Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dave1982 wrote: »
    I preferred MMA 3-4 years ago there is too much much of it now and hard to follow, I'd prefer 8 big events a year now we get nearly 8 events a month.

There's typically 1 PPV per month, and 2 or 3 other events. Next year, will be 45 events total.
    No where near 8 per month, that would be disastrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

main event is scrapped there is a good chance whole card is cancelled cause its not strong enough with out.

That's also wrong considering there's only ever been two canclled events. In fairness to them they have done quite well to replace some injuries in recent months that looked disastrous.

I do agree that it could be less Saturated, it doesn't necessarily bother me though. The only thing that reall does is two mediocre cards on the same them when they could easily be put into one decent event ala the Australai and Brazil events earlier. Obviously the Australian event turned out to be a cracker though so it made up for the half card!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭crybaby

Mellor wrote: »
    There's typically 1 PPV per month, and 2 or 3 other events. Next year, will be 45 events total.

Even that is too much though, all of these mad fight nights cards that just seem to pop up out of nowhere and are clearly based around a single fight are just not up to a high enough standard. I would much rather watch a stacked card every 2-3 months than maybe be interested in one fight per month.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

The month of July next year is a joke for events.

Event on the 11th, 12th, 15th and 18th, 25th (and one more date TBC). 4 events in one week. Seriously?

Not a million miles off 8 events in a month.

The month of July next year is a joke for events.

Event on the 11th, 12th, 15th and 18th, 25th (and one more date TBC). 4 events in one week. Seriously?

Not a million miles off 8 events in a month.
    July is always the busiest with Fight week. 6 events that month. But 45 for the year, which is less than 4 a month on average. I'd prefer 25-30 events per year personally but going back to 6 events per year like sone would suggest would stifle the sport massively.
    crybaby wrote: »
    I would much rather watch a stacked card every 2-3 months than maybe be interested in one fight per month.
    This sums up the irony of MMA fans.
    On one hand complaining about too many events, but on the other supporting McGregor and Irish fighters getting a chance. It's one or the other.

An event every 2 months is about 72 fights per year. If fighters fight 2-3 times a year, that means there's room for 6-9 per division, and that's if they drop 115 women and 125 men.
    There be no room for up and coming fighters to prove themselves. So no McGregor, no Khabib, no VanZant :eek:

Sure, sometimes the 2nd rate events aren't worth watching. But they are necessary to figure out how to build the stacked cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I have no problem with it but I don't really like how some people gained an interest only in McGregor and don't bother with the rest of the Irish fighters or mma in general.

It's the same with boxing though. The big personalities, the big performers attract the public attention. How many people who went to see Steve Collins fight would have ever stepped inside the National Stadium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

It's the same with boxing though. The big personalities, the big performers attract the public attention. How many people who went to see Steve Collins fight would have ever stepped inside the National Stadium?

Same with gaa. Otherwise you'd see 70,000 at league matches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Same with anything where Irish are concerned.
    Don't know where this thing is we're a "nation of begrudgers" came from.
    Quite the opposite in fact. If any Irish person starts doing remotely well at anything everyone jumps on the bandwagon.
    And it doesn't even have to be Irish.
    I remember when Chelsea started winning titles under Mourinho half the scumbags in cork were going around in Chelsea jerseys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Is it really such a bad thing though? I was a casual MMA fan a few years back but sort of lost my way with it when the likes of Chuck, Tito and Randy retired or moved on from the UFC - since Conor got back on the scene I have become a huge fan and more so than before- have watched most cards this year. Wihtout Conor emerging I dont think I woud have got back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

Im the same, watched it all the time while living overseas, better time difference!!
    But have definitely started watchin more of it since mcgregor has gotten bigger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

And sorry, not just his fights, more interest in the divisions in general :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

yipeeeee wrote: »
    And?

What harm are they doing?

You either didn't read the post correctly or completely misunderstood the point!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

July is always the busiest with Fight week. 6 events that month. But 45 for the year, which is less than 4 a month on average. I'd prefer 25-30 events per year personally but going back to 6 events per year like sone would suggest would stifle the sport massively.

This sums up the irony of MMA fans.
    On one hand complaining about too many events, but on the other supporting McGregor and Irish fighters getting a chance. It's one or the other.

An event every 2 months is about 72 fights per year. If fighters fight 2-3 times a year, that means there's room for 6-9 per division, and that's if they drop 115 women and 125 men.
    There be no room for up and coming fighters to prove themselves. So no McGregor, no Khabib, no VanZant :eek:

Sure, sometimes the 2nd rate events aren't worth watching. But they are necessary to figure out how to build the stacked cards.

Also ironic that for years Irish MMA fans complained that they hadn't come back to Ireland, do they really think if they were restricted to one event a month/two months that Ireland would have a chance of getting an event this year again next year? They really want everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Is this now the casual MMA chat thread or what's the story? I'm so confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I have no problem with it but I don't really like how some people gained an interest only in McGregor and don't bother with the rest of the Irish fighters or mma in general.
    That's not how it works

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Well I wouldn't blame the above poster regarding Pendred.

He has to be one of the most boring fighters in all MMA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

With one of the best come backs ever in the UFC winning him a FON bonus which was subsequently doubled ... right.

He needs to improve everywhere imo, has tons of heart though as everyone keeps raving about. But 9/10 times heart wont win you a fight. Taught he lost to Umalatov and seems to get caught an awful lot. His fight against Spencer should tell a fair story of how hes going to get on.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Is this now the casual MMA chat thread or what's the story? I'm so confused.

Honestly, what do you expect, given the provocative posts by the "anti-band wagoner" group?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I think closing WEC was a mistake if UFC had planned on so many events, they should have opened up more divisions in the WEC get the so far "unknown" fighters some hype behind them, then maybe if there is a dominant champion in the WEC who defends the title lets say 2-3 times he get automatic title shot at the Champion in their division in the UFC, Champion V Champion are huge fights, we had them with the merger of Pride and the UFC.

If the kept WEC open and had less UFC PPV's there would be more excitement, the American paying $50 now for events must be pissed compared to what $50 got them few years back where any fight on the card could be a main event.

At end of the day the UFC is a business they are there to make money at the moment the are lacking PPV draws, Conor is definitely going to be there No1 PPV draw

• Advertisement

I think closing WEC was a mistake if UFC had planned on some many events, they should have opened up more divisions in the WEC get the so far "unknown" fighters some hype behind them, then maybe if there is a dominant champion in the WEC who defends the tile lets say 3 times he get automatic title shot at the Champion in their division in the UFC, Champion V Champion are huge fights, we had them with the merger of Pride and the UFC.

If the kept WEC open and had less UFC PPV's there would be more excitement, the American paying $50 now for events must be pissed compared to what $50 got them few years back where any fight on the card could be a main event

Yep exactly, all this new talent they have coming in from each countries could have gone under the WEC, then they took there pick form the best along with doing the champion v champion matches would have been fairly awesome idea, obviously costs would be an issue but im sure it wouldnt be that big of a factor. Like the way the WWE uses NXT now for all there development talent.

The idea if a feeder promotion makes a lot of sense on paper. But if it ends up being 1 PPV, 1 Fight Night, 1-2 WEC events per month, is there much difference?

And, if UFC dublin had if been a WEC event, would it have been as memorable?

The idea if a feeder promotion makes a lot of sense on paper. But if it ends up being 1 PPV, 1 Fight Night, 1-2 WEC events per month, is there much difference?

And, if UFC dublin had if been a WEC event, would it have been as memorable?

Well if I was implementing it id keep the WEC events solely in the USA as it would make more business sense with the UFC brand obviously going to sell alot better outside the USA. Then with the fighters coming through the WEC in theory all cards would have been stronger.

ASOT wrote: »
    Well if I was implementing it id keep the WEC events solely in the USA as it would make more business sense with the UFC brand obviously going to sell alot better outside the USA. Then with the fighters coming through the WEC in theory all cards would have been stronger.
    That's a pretty good suggestion.
    The same amount of fights put on, but promoted better.

The Penultimate Fighting Championships

That's a pretty good suggestion.
    The same amount of fights put on, but promoted better.

The Penultimate Fighting Championships

Yeah id say it could have worked in that sense, they may have missed a big opportunity in my opinion. It means newer fighters getting alot more promotion before moving to the UFC, allowing them to gather a following etc and for fans to become familiar. Then with fight pass it could have taken off even more. Basically what WWE use NXT for in Pro Wrestling, gather a fan base for there NXT stars before transitioning them into the WWE main rosters.

In theory they could set up a promotion now and start doing this at some point but obviously I dont think they would do it for various reasons. Seems to be happening with Invicta, with that being on fight pass iv managed to get to see a few events and getting familiar with some of the fighters then its only a matter or time before there signed to the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

i think the UFC are doing just fine. Many of these lower quality cards have produced some very good fights / cards (Oz) , some (mainly in Brazil) have been poor., imo the more MMA on the better

They strick me as a progressive organisation and i have no doubt they will keep evolving

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

So if it was Croker and 80K odd seated tickets sold,

a) Pity the fools miles up at the back and top of the stadium
    b) Pity the fools seated miles from the octagon placed at the centre of the field ie. everybody..?
    b) Will the field surrounding the octagon be empty...space for 20 thousand fans...so now are we looking for 100k tickets..not a chance...aviva it is

Bring it back to the O2, practically cageside I was the last event, it was graaaand ! Stadium would be cool, but I feel the fans might be placed to far from the action ?

Stuxnet wrote: »
    So if it was Croker and 80K odd seated tickets sold,

a) Pity the fools miles up at the back and top of the stadium
    b) Pity the fools seated miles from the octagon placed at the centre of the field ie. everybody..?
    b) Will the field surrounding the octagon be empty...space for 20 thousand fans...so now are we looking for 100k tickets..not a chance...aviva it is

Bring it back to the O2, practically cageside I was the last event, it was graaaand ! Stadium would be cool, but I feel the fans might be placed to far from the action ?

Valid points, maybe tv screens above the octagon might be needed.

Saipanne wrote: »
    Valid points, maybe tv screens above the octagon might be needed.

There's screens above the octagon at all events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I think Croke Park is far too big for a UFC fight, even the front row in the stands would be miles from the cage. The aviva would be a much better choice, but huge screens would still be needed. 50k in the stands, about 10k on the pitch. Sorted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement