Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Even if the UFC are looking to book a stadium, there's nothing to say they have intentions of selling the full capacity. They can use 'sold out arena' as a
    tagline to inflate Conor, while for either stadium not opening the top tiers or altering the set up to reduce the capacity on the night.

I guess we'll know on January 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Even if the UFC are looking to book a stadium, there's nothing to say they have intentions of selling the full capacity. They can use 'sold out arena' as a
    tagline to inflate Conor, while for either stadium not opening the top tiers or altering the set up to reduce the capacity on the night.

I guess we'll know on January 19th.

Exactly this point, in reality though it wont just be selling to the Irish, depending on how strong the card is people will basically travel from all over Europe imo because of how easy it is to get to Dublin and usually how cheap it is. But exactly well see what its announced either way whatever they do I think it will sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Redditor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Redditor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Stuxnet wrote: »
    So if it was Croker and 80K odd seated tickets sold,

a) Pity the fools miles up at the back and top of the stadium
    b) Pity the fools seated miles from the octagon placed at the centre of the field ie. everybody..?
    b) Will the field surrounding the octagon be empty...space for 20 thousand fans...so now are we looking for 100k tickets..not a chance...aviva it is

Bring it back to the O2, practically cageside I was the last event, it was graaaand ! Stadium would be cool, but I feel the fans might be placed to far from the action ?

Plus the high probability of rain if they had it in a stadium here - nothing to do with my username, just saying like.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

The other thing about a stadium show, would be what time of the day it would take place. If it's a 60k stadium show for a UFC title then it would have to be a numbered PPV, and the UFC will always cater for their American PPV market, because that's their big money spinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The more i think of a stadium fight the more i think it will happen, look at Wembley Stadium, how many fights over the years has that held, most of them 80k sell outs.

As for the time, it will be a normal start (undercard 17:30, main card 20:00), they'd never get a license for a late one (e.g. Sweden)

I'd say it'd be a Fox card, broadcast on tape delay in the U.S, Fox would love it, an Irish guy fighing for the title in Dublin in front of 50k mad irishmen, ya can't buy that publicity.

As for Gate Reciepts, it will smash ANY event EVER held in Ireland, no question

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dulux99 wrote: »
    The other thing about a stadium show, would be what time of the day it would take place. If it's a 60k stadium show for a UFC title then it would have to be a numbered PPV, and the UFC will always cater for their American PPV market, because that's their big money spinner.

Not necessarily. They've had european title fights before.
    The alternative, is that it happens in Melbourne, McGregor is also been suggested for that event too.
    scudzilla wrote: »
    As for Gate Reciepts, it will smash ANY event EVER held in Ireland, no question
    Sporting event probably. But not ANY event.

There's been plenty of concerts with well over 100k people. Slane, Robbie Williams, Eminem. I doubt the UFC could catch up with those events. That's not including 2/3 day events obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mellor wrote: »
    Not necessarily. They've had european title fights before.
    The alternative, is that it happens in Melbourne, McGregor is also been suggested for that event too.

Sporting event probably. But not ANY event.

There's been plenty of concerts with well over 100k people. Slane, Robbie Williams, Eminem. I doubt the UFC could catch up with those events. That's not including 2/3 day events obviously.

100k people paying €60 a ticket or 50k people paying a MINIMUM of €70 with an average price of around 150.

It'll smash any record, no doubt about it

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    100k people paying €60 a ticket or 50k people paying a MINIMUM of €70 with an average price of around 150.

It'll smash any record, no doubt about it
    €70 minimum? Would be shocked if they bumped them that high.
    I think the O2 started around €50 too. If the back sections are considerable worse. I'd imagine they'll stay at €50, and they average price could even come down as the nose bleeds make up more proportionally. I'd say it'll be 5-6 million gate.

Even so, 50k people paying €150 on average. Is probably still behind the largest concerts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Don't you think that Aldo would have to be stupid to agree to this? He's the champ. His number 1. demand would surely be that McGregor would have to come to him or that the fight would be in the US.

It would be like Chelsea agreeing to play Man City for the premiership title in Manchester City's own stadium. 98% of the fans would cheering against him. I just can't see why Aldo would ever agree to it. If it happens then it's evidence that the UFC are doing all they can to hand McGregor the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    Don't you think that Aldo would have to be stupid to agree to this? He's the champ. His number 1. demand would surely be that McGregor would have to come to him or that the fight would be in the US.

It would be like Chelsea agreeing to play Man City for the premiership title in Manchester City's own stadium. 98% of the fans would cheering against him. I just can't see why Aldo would ever agree to it. If it happens then it's evidence that the UFC are doing all they can to hand McGregor the title.

I'm fairly sure UFC call the shots (compared to boxing where the fighters/promoters sort all out)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

What choice does he have really? Its all about money, and McGregor is one of UFCs top draws right now.

Its already been decided that Rory McDonald will fight for the Welterweight title in Canada because it'll sell out and get great numbers too.

Aldo's pay per view numbers are usually poor. He admitted he shoved Mendes in the build up of UFC 179 to try and improve the numbers. The money he'd get for main eventing and in his mind probably winning the main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Anyone want to get back to the Siver fight...you know...the fight Conor's got to get through before he has the chance of a title shot...

I'll be at that event and can safely say I'll have a mixture of feeling hyped and sick at the same time...felt similar watching the Poirier fight...the fear of being Serra'd I'd call it...and then all this irish title fight hope dies away, for a bit anyway

I'm confident Siver shouldn't be a problem but I know that that makes no difference the minute the fight starts...it will be over-reaction to every strike taken and given, going between dread and exhiliration ending with the hopeful release of victory

Anyone else feel like this in the Brandao/Poirier fights which were less of a sure thing than Siver...that's what, for me anyway, makes having Conor doing so well in the UFC so great...where else can you get that feeling?

It's electric and the boy's a bit special, no doubt...let's just hope all roads lead to Drumcondra!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kinggo99

GK1001 wrote: »
    Anyone want to get back to the Siver fight...you know...the fight Conor's got to get through before he has the chance of a title shot...

I'll be at that event and can safely say I'll have a mixture of feeling hyped and sick at the same time...felt similar watching the Poirier fight...the fear of being Serra'd I'd call it...and then all this irish title fight hope dies away, for a bit anyway

I'm confident Siver shouldn't be a problem but I know that that makes no difference the minute the fight starts...it will be over-reaction to every strike taken and given, going between dread and exhiliration ending with the hopeful release of victory

Anyone else feel like this in the Brandao/Poirier fights which were less of a sure thing than Siver...that's what, for me anyway, makes having Conor doing so well in the UFC so great...where else can you get that feeling?

It's electric and the boy's a bit special, no doubt...let's just hope all roads lead to Drumcondra!

I know what u mean for sure,but i think it's crazy the way people are writing off Siver,i don't mean you just generally a lot of the Conor haters are writing it off as a mismatch but the same people saying Conor is not a legitimate top 5 guy but yet when fighting Siver who is number 10 ranked its a total mismatch to them,you can't win with some people.

But i would be a bit concerned to be honest because Conor in his last 2 fights he won before the bell rang,both Poirer and Brandao wilted as soon as the fight started and folded under the pressure.

Siver definitely won't wilt he is too experienced and it will suit him being considered more of an underdog than he really is,potential banana skin but hopefully Conor is fully focused and doesn't get caught.

kinggo99 wrote: »
    But i would be a bit concerned to be honest because Conor in his last 2 fights he won before the bell rang,both Poirer and Brandao wilted as soon as the fight started and folded under the pressure.
    I don't think pressure had any thing to do with it. Immediately before the the strike that put then down, McGregor landed a big hit. In Brandao's case, that one did most of the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

'Wilted' lol. McGregor is pelting them in the face with power shots, and it's the pre-fight pressure that causes them to under-perform.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'd say Siver will try to take this fight to the ground as much as possible, that's how he won his last fight and had some success there against Swanson iirc. Against Cerrone he got destroyed on the feet and hopefully he'll plan accordingly for McGregor

• Advertisement

I know what u mean for sure,but i think it's crazy the way people are writing off Siver,i don't mean you just generally a lot of the Conor haters are writing it off as a mismatch but the same people saying Conor is not a legitimate top 5 guy but yet when fighting Siver who is number 10 ranked its a total mismatch to them,you can't win with some people.

Siver definitely won't wilt he is too experienced and it will suit him being considered more of an underdog than he really is,potential banana skin but hopefully Conor is fully focused and doesn't get caught.

Hardly wilted, if you watch the fights back you see that after every exchange Poirer and Brandao came off second best.

Poirer was finished with a punch that happened about 2 exchanges before McGregor eventually finished him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kinggo99

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Hardly wilted, if you watch the fights back you see that after every exchange Poirer and Brandao came off second best.

Poirer was finished with a punch that happened about 2 exchanges before McGregor eventually finished him.

Getting a lot of replies on my "wilted" term,i would be one of his biggest supporters generally on forums and stuff and i actually have a bet from a while back on him to be champion by 2016 with paddypower,i'm not having a go.

In fact i'm just highlighting how he used his thrash talk to get into their heads pre fight and it helped him win easier.

But if people are objective and watch the Poirer fight again Poirer was on wobbly legs almost as soon as they exchanged,he was a bundle of nerves,as for Brandao,again i know Conor caught him with a kick to the stomach i think and winded him but he was looking for a bit of easy out imo,and thats not taking anything away from Conor but i was just saying that Siver while i still expect him to lose he won't be a bundle of nerves from thrash talk.

Getting a lot of replies on my "wilted" term,i would be one of his biggest supporters generally on forums and stuff and i actually have a bet from a while back on him to be champion by 2016 with paddypower,i'm not having a go.

In fact i'm just highlighting how he used his thrash talk to get into their heads pre fight and it helped him win easier
    By all means have a go, there's no rule that you have to blindly follow the guy. But expect to be asked to back any comments up that you said.
    I firmly believe that the trashing talking had Porrier fired up. Going down early had little or nothing to do with being psyched out.
    But if people are objective and watch the Poirer fight again Poirer was on wobbly legs almost as soon as they exchanged,he was a bundle of nerves,as for Brandao,again i know Conor caught him with a kick to the stomach i think and winded him but he was looking for a bit of easy out imo,and thats not taking anything away from Conor but i was just saying that Siver while i still expect him to lose he won't be a bundle of nerves from thrash talk.
    He was on wobbly legs after the early exchange because he connected. As for Brandao, there was a highlight video on BJPenn.com last week that had a great angle for the finish. He was hurt before the finish.
    I think its silly for anyone to pretend to know, one way or the other, how much either guy was hurt and how much they wanted out. Personally, I’ve seen both Porrier and Brandao in wars before, so I’ve no reason to think that either fighter wasn’t hurt.

Regardless, I don’t think Siver is going to be any better prepared mentally then they were. He’s lost badly to better strikers before, he’s has to be thinking about that coming into this. I imagine the lost to cub affected him mentally if he tested positive the very next fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Yup, Brandao was badly hurt as he circled into a spinning back kick and ate a heel to the chin, which stumbled him. That was the finisher for him. Poirier took a massive left hook behind the the ear about 15 seconds before the actual finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

He'll be in HMV Grafton St on Saturday but you have to buy tickets for it or buy the Notorious DVD on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭IanMc666

Is it absolutely only people with wristbands that will be able to go into HMV tomorrow or is there any chance of getting in otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Gumbi wrote: »
    Yup, Brandao was badly hurt as he circled into a spinning back kick and ate a heel to the chin, which stumbled him. That was the finisher for him. Poirier took a massive left hook behind the the ear about 15 seconds before the actual finish.

Yeah I thought that too when I first saw it and again when I watched it back. It seems to get overlooked or ignored because Dan Hardy on commentary said that Brandao slipped. In reality it looked like a fairly clean connection and Brandao was done after that.

Gumbi wrote: »

Poirer took a few leg kicks aswell which seemed to hurt him.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JDM Jack

I've read a lot of comments by UFC fans, both indifferent and skeptical of Conor's ability but they know now he has genuine talent and can strike as good as any, it's just his ground work now that people doubt. If Siver takes it to the ground, we'll get to see how he is.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the fight pans out and what will happen afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

JDM Jack wrote: »
    I've read a lot of comments by UFC fans, both indifferent and skeptical of Conor's ability but they know now he has genuine talent and can strike as good as any, it's just his ground work now that people doubt. If Siver takes it to the ground, we'll get to see how he is.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the fight pans out and what will happen afterwards.

Who cares if his ground work isn't great?

Its called mixes martial arts, if he can beat someone and not give them a chance to use their wrestling if its their strong point, then that is some talent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement