Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

And if he loses to Siver there's the cash cow gone, for a while anyway. He'll get the title fight next

He won't lose to Siver. If they fight 10 times he'll win each time. The fight would be worth a lot of money to both parties(UFC and McGregor). Sitting back and waiting for the winner of Aldo v Mendes will take too long though. A fight for Conor in the meantime makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Joe Duffy is an overweight radio presenter, too old and would get killed in the ufc. How he ever beat mcgregor is beyond me.

Joe wouldn't look out of place in the UFC . He probably would never make an impact on the division but he could get a run though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Joe Duffy is an overweight radio presenter, too old and would get killed in the ufc. How he ever beat mcgregor is beyond me.

I disagree, Joe is proven to produce triplets at one standing and is able to grow a full beard in 24 hours. And less of the overweight slurs as Joe cuts so easily especially on fiver Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭glass half full

Joe Duffy would be a tricky opponent as he has little respect for the rules and would fight duuuuuurty!

He has no respect for the correct pronunciation of place names either, like: Lisbon (Joe pronounces it "Liz Baaaawn") or Tenerife (which he pronounces "Tenner eeeee faaaay").

He would bring a sense of class to the walk-ins however as he is fond of wearing neckerchiefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Conor and John Kavanagh on beyond the octagon tommorow. Wouldn't be surprised if a fight was announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Conor and John Kavanagh on beyond the octagon tommorow. Wouldn't be surprised if a fight was announced.

Yeah, John said "you probably don't wanna miss this one", has to be a fight announcement. Probably Siver and not a top 5 or title fight but actually couldn't care, mad to see him in action again and hype the shyte out of whatever card he's on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Conor and John Kavanagh on beyond the octagon tommorow.

For anyone who misses this or doesn't have the channel, the show will also be on Fight Pass too from now on according to Garth Davis' twitter.

Haha finally ads i can use, dethrone ad on above the last post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Everyone see different ads depending on what sites they've been on ;)

This was retweeted by Lentz today;
    @Mellor888
    I wish they'd hurry up and announce @TheNotoriousMMA vrs NikLentz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

That would be a great fight to prove McGregor can beat a wrestler. Nik is a big FW with good wrestling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

It's the worst fight the UFC could make from a business perspective. Lentz is one of those big grinding guys who's hard to look good against. Even Chad Mendes looked unimpressive in beating him. If they were going to give him a wrestler they should give him Guida. At least he's more of a name for the casual fans. The staredown would be epic too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kinggo99

CM24 wrote: »
    It's the worst fight the UFC could make from a business perspective. Lentz is one of those big grinding guys who's hard to look good against. Even Chad Mendes looked unimpressive in beating him. If they were going to give him a wrestler they should give him Guida. At least he's more of a name for the casual fans. The staredown would be epic too.

Totally agree with you here,Lentz would be a terrible match up imo,i'd hope Conor could take him but its an unnecessary risk at this stage of his UFC career.

Mellor wrote: »
    Everyone see different ads depending on what sites they've been on ;)

This was retweeted by Lentz today;

I dunno, I've never once visited dublin City of commerce site :)

Gas anyway if he does announce the fight. He said before only the king announces when he fights. Sickner for the other guy to be told by ufc 'stay quiet, conor will announce the fight'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

kinggo99 wrote: »
    Totally agree with you here,Lentz would be a terrible match up imo,i'd hope Conor could take him but its an unnecessary risk at this stage of his UFC career.

I disagree with this, at the minute mcgregor has the momentum and possibly the UFC want to find out if he can really get at Aldo..its a good fight were he might be made to work more than his recent opps have given him.

Say conor runs through lenz and stuffs a few takedowns this will dispel the questions around how he handles a wrestler and can only be a good thing.

It's the worst fight the UFC could make from a business perspective. Lentz is one of those big grinding guys who's hard to look good against. Even Chad Mendes looked unimpressive in beating him.
    That's the point.

Cub grinds a win verses Porrier.
    McGregor puts him away in the first.

Chad grinds it out verses Lentz.
    Conor could put him away imo.

Retracing the steps of the divisions no.1 and 2, and doing a better job us exactly what he wants to be doing imo.
    Guida is 2-4 in his last 6, and 2-2 at FW being finished by both top 10 guys he's fought. Beating him highlights nothing for McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I'd prefer Guida fight tbh, even though Guida probably lower raking than Lentz he's still a bigger name, plus Lentz fight could be dangerous Conor could spend 15/25 mins on his back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I disagree with this, at the minute mcgregor has the momentum and possibly the UFC want to find out if he can really get at Aldo..its a good fight were he might be made to work more than his recent opps have given him.

Say conor runs through lenz and stuffs a few takedowns this will dispel the questions around how he handles a wrestler and can only be a good thing.

Exactly my thinking. What 's the point in him waiting around to be overtaken by the winners of the Edgar/Cub and Bermudez/Lamas fights?

The title shot is out of reach for the moment so he needs to go again. He has to show that he's capable of beating these guys. I've said it before, but if he can't handle Lentz, he doesn't have much of a hope against Aldo.

To address the point about Lentz grinding out a high-pressure gameplan win against Conor; I don't think Conor will allow him to get that close to him. He'll back him up with kicks and jabs and not allow him to get into a rythm. That's the way I see this going. In each of Conor's UFC fights, with the exception of Brandao possibly, the opponent has looked a shadow of his usual self. Not comfortable, not sure what to do. I see this match-up going a similar way.

Thats all well and good if Conor puts him away handily,but this is mma and anything can happen and do they want to risk that big headlinder Mcgregor v Aldo for the title which right now will do big numbers,it's even possible that he can beat Aldo but struggles with Lentz who is massive at this weight.

Personally i hope Conor can live up to the hype and prove the doubters wrong,but unless he is the second coming of Bruce Lee he will eventually get pulled down and wrestled to defeat,it happens to everyone at some stage so they should be avoiding potential banana skins if at all possible at this stage,why take such a risk for little reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Thats all well and good if Conor puts him away handily,but this is mma and anything can happen and do they want to risk that big headlinder Mcgregor v Aldo for the title which right now will do big numbers,it's even possible that he can beat Aldo but struggles with Lentz who is massive at this weight.

Personally i hope Conor can live up to the hype and prove the doubters wrong,but unless he is the second coming of Bruce Lee he will eventually get pulled down and wrestled to defeat,it happens to everyone at some stage so they should be avoiding potential banana skins if at all possible at this stage,why take such a risk for little reward.

I hear ya but you say why take a risk?..conor doesnt have a belt so there is no risk, imo he isnt getting aldo yet so needs to keep his momentum going and fortunately this isnt boxing where fighters get easy matches.

If he belongs at the top level he will beat lentz and then imagine the buzz about a possible title fight with aldo.

dave1982 wrote: »
    plus Lentz fight could be dangerous Conor could spend 15/25 mins on his back
    Avoiding Lentz in favourite of the easier fight in Guida, is not really title challenger mentality.

The title fight is off the table right now by the sounds of things. Sitting out isn't an option. One more fight.
    He needs a big win to put himself ahead of Cub/Frankie/Bermudez

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I thought everyone would be using ad-blockers by now? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Not really, he still won ever round convincingly with a serious chest infection. I know how hard it is to try play football at a high level with a chest infection, id say multiply that by 100 for an MMA fight.

I agree though this is the worst possible matchup imo, if it does get annouced it really should have been v guida or miller. Im not worried as such its just like everyone has already said Lentz is very big at this weight, Conor is also though so itl be interesting. I do think however Conor will put him away, he has the tools to do it easy enough but this will be the test he needs to prove to everyone his ground game isnt as bad as they think. But saying that watch hes going to go out and KO him in the first and people will still question him :pac::p

I hear ya but you say why take a risk?..conor doesnt have a belt so there is no risk, imo he isnt getting aldo yet so needs to keep his momentum going and fortunately this isnt boxing where fighters get easy matches.

If he belongs at the top level he will beat lentz and then imagine the buzz about a possible title fight with aldo.

That option should he win is better for Conors rep to take Lentz out first,but there is risk for the UFC,he might not have a belt or be champion but he is a bigger draw than the champion so in money terms he is the champion,and the UFC is all about the money.

Don't get me wrong id favour him big time to take out Lentz but i'd be surprised if this the match up the ufc choose for him to fight in the mean time,Guida might be an easier choice but in some ways he poses the same issues,i don't like him or his style but its hard to forget how he shut down Pettis with his come forward grinding style.

I think the smart thing and what they will do is to wait the outcome of Aldo,Mendez,who knows what happens in this fight,if Aldo blows him out of it in the first round he will be fit and healthy for a quick turn around fight with Conor,so i think they will wait until that fights over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Mellor wrote: »
    Avoiding Lentz in favourite of the easier fight in Guida, is not really title challenger mentality.

Oh I agree thats why I said I prefer to see him against Guida cause Lentz is no joke way better wrestler than Guida and Conor hasn't fought anyone that wanted to wrestle him yet, everyone wanted to strike with him so far.

I have stopped doubting Conor at this stage though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

dave1982 wrote: »
    Oh I agree thats why I said I prefer to see him against Guida cause Lentz is no joke way better wrestler than Guida and Conor hasn't fought anyone that wanted to wrestle him yet, everyone wanted to strike with him so far.

I have stopped doubting Conor at this stage though :D

I'm confused, so you want him to fight guida cause its the easier fight??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Conor apparently appearing on Beyond the Octagon tonight on Btsport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Its on fight pass too

Ya apparently announcing his next fight.

He has a q&a live from brazil on friday 6pm Irish time.

Ah no fight announcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Ah no fight announcement.

was it on already?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement