Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Conor gets another scrum :eek::eek::eek:

Reckons Irish fans would treat Aldo the same as Conor got in Brazil

He treid to get on the mexico card, tbf he wants to fights

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/10/24/7065285/conor-mcgregor-ufc-179-scrum-video

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Who Cares what people say about his wrestling.

Its called MIXED martial arts, you can use whatever you like to win a fight, that's all that matters in the end.

You are completely missing the point. People are complain about a lack of offensive wrestling, they are questioning his defensive wrestling.
    dave1982 wrote: »
    Reckons Irish fans would treat Aldo the same as Conor got in Brazil
    I really don't think they would tbh. Look at Cub when he came to dublin, it was nothing like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Stockton209

For the people questioning his wrestling I see some guys thinking a wrestler is going to whoop him for some reason or that its a style he cant over come just one question to these doubters,

Name me the years Jose Aldo Gsp or Anderson silva competed in the NCAA's? zero wrestling back round between them yet all true legendary martial artists didnt stop them not having a wrestling back round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Mellor wrote: »

I really don't think they would tbh. Look at Cub when he came to dublin, it was nothing like that.

Cub is respectful though, he never said anything insulting about Conor. Conor has bashed Aldo a lot in the media so he was always going to get a hostile reception in Brazil, same as Chael. The guy commenting about his mother was crossing the line though.

• Advertisement

For the people questioning his wrestling I see some guys thinking a wrestler is going to whoop him for some reason or that its a style he cant over come just one question to these doubters,

Name me the years Jose Aldo Gsp or Anderson silva competed in the NCAA's? zero wrestling back round between them yet all true legendary martial artists didnt stop them not having a wrestling back round.
    Jose Also's background is BJJ. Before MMA, he was competing at the worlds as all the way up to brown. His takedown defence spawns from that.
    GSP clearly worked on wrestling with OCD level dedication.

Nobody is saying that Conor will lose because he never wrestled growing up. The point isn't that the likes of Aldo, GSP, etc were never NCAA wrestlers. It's that their abilities have been tested against the best wrestlers, repeatedly. They proven themselves.

It's perfectly reasonable for people to question Conor's grappling when the only one opponent attempted anything and was shutdown fairly fast. (Brandao)
    It's also perfectly reasonable to have faith in his abilities based on who he trains with, his dedication, and the fact he now has brown belt.

Jose Also's background is BJJ. Before MMA, he was competing at the worlds as all the way up to brown. His takedown defence spawns from that.
    GSP clearly worked on wrestling with OCD level dedication.

Nobody is saying that Conor will lose because he never wrestled growing up. The point isn't that the likes of Aldo, GSP, etc were never NCAA wrestlers. It's that their abilities have been tested against the best wrestlers, repeatedly. They proven themselves.

It's perfectly reasonable for people to question Conor's grappling when the only one opponent attempted anything and was shutdown fairly fast. (Brandao)
    It's also perfectly reasonable to have faith in his abilities based on who he trains with, his dedication, and the fact he now has brown belt.

I know the 3 champions I named are very high level bjj guys way above Conors standard but all I'm seen is wrestler this and that give him lentz blah blah

As someone has said its MMA not a wrestling competition they can shoot all day but elbows will rain down on them imo,

people making big statement about lentz being a challenge with his wrestling well why not turn it around and say Conor is in a whole other league when it comes to striking for lentz its pure nit picking trying to find a way of him losing and its just not going to happen any day soon wrestling wont stop him becoming champ.

As his coach says its a sad day when he has the perfect fight an answers these questions because there wont be as much interest then.

Cub is respectful though, he never said anything insulting about Conor. Conor has bashed Aldo a lot in the media so he was always going to get a hostile reception in Brazil, same as Chael. The guy commenting about his mother was crossing the line though.
    I haven't seen him say anything too bad about Aldo, compared to Siver, Porrier, etc, at least that I've seen. He certainly hasn't insulted Brazil as a nation like Chael did all the time.

I haven't seen him say anything too bad about Aldo, compared to Siver, Porrier, etc, at least that I've seen.

He said Aldo is on his way out, deteriorating as a fighter etc, pretty insulting. Brazil fans stick by their fighters, same as us really.

He said Aldo is on his way out, deteriorating as a fighter etc, pretty insulting. Brazil fans stick by their fighters, same as us really.

Ah would ya stop out of that there was nothing personal said about aldo like their was against dustin or siver nothing remotely like the pea head comments or steroid jibe,he just said hes on a downward spiral which he could well be if thats his opinion its a fair view to hold,

I would bet my life if Aldo done a Q+A in Dublin nobody would start abusing him or bringing his family into it,absolutely no chance.

• Advertisement

Ah would ya stop out of that there was nothing personal said about aldo like their was against dustin or siver nothing remotely like the pea head comments or steroid jibe,he just said hes on a downward spiral which he could well be if thats his opinion its a fair view to hold,

I would bet my life if Aldo done a Q+A in Dublin nobody would start abusing him or bringing his family into it,absolutely no chance.

I never compared the Aldo insults to the Siver and Dustin insults, I don't know why that is being thrown at me. And I already said the comments about his family were crossing the line.

I never compared the Aldo insults to the Siver and Dustin insults, I don't know why that is being thrown at me. And I already said the comments about his family were crossing the line.

How is stating a fighter is deteriorating ''insulting''? its all pie in the sky either way,Cant tarnish a whole country because of a handful of fans but they stepped over the line.

How is stating a fighter is deteriorating ''insulting''? its all pie in the sky either way,Cant tarnish a whole country because of a handful of fans but they stepped over the line.

Conor said that about Aldo before he even fought Dustin. A guy who has fought 3 unranked guys making claims like that about one of the most dominant champions in the UFC is insulting. And again, I already said some fans crossed the line mentioning his family.

Conor said that about Aldo before he even fought Dustin. A guy who has fought 3 unranked guys making claims like that about one of the most dominant champions in the UFC is insulting. And again, I already said some fans crossed the line mentioning his family.

never mind his 3 fights ive fought nobody in the ufc and if i want to say somebody is deteriorating does it make me insulting? ive seen aldo comment on mcgregor much worse than saying hes deteriorating thats for sure.

never mind his 3 fights ive fought nobody in the ufc and if i want to say somebody is deteriorating does it make me insulting? ive seen aldo comment on mcgregor much worse than saying hes deteriorating thats for sure.

Aldo hasn't lost a fight in 9 years and he's in his prime. How is he deteriorating?

Aldo hasn't lost a fight in 9 years and he's in his prime. How is he deteriorating?

Hes not getting any better anyways I thought he beat Lamas easily enough but it was not a great performance,lamas is a 5-10 ranked guy imo conor would take him out

Mcgregor has not gone to decision in his career bar the injury to holloway which was one of his best wins imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

What he said mightn't necessarily be insulting but it was certainly disrespectful. But when you're in the business of trading fists and making a name for yourself, there isn't a huge amount to be gotten for being respectful; it's not the best way to get ahead in the business. He wouldn't be in the position he's in now if he had been respectful and polite. Conor can start being respectful when he's in his twilight years, when his opponents and himself have already been through it all. Currently, he's backing up his words with his actions, later, when he's performed at the highest level for a certain period of time (like Aldo has) he wont' need the words; his actions will have stated everything for him.

Serious question, do you think Aldo's UFC performances, especially recent one, have been impressive as his WEC ones? He hasn't been nearly as dominant.

Could he regain it? Absolutely. But it's no secret that he's not the same fighter he was, right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Serious question, do you think Aldo's UFC performances, especially recent one, have been impressive as his WEC ones? He hasn't been nearly as dominant.

Could he regain it? Absolutely. But it's no secret that he's not the same fighter he was, right now.

Didn't seem to work for GSP though. He has gone down a similar path. When McGregor and Aldo do fight, McGregor will throw hard shots early which you would imagine would hurt Aldo, but would force him to retreat imo. McGregor Aldo will be like GSP Hendricks but McGregor will actually put Aldo away

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Didn't seem to work for GSP though. He has gone down a similar path.
    What did work for GSP?
    When McGregor and Aldo do fight, McGregor will throw hard shots early which you would imagine would hurt Aldo, but would force him to retreat imo. McGregor Aldo will be like GSP Hendricks but McGregor will actually put Aldo away
    Aldo will be firing back the same hard shots imo.

• Advertisement

What did work for GSP?

Aldo will be firing back the same hard shots imo.

I'm not saying anything worked for GSP, I'm saying himself and Aldo have faced similar title domination paths. I think McGregor is the match for Aldo in that Hendricks was of GSP.

If Aldo hits the same hard shots why does he only have one legit knockout in the UFC? He was knocking out guys for fun in the WEC. Similar to GSP who won his last what, 7 fights? through decision.

If Aldo hits as hard as Conor, why has Conor 3 knockouts in 4 fights (Granted against far weaker opponents, but Poirer is probably better then Lamas)

Probably not, but there are factors to consider. He's fighting higher level guys now. All his fights now are five rounds so he has to has to be cautious to conserve his energy. Sometimes I think he coasts a bit, but he's so far ahead of most of the division in terms of ability that I think he can afford to.

Probably not, but there are factors to consider. He's fighting higher level guys now. All his fights now are five rounds so he has to has to be cautious to conserve his energy. Sometimes I think he coasts a bit, but he's so far ahead of most of the division in terms of ability that I think he can afford to.

Surely he'd rather knock someone out then coast? While none of us know the definitive answer, and I completly see your point of view, Meeting Aldo is going to be a great barrier for Conor and if he can put Aldo away he could go on to be on of the greats in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I have not been able to find a video of the Q & A with subtitles and as the translators weren't actually translating forthe cameras, it was pretty much unwatchable.

I was able to gather that there was insult delivered about Conor's family a few minutes in. Can anybody clarify for me exactly what was said then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

You are completely missing the point. People are complain about a lack of offensive wrestling, they are questioning his defensive wrestling.

I think you're completely missing the point.

Conor has the right to try win a fight in the UFC whatever way he wants.

Whether he wins by not submitting or defending himself on the ground or knocking someone out and keeping the fight on his feet that's his choice.

Its up to the other fighter to try beat him in wrestling if that's his strong point.

It's called mixed martial arts and you win in whatever way you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Spot on darced. It's pretty clear, Lentz has been calling him out on twitter for a while now as well. That fight could easily have been made but they had the opportunity to put him in against Siver in Boston. They'll make more money from that fight and there's less risk of their cash cow being beaten imo, easy choice. He'll have to come up against a wrestler eventually though and it'll be unknown territory, the more time he waits the more time he has to work on it though hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I dont think its full on protection. The UFC just don't like wrestlers period. Boring fights and they don't make money so they don't like matching them up with stars who can put on good fights and earn money. They don't care too much what the hardcore fans want to see as a test as they will watch regardless.

Isnt lentz coming off a loss anyway. Guida has been sliding far down too so they both dont really deserve to fight conor and everyone else is tied up. Better for him to keep fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

adamski8 wrote: »
    I dont think its full on protection. The UFC just don't like wrestlers period. Boring fights and they don't make money so they don't like matching them up with stars who can put on good fights and earn money. They don't care too much what the hardcore fans want to see as a test as they will watch regardless.

Isnt lentz coming off a loss anyway. Guida has been sliding far down too so they both dont really deserve to fight conor and everyone else is tied up. Better for him to keep fighting.

Exactly look at shields getting cut after a loss to Lombard, which there was no shame in because hes a beast. He was 4-0 before that then got cut. They want exciting styles in the UFC ala how Pat Walsh got so much praise on TUF 19 because he walked forward with his hands down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

More airtime for Conor, hes getting more than nearly every fighter on the card.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement