, possible stadium in Dublin for the title. But if everyone else is booked NO.1 contender atm will have to do him :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

He'll fight again this year I think

dave1982 wrote: »
    He'll fight again this year I think

Not if these reports are true and he's gonna get the winner of Aldo/Mendes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I don't see who there is for him to fight right now. Maybe someone like Lentz but that's a very high risk/low reward type of fight, even though I'd like to see him against a wrestler. I'd prefer he fought once more before the title but it looks like the opportunity to fight Aldo will happen once he beats Mendes, so let it happen I guess. These are rare opportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I can't see Conor in a fight before the end of the year. I'd imagine they will probably look to have him do a lot of media and use him to strengthen some and develop new other areas.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I can see a St Paddy's day fight with Aldo, presuming Aldo wins. Its got money written all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

DeVore wrote: »
    I can see a St Paddy's day fight with Aldo, presuming Aldo wins. Its got money written all over it.

March 17th is on a Tuesday though, mind you it would be like UFC to have a "St Paddys Weekend" card

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

They have, most years anyway. It will be in Boston most likely but the Aviva would be awesome!

March 17th is on a Tuesday though, mind you it would be like UFC to have a "St Pattys Weekend" card

fyp :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Dana has already said it will be next summer they come back to Dublin and an outdoor event so it wont be paddys day. The aviva in the summer would be great though!

Axwell wrote: »
    Dana has already said it will be next summer they come back to Dublin and an outdoor event so it wont be paddys day. The aviva in the summer would be great though!

That's where i lost you, when you said "Dana has already said....."

How many times did he say they were coming back after 93, and i don't think he has actually said the words "We're doing a stadium in Dublin", i think he said something like the Irish weather scares the crap out of him

scudzilla wrote: »
    How many times did he say they were coming back after 93,

Exactly, he said they'd be back but never conmotted to a date until this years event. They said they'll be back to Dublin, but not guarantee it'll be next year.

Mellor wrote: »
    Exactly, he said they'd be back but never conmotted to a date until this years event. They said they'll be back to Dublin, but not guarantee it'll be next year.

Although after UFC93 we didn't have the ace up our sleeve (Mr McGregor) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Plus if he does throw it anyway, to the inside far leg and misses, he'll angle straight in front of Conor's left hand. The power hand.

That said, it'll be nice to get a few quid on Conor as an underdog.

Probably have to place that early and with an overseas bookie. Get ****e odds otherwise.

Probably have to place that early and with an overseas bookie. Get ****e odds otherwise.
    He opened as an underdog verses Porrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

He opened as an underdog verses Porrier.

Yeah and it took a huge swing the other way then, with Irish bookies in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

scudzilla wrote: »
    That's where i lost you, when you said "Dana has already said....."

How many times did he say they were coming back after 93, and i don't think he has actually said the words "We're doing a stadium in Dublin", i think he said something like the Irish weather scares the crap out of him

Id agree but that was before McGregor and the other Irish fighters gave them a reason to come back to Dublin. After 93 there was no real reason, we had one irish fighter in Tom Egan on that card who unfortunately lost his fight, there was no reason for the UFC to rush back here when the UK was doing decent numbers for them.

As regards an event next year

http://balls.ie/mma/dana-white-massive-conor-mcgregor-news-167/

He does say at the risk of getting everyones hopes up. But lets be honeat, right now McGregor is gold to the UFC. They will want an event here if hea challenging for the title at that stage, and if theres an injury and he gets it before then you can be sure they would be just as happy to have a title defence here either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement