Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    By that logic it's ok to call every Muslim an Al-Qaeda member or a suicide bomber and to call every priest a paedophile. Siver is not a Nazi and to refer to him as one is racism in its purest form.

I disagree, I think theres a difference between humour and hatred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Saipanne wrote: »
    I don't think he meant it as a compliment.

My comment was more in reference to the 'it's a bit of craic' line of defence.

Wouldn't we have to dispense with comedy clubs and make anything that takes the piss out of another nations history as illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

My comment was more in reference to the 'it's a bit of craic' line of defence.

I think it's borderline insensitive. I wouldn't say it myself, to a German, but I don't think it's as bad as certain racial slurs out there. I'd rate it on a par with insensitive comments about the Irish famine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Calling someone a paddy or a spud muncher or whatever you have is a lot less offensive than calling someone a Nazi (IMO of course).

I live abroad also, not sure what your point was.

• Advertisement

Calling someone a paddy or a spud muncher or whatever you have is a lot less offensive than calling someone a Nazi (IMO of course).

?

As for the top part. Why? A million people starved to death. Another million forced to emigrate. How is that any less emotive than the gas chambers? Is it the numbers dead? Is six million really more shocking than one million? What's the difference once you reach such enormous numbers?

I don't think you understand the issue, to be honest. Not at all.

Its where do you draw the line on taking the piss out of someone using humour based on that persons origin, very very subjective. IF you put 'fu*****" before paddy it could become more offensive straight away.
    I guess my point about living overseas was about coming across this kind of banter every day, its common place in life. But maybe this is why people say the Irish are so friendly, because we have a good sense of humour.

Wouldn't we have to dispense with comedy clubs and make anything that takes the piss out of another nations history as illegal?

Hyperbole, plain and simple. Also where was the humour in what Conor posted? Inferring a Russian is a Nazi seems devoid of the humourous part essential to humour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's a very offensive thing to say, maybe you can make a joke about it in private to your close friends but if I called someone that in public here in Austria there would be a ****storm.

Hyperbole, plain and simple. Also where was the humour in what Conor posted? Inferring an ethnic Russian is a Nazi seems devoid of the humourous part essential to humour.

He's of German descendants, albeit he was born in Russia. Probably why he has a german nationality.

• Advertisement

Hyperbole, plain and simple. Also where was the humour in what Conor posted? Inferring an ethnic Russian is a Nazi seems devoid of the humourous part essential to humour.
    Siver is ethnic German though, born in Russia.

To be honest I had started to warm to McGregor a bit and I used to think he was a funny guy who occasionally said things that made him sound like a dickhead, but now I realise he is just a dickhead who occasionally says funny things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

The UFC is an american company. Americans and American companies are notoriously PC. Its offensive to say or do anything that singles any one group out. People say "Happy Holidays" instead of happy Christmas, because they don't want to single out a group that doesn't celebrate Christmas.

I think many people in Ireland do not have a PC filter as they don't think many of these words are offensive merely funny. We are quite far behind the US in this regard (maybe for the better in some cases) as in the US it can be excessive.

None the less the UFC is a work place and racial/cultural stereotyping or sexism should not be allowed in any work place.

I am sure anyone on the anti MMA wagon in Germany will also latch onto this comment also, whenever it suits them.

He's of German descendants, albeit he was born in Russia. Probably why he has a german nationality.

You missed the actual point. You seem to be defending humour and the right to make jokes. My point is, was what Conor said objectively humourous? Not by any stretch of the imagination. Conor hasn't been 'silenced' here. The word Nazi can be used in humour, but just calling someone a Nazi is not humerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I think he should be fined at the very least.

I think he should be fined at the very least.
    Has anyone ever been sued for defamation? Not suggesting it, just wondering

You missed the actual point. You seem to be defending humour and the right to make jokes. My point is, was what Conor said objectively humourous? Not by any stretch of the imagination. Conor hasn't been 'silenced' here. The word Nazi can be used in humour, but just calling someone a Nazi is not humerous.

Well to me it appeared like he was harmlessly taking the piss, but I guess it could easily be interpreted another way as it was by yourself and others.
    Marty is right though, you can't say things like that in the workplace, and with the UFC I guess promoting a fight your basically in the workplace.
    Overall I dont think people should get offended by it, but would agree the UFC can't accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

pbR2ILQAj

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭ItsAnEasyGame

Tickets purchased :D

Middle centre 12 rows up.

HAPPY DAYS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

El Guapo! wrote: »
    pbR2ILQAj

Well that nipped that in the bud.. Moving on, did anyone get tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Tickets purchased :D

Middle centre 12 rows up.

HAPPY DAYS!!

fair play how much they set you back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

Got 2 floor seats for $412. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mmadouvih

ps3man wrote: »
    Well that nipped that in the bud.. Moving on, did anyone get tickets?

'Got 6th row courtside risers... delihred! Would literally have hand-picked the ones I got given the choice. Can't believe it! Palms well sweaty having booked flights last week.

Watch the last 42 seats on the Friday Aer Lingus disapear o'ernight now...

#BrapBrapFirstPost

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭ItsAnEasyGame

akelly02 wrote: »
    fair play how much they set you back?

$204, they were the best available in our chosen section.
    Locomotion wrote: »
    Got 2 floor seats for $412. Can't wait!

Nice man, we voted between floor and stands and stands won 3-2. Either or was good for me.

Im gonna lay off the excitement now until after the Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Well to me it appeared like he was harmlessly taking the piss,

How it appears to you, or even how it was intended, is utterly irrelevant. You have to consider how it would 'appear' to the people at whom such a comment is aimed.

Also if a comment is aimed at a person, purely on the basis of their nationality, then ALL people of that nationality (at least) have the right to feel aggrieved by it. Many many non-Germans would feel offended by what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

John_D80 wrote: »
    How it appears to you, or even how it was intended, is utterly irrelevant. You have to consider how it would 'appear' to the people at whom such a comment is aimed.

Also if a comment is aimed at a person, purely on the basis of their nationality, then ALL people of that nationality (at least) have the right to feel aggrieved by it. Many many non-Germans would feel offended by what he said.

offended.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

offended.jpg

Agree with that, but fairly sure the sentiment doesn't apply to completely tactless comments like in this case. It's the equivalent of calling someone from the south of the US a slave owner. Unless it's a friend who you're having the craic with it's completely ignorant. It's not funny and solely appeals to the lowest common denominator. Big Conor fan but when you trash talk as much as him you are bound to overstep the mark on occasion. This is one of those times

No different to spud muncher, or some other reference to the famine.

Insensitive, but hardly a hate crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Why are people getting offended on Sivers behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Because PC brigade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

Never been offended in my life, and I could give two ****s what Siver makes of it. There is a way to go about calling someone a Nazi, even a german. This wasn't funny or clever enough. His 'apology tweet' was fairly funny though. "Now about them feet"

PC brigade my arse

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement