Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

was just sayin it's plausible to see JK open a gym stateside at some point with Conor pushing the brand and you could then get the top notch wrestling supposedly missing from their gym here, is all

I don't understand this theory that SBG Ireland is missing "top notch wrestling". The issue in terms of wrestling in most other countries outside of the US and Eastern European countries (which obviously includes Ireland) is that we have very few people in competing in or even practicing wrestling from an early age. In the states, guys are wrestling at the equivalent of primary school age. How can guys who take up wrestling training in an MMA gym at the age of 18 compete with that? I know for a fact that there are some very good (foreign) freestyle wrestling coaches in Ireland and coaching really is not the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In the states, guys are wrestling at the equivalent of primary school age. How can guys who take up wrestling training in an MMA gym at the age of 18 compete with that?.

gsp-frownPNG.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

nobody is saying the wrestling training at SBG isn't very good. It is just hard to imagine that it's AS good as the wrestling training available in the top American gyms.
    Not only is the wrestling coaching undoubtedly high in the states but the guys you're wrestling against on the mat are going to be of a higher standard too. Same goes for striking sparring partners - the larger MMA teams in the states will of course have more challenging sparring partners and more importantly a larger variety of 'types' to spar or wrestle or roll WITH, it's not rocket science - the top US gyms have more fighters, more higher class wrestling coaches and a more dynamic sparring experience to offer which SHOULD make a fighter better, most of the time. BUT - that's the thing isn't it... there just isn't a recipe for this thing... and let's be honest there's only one Conor at SBG or within the 100 MMA fighters across all Irish MMA gyms...so far. He stands out as a superior striker to the rest of them it would seem and that isn't going to be just down to any perfect training recipe, it's down so much to the individual. Conor had years of boxing training and was talented at striking a long time before his current success and it seems it was a mixture of John Kavanagh's guidance, thre SBG team and Conor's own work ethic and most importantly his sheer talent which has brought him to where he is, not a lack of OR presence of good wrestling coaching/sparring at SBG.
    What people are saying now, at this point, at this juncture is still valid though, and that is - Would Conor McGregor benefit from putting in hours on mats with a large variety of high level US wrestlers which he most likely cannot avail of at SBG Ireland and the answer if you deal with the question on its own (which as I said is unrealistic) - is probably yes, he would improve as a wrestler... and therefore be more prepared to fight the top 145ers and 155ers (when the time comes).
    But wouold he benefit from leaving JK, SBG Team and Ireland, his family, Friends and Nation ('We all go to War!') then I'd say IMO the answer is NO and that's why I'd say keep doing what yo're doing. But the debate is a valid one with or without inside SBG knowledge and it's going to come up more and more to the point that it gets annoying which will either have the effect of making people be overly defensive (pro-SBG guys, having trained in Harolds Cross many years back I would be a fan of what JK does) OR people will be open to rational armchair debate about the future of McGregor now that he's reached the cusp of UFC superstardom and very likely a FW title fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Hahaha, go tell John you think it's mostly Conor's 'sheer talent' that has gotten him this far, I'd love to hear his response.
    Talking of what he needs to do when he's still winning and making waves and is either one fight away from or next in line for a title shot just seems presumptuous to me. Let's see how he does in there against one of the dreaded wrestleboxers. If he loses and wants to reassess then hey, I'm sure he will. But if he starches him in one round without the guy getting hands on him? Everyone will say how, yeah, ok he beat a top wrestler, but what about _______.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I see much more value in fostering a team that has all the things you are talking about on home soil rather than going so far as to open a gym or send him head on into several weeks of wrestling camp in the US. The next generation of grapplers will be even scarier than this one from this country. The disparity between years spent on wrestling mats is true. But now we've kids spending all their free time on the mats and learning it alongside the rest of the martial arts they need. I don't think it's as big a problem as is made out, but certainly take your point, to an extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Hasn't Connor been training in Iceland with Gunnar and co?

• Advertisement

I personally don't see any reason for changing anything about what Conor is, is doing, where he's training,who he trains with, how he acts in the media or doesn't act, anything at all because as you say whatever he's doing is working, in alll regards, which is the amazing thing, he's doing it all ! I am merely talking out what is going to come up again and again that SBG is too small ball for Conor and wrestling wrestling wraslin etc etc and the logic of the argument for training stateside, full time, part time, visits etc.. The totality of what is going on at SBG as far as Conor is concerned seems to be brilliant in it's combination of team ethic, vision, JK's touch of magic, the rise of the irish in MMA the whole thing seems great.
    Academically though, if the best camp is GJ's and rated so year after year after year then how would that argument play out were Conor and John sitting on a couch on ESPN and were asked 'So do you see yourself reaching your potential as a fighter with JK and SBG in Dublin or will you inevitably move to the states for what some would consider a better life, better training AND financial opportunities Conor?'

I hope he stays, my heart says he will but my brain says he's living and training in the states 24 months from now, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Pretty sure he's answered questions like that already. I'd put money on him staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Hasn't Connor been training in Iceland with Gunnar and co?

Conor can't go outside the door in Ireland without drawing attention.

Coming up to a fight, it's not a great environment.

Conor has said that he prefers Reykjavik for those few weeks.

He obviously gets left alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Mellor wrote: »
    gsp-frownPNG.png

There's exceptions obviously. How many GSP's are there out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

darced wrote: »
    Gunnar,Paddy and Cathal all got out wrestled last weekend so it does raise a doubt about Conor but his striking makes it very hard for someone to commit to a takedown.

I have a feeling the first person to spam takedowns against him is going to get hammer fisted to death.

Gunnar never got the chance to be out wrestled.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

Cathal didn't get out wrestled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I honestly think it was a size issue at play too... I was surprised Gunni even hit a takedown in the first place. Rick is a high calibre wrestler in any case, no shame in getting out wrestled by him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

you mean someone who forgets about the left hand for two seconds?

Conor subbed the cage warriors featherweight champ on principle to take the belt. he did that to show the likes of Dana that he has a ground game. afaik he has a perfect takedown defense in ufc and when his leg got hurt he still out wrestled hollaway.

Will Aldo try to take it to the ground? i know he is a bb in bjj but aldo is a striker and when it comes to it people prefer striking in ufc (look at any show reel)
    i believe Aldo will try to stand up and kick against Conor and that he will shoot once he realises how fast Conor is.
    What happens then ? well thats what we are all dying to see.

Tigger wrote: »
    you mean someone who forgets about the left hand for two seconds?

Conor subbed the cage warriors featherweight champ on principle to take the belt. he did that to show the likes of Dana that he has a ground game. afaik he has a perfect takedown defense in ufc and when his leg got hurt he still out wrestled hollaway.

Will Aldo try to take it to the ground? i know he is a bb in bjj but aldo is a striker and when it comes to it people prefer striking in ufc (look at any show reel)
    i believe Aldo will try to stand up and kick against Conor and that he will shoot once he realises how fast Conor is.
    What happens then ? well thats what we are all dying to see.
    Aldo will not be afraid to strike with Conor. People don't realise how well rounded his striking game is. He has A LOT of weapons in the standup.

Out wrestling Holloway is not a big deal tbh.

Not sure I agree with the highlighted statement at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Gumbi wrote: »
    Aldo will not be afraid to strike with Conor. People don't realise how well rounded his striking game is. He has A LOT of weapons in the standup.

Out wrestling Holloway is not a big deal tbh.

Not sure I agree with the highlighted statement at all.
    i don't think Aldo will be afraid to stand up with Conor i hope thats how it goes
    link me a show reel for any fighter that is predominantly grappling and that isn't Rousey

i don't think Aldo will be afraid to stand up with Conor i hope thats how it goes
    link me a show reel for any fighter that is predominantly grappling and that isn't Rousey

You just said you think Aldo will shoot when he realises how fast Conor is. You are conteadicting yourself.

What does "people prefer striking" even mean? Show reels will obviously focus on what most people find exciting, which just so happens to be striking (because they tend to be finishing moves, grappling tends to be about improving position).

A show reel doesn't prove that striking is more predominant at all (again, whatever that means). In any case plenty of champions' show reels would show explosive takedowns, GSP, Fedor etc.

I have no idea what point you're trying to make, you aren't really making sense.

• Advertisement

Demian Maia,
    Jacare,
    Shinya Aoki,
    Dong Hyun Kim,
    John Fitch,
    Matt Hughes,
    Frank Mir,
    Fedor,
    Sakaraba,
    Genki Sudo,

That's the first 10 I thought of. I'm not linking to highlight reeks for them all, youtube then if you don't know who any are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Mellor wrote: »
    Demian Maia,
    Jacare,
    Shinya Aoki,
    Dong Hyun Kim,
    John Fitch,
    Matt Hughes,
    Frank Mir,
    Fedor,
    Sakaraba,
    Genki Sudo,

The Gracie Hunter is fighting Renzo Gracie at Metamoris 5. Last time they fought, in Pride I think, Sakuraba won by referee stoppage... he broke Renzo's arm in half with a wicked armbar/kimura thing. That's a must-see match for any grappling fan.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    The Gracie Hunter is fighting Renzo Gracie at Metamoris 5. Last time they fought, in Pride I think, Sakuraba won by referee stoppage... he broke Renzo's arm in half with a wicked armbar/kimura thing. That's a must-see match for any grappling fan.

Absolutely, massive respect for both guys for making the rematch. Renzo has so much family pride to earn back here.

Sakuraba is so old and broken though. I hope he at least has the athletic ability to compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

MagicIRL wrote: »

It reminds me of Randy The Ram v The Ayatollah at the end of The Wrestler. They are both pushing 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

McGregor wants title shot early 2015, defence in Aviva Stadium and then 155 shot

mcgregorfightingirish.jpg

UFC unveiled a massive billboard on Dublin’s O’Connell Street last Thursday in celebration of Conor McGregor’s quick finish of Dustin Poirier at UFC 178. Yet another sign of the unparalleled interest that surrounds the SBG fighter having previously been honoured in two murals in the Irish capital, he discussed how he tries not to get too caught up in the mania that surrounds him.

“It’s surreal,” acknowledged McGregor. “I try not to think too much about these things. There are murals on the side of some buildings and then we had this thing on O’Connell Street. I’m very grateful for all of the support but I try not to think about it.

“This is the beginning, I’m only warming up here. At the end of the day I’m out to get a world title and that’s all that’s on my mind. I feel the support of my nation, I just embrace it and carry on doing what I’m doing.”

The cultural resonance of McGregor seems to be incomparable to any athlete that his country has produced and when asked about it, the Dubliner likened the support he receives to fellow combat sportsman Ricky Hatton.

MUCH MORE >> http://severemma.com/2014/10/mcgregor-wants-title-shot-early-2015-defence-in-aviva-stadium-and-then-155-shot/

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

SevereMMA wrote: »
    The cultural resonance of McGregor seems to be incomparable to any athlete that his country has produced..
    A bit over the top I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

Henry9 wrote: »
    A bit over the top I think.

You could argue that he has taken MMA from an unknown sport to a mainstream sport in Ireland, with all newspapers, Irish free to air and subscription TV stations all pushing him and MMA now

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

SevereMMA wrote: »
    You could argue that he has taken MMA from an unknown sport to a mainstream sport in Ireland, with all newspapers, Irish free to air and subscription TV stations all pushing him and MMA now
    You could argue a lot of things, doesn't make them true.
    If you think MMA is a mainstream sport in Ireland, you are dreaming.

Anyway, how that translates into cultural resonance, whatever that is, is beyond me.

The media are certainly interested in him, and have decided that he is box office.
    Any evidence that the wider sport is becoming 'mainstream'? Take McGregor out of the picture and they will lose interest pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I think Steve Collins had huge sport in his day, way more than Conor but then again Conor not in limelight long.

Well done to Conor for his fame but trying to avoid spoilers is next to impossible :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement