Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Was 112 the only outdoors event to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah and it took a huge swing the other way then, with Irish bookies in any case.
    US prices always open early.
    Irish/UK bookies waited about 2 weeks and then jumped on the US prices after they swung.

He'll open as a huge dog verses Aldo imo. PP and the likes will prob shorten him up to balance liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Was 112 the only outdoors event to date?

Fight night 39 was also outdoors.

I just watched the following interview. Gary touched on something I was thinking. Conor taking a break now would open him up to fight for the title in February/March. If he was to win, then it would line up for him to defend the title in the summer of next year. Next summer being the ideal time they would like to attempt an outdoor event.

There's two guaranteed weeks of good weather in Ireland that the fight could be arranged for. The week the leaving cert starts and when the schools go back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I only recently saw his latest win. I'm new enough to watching this sport, so my lack of experience might explain my question. But I think the ref was fairly quick to stop the fight there, especially when compared to the previous fight between Kennedy and the Cuban lad, where it took a good hiding for the ref to step in. Why was McGregor's match stopped so quick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Saipanne wrote: »
    I only recently saw his latest win. I'm new enough to watching this sport, so my lack of experience might explain my question. But I think the ref was fairly quick to stop the fight there, especially when compared to the previous fight between Kennedy and the Cuban lad, where it took a good hiding for the ref to step in. Why was McGregor's match stopped so quick?

It wasn't stopped to quick, Conor was all over him, the ref would have took the way he went down and how quick, and that he wasn't fighting back, the ref is there for the safety of the fighters, what good would a few hard (and they were hard) punches do. The fight was over, good call

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

It's a matter of defending yourself intelligently. Kennedy never stopped moving until the end and was defending himself, Poirier went limp and took 3 - 4 unanswered shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I think the ref was fairly quick to stop the fight there, especially when compared to the previous fight between Kennedy and the Cuban lad, where it took a good hiding for the ref to step in.

A fighter can take what appears to be a fierce beating and be badly cut up but as long as he's consciously defending himself the fight will be allowed to continue.

On the other hand Poirier got clipped above the ear, it stunned him, his arms drop to the canvas, he takes another couple of blows to the head and at that point he's at risk of serious injury because he's not lucid enough to block shots - fight stopped.

MammothVagueFluke.gif

The referees in MMA are usually very much on the ball and will stop fights the instant a fighter is unable to defend himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Ok thanks everyone. That all makes sense. Very impressive win then!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

being on the ground and not defending himself could Conor have danced on his head or is that illegal.Apart from eye gouging and biting what else is illegal?I am new to the sport so bare with me.I am glad the ref stopped the fight as Dustin was out of it and even while complaining after the bell ended the commentator said his legs were still wobbling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

being on the ground and not defending himself could Conor have danced on his head or is that illegal.Apart from eye gouging and biting what else is illegal?I am new to the sport so bare with me.I am glad the ref stopped the fight as Dustin was out of it and even while complaining after the bell ended the commentator said his legs were still wobbling.

Common sense basically- No back of the head strikes, no kicking a downed opponent, no 12-6 elbows, no eye pokes, no fish-hooking, no biting, no groin attacks, no holding a submission once the ref accepts the tap-out, no holding the cage.

That's all I can think off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

Do they wear protection on the groin area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Do they wear protection on the groin area?

Yes just in case they get lucky with the ring girls ;)

(yes they all have cups)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Common sense basically- No back of the head strikes, no kicking a downed opponent, no 12-6 elbows, no eye pokes, no fish-hooking, no biting, no groin attacks, no holding a submission once the ref accepts the tap-out, no holding the cage.

That's all I can think off the top of my head.

Also no grabbing opponents hair, gloves, shorts, knee and/or ankle wraps.

I also think no deliberate strikes to or pulling of the collarbone as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

quick question, I don't train MMA so out of curiosity,

Fighter A is pinned up against the cage by fighter B, can fighter A use cage to launch himself forward pushing fighter B on to his back. I often wondered is it against rules or is a bad move make.I often see down fighters using their legs to spin off the cage and fighter using cage to get back up, not grabbing it but shimming themselves up along it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

dave1982 wrote: »
    quick question, I don't train MMA so out of curiosity,

Fighter A is pinned up against the cage by fighter B, can fighter A use cage to launch himself forward pushing fighter B on to his back. I often wondered is it against rules or is a bad move make.I often see down fighters using their legs to spin off the cage and fighter using cage to get back up, not grabbing it but shimming themselves up along it.

If you do as suggested chances are your opponent will use your momentum, hold you, spin and flip you onto your back

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    If you do as suggested chances are your opponent will use your momentum, hold you, spin and flip you onto your back
    That wouldn't happen imo. Or else it they could just do it off every high double leg or body lock takedown.

Reason it doesn't happen is that you can't launch off the cage when your pinned against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/if-aldo-retains-should-mcgregor-get-next-poll-2839521/

Put up poll on sherdog to get an idea for how the Americans feel about Aldo v McGregor if he beats Mendes.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Charles Rosa knows the recipe to beat Conor. Surely not getting kicked around a ring by Denis Siver last Saturday would have been higher on his list of priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

There are some hilariously misinformed fighters in that video. One lad said he'd put Conor on the back foot... does he not know about Conor's counter hook? My God that fight would be over in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

There are some hilariously misinformed fighters in that video. One lad said he'd put Conor on the back foot... does he not know about Conor's counter hook? My God that fight would be over in seconds.

Mike Wilkinson. Tough as wrought iron in fairness but his style is a knockout waiting to happen against a heavy hitter like McGrrgor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Fighters with confidence in their skills, terrible isn't it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Never knew much about MMA at all until all the hype around Conor. Have to say find his style in interviews and that fantastic (much like the old boxing characters that don't seem to exist anymore). Love him or loathe him he's definitely bringing new interest in the sport (like me). But I spent a bit of time the weekend watching some of Aldos fights and that and he seems in another league than Conor. The way he attacks with kicks/knees etc. seems fierce and when the opponent is down you can see him go into full animalistic attack mode (at some fights the ref did well to stop him). So as I say I have no knowledge of the sport only what I've started to watch, is Conor on a par with him, does he have a real chance. Is Aldo as good as he seems (again I haven't a scooby), go easy on me!

pc7 wrote: »
    Never knew much about MMA at all until all the hype around Conor. Have to say find his style in interviews and that fantastic (much like the old boxing characters that don't seem to exist anymore). Love him or loathe him he's definitely bringing new interest in the sport (like me). But I spent a bit of time the weekend watching some of Aldos fights and that and he seems in another league than Conor. The way he attacks with kicks/knees etc. seems fierce and when the opponent is down you can see him go into full animalistic attack mode (at some fights the ref did well to stop him). So as I say I have no knowledge of the sport only what I've started to watch, is Conor on a par with him, does he have a real chance. Is Aldo as good as he seems (again I haven't a scooby), go easy on me!

A couple of years ago, the WEC era, Aldo appeared untouchable. You described him very well, animalistic.
    But, lately due to the standard being higher, weakness has been exposed. Ultimately he always won. But he's lost rounds, and been put in bad spots and it's proved he's not unbeatable.

Welcome to the forum.

Just seen that Mendes said that if he beats Aldo he doesn't think he gets an immediate rematch. He said he'd rather fight McGregor next, and considers him a bigger name at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

pc7 wrote: »

Aldo is a killer, no doubt. He is the full package but he certainly has weaknesses. he is one of the best champions and certainly one of the best p4p (pound for pound) fighters in the world.

He has an excellent ground game but almost never has to use it as he has some of the best defensive wrestling in the UFC. He sherks off takedown attempts from good wrestlers as if they were nothing (vs Mendes, Edgar, Faber) and even if he hits the mat he is back up like a shot.

He has a very well rounded Muay Thai based striking game, lethal combinations of knees and punches. Lethal leg kicks (as demonstrated in Faber and Edgar fights). His striking defense is minimal but very efficient. He is not a movement based fighters, he cuts his opponents off and relies on his fundamentals a lot.

His weaknesses? He is bulky for the weight class and tires in the fourth and fifth. In some fights he has intentionally given up and coasted the final round because he knows he has the fight won. This is certainly a weakness of his (see the Edgar fight, and the Hominick fight).

Conor is a movement based fighter and could catch Aldo out if he gets lazy as the rounds go on. Conor has an unorthodox style based on excellent boxing skills. As a stylistic matchup I think it's pretty good for Conor, there are worse match ups out there. You must remember Conor has finished almost all his fights via first round KO, and a handful by second round KO/sub. One decision and that's when he tore his ACL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Interesting video there.

Every time Conor McGregor fights I wish the fights were longer, that's a good sign!

John_D80 wrote: »
    Mike Wilkinson. Tough as wrought iron in fairness but his style is a knockout waiting to happen against a heavy hitter like McGrrgor.

wrought iron isn't actually tough at all. It's very strong and therefore brittle.

sorry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement