Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Conor was watching love hate and eating King crisps and went to twitter in Nidge mode lol

He's easily pleased anyway. Thought it was a fairly paint by numbers episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Surely he has to fight the winner of Swanson v Edgar? If he wins that then a tilt at the title in 2015. It seems like that is the only sensible way that this can go. I know the UFC are not noted for their fairness but if Swanson beats Edgar then he is more entitled to a title shot than McGregor is and he's at least entitled to fight McGregor in a title eliminator.

I'd like to see the Siver fight. The timing is perfect, if they announced this now, they could do it in December or early January. Siver would be the most interesting striker McGregor has faced to date, it would be a really fun fight to watch.

I'm kind of a bit tired with the title fight talk, what contender fits where and what's fair and not fair etc, I'd just like to see them make good fights and I think Siver is one. I hope they book it sooner rather than later.

Sivers very good, Id be concerned it might be an unnecessary risk. Sivers got skills in every area, he schooled that kid the other week on the ground and the kid was supposed to be a ground phenom. And he's got great standup, exceptional kicks and ****loads of experience one of the most experienced guys in the game. His big problem of course is the T-Rex arms. But I think theres many easier opponents out there if its just a pay day and to keep relevant. Diego would have been perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Sivers very good, Id be concerned it might be an unnecessary risk. Sivers got skills in every area, he schooled that kid the other week on the ground and the kid was supposed to be a ground phenom. And he's got great standup, exceptional kicks and ****loads of experience one of the most experienced guys in the game. His big problem of course is the T-Rex arms. But I think theres many easier opponents out there if its just a pay day and to keep relevant. Diego would have been perfect!

look if he can't beat Siver there's not much point in him going up against Cub, Edgar, or Aldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Siver just out muscled your man. Dont think he would do that to conor. Conors reach would pick him off really easy. Wouldn't like to see the little juicer get all the publicity either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

If Cub beats Frankie then he has to get a TS, no question. Even with his lack of excitement outside the ring he'd have to get one, his wins are just far too good. His record is already better than Conor's so if he beats a guy who was considered P4P top 3 not long ago and recently gave Aldo a decent fight he'd have to get one. I see Frankie winning though, which would mean Conor has a good chance of a TS seeing Frankie fought him in 2013.

It looks like Conor, Cub and Bermudez will all fight soon, the 3 main potential challengers seeing 2 haven't fought Aldo yet and the other fought him donkey's years ago. Conor's needs to win and for Cub to lose to get his shot next imo, and Aldo to win obviously. Bermudez is a little lower down but if he beats Lamas he's in with a shout soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

A fight aganst Siver would be absolute madness. Conor just beat the #5 guy in the world and is being mentioned as the next challenger to the title. I'm not saying he should sit out, but fighting someone like Siver is an absolute no-win for Conor. Firstly, he's a known drugs cheat, secondly, he's not a "name". Beating him would prove nothing Losing would be a disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

If he wants to fight now though like he says he wants to then he needs to take a step down. Whether it's Siver, Guida, Stephens or Lentz. All high risk/low reward opponents.

On one hand I think he needs another fight before Aldo, but on the other I think he could potentially be waiting a while if he takes another and I think he has a very good chance to be Aldo's next challenger if he waits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I really hope he doesn't fight Siver. The critics will just complain, and maybe rightly so, that he won't have fought anyone with a grappling heavy game yet, and Siver is quite one dimensional.

I think Conor would maul Siver.

Being realistic, the fight that makes most sense is vs Bermudez. He's on a 7 fight win streak, and theres absolutely no way they could deny him a title shot if he wins

Just read there now that Bermudez is fighting Lamas. Winner of that fight definitely makes sense, maybe in December/January, then he fights for the title in march/april, and defends it in july! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Am not saying he should sit out, but fighting someone like Siver is an absolute no-win for Conor.

I dunno, might be worth it for the 175 GEEEEEEESSSSSSS BABAAAAAAAYYY

Handy money for Conor and keeps his name in the air as he will hype the shyte out of it. I really really hope they give him a wrestler. I think both fans and critics alike want to see how he does. Personally, I think training with who he trains with has to give some kind of a ground game. Also, I want to see him uppercut KO someone shooting in. When he does beat a wrestler, people will still find a way to put it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I think he needs to stay active. He took very little damage against Poirier (one decent punch that broke his tooth aside) and he can keep his name out there and make himself some cash cash money by fighting again. I'd say late January would be a decent timeline, would allow him to go again in March/April against one of the big dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I wonder if Conor's next fight will be 155? Preserve the 145 hype and start building the 155?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I think another fight before he meets Aldo (?) is madness. I know it's difficult for him to sit on the sidelines for now bit the risks far outweigh the rewards. One lucky punch from a comparative no-mark like Siver/Guida/Lentz etc puts a stop to his title ambition there and then.

If Mendes beats Aldo and they schedule a rematch, let him campaign for the winner of Cub/Edgar. Win that and he is the absolute No 1 contender, no question. Other than that, he should just bide his time. Difficult I know but now is the time for prudence while he is sitting pretty. It's pretty obvious the UFC brass want him to get the next shot at Aldo.

I just genuinely believe he should hold tough right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Hes going to need another fight because IMO mendes is going to win the belt on Saturday, and deservingly so Aldo will get an instant rematch. I could be saying that with rose tinted glasses because Mendes is my favorite fighter in the UFC but I think this is the best possible time because hes in the shape of his life. I agree with most that Siver would be a step backwards, maybe before the brandao fight this was sensible but not now. If Mendes wins then the winner of Cub/ Edgar is the only logical fight for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

Sivers twitter response to conor was pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I can't see how sitting out is an option. In a few months time, the rest of the division will have climbed above him. Cub/Edgar and Lamas/Bermudez are two huge match ups for the title picture. Only Lamas is really unsuitable for a title shot. I don't rule out Frankie's as he's had the same wait as Mendes, 3 title fights.

The two winners of these matches will be ahead of Conor in the rankings, possibly the losers too.
    He needs to stay active to stay in contention. The logical fight right now is Lentz. He's one if the better wrestlers in the division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Hard to disagree with that. There's nothing worse than seeing healthy fighters sitting out and waiting for a title fight like Evans did. The world keeps turning and their career passes them by.

Lentz and Siver are the only two fighters available at the minute. I'd prefer to see the Siver fight purely from and entertainment point of view but no doubt that beating Lentz would answer a lot of doubts that people seem to have so maybe that's the more rewarding fight of the two.

Either way I'd be happier to see McGregor fight Lentz/Siver rather than him being shelved for 4-6 months while the other contender fights play out, even if there's a risk of banana skins. It's worth the risk in my opinion, he's still only 26 and still improving.

One option is that someone will pull out of those FW fights and conor slots in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kinggo99

Hard to disagree with that. There's nothing worse than seeing healthy fighters sitting out and waiting for a title fight like Evans did. The world keeps turning and their career passes them by.

Lentz and Siver are the only two fighters available at the minute. I'd prefer to see the Siver fight purely from and entertainment point of view but no doubt that beating Lentz would answer a lot of doubts that people seem to have so maybe that's the more rewarding fight of the two.

Either way I'd be happier to see McGregor fight Lentz/Siver rather than him being shelved for 4-6 months while the other contender fights play out, even if there's a risk of banana skins. It's worth the risk in my opinion, he's still only 26 and still improving.

I'd rather him fight myself,but Siver isn't gonna do him any good reputation wise,people will still accuse the UFC of protecting him if he takes that fight,as Siver although a very dangerous opponent imo,to most of the haters of Conor he's tailor made to lose v Conor.

And Lentz although i agree seems like an opponent that would definitely boost Conors ability to deal with wrestling credentials,i don't see the UFC giving him that fight,Lentz is a very big featherweight one of the biggest and there is a danger he smothers Conor,but i spose it is the logical match up with everyone else already matched up,but i really don't see the UFC making that fight.

There is the hope/possibility of injuries in all the other match ups you got Aldo/Mendes,Cub/Frankie,Lamas/Bermudez, 6 fighters if one gets an injury can jump right into any of them 2 fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

The timing is all wrong, if Conor sits and waits for the title fight he'll be waiting a long time, possibly the second quarter of 2015 at the earliest.

UFC won't want him sitting back, he's a huge draw and a fight with Siver would do very well for both Conor and UFC in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The timing is all wrong, if Conor sits and waits for the title fight he'll be waiting a long time, possibly the second quarter of 2015 at the earliest.

UFC won't want him sitting back, he's a huge draw and a fight with Siver would do very well for both Conor and UFC in the meantime.

And if he loses to Siver there's the cash cow gone, for a while anyway. He'll get the title fight next

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I would like to see Joe Duffy get into the ufc and see the rematch at the tail end of their career

• Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Anyone happen to catch Conor's coach, John Kavanagh on RTE radio this morning? Three words: Touch of class!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

walshb wrote: »
    Anyone happen to catch Conor's coach, John Kavanagh on RTE radio this morning? Three words: Touch of class!

What show, and what time?

What show, and what time?

RTE radio 1 @ about 1040 hrs this morning. The Business Show was the programme. It's on the site now:http://www.rte.ie/radio/

Look at the tab 'Very Latest' Scroll through this tab. About a quarter way down you will see John Kavanagh. You can listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

walshb wrote: »
    RTE radio 1 @ about 1040 hrs this morning. The Business Show was the programme. It's on the site now:http://www.rte.ie/radio/

Look at the tab 'Very Latest' Scroll through this tab. About a quarter way down you will see John Kavanagh. You can listen to it.

Heres the link

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20667489%3A0%3A%3A

xtal191 wrote: »

I don't know why I didn't just copy that link instead of the round the world directions....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I would have liked to have seen Siver/McGregor in Dublin had the former not been banned. Taking that fight now just seems reckless in my opinion.

It's a risky fight too. In my opinion, he should get the winner (or loser depending on how the fight goes) between Cub/Edgar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

califano wrote: »
    I would like to see Joe Duffy get into the ufc and see the rematch at the tail end of their career

Joe Duffy is an overweight radio presenter, too old and would get killed in the ufc. How he ever beat mcgregor is beyond me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement