Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Classy interview with Holloway there who is one of the few that's actually been in the ring and not gotten ktfo by McGregor. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Dermighty wrote: »
    wrought iron isn't actually tough at all. It's very strong and therefore brittle.
    Wrought iron is strong which means it won't break as easy I would have thought. Iron gets hard as carbon is added and the harder iron gets the more brittle it gets. So Wrought iron is at the other end of the scale with low carbon it's softer and more malleable.

I think you're thinking of cast/pig iron.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Thanks for the fight tips I'll look them up tonight, its some sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Mellor wrote: »
    Just seen that Mendes said that if he beats Aldo he doesn't think he gets an immediate rematch. He said he'd rather fight McGregor next, and considers him a bigger name at this point.

If it's a split decision or an "early" stoppage you can be sure Aldo will get his rematch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Dermighty wrote: »

wrought iron isn't actually tough at all. It's very strong and therefore brittle.

sorry.

Nitpick much?? FFS It was a figure of speech.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

If it's a split decision or an "early" stoppage you can be sure Aldo will get his rematch

Sure barao got a battering and a late finish and still got his rematch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

adamski8 wrote: »
    Sure barao got a battering and a late finish and still got his rematch

that's why we need to hope for an easy Aldo win

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I hate instant rematches, but if Also loses you best believe he'll get one, regardless of how he loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

xtal191 wrote: »

Just about to post that. The holloway and Brimage fights make the top 10. And he's the top searched fighter. Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Half of those are McGregor pressing F5.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

The F5 button presses itself when it see McGregor coming for it:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I just watched the following interview. Gary touched on something I was thinking. Conor taking a break now would open him up to fight for the title in February/March. If he was to win, then it would line up for him to defend the title in the summer of next year. Next summer being the ideal time they would like to attempt an outdoor event.

There's two guaranteed weeks of good weather in Ireland that the fight could be arranged for. The week the leaving cert starts and when the schools go back :D

The only day you are guaranteed no rain in Ireland is on the 12th of July. I have never seen those feckers get wet marching yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

What are everyone's opinions on Kavanagh as a coach? I don't think I've seen any improvements in any of his fighters other than McGregor. Gunnar for example seems to have regressed.

I do wonder how good McGregor could be if he trained for example with American Top Team. I just can't see SBG being as advanced or the sparring partners as good as what you'd see in a gym like ATT.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Gimme a minute till i put on the popcorn. This is gonna be a good one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Jesus enough with the keyboars coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Jesus enough with the keyboars coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Maoilriain

My head says Aldo but my heart says McGregor. Has anyone seen the Aldo v Edger fight? I'm no expert but it looked to be in another league altogether. Aldo isn't ranked no.2 pound for pound in the UFC for nothing. I think McGregor needs more time before going up against the likes of Aldo/Edgar/Mendes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Anyone know what's behind that big banner on O'Connell Street? Are the UFC promoting something here or is it more of this "We're a big deal in Ireland" stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Anyone know what's behind that big banner on O'Connell Street? Are the UFC promoting something here or is it more of this "We're a big deal in Ireland" stuff?

Wouldn't surprise me if it was Conor's doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Surely its better to take action now rather than waiting for that to happen??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

t'internet says UFC arranged it... (god kows the internet is always right) Dana was in there night before the o2 spent about 5000 at the bar buying drinks according to a barman there. I drink there fairly regularly, wish I'd been there would've been gas craic

Kavanagh is a top level MMA coach by any standards and he is by all accounts personally responsible for guiding Conor and the rest of them from nothing to UFC fighters having started MMA in Ireland nearly 20 years ago training out of a garage so respect should be shown for what he's done.

There's no point in shooting down the debate of whether Conor would benefit from moving gyms now, there are some valid points to be made but it's alll armchair coaching as was said. Hownever most opinions on here are basically armchair stuff bar the very small number of fighters on here who have had pro rules fights and trained with MMA teams. My only MMA competitive experience is a couple of MMA league fights for the craic but I've been watching it as long as anyone here so from a 'fans knowledge' perspective I'd say the only important issue about Conor staying with JK or not is whether he is wrestling with goood enough guys regularly enough to prepare him for high level wrestlers in the UFC such as well... many of them... and the answer is likely - no.

But this is a common european mma problem. Americans are training wrestling muscle memory and wrestling condition and technique from 9 years old or earlier and nothing can replace that...except - a good punch in the head, Which Conor as we know is more than capable of dishing out. In fact his striking level is at such a level as to neutralise most if not all wrestlers in his division but that's partially from what we've witnessed and partially my own opinion. I don't think anyone can get him down and hold him there and do enough damage or even submit him down there because he'll hit you and damage you before you do that and you'll need to get him down very early and hold him there long enough to hurt him properly or you'll be back on your feet soon enough taking more damage from his superior striking AND footwork. So no... he's fine where he is.

He could do with somebody like JK in his head keepin him focused and his team are important to him and his loyalty to SBG and to JK and the rest of them there is very much part of his mental strength so to change that without considering the effects of that would not be smart.

There is probably a mid ground though as 'somebody' smartly suggested to me recently in a chat about this. He could be sent by John to the states to hit the mats with top guys from time to time while still doing most of his training at SBG or it's not too far a stretch to think he may in fact open his own gym! in the states or JK could open one or they both could as this person said to me - 'can you imagine a McGregor+JK SBG gym in Boston attracting top wrestling coaches?' etc and what that would do for stepping up the overall SBG team training level. It certaiinly wouldn't hurt but it's a business thing obviously. If Conor says he has loyalty and a great team with JK at SBG and wants to live here near his family friends etc then the psychological aspect of that comfort cannot be underestimated as easy as it is to suggest he would benefit from moving to one of the big top teams in the states it could risk so much but yes now is the time to think about these things or possibly regret them later.

My instinct says he should keep on keepin on don't change a thing about anything whatever it is it works and he's happy so keep going but keep an open mind to use anything that works - such is the SBG ethos as far as I know so I would think JK has thought of alll of the above numerous times and in depth and will do whatever is best for the success of his fighter/fighters based on the information he has at hand. It's much more complicated an issue than it seems, there's a financial aspect, a family and friends aspect, a team loyalty aspect, a psychological aspect, many many factes to this debate.... so I'd go with 'if it's working why change it?' unless you're firmly of the opinion a wrestler like Edgar etc is going to find him out and stop this train - I have me doubts!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

There's already an SBG in Boston, as well as afew other places in the US, Europe, Africa, Asia....
    None have had the success SBG Ireland have had in the MMA world and indeed many aren't geared towards making pro MMA fighters. Kinda evolves naturally to the needs of it's members.

was just sayin it's plausible to see JK open a gym stateside at some point with Conor pushing the brand and you could then get the top notch wrestling supposedly missing from their gym here, is all

There might be a lack of Div 1 NCAA alumni, but the wrestling coaching we have is top notch. We've seen champions from places that lack wrestling 'pedigree' from Brazil, Canada etc and have also found that whilst being able to wrestle and take guys down and make it a dog fight makes a great base for MMA, it doesn't necessarily always dovetail into guaranteed success.
    Aldo's counter wrestling has been pretty effective in keeping him in the 'W' column and Anderson Silva's complete and utter lack of offensive wrestling never held him back too much.
    Either way, regardless of what people think he should do, the approach he's been taking has gotten him this far, why make wholesale changes?
    Afew years ago we had people saying Irish and British fighters would never be title contenders because of the lack of wrestling. But now we have some of them knocking on the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Richy06 wrote: »
    There's already an SBG in Boston, as well as afew other places in the US, Europe, Africa, Asia....
    None have had the success SBG Ireland have had in the MMA world and indeed many aren't geared towards making pro MMA fighters. Kinda evolves naturally to the needs of it's members.
    Hmmm.
    Wasn't Kenny Florian based out of one of them, presumably the Boston one, before moving to Tristar.

And Randy Couture training for his early fights in the original SBG with Matt Thornton.

Edit:
    Found this on twitter. SBG Portland
    https://mobile.twitter.com/bradysrbrunch/status/350083085850783745/photos

Randy indeed did train for some time with SBG founder Matt but to be honest, I'm not sure about Ken Flo, maybe he was in Nexus? SBG East Coast/Nexus Martial Arts & Fitness also have current UFC fighter Rob Font training his grappling with SBG EC head coach Stephen Whittier and also has ties to Mark DellaGrotte's Sityodtong. But none of them have had 4 signed UFC fighters, many other pros on big orgs and a thriving ammy team etc. Not that there hasn't been previous SBG successes in that regard. SBG Mainline under Karl Tanswell in Manchester has a great fight team at the moment, for example.

I've seen those photos before alright. Pretty cool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Not really fair tbh, 1 of my lads fought a Div B wrestler and triangle choked him and he wasn't even fit and controlled him, the level of grappling in Ireland is really improving and as it improves it has a knock on effect, training partners get better etc etc

Conor overall is winning using his Boxing skills, but his Grappling skills gives him the confidence to go out and use his Boxing skills

Also people seem to forget where he is training have brought him to hear now, people on here are saying he'll beat Aldo, so in that case he certainly doesn't need to move team

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement