Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

JJayoo wrote: »
    That would make it even more of a joke.

Conor might indeed have some of the best hands in the UFC but it will take a lot more fights to establish that stat.
    Pretty sure the piece is an opinion piece, i.e. Kenny Florians opinion, and not a stat...read before you write:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Just wanted to have a look back at the last Boston McGregor fight on fight pass, for his walk in they have dubbed over his walk in music and added some corny guitar ****e on top of it. Anyone else experience this or just me? Any reason for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The UFC don't own rights to his entrance music, so they can't include it in their fight library or on their DVDs.
    Happens virtually to all fighters' entrances, when that choose a commercial/established song.

Edit: FWIW the entrance music was The Foggy Dew by The Chieftains, and Hypnotize by Notorious B.I.G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Mellor wrote: »
    The UFC don't own rights to his entrance music, so they can't include it in their fight library or on their DVDs.
    Happens virtually to all fighters' entrances, when that choose a commercial/established song.

Edit: FWIW the entrance music was The Foggy Dew by The Chieftains, and Hypnotize by Notorious B.I.G.

Thats not really good enough for a paid for service.. I love Fight Pass but it is far from perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

ps3man wrote: »
    Thats not really good enough for a paid for service.. I love Fight Pass but it is far from perfect

Even on the old DVD's of events you never got the walk out music of the fighter, think about it, average of 20 fighters per card, that's 20 songs they'd have to pay royalty/copyright to, FAR cheaper for them just to cut it

ps3man wrote: »
    Im sure they'd rather keep the original entrances, but record companies are hugely protective of music rights these days.

Even happens on youtube. I uploaded a video from the gym a while ago. Got a popup saying the rights to the song (playing on the radio in the background) belong to Sony, so they removed it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Mellor wrote: »

I thought he used 'Shipping up to Boston' for that event, I might be getting mixed up though.

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    I thought he used 'Shipping up to Boston' for that event, I might be getting mixed up though.

Sorry, for some reason I read Boston as Brandao, was talking about the Dublin event.

For Boston he used "She Moved Through The Fair" by Sinead o Connor along with Shipping up to Boston

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Youtube, btw, automates that copyright system with a program called Content ID... its freakin' scary as it analyses the video and compares it with a vast vast collection of music and automatically directs your ad revenue to the copyright holder (pending appeal, which almost never works :) ).
    To broadcast a piece one time to a stadium costs a bit, but nothing like the cost of recording it onto something like a DVD or an internet player like Fightpass. Depending on the popularity of the song you are talking anywhere from 3K to 500K for a single song. Most likely around 25k.

Multiplied by 20 fighters a night... not going to happen :)

Even live broadcasting the walkin's would cost but considerably less (because its not "on demand"). Hence (partly) why not many get the full walk in treatment IMHO.

When this new documentary coming out does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

January I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Conor said in that interview above it will be out around the same time as the fight in Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

DeVore wrote: »
    Youtube, btw, automates that copyright system with a program called Content ID... its freakin' scary as it analyses the video and compares it with a vast vast collection of music and automatically directs your ad revenue to the copyright holder (pending appeal, which almost never works :) ).
    To broadcast a piece one time to a stadium costs a bit, but nothing like the cost of recording it onto something like a DVD or an internet player like Fightpass. Depending on the popularity of the song you are talking anywhere from 3K to 500K for a single song. Most likely around 25k.

Multiplied by 20 fighters a night... not going to happen :)

Even live broadcasting the walkin's would cost but considerably less (because its not "on demand"). Hence (partly) why not many get the full walk in treatment IMHO.

Very interesting. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

Pretty sure they also edit a lot of the commentary on Fight Pass

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

GK1001 wrote: »
    Pretty sure the piece is an opinion piece, i.e. Kenny Florians opinion, and not a stat...read before you write:cool:

Any group of variables when ranked as ordinal data can be called a stat, so ya maybe think before you write, and maybe contribute to a point instead of trying to nit pick on the wording.

Any group of variables when ranked as ordinal data can be called a stat, so ya maybe think before you write, and maybe contribute to a point instead of trying to nit pick on the wording.

I'm genuinely not trying to start a row here mate but where does ordinal data even come into this??

At no stage did Florian present anything even resembling ordinal data.

John_D80 wrote: »
    I'm genuinely not trying to start a row here mate but where does ordinal data even come into this??

At no stage did Florian present anything even resembling ordinal data.

Ordinal Data is just when you rank something such as a top 5 list, so in the list number 1 is better than number 2 etc, number 2 is better than number 3 etc, however you wouldn't say that number 2 in the list is twice as good as number 4.

I just mentioned it because a few posters seemed to have an issue with the fact that I used the word "stat" in regards to the top 5 that was listed.

Ordinal Data is just when you rank something such as a top 5 list, so in the list number 1 is better than number 2 etc, number 2 is better than number 3 etc, however you wouldn't say that number 2 in the list is twice as good as number 4.

I just mentioned it because a few posters seemed to have an issue with the fact that I used the word "stat" in regards to the top 5 that was listed.

Well yeah because in fairness you were kind of taking it a bit seriously for what is plainly two guys opinions. Put forward in a fun space filling segment. Purely their opinions. Boxing or any other skill is impossible to quantify as a statistic when everybody has different opinions on what makes a boxer great.

I totally disagree with pretty much every selection on both guys lists but I'm not going to get worked up over it. It was just for fun.

PS: I know what ordinal data is but the reason I said that it was not an example of same was because I doubt Kenny Florian put very much time or consideration into it.

• Advertisement

Well yeah because in fairness you were kind of taking it a bit seriously for what is plainly two guys opinions. Put forward in a fun space filling segment. Purely their opinions. Boxing or any other skill is impossible to quantify as a statistic when everybody has different opinions on what makes a boxer great.

I totally disagree with pretty much every selection on both guys lists but I'm not going to get worked up over it. It was just for fun.

PS: I know what ordinal data is but the reason I said that it was not an example of same was because I doubt Kenny Florian put very much time or consideration into it.

Nope I just gave my opinion that I thought it was a joke, one sentence. Mellor disagreed and explained why he though Conor could get on the list and made some good points, which is what a forum is for.

Nope I just gave my opinion that I thought it was a joke, one sentence. Mellor disagreed and explained why he though Conor could get on the list and made some good points, which is what a forum is for.

Right that's all lovely, but do you still maintain that Florian based his selections on a stat as opposed to opinion??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Right that's all lovely, but do you still maintain that Florian based his selections on a stat as opposed to opinion??

How the **** is "best boxer" ever a stat and not an opinion? Seriously man, are you thick? Quantifying "best boxer" is not a science by any stretch. Calling Tyson one of the greatest HW boxers ever is not a stat. It's an opinion. THe fact it's probably a fair one is irrelevant.

And by the way, Florian has been extremely impressed with Conor from day one and thinks he can dethrone Aldo (as far back as Brimage he has been praising him).

Obviously it was Florian's opinion,the clue was in him saying it was his top 5 list. But when you make a list, such as the one he made, you can refer to the list as a stat if you want as it contains data ie ordinal data.

So Florian's list then becomes a stat even though it is based solely on his opinion. So for example if all the current UFC fighters gave their top 5 you could then analyses those statistics (stats) using a program such as SPSS and find out the top 5 guys based on the opinion of all the fighters.

I think this is your 3rd post referring to my use of the word stat :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I'm facepalming so hard right now.

Gumbi wrote: »
    How the **** is "best boxer" ever a stat and not an opinion? Seriously man, are you thick? Quantifying "best boxer" is not a science by any stretch. Calling Tyson one of the greatest HW boxers ever is not a stat. It's an opinion. THe fact it's probably a fair one is irrelevant.

Mate that's pretty much exactly what I said. I have been saying that you CANT possibly decide who is the best based on stats. You should re read my posts before you call me thick.

It is the other poster Jay who is saying Florians list is a statistic. Not me.

Actually I have rewatched the video and I now 100% agree with Florian's opinion that Conor deserves to be in a top 5 list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

xtal191 wrote: »

Lucky I don't have epilepsy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

xtal191 wrote: »

Gonna be anything on Fight Night Dublin?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement